Six horizontal lines

Answer, the music shop
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

❝Six horizontal lines

_______________________________________________________________________________
                                  Never judge a book by its cover.

 

Never judge a book by it’s cover, because who knows, everyone gets to learn something even from the simplest-looking book on earth. That was the motto Sunggyu grew up with, and tried to make everyone around him believe. However, there were many instances in which he too, judged others based on their appearance, despite how hard he tried to. Maybe everyone was bound to do that sometime or another during the course of their lives, and even Sunggyu and his staff were not spared.

 

It was just another morning in the music shop, before the doors were opened to the customers...

 

“Why do you want to work here? Ms... ” She looked at the piece of paper Woohyun was holding. “Hwang Yerin?”

 

Hyerim had her arms folded in front of her chest, looking at the female in front of her in a judgemental manner. The other female had barged into the shop early in the morning, before the opening hours. Sunggyu had not arrived yet, therefore Woohyun and Hyerim had no choice but to try to settle the problem by themselves.

 

“I need experience.”

 

The said female had her hair tied into a simple ponytail, clad in a simple pink blouse and pencil skirt. She looked as if she was really for some office work, and not for a person who was ready to work in a simple small music shop.

 

“For?” The next question was from Woohyun, his posture bearing an uncanny resemblance to Hyerim as he stared her up and down. “Our shop needs no competitors now, we just started and are making a loss.” He sounded serious, and Hyerim fought the urge to jab Woohyun in the chest because she actually agreed with him on that point. She looked as if she was only after the salary the music shop could give her, and not to pursue her passions, which was exactly the type of person Woohyun hated.

 

“I want to pursue a future in music” Her answer was simple, but the silence she received simply prompted her to elaborate on her words. “I want to know what is it like to work in a music shop and to help others pursue their passions.”

 

Hyerim raised an eyebrow while Woohyun parted his lips to ask the next question, only to be interrupted by a groan from the back of the shop. “Woohyun, Hyerim, who are you guys talking to?”

 

They decided not to give any reply, leaving Sunggyu with no choice but to trudge unwillingly to the counter as quickly as his tired legs could handle. He then found himself standing face-to-face with a certain female in a certain pencil dress. “Well who do we have here? And how on Earth did you even get in?”

 

Woohyun handed the piece of paper to Sunggyu. “She managed to break in here this morning, talented kid.” Sarcasm was dripping from his voice as he looked at the girl with disdain written all over his face. She smiled sheepishly, and Sunggyu turned to the glass door with a horrified expression spread across his face, mentally calculating the costs needed to fix it, and deciding not to marvel over the fact that the female was determined enough to get the job to break into the shop early in the morning.

 

“She didn’t do much damage to it, other than the fact that you’ll have to replace the lock tonight.” Hyerim reported, professionalism evident in her words. She decided not to say anything about Yerin, considering the fact that she had not known the female long enough for her to make any judgements. “And apparently she’s here to get a job.”

 

“We have not enough money to feed another mouth though… I’m barely getting by and incense candles actually cost money.”

 

“How expensive can incense candles get?” Woohyun pouted as Yerin looked a little haunted by the conversation going on in front of her. “I lived as a hungry ghost for two whole years, mind you.”

 

“Why does she want to come here, of all places?”

 

“She said that she wanted to know what is it like to work in a music shop and help others pursue their passion.” Hyerim recited the information she could remember to the best of her abilities, her eyes darting between Sunggyu and Yerin, just to ensure that her information was correct, ignoring the slightly terrified expression Yerin wore on her face.

 

“May I know…”

 

“They’re ghosts, in case you were wondering.” Sunggyu informed the bewildered female. “If you’re scared of them, this job is not for you. And they’re nice people, so it’s your loss.”

 

“Does that mean you’re going to…” Woohyun started, indignant in his voice, only to be cut off by Sunggyu.

 

“If we don’t make a profit, you won’t get a salary. Is that fine?”

 

The female nodded enthusiastically, and Hyerim could do nothing but to smile in the friendliest manner possible. “And Woohyun, we can always use more help.”

 

Woohyun clearly did not seem too happy with the arrangement. But what can I do when you are the one calling the shots?

 

That was how Yerin started working in the music shop she was currently standing in, getting to know people from all walks of life, and even helping some of them with issues pertaining to life. Unlike other music shops, this shop had a human touch to it, and she had to admit the fact that she loved it a lot. Maybe except for the fact that a certain male ghost had taken a liking to picking on her...

 

“Welcome!”

 

The door opened with a chime, as Yerin looked up from her work of dusting the shelves. A tall lanky male then stumbled into the shop, a horrified look adorning his features. She coked her head to a side, as the male leapt towards her, as if he was running away from something, or someone to be exact.

 

“Sir?”

 

Yerin squirmed uncomfortably as the male customer clung onto her, gripping tightly onto her arms. He was trembling -- from fear, or at least what she believed.

 

“Sir? What’s wrong?”

 

He did not seem like he was listening to her, as his teeth chattered in a nervous manner. She shook her head, before leading the both of them to the back of the counter. “Now would you tell me what’s wrong?”

 

The male took a moment to calm his nerves before taking a proper look at Yerin. He looked stunned, and ended up staring at her open-mouth. It would have been creepy, if not for his cleanly-shaven face which hinted the fact that he was not some shady character.

 

“Sir?”

 

She waved a hand awkwardly in front of his face, before a goofy grin appeared from the centre of his lips. “I’m hiding from my creditors…” He scratched the back of his head awkwardly, staring into her eyes.

 

“This is a music shop, if they…” She frowned this time, folding her arms in front of her chest, as if she was trying to reason with someone who was not listening to her.

 

He laughe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter