Part I

"We love not with our hearts, but with our souls."

I


 

The past had always been ambiguous for Taekwoon and Wonshik; or rather, unknown, not unclear. What they both knew for certain was that they had always been together. From the earliest memory they could pull up it had been the two of them, always. From what they had heard in the dungeons and stale torture rooms their blood was from an ancient origin – dragons. No one knew how it was possible and as far as their limited knowledge stretched, dragons could not transform into humans, or less, a humanoid form. It was a mystery that tickled the curiosity of many, drawing many sorcerers from across the seas and lands. How word got out of these magnificent creatures was also an anonymous whisper for magic was feared amongst the commoners. Anyone merely suspected of practicing such ‘atrocities’ were sentenced to death, either burned at the stake or drowned in the murkiest bodies of water. If word had gotten out to the common people that their trusted royal rulers practiced such demonic forms of worship it would truly be the birth of hell on Earth. Thus, in secrecy, the most horrendous and inhumane deeds were committed.

The moment Wonshik was thrown back into the stone-walled prison Taekwoon launched himself from the shadows and gathered the limp male into his arms. A vicious snarl left his lips, initially drawing a flinch from the guards that had thrown the abused male inside though their fear quickly turned into sadistic amusement at the sight of the pitiful males. They were kept barely alive, pallid skin clinging desperately onto their prominent bones; eyes sunken; cheeks hollowed; lips dry and cracked, flaking with blood from dehydration and malnutrition. It was a wonder to the both of them how they were still alive after all they had been forced to go through, or in more truthful words, give. Every day was the same – one or the other would be forced to sacrifice multiple parts of themselves, whether it be blood or hair or nails or even . The blood that trickled through their veins was powerful, priceless, yet the magic that gave them life was also responsible for their torture. If they took hair they would pull it out at the roots; nails, ripped out of the bed; blood, skin sliced and hung to be drained like livestock prepared for consumption; and , forced into ual deeds until the mere thought of such intimacy had cause a slight malfunction of their male bodies, thus facing a more painful method of extraction; it was always until there was nothing because it was the only way they would regenerate fast enough to meet the stock requests. The guards sneered once more, sharing a crude joke between them before leaving the pair to suffer alone in the cold and darkness.

Their chance came when Taekwoon had been returned to their cell for the rest of the day. Between the two of them, Taekwoon had always been the more predatory and ruthless. Perhaps it was because he felt more responsibility as the eldest of the pair, or that he knew Wonshik would not have been able to live with blood staining his hands. However, Taekwoon could live with that guilt if it were for the greater reason of his younger counterpart’s freedom. It was foolish of them to appoint some of the freshest batch of guards to Taekwoon back. They had no experience with violence or fights so it was easy for the dragonoid tear through their tender flesh and render them lifeless. Locating the rusty, metallic keys were of no difficulty and neither was getting Wonshik out. The younger, however, looked extremely concern. Though Taekwoon’s cuts had healed he was still weak from the blood loss, and thank god that was all they had taken from him that day. There was simply no time for more when the palace had to prepare for the annual festivities, and none for the two males to spare as they ran through the deserted hall ways and staircases. Despite the seemingly easy escape route, the two knew better than to underestimate the gifted situation. The fresh air that hit their face was almost overwhelming, the crispness almost injuring their arid skin and dulled senses. It was only for a second that they let it set them back; they had no time to spare.

The back wall towered over them maliciously, taunting them as their unprompted escape was literally blocked. Their acute hearing picked up a flurry of frenzied and horrified screams from within the thickness of the castle and they knew they had to act faster. The initial reaction was to climb the wall but it was slow and ineffective. They had barely scaled half way up when the clanking of armour and more shouting and yelling caught up to their backsides much too close for their liking. A flock of arrows flew through the air all with the intent of bringing them down. Only one almost succeeded, shooting through Taekwoon’s side but luckily missing anything vital; though that itself was inaccurate as the older male was in a weak enough state as he was already. A pained cry followed the after the strike and Wonshik acted on instinct, jumping back off the wall and spreading his wings out. The sudden emergence of the astounding reptilian like membranes put the knights below in a jaw-dropping statue-like state. The first downward of his wide wings created enough wind force to topple over men within a few metres. Wonshik took the created advantage to grab onto the injured male and quickly flew off too high for those offending arrows to even dream about sailing.

Not once did he stop even though he had not a single clue as to where they were and where they were going and his whole body ached from the hours of exertion. The sun had been quick to settle, leaving in its set only the dim remnants of its light in warning for Wonshik to settle down soon. Below him spread a forest, trees scattered thickly on the ground but with enough space between its foliage for Wonshik to settle down. His body seemed to fail him the moment he landed but he was more concerned about the other male, shielding his body using his own to prevent further damage from the sloppy impact. By now Taekwoon had become considerably paler, conjuring a new bout of worry from the younger. “Leave me,” he had managed to wheeze out only to be met with a frantic head shake.

“No. I won’t.” Wonshik looked close to tears by this point, his shaking hand pressed around the tender flesh where the arrow had penetrated through Taekwoon’s side. “I wouldn’t pull that out,” a voice came, startling the two creatures. Their concern for one another had blocked off their sense from their surroundings, causing them to be unaware of the stranger’s presence until now. A yelp came after, paired with eyes full of fear as Wonshik pinned the stranger against the coarse bark of a nearby tree. “You will help us,” he growled deep in his chest. The stranger’s eyes wandered to the figure on the ground who was barely alive, fighting for breath. Though he nods in submission to the threat the hand around his neck does not cease in its stronghold. Wonshik’s free arm cradles Taekwoon’s weak body to his own, letting the smaller (he now notices) foreigner guide them to where Taekwoon would get the proper treatment, he hoped.

It turned out that the unknown male lived minutes away by foot. His small cottage was located slightly askew right to the centre of an opening, a good few strides from the road that ran down the middle. A movement caught the corner of his eye and it turned out to be the human reaching out towards Taekwoon. He was quick to push the more fragile kind away, seeing the touch as a threat to his precious partner. “I was just going to bring him inside,” the human explains himself, flinching as he pushes himself off the floor with the help of his hands but that goes unnoticed by Wonshik who only looks at him cautiously. “You might knock things over with your… um, wings.” This time his voice was more timid as though he were afraid to have offended the dragon rather than in fear of being hurt again. Wonshik kept staring as he weighed out the possibilities in his mind. “Look, I’ll leave the window open so you can watch,” again, the stranger speaks and Wonshik nods reluctantly, handing the now-unconscious dragonoid to the human.

True to his word, the smaller stranger does keep the openings free for Wonshik to come through if he went against his words of not hurting the already injured male, not that he would anyway. He lays Taekwoon onto the single bed in the cottage right by the window where Wonshik can watch and the goes to light the fireplace and a few candles, placing them right by the hurt body so he could treat his wounds properly. The human cuts the protruding wooden end of the arrow and sets it aside then looks at Wonshik hesitantly. “I have to pour spirits onto it and then pull it out. It will hurt him a lot,” he warns, not sure who, but just as a precaution. He wouldn’t want to die due to a misunderstanding. From what Wonshik had seen so far the other male really had been helping so he just nods in a silent approval for the other to proceed. The nursing male nods back and grabs a bottle by his side, pouring some onto Taekwoon’s wound. It only makes him jerk but once he starts pulling the buried end it makes Taekwoon scream again. Wonshik growls in warning but this time the human ignores him in favour of concentration, carefully pulling out the bloodied point of weapon from his body. He pours more of the burning spirits into the wound to cleanse it, Taekwoon’s voice long gone by now but his face still twisted in agony at the surge of pain coursing through his body. When the human looks up he notices that Wonshik’s wings had disappeared and, so, waves his hand to beckon him inside. “I need your help to turn him over,” he explains, unfolding a strip of clean cloth to use as a bandage. Soon enough, the injured dragonoid is patched up and resting though he looks far from comfortable. The human, too, looks worn out and chooses to rest by the fireplace since his bed had been taken. Wonshik decides to watch over Taekwoon for the night, unaware that he himself had drifted off to sleep sometime during the span of the moon in the dark sky.

Taekwoon wakes up first that morning, blearily looking around first to decipher his surroundings. He notices that it’s a cottage, someone’s home, and it’s a place that someone currently resides in. This puts him in a panic, causing him to sit up. A sharp gasp falls from his lips at the surge of pain that shoots through his body from his side. Looking down Taekwoon is shocked to see himself patched up yet worried that he hasn’t healed yet. The next thing his eyes fall onto is Wonshik who looks well rested and thus in a slightly better condition than he had been in years. It still does nothing to soothe the anxiety in the pit of his stomach but he notes that his instincts aren’t flaring up any instincts caused by fear. “Wonshik ah,” he places a hand on the younger’s shoulder and shakes him lightly – nothing. Taekwoon tries again, this time succeeding in alerting the younger dragonoid.  The first thing Wonshik does it turn around and look at the spot in front of the fire place. He curses aloud when he sees that it’s no longer occupied and stands up. Taking note of Taekwoon’s still-healing wound the younger decides right there that he had to be the one to protect the both of them again.

The panic is short-lived however because the human who Wonshik had thought has run off to spread word about them walked through the door with a woven basket filled with fresh bread and fruits. Contrary to the events the time before, the human greets them with a smile as he settles his groceries onto the kitchen bench. “You’re probably wondering why you aren’t healing right? It might be because you haven’t eaten.” The both of them look wary when he speaks yet it only causes the mortal to smile. “Don’t worry. I really am only human. I just figured that since you guys are… well, you aren’t human,” he looks cautious with his words again, not wanting to offend the creatures. The two relax slightly when the human starts to display what they interpret as naivety – he had turned his back to them to prepare their first meal.

“I’m Hakyeon,” the man introduces, still receiving no verbal response. It only makes him chuckle. “Don’t worry. You don’t have to tell me anything if you don’t want to. You guys seemed like you were running away so it must be pretty private right? You can hide here as much as you want. It’s not really mapped anyway anywhere. The road itself was made by my father so we would have easier access to the town and our farm. It’s really not big enough to be called a farm though. There aren’t even any animals, not that we need any. It’s kind of sad raising animals only to kill them off. There are plenty of animals in the forest to hunt down anyway.”  And Hakyeon continues to blabber on as he prepares three different plates of bread, spreads and fruits for them to eat. Wonshik zones out first, looking at the older of the pair. His staring draws Taekwoon’s attention and surprisingly it’s Taekwoon who speaks out first. “He talks a lot.”

“Hey!” The indignant shout from the human causes them both to tense and assume a guarded stance which, again, makes Hakyeon laugh but this time sheepishly. He balances all three plates in his arms and Wonshik takes enough pity on the male to reach out for his and Taekwoon’s. Hakyeon slowly sits on the edge of the bed, watching the two males in case they decide that the spot is too close for their comfort but nothing happens so he happily eats his meal. “I’m sorry I talk a lot. I don’t usually get company so it’s nice to have someone around you know,” Hakyeon begins again but it’s really all that he says until they’ve finished eating their meals. Taekwoon and Wonshik are both surprised because the human was clearly aware that they were magical beings yet he didn’t fear them. They said nothing however, still not trusting the human enough to behave as friendly as he did.

“I’ll wash these down at the river,” Hakyeon holds his hands out to the other two once they’re all done. He doesn’t ask them to help him down because: one, he knows they don’t trust him enough and, two, he knows that the injured one can’t move yet and his partner wouldn’t leave him alone. The days pass the same way – Hakyeon talking too much, preparing food for them and then washing up and cleaning everything while the two dragonoids remain static. Hakyeon doesn’t blame them though. He would be twice, not thrice… no, a billion times more afraid if he had been in their position, even if he didn’t know exactly what they’d been through.

It was nearing the end of their first month spent together when the two dragonoids approached Hakyeon down at his little farm. The human really hadn’t given the dainty beauty enough credit. Although it was indeed small, it was large enough for the man to grow a variety of vegetables ample to consume and trade for more worthy items. It was extremely organised as opposed to the buoyant and flippant attitude displayed by the human male ninety-nine point nine percent of the time. Where there weren’t raised rows of dirt or crops, the grass grew evenly and neatly providing a fresh burst of inoculant colour. The river was shallow, only to the depth of Hakyeon’s knees, and flowed gently over the marbled rocky bed that lay beneath the pristine water. The two males took their time to admire the tranquil scenery and there was no doubt that there was magic involved, yet the source of it remained unknown. The previous month had been enough to ascertain the two dragonoids of the fact that Hakyeon truly possessed no magic. It wasn’t of any major concern to them however; the magic that lay its blessing over this place was pure. The two really had been silent because they gave Hakyeon quite a scare when he turned around and saw them just standing and staring at him. He fell over, catching himself on his hands and flinching. It made Wonshik feel bad since he knew he had caused the still unhealed injury. The guilt was what made Wonshik approach the other male first and Hakyeon could only stare up in disbelief. Wonshik held his hand out as an offer for reconciliation which Hakyeon accepts, using his healthy hand, without hesitation. Taekwoon had followed behind Wonshik and gathered the fallen produce continuing to hold onto the basket even after Hakyeon had stood up and was ready to carry it himself. Even though they hadn’t exchanged many words, Hakyeon knew that their relationship had improved and was on its way past mere acquaintances to friendship.

From then on Hakyeon’s trips to the garden were always accompanied by the two other males. They helped him in various ways – tending to the crops, washing up at the river and carrying the heavier items for him, in the least. Hakyeon had protested to this at first but Wonshik, speaking for both Taekwoon and himself, had argued that they had to do something if they were going to continue staying with him. Hakyeon gave no further protests after that. He did, however, throw a fit when they tried to insist going to the closest town with him. “You can’t! What if you get caught?!” Hakyeon had scolded them liberally, enough so that they had never brought it up again. It also might have worked because of his unshed tears and the heavy concern they had never faced before. In return for his kindness, not that the two were planning to leave any time soon (because where else would they go?), they decided to build another bed so that the generous human wouldn’t have to sleep on the floor by the fireplace anymore. Hakyeon had jumped on the both of them and smothered them in his hugs when they gave it to him.

Between the three of them, but more particularly Wonshik and Taekwoon, Wonshik was the one who spoke more to Hakyeon than Taekwoon did, not to say that Taekwoon didn’t talk to Hakyeon at all, but the elder of the pair preferred to communicate using subtle actions rather than words. Still, Hakyeon remained the most open about himself. They learned that he was an orphan, both his mother and father passing away and leaving this little cottage, the farm and the road to him. It really wasn’t much at all but Hakyeon was satisfied with it and even built his way of life around it. He admitted that now he had those two in his life things seemed to have taken a turn upwards. Even if he had no complaints about how he lived he couldn’t deny that he had been lonely.

Wonshik and Taekwoon hadn’t known how much they’d become attached to the human male until he had disappeared for two days and two nights, only returning the evening of the third day after. They’d been waiting anxiously in front of the cottage, looking down the side of the road that Hakyeon took to the town where he claimed to have been headed. The smaller male looked flustered as he came running through the forestry and into the line of sight of the two dragonoids. Although he was making a beeline straight towards them, both males still rushed forward. Though it was both of them that came to him, it was Taekwoon who pulled him into a warm embrace, holding Hakyeon’s body right up against his. That wasn’t all. To avoid having his face squished against Taekwoon’s shoulder, Hakyeon had tilted his head back slightly. It seemed like it only made Taekwoon’s intentions easier for him to follow through. Hakyeon felt a pair of burning lips against his own seconds later. The first emotion he felt was shock and surprise. He was still painfully aware of Wonshik’s presence even if he couldn’t see the other dragonoid. That issue was quickly solved when he felt another large frame press against his back. The warmth that surrounded him was enough to make Hakyeon completely surrender to the affections of the two creatures. Once Taekwoon had gotten his share of Hakyeon’s lips and left him breathless, Wonshik turned him around and had his turn. His lips were definitely different but Hakyeon could feel the abundant amount of love from Wonshik that Taekwoon had showed him. Completely enveloped by the affection, Hakyeon was barely able to comprehend being lifted and carried back inside. The two separate beds had been pushed together to make a larger one which all three of them could fit on. Though the touches were slow and gentle, the time passed quickly as they basked in the abundant adoration given to each other.

Hakyeon awoke with his body feeling heavy. It wasn’t the warmth of the two pairs of arms cradling him gently, but his body felt worn out from the night that had just passed. Wondrously, his wrist didn’t hurt at all anymore so he supposed that was a plus. Afraid of waking the two males on either side of him, Hakyeon could only lay still and watch the clouds stroll through the azure sky. It reminded him of Wonshik’s hair, the blue, that is. It hadn’t always been that colour but Hakyeon noted that it had become more prominent as of late; same with Taekwoon and his blonde hair. Hakyeon liked to think that it was a sign that they were recovering, both physically and mentally, over the unknown horrors they had experienced. What was definitely certain was that the two males had gotten their build back despite barely doing anything strenuous (last night aside). Hakyeon envied them slightly for that but it was all a part of his love. Admiration aside, the human had more pressing matters to inform his two new lovers about; which he would have done if they hadn’t gotten side tracked with their guilty pleasures.

As though he could sense his lover’s unsettled soul, Taekwoon awoke firsts, his gentle eyes blinking away the remnants of sleep as his arm tightened around his portion of Hakyeon’s torso. “Good morning,” Hakyeon greets first to which Taekwoon reciprocates with a tender kiss; Hakyeon is all too happy with that. He had turned around to drape his arm back over Taekwoon but the movement must have woken up Wonshik because he felt the said male tighten his hold and press a warm kiss to the back of his neck. For a moment Hakyeon was distracted by the warmth he was basked in but the urgent news suddenly burst into his mind again. Like always, Hakyeon’s body followed his mind almost literally – he had sat up so suddenly it had even startled to two still-sleepy males, causing them to immediately look around for the impeding danger that was logically associated with such alarming actions. When there was nothing they both looked at Hakyeon who still looked worried. They took their respective roles: Taekwoon’s hand running along Hakyeon’s thigh soothingly and Wonshik sitting up to mumble sweet words of comfort to the human. It worked but Hakyeon didn’t seem any better as his tense posture wilted into a slouched position oozing uneasiness.

“They’re after you,” Hakyeon whispers after taking a moment to gather himself but it’s loud enough for Taekwoon and Wonshik to pick up. It’s full of trepidation that wracks through his body, causing his hands to tremble in fear for the other two and of losing them. Taekwoon and Wonshik look equally as shocked at the news though they’re more worried for their human counterpart who’d paled considerably from the his natural sun kissed skin tone. “They won’t get us,” it’s Taekwoon who speaks in his angelic whispery tone which has an immediate calming effect on the human male. Hakyeon’s body falls back onto the beds and his torso deflates with a deep exhale. He takes one more deep breath then looks between both his lovers who seem enraptured by him rather than hung up on the looming threat like he is. It makes him relax and he nods at them to wordlessly communicate that he’s calmed down.

“Breakfast,” he murmurs and it has both dragonoids standing up and off the bed to comply with his request. It makes him laugh a bit as he fondly watches them try to do one of the simplest housework activities. It really isn’t a joke however when they realise that there isn’t much to eat. In the panic that Hakyeon had been thrown into he had forgotten to buy their staple and some spreads to match; he’d only been thinking about going home to make sure they were safe. Well they weren’t going to live any better hungry. Hakyeon’s plans were painfully obvious to the other two as he got up and began to dress more decently than he currently had been. The reaction was instantaneous: both dragonoids growled deep from their chest in warning, not maliciously, and made their ways in front of the smaller man. Hakyeon looked up at them before giving his infamous carefree smile before he stands up and gives them both a brief kiss on the lips. “’Don’t worry. I’ll be back soon,” he assured them, pushing between the two bigger bodies so he could keep to his word and hurry back to the overprotective males.

It turned out that they had every right to be overprotective. Hakyeon had been careless with his loose lips and actions. How could his wrist have healed so suddenly after causing him over a month of inconvenience? He’d only spoken to one person about it but his aloof attitude must have given the baker the impression that magic was very familiar with him. It didn’t help that his image within the village was elusive or that he lived isolated and at a distance from the majority. The majority wasn’t as big as it sounded so word got around fast. It didn’t make things any better that the military had left only not a day ago so it took them less time to return to the village than it did for them to come. It was the following mediocre day when Hakyeon saw them. To say he was startled would have been an understatement; he’d run back at a speed that left him breathless. He didn’t stop even when it felt like his lungs had collapsed on him. His flustered state was enough to draw his two lovers from the cottage, and though they had been running in the opposite direction to him, Hakyeon was quick to change it so that they were all headed the same way – to his little farm. “Hurry,” Hakyeon urged the disparity in his voice much too dense for the other two to even think about questioning him.

It wasn’t fast enough, Hakyeon regrets, because the guards are on their tails the minute they set foot on the quaint farm. Hakyeon pushes the two bigger creatures into the thick foliage that fences the perimeter of where the crops grow. Hakyeon’s shambolic state was a clear indication they had been running and that itself was enough ‘proof’ for the guards to believe that he had been running from the pursuit. However, he wasn’t what they were after; the villagers’ target but not theirs. So, as they handed him over to be dealt with they took it upon themselves to wreak havoc on the gift that Hakyeon’s parents’ had left behind for him. That was the least of the said human’s concerns though, and as he was dragged away he could only pray to whatever greater force there was to keep his two lovers safe.

Both Wonshik and Taekwoon could only watch as their human partner was taken away. Though Wonshik had made a move to lunge out and protect him, Taekwoon held him back. It was the look on the older dragonoid’s face – raw pain and heartbreak – that stopped Wonshik from acting irrationally. The two waited in endless time for the sun to set and rise again before revealing themselves to the waiting nonentity. Miraculously the farm lay untouched, confirming both their notion of a magic that protected this place. If only that magic had protected Hakyeon too.  With mourning burdening their hearts the two dragonoids made their way back to the cottage and dressed themselves in heavy robes to keep their identity hidden. Both knew what happened when a person was accused of pursuing ‘dark deeds’, yet if this was the last time they could see their lover then so be it. The trifling population had gathered in the centre of the village where they could watch the accused repent for his sins. Taekwoon’s and Wonshik’s presence were the least of their concerns; for all they knew, the two males could have been watching the burning too, just as they were. As though Hakyeon knew they’d be there, his eyes searched until they focused on the two statue-like figures at the back. A gentle smile graced his lips, one that went unnoticed by the blood-thirsty cloud. As the flames at his blessed skin, Wonshik and Taekwoon walked on. It had been a silent farewell but to know that Hakyeon’s love stayed strong to his death was enough for them to, with souls weighed by anguish, walk on.