oh (2/2)

All I Want For Christmas Is (To Kill) You

(a/n: people that you should thank for this:
 dxniean + cupcakemini5 they asked explicitly...also i am a pushover.)
 

 

Hansol whines as he holds a sweater against his chest.  There’s something off about a blue pastel sweater matched with ripped jeans.  No one ever mentioned that picking out an outfit for a date was so stressful.

The peanut gallery is of no help whatsoever.  He doesn’t know why his so-called friends came over to help him out with getting dressed if they were just going to ignore him and talk amongst themselves.  At this point, Soonyoung is the only one with an actual reason to be in the room.

“You guys are useless,” Hansol mutters under his breath, tossing the sweater aside.  He assesses himself in the mirror once more before rummaging through his closet to find something, anything that might give off the appearance that Hansol is 100% in control of his life and has it together.

Mingyu pushes himself off of the loveseat nestled between Hansol’s desk and bed, making a beeline for Hansol and his closet.  Hansol can see him in the reflection of the mirror on the inside of the closet door.  Mingyu reaches over his shoulder and pulls out Hansol’s yellow hoodie with pink and blue doughnuts, pressing it against Hansol’s chest.

Mingyu nods satisfactorily to himself before meeting Hansol’s eyes in through the mirror. “Let me get this straight. You threatened to beat this person within an inch of his life, and he asked you out.”

Hansol nods.  Mingyu puckers his lips and turns his face, “Wonwoo, I’m going to kill you.”

Wonwoo looks up from his phone from where he sits on Hansol’s bed, “What did I do this time?”  It’s so painfully obvious that Wonwoo has zero clue as to what is going on, both in the moment and with Mingyu’s feelings.

Mingyu clicks his tongue, “I don’t get it.”

Hansol frowns.  Perhaps the way the he and Seungkwan came together is a bit unorthodox.  Hansol takes the hoodie off of the hanger and tugs it onto his torso, forcing his head through the neck-hole as he begins to defend his date for the evening, “It’s not like I threatened to kill him, and then he immediately turned around and asked me out on a date.”  Hansol gets the hoodie on fully, smoothing out the wrinkles before getting a good look at his reflection.  “I apologized for being rude, and then he asked me out on a date.”

“Wonwoo, I’m sorry.” Mingyu turns back to his oblivious senior.  “For threatening to kill you.”

“It’s all good.” Wonwoo says and mindlessly waves his hand to brush away the bad feelings, continuing to look at his phone and not at Mingyu.

Hansol frowns at his ensemble.  He looks like he’s still in high school and mildly irresponsible.  Childish is not the vibe he wants to be giving off.  Hansol yanks the hoodie off, letting it fall to the ground by his feet.  Mingyu shrugs with a frown on his lips, “I could tattoo ‘I’m in love with Jeon Wonwoo’ on my forehead, and he would ask when I met another Wonwoo with the same surname.”  Mingyu sighs as he pulls out a black and red plaid shirt and hands it Hansol.

Hansol shrugs the plaid button up on over his white tee and examines himself in the mirror.  Hansol has to hold back a smile.  He really should have thought about plaid before; that pattern has always suited him very well.  Mingyu offers a smile of his own, “Now all that you have to worry about is your hair.”

Mingyu's once kind smile morphs into a smirk before he leaves Hansol alone with his reflection.

Hansol wants to scoff, but the longer he stares as his head the worse it seems.  Has his hair always had this much volume?  Had it always been so uncooperative, unruly?  He snatches his hairbrush off of his dresser and runs it through the tangles of his hair.

Hansol panics briefly.  He doesn’t have time to take a shower and clean his hair to make it more manageable, and his hair product situation has been iffy ever since he began living at the dorm because prices in the area are extortionately high.

First, he tries to part his hair down the middle.  He turns to face his friends, and Soonyoung almost turns purple from laughing so hard.  Mingyu’s cackling catches Wonwoo’s attention enough for him to see what everyone is laughing about.  He looks at Hansol’s hair and slaps a hand over his mouth as his eyes bulge.  Hansol is so embarrassed that his face turns ten shades of red before he musses hair.

Second, he tries to forget about parting his hair and lets his bangs cover his forehead.  He looks like he’s seven and immature and roughly two beats behind the whole “Justin Bieber hair” trend.  He hates it.

Hansol settles on a side part that makes his cheekbones seem well defined.  (He does have to work in some mousse to make sure that his hair stays put, but the results are very satisfying.) In his opinion, he looks intimidating but approachable.  He has to do as much as humanly possible to erase his first impression on Seungkwan.  Hansol looks himself over in the mirror once more.  Ripped jeans and white tee under an open plaid button up, it’ll have do.

Hansol spends the next three minutes vigorously brushing his teeth.  If Seungkwan gets anywhere near his face, it will smell nice.  Hansol really wishes that he had thought it through when he barged into Seungkwan’s room.  Now he has to meticulously redefine his image.

He returns to his room and picks up his phone.  His eyes bulge when he sees time. He’s supposed to get Seungkwan for their date in five minutes.  “Oh my goodness.  I need to—I need to go!  I only have five minutes.”

Hansol begins jamming his feet into his shoes, hastily lacing them up.

“He literally lives right next door.”  Soonyoung deadpans. “You could leave 30 seconds before your date and still be on time.”

“HUSH!” Hansol whisper-shouts as he finishes tying his shoes.  He snatches up phone and tears his winter coat off of its peg.  “Wish me luck.”  He requests as he pockets his keys before opening the door.

“Good—“ Wonwoo and Soonyoung start, but Hansol has shut the door on his room before they can finish.

Hansol drapes his coat over his forearm as he stops in front of Seungkwan’s door.  Granted, it’s a single step away, so it’s not like it’s all that much of a trek.  He has a single step to let go of the nerves that have been knotting his stomach for the majority of the week.

Hansol takes a deep breath, blowing the air out through his mouth.  Confidence Hansol, confidence, he thinks to himself before rapping his fist against the door three times.

His eyes widen as he realizes that he is not at all confident.  He has made a mistake because once Seungkwan has a meal with Hansol that’ll be it.  He’s not smooth, and half of the time he loses his train of thought mid-sentence.  He needs to run.  He should run right now, and—

The door opens, and Hansol’s thoughts cut out right there.  Seungkwan stands in front of him with a soft smile on his face.  He wears a pink sweater, and Hansol is pretty sure that this is what love feels like.

“Hi.” Hansol breathes, unable to articulate anything else.  All of the nerves may have disappeared, but they took most of his vocabulary with them.

“Your timing is perfect,” Seungkwan starts.  “Let me just get my jacket.”

Seungkwan disappears for a split second and reemerges with a disproportionately large jacket in his arms.  Hansol clears his throat, trying to focus on getting back on his game, game that Seungkwan dismantled with a sentence.  “Shall we go?” Hansol asks.

Seungkwan nods as he begins to put on his jacket, “So where are we going?”

Hansol stops in his tracks.  Oh no.  He hadn’t planned anything; he was probably supposed to plan something.  Hansol turns to Seungkwan with dread rushing through his veins.  How could he have ruined a date before it even started?

He almost launches into an apology while still trying to piece together an explanation as to why he was under the impression that Seungkwan would do the planning.  However, his words get caught in his throat when he sees Seungkwan smiling widely.  Seungkwan lets out a chuckle, “That was joke.”

Hansol relaxes visibly, and Seungkwan pulls on his arm to encourage him to keep walking.  Seungkwan laughs again when Hansol finally catches up.   He bumps against Hansol’s shoulder, “You didn’t really think that I would make you plan it, did you?  What kind of person would that make me?  I asked you, so it’s obvious that I should do the planning.”

Hansol barks out a nervous laugh.  He could die.  He’s so embarrassed.  Hansol’s cheeks burn intensely while he puts on his own jacket.  They exit the building, and the night air rather chilly.  Hansol is so thankful for the cold air, so he has an excuse for the redness in his cheeks.  Seungkwan leads the way, and it takes Hansol a few minutes to pluck up the courage to speak again.  “So where are we going?”

“To eat.” Seungkwan states cheekily.  Seungkwan is going to be the death of him.

Hansol exhales, creating his own little cloud of used breath.  He looks at Seungkwan from the corner of his eye.  He’s really cute from every angle that Hansol can think of.  Hansol quietly follows Seungkwan while simultaneously ogling at him.  The butterflies in his stomach keep fluttering, and his heart is pounding so hard that he can hear it forcing blood through his veins.

“Do you like burgers?”  Seungkwan asks out of the blue, interrupting Hansol's falling in love with him.

Hansol’s brow furrows, “Have you been talking to my friends?”  His question stems from the fact that burgers are in his top five favorite foods.

Seungkwan snorts, “You’ll like where we’re going then.”  Seungkwan doesn’t answer the question, but Hansol can’t find it in himself to care.

They arrive at their date destination, and Hansol is most definitely in love.  It’s a hole in the wall “gourmet” burger shop that Hansol has been to too many times to count.  It’s basically his happy place.  There are affordable burgers and an atmosphere that reminds him of home.  Hansol hides his smile, and Seungkwan opens the door for him.  (What a gentleman.)

They take a seat right next to the storefront window.  The darkness of the night turns the glass into a blurry mirror, creating duplicates of Seungkwan and Hansol.  Hansol shrugs his jacket off as a waiter comes up to the table with a pen and pad.  Seungkwan asks for water, and Hansol requests a root beer from the man.  He would’ve asked for a root beer float, but he’s on a date and trying to seem mature, at least a little bit.

Hansol opens the plastic covered menu, scanning through the familiar option available. 

“Have you been here before?” Seungkwan asks, peeking up from his own menu.  Hansol misses the fact that Seungkwan is biting his lower lip.

Hansol nods, “Plenty of times.”

“I haven’t.” Seungkwan murmurs quietly.

“Would you like a recommendation?  I’m partial to the classic.  You know sesame seed bun, pickles, onion, lettuce, ketchup, mustard, mayo, and, of course, a beef patty with cheddar cheese.”  Hansol smiles at the thought of biting into his perfect burger.

Seungkwan closes his menu, resting his elbows on the table; “I’ll put my trust in your tastes then.”

Hansol’s heart pounds again.  He doesn’t know what he’s done to earn Seungkwan’s trust at all.  He’s glad that he has it though.  He thinks that it’s something that he’ll end up cherishing forever.  Seungkwan is really the one who took the chance and stuck out his neck.  Hansol offers a crooked smile, “I’ll make sure that I deserve it then.”

Seungkwan looks down, rubbing his neck with his hand as he blushes at the table.  Hansol finds himself staring; he doesn’t really know whether or not it looks creepy because his face has never been cooperative, but the warmth in his chest is spilling all over his internal organs.

The waiter comes to give them their drinks and take their order; it briefly breaks the ambiance, but Hansol orders for the both of them quickly.  It’s roughly thirty seconds, but Hansol wishes it hadn’t taken that long.  He and Seungkwan haven’t had a proper chance to converse.

After Hansol sticks his unwrapped straw into his root beer, he begins what he Hopes to be a fruitful conversation, “So what are you majoring in?”

Seungkwan peels at the white paper off of his straw and smiles, “Tourism and Hospitality.  I’m from Jeju, so I have plenty of experience with getting tourists where they need to go.  It became my accidental passion.”  Seungkwan sighs softly, smiling into his water.

He seems to realize something and looks back up at Hansol, “What about you?”

“Well,” Hansol begins, clearing his throat and straightening up his posture, “I’m actually double majoring in Global Affairs and Conflict Resolution.  I mean, who knows if it will stick, but I think being a mediator would be cool…” Hansol trails off, unsure of how to explain why he’s so drawn to conflict resolution and global affairs.  He has dual citizenship in both the US and South Korea, so he considers himself a citizen of the world.

He focuses on Seungkwan, who is seemingly engrossed in everything that Hansol is saying.  His hand is pressed against his cheek, and he’s just listening to Hansol talk about his major.  Seungkwan notices that Hansol has stopped talking and finds it appropriate to stop staring at him dreamily.  “Do you want to mediate peace talks or something like that?”

Hansol melts as he nods.  Seungkwan understands him.  Seungkwan smiles widely, “That suits you.”

“I threatened to punch you.” Hansol blurts out.  It’s something that has been in the back of his mind since Mingyu mentioned it.  Peacekeeping somehow suits Hansol in Seungkwan’s mind even though Hansol threatened to use violence against him the very first moment that they met.

Seungkwan seems surprised that Hansol mentioned it, abruptly at that.  “That you did.”

Seungkwan looks at the incomprehension marring Hansol’s face. Seungkwan reaches across the table to touch Hansol’s forearm.  “You also apologized.”

“Jeonghan made me.”  Hansol frowns.  What if Seungkwan is under the impression that he apologized without external influence?   Hansol doubts that he ever would have plucked up the nerve to even look at Seungkwan’s door if Jeonghan hadn’t taken him by the ear and forced him to apologize.

Seungkwan smiles again, “But you meant it.  You were genuinely apologetic, and I wasn’t an entirely innocent party.  I know that I’m obnoxious sometimes; it’s part of my charm.  I did deserve to be yelled at a little bit.  Plus, I think that you would’ve apologized on your own eventually.”

“Wow.” Hansol murmurs, looking into Seungkwan’s eyes.  Seungkwan is confident in his words, believing in Hansol when even he had no faith in himself.

Before Hansol can think up a proper response, the waiter sets their food down on the table along with a bottle of ketchup.

They eat without really talking, enjoying the food as well as each other’s company.  It’s probably the best burger that he has ever had, but that’s probably because Seungkwan is sitting across from him.  Hansol didn’t know that it was possible to fall in love so quickly, but from where he sits, on a semi-cheap metal chair at a sticky table, he might be ready to declare that he’s in love with Seungkwan.  He doesn’t even know Seungkwan’s last name, but it must be one of those “when-you-know-you-know” things.

“What’s your last name?” Hansol asks through a mouth full of cheeseburger.

Seungkwan swallows roughly, “Boo.  And yours?”

Hansol finishes chewing, “Chwe.”

“Cool.” Seungkwan says, rolling his eyes playfully.

They finish their meals without saying much else.  The waiter comes around with the check, and Hansol and Seungkwan almost break out into a fight.  At first, Hansol tries to hand off his credit card slyly, but Seungkwan catches him.  They do the entire check dance.  (“I’ll pay.” “You’ll pay my , I’m paying.” “I am paying.” “I asked you out, so I am paying.”)  Seungkwan ends up paying because Hansol is afraid of the consequences of not letting him pay.  Hansol finds himself a little too much in love with Seungkwan to risk offending him.

As they leave the burger place, Hansol finds himself asking, “Is there anything else on the agenda?”

“No, but you can walk me home.” Seungkwan says with a coy smile.

Hansol snorts, “How fortuitous, I was going to ask if I could.”

Seungkwan giggles, turning to go back toward the dorms.  Hansol stays put for a moment, mulling over whether he should do what he is thinking about.  He might as well; he has nothing to lose by doing it.

Hansol takes two long strides to catch up with Seungkwan and takes hold of his hand without saying anything.  He looks straight forward, but Seungkwan is still in the corner of his eye. He can tell Seungkwan is a little surprised, but the moment that Seungkwan tucks his chin against his chest, he knows that it makes Seungkwan happy that they’re holding hands.

Seungkwan moves closer to Hansol and arranges their hands so that their fingers are intertwined.  Hansol can’t even try to hold back his smile.  Although it feels childish to get this excited about holding hands, it makes his heart run a thousand miles per hour.

They’re right in front of the dorm when Seungkwan takes a sudden breath, “Oh!” He exclaims. “So what is it?”

“What?”

“The song that I should sing?  The one that you like?” Seungkwan elaborates with a teasing smile.  Hansol had completely forgotten that that was the objective of the date.  (He’s allowed to call it a date right?  They are holding hands after all.)

Hansol thinks on it for a moment, what song would he like for Seungkwan to sing for hours on end?  He answers, “I’ve always liked Day One by K. Will.”

Seungkwan squeezes Hansol’s hand, “That’ll be our song then.”

There he goes again, stealing the breath right out of Hansol’s lungs.

They stop in front of Seungkwan’s door, and Hansol turns to face Seungkwan.  Seungkwan scratches his neck, “I had a really great time.”

“Me too.” Hansol mumbles.  He doesn’t know how to end their date so that Seungkwan doesn’t think he’s awkward.  “Well, goodnight.”  (Hansol has failed. Miserably.)

“Sleep well.” Seungkwan says letting go of Hansol's hand.  He turns and unlocks his door.  He waves one last time before disappearing into his room.

Hansol lets out the breath that he didn’t know he was holding.  His knees are kind of weak, so he has to wait for a moment before moving.  He presses the tips of his fingers against his lips and blows a tiny kiss at Seungkwan’s door and takes a half step toward his room.

“Hansol?” Seungkwan says, sticking his head into the hallway.

Hansol jumps in surprise before he turns back to Seungkwan; amazed that he failed to hear Seungkwan opening his door.  His heart flutters looking back at Seungkwan.

Seungkwan smiles again, “Dream of me.”  Seungkwan closes his door again.

Hansol blinks and quietly unlocks the door to his room.  Soonyoung, Mingyu, and Wonwoo are still there, watching a movie.  Hansol makes a beeline for his bed so that he can collapse onto it.

He screams into a pillow.

Dream of Seungkwan?  As if he wasn’t already going to. 

 

a/n: whaaaaat?
it just kind of wrote itself.  stop asking me to do things, i am so easily influenced.
is it good?
comment? subscribe? upvote?

I just.... i don't know.
#verkwan4lyfe