Family issues.

Behind That Door
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jackson met his friends sitting in the front row, they had gone there to save place after a few minutes walking through the festival, which made the Chinese thank them immensely since he'd be able to see Mark closely.

"How was there?" who asked was Bambam, whispering to the elder.

"Uh... I think his family hates me" he whispered back, earning a surprised look from the other. "Yeah"

"Tell me about it later"

Jackson just nodded in response, then the principal appeared on stage with the arts club leader and the teacher of physical education. The three presented themselves, spoke about the presentations and started the competition everyone's been waiting for.

At that moment, the Chinese wondered why he didn't sign up for dance or something, considering that the competition englobed singing, dancing and musical instruments. Geez, he could be so slow sometimes! This way he could follow Mark up behind the stage.

The group of friends waited and waited, impressed with some presentations, hated others, yawned to another and so it was throughout the tournament, each student taking six minutes to perform something — if the person would last the whole six minutes on stage or not, depended on the jury.

Luckily for them, few have lasted six minutes, but on the other hand, Mark was the last one to appear, then they had to wait more than imagined.

When the latter appeared on the stage, Jackson almost fell off the chair directly to the ground, so impressed he was with the boy's appearance. His clothes were all white from the toptank he was wearing underneath the sweater of the same color, from pants to shoes. It was a simple outfit, but that made him look like an angel. To complete, a golden crown was securely fastened in his slightly messy hair.

"Jackson, you'll drool" Bambam warned with a smirk.

"Oh, shut up" he snapped back in a playful tone, not taking his eyes off the boy on stage.

Mark grinned, bowing as if he was indeed a prince, rising then with the same elegance.

"I'm Mark Tuan, vice-leader of the Arts Club" he introduced himself, holding the position. "I will perform using piano, a medley done by me"

The blonde's gaze settled on Jackson for a few seconds, making him smile. The Chinese had seen a sign in that gesture, what was Mark up to now?

The boy bowed again before walking over to the piano, settling himself on the small bench. Then opened the instrument, he didn't bring any music sheet — he would play by memory. His hands rested on the piano keys with all delicacy possible, taking a deep breath before he started playing with eyes closed, a simple smile on his lips.

Jackson didn't need much to recognize the songs that Mark joined into one, his eyes threatening to tear because he knew that it was for him, all the dedication and effort of the other made him so happy, and so emotional.

All melodies that were present have been played for Jackson previously. Each of them, he remembered perfectly the occasion of the day, the papers that were exchanged and the meaning that Mark had taught him about them.

He pressed his lips against each other, trying to keep from exploding in different emotions, holding both the wide smile as the tears.

Why Mark had to be so damn perfect?

When it seemed that the music would end, he resumed in a different tone, without cutting all of sudden. The music was lively, but then returned to its originally melancholy.

The presentation lasted enough, but seemed to pass in seconds. So much that when it finally came to an end, Jackson blinked several times. He was so lost in the beauty — both the melody as the boy who played it — he didn't want this to end.

"Mark hyung is amazing" Youngjae said aloud, the other friends agreeing immediately.

Mark withdrew from the piano, walked onto the stage, smiled and bowed again. Before retiring completely, he took one last look at Jackson, opening that smile that he loved so much.

The Chinese sighed, getting looks from his friends, these who also smiled.

"You're definitely with the right person, hyung" Bambam gave him two taps on the shoulder. "He looks at you like no other one would"

Jackson had only time to nod, as, soon after, the three presenters returned to the stage. All competitors entered again, getting in a row — the white prince not taking his eyes off his beloved's, and vice-versa.

"We had several presentations today, all made with love and excitement" Alec began looking for the director then.

"Unfortunately, there are only three places to the award" he continued for the student, speaking in that tone typical of his profession. "Deep down, we are all talented and winners, never forget it!"

The speech lasted for a few minutes until finally announce the winners. In the third place, a young man who played violin while elegantly danced. Second, there was a girl who applied dance, also using her flexibility to impress the judges. In first...

"Making everyone emotional with his performance on piano, Mark Tuan takes the first place!"

The boy didn't seem impressed, continuing to act like it was all natural. Jackson thought he was taught to be a winner, no longer having any doubts about why he had been so ill from stress. A performance with six minutes to make sure of winning, he got sick just thinking about it.

Watching him as he did, the Chinese soon noticed that his hands were shaking slightly in a way that, if you didn't put all of your attention to him, you wouldn't see. While gratefully took the prize, he seemed embarrassed, though he dealt with the situation well and go unnoticed.

Mark definitely was nervous and extremely happy to have won with the songs he played for the person who he loves, but the fact that his parents were watching him made him tense, acting almost on autopilot as he spoke a little speech of thanks to jurors after hearing the reasons on which he was chosen.

Without further ado, the competition ended, students leaving the stage slowly to disperse with their friends. Jackson didn't take his eyes off Mark's until the end, and then he got up from where he was.

"I'll see you later" he commented aloud, getting some confirmations in response to finally retire.

Jinyoung looked at Bambam, twining one hand with the one of the younger.

"Do you think it'll be all right this time?"

The Thai smiled and nodded, pulling Junior hand to deposit a brief peck there.

"Jackson finally found someone who truly loves him as I love you, everything's gonna be okay!" he giggled, seeing his boyfriend crack a smile.

"Yeah... We're all lucky" he commented, leaning to deposit a peck on the other's lips. "We're not gonna let anyone ruin it, right?"

Bambam chuckled, nodding then. He wasn't sure if Jinyoung was talking about their friends or them both, but whatever was the answer, he'd do everything he can to nobody ruin it.

Jaebum, on the other hand, saw the two boys being cheesy and was slightly embarrassed. He sprawled in the chair where he was and quietly left one arm on Youngjae shoulders. The action made the latter laugh.

"Jaebum hyung, if you want to call me out, you don't need to be so slow" he commented without ado, looking at the elder who was shocked.

"Well, I... I was just stretching! You're too convinced" he crossed his arms in front of his chest, sulking.

"You're really like an old man"

Youngjae laughed loudly, twining one arm with JaeBum's, pulling him to get up. Noting the confused face of the other and, still laughing, he began to walk to the food stands, leaving the other couple also alone.

"Come on, to date me you have to win my stomach!"

 

xxx

 

"Mark?"

Jackson called hesitantly, looking for the boy where he was supposed to leave the stage. He worried for a few minutes until he appeared in his white clothes, but without the crown.

"Jackson!" he smiled widely, walking at a rapid pace to the boy.

It didn't take much to Mark jump in Jackson, the latter holding him firmly by the waist, then spinning him in the air a few times as they laughed loud like children. He put the other on the floor, smiling foolishly as he watched him.

"You were wonderful... I almost cried listening to all these melodies"

"I'm glad you liked it... The songs I played for you, I always knew by heart, and I wanted to play them as a way to confess for you in the festival... If you hadn't discovered me before" he laughed softly.

"Really?"

Jackson's smile widened when he heard it, bringing his hands to the boy's face, holding him to start a shower of kisses and caresses.

"You're so cute! How could you hide all this time?"

"Well, I-"

"Yien"

Damn it. It was the first thing that passed by Mark's mind when he heard his father's voice, a mixture of feelings in the way he said his name —  anger, surprise, irritation.

But the Tuan's son wasn't a child who ran away from his problems, much less a teenager who needed to receive orders. Facing the fury of his family, he moved away from Jackson just to interweave hands with the boy, watching his father seriously.

"Yes?"

"What are you doing with this kid?"

He didn't seem too happy with the information he saw with his own eyes. But how Mark replied startled even Jackson, who wasn't used to the suddenly serious and dangerous voice on the other.

"The obvious" he answered immediately. "He's my boyfriend as you could see on your own"

The word "boyfriend" made the Chinese go to heaven, his soul leaving his body as he wasn't expecting to be declared in a relationship out of nowhere. Not that he cared to be dating Mark, — For God's sake, who would care about it? — he just didn't imagine that the shy and reserved boy could speak so firmly something that probably wouldn't admit to close friends without stuttering.

"Yien, don't mess with me" he threatened in Mandarin, Jackson acknowledging that it had Taiwan accent.

"I'm not kidding" he answered the same way. "You're not going to stop me from being happy again"

Jackson looked from Mark to his suppose father, seeing that the two were locked in an intense staring battle. As much as he wanted to, this time he couldn't help since he didn't see it coming. The oldman hitting his beloved's face with the back of his hand.

"Mark!" he stared startled before he turned his attention to the elder, seeing his cheek turn red immediately.

"You're a disappointment to our family! I hoped you could do something useful, but I think only Joey can be our heir. Be aware that we'll not accept one... Gay son!"

The Chinese expected any reaction

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter