Chapter Seven

Drenched

“I can’t believe we are finally doing this!!” Chorong’s dolphin squeak of enthusiasm made Bomi burst in laughter.

They were carrying their suitcases down the stairs, followed by the other members.

“Hey unnie,” Hayoung tried to help the leader. “You want me to carry it for you?”

Chorong thought about it, but her tired breathing gave her away.

“Oh my, how old have I become...” She complained out loud. “I can’t even carry my suitcase and I need the kids to help me...”

Naeun and Namjoo laughed at that, and Eunji gave an encouraging pat on Chorong’s shoulder, smiling.

“You are not old, unnie.”

“Oh, yeah,” Bomi replied. “You are old, unnie.”

“Bomi-ah!” Chorong laughed and slapped her girlfriend’s arm playfully.

They had fully recovered from last night’s outcome, and after apologizing to the members, everything focused on the excitement of Jeju and their trip. To Bomi, last night was just a blur containing drunkenness and… a kiss? …and maybe more? She still had to ask her girlfriend about it, but she felt guilty for not remembering.

“Our manager-oppa said to meet him down here,” Chorong said. “He’s taking us to the airport.”

“Can we go?” Namjoo asked. “Say goodbye and stuff.”

Chorong looked happy when she nodded. They were only going to be apart for 24 hours, but the maknaes looked like they were going to miss their unnies. They hadn’t spent time apart since... forever.

The trip to the airport was somehow quiet. Chorong sat in the front, her usual place, laying her head against the cold window, thinking. Eunji and the maknae line were playing in the back, but Bomi was oddly quiet, looking out the window.

When they arrived at the airport, Chorong and Bomi grabbed their suitcases and followed their manager, who was going to give her instructions for their flight. It wasn’t difficult, and they had been to Jeju Island before, but still...

The other members had to say goodbye before the control point, and Eunji moved close to hug Bomi.

“Eunji-ah!” Bomi was surprised, Eunji did not usually hug.

“Get some rest, Bomi-ah. You make me worry too much,” she mumbled in the older girl’s ear. “And take care of Chorong-unnie!”

“I will, don’t worry.” Bomi laughed. She had lots of things planned.

“You should leave,” the manager told them. “The plane won’t wait.”

“Don’t be too wild,” Namjoo joked.

“But have lots of fun!” Hayoung added with a wink. “Because you know we’ll be there tomorrow already.”

“Just let them be, Hayoung-ah,” Eunji laughed.

“Oh my, it’s just one day! Can’t we just leave already?” Bomi sounded exasperated.

Chorong just laughed it off and waved at the members, following Bomi through the gate and handing her passport to the woman at the control point.

“Can’t believe we’re finally doing this, unnie!” Bomi’s childish excitement made her look even younger.

“I am glad too.” Chorong lowered her head and pecked her girlfriend on the lips.

“Have you packed yet?” Hayoung asked Naeun, who was writing something on her diary while lying comfortably on her bed.

“Sort of...” The older girl shrugged. Her suitcase was open next to the bed, full of shorts and sundresses. “I’m almost done.”

“I still have lots to pack...” The maknae yawned. “But I really don’t feel like doing that now.”

“Who does?” Naeun corroborated with a smile. “By the way, I think I’m going out tonight. Can you cover for me?”

“That’s what best friends are for,” Hayoung replied. She wanted to go clubbing too, but she wasn’t old enough yet; barely, but not enough. So she was the one who covered for Naeun every time she went out, and until then they had managed not to get noticed. If the responsible unnies knew, who knows what would happen.

“Do you think we need anything special?” Hayoung asked her friend. “Or just beach clothes will do?”

“Just take everything you could possibly need, just in case,” Naeun answered. “Comfortable stuff. And remember you promised to go running with me in the morning.”

Hayoung groaned in complaint. But still, she remembered. She started putting more and more clothes inside her suitcase, getting almost all the summer clothes she had. Seeing the maknae was almost done packing, Naeun decided to finish her suitcase too, so the two girls finished while listening to Hayoung’s music on the maknae’s phone.

The flight wasn’t too long, but Chorong felt asleep anyways when they had just taken off. It wasn’t too late in the evening, but most people were tired and the plane was quite silent. Bomi looked around, curious, and her gaze ended up on Chorong, of course. The older girl looked pale under the cabin’s light, but that only made her resting eyelashes to stand out more. Bomi knew exactly what hid behind those abundant eyelashes; eyes as dark as ebony but warm and intense.

You must take care of yourself. You must start chemotherapy as soon as possible, Bomi-ssi, she could still hear the doctor’s advice in her head. Even if she had tried not to think about it, now that she was on her own she could let herself think clearly. It’s late, but there’s still a big chance for you to overcome it if you listen to me. You need to tell your family and closest friends so they can be there for you whenever you need them. You must ask for help if you need them. You have to be strong, not reckless.

Bomi caressed Chorong’s cheek, causing the girl to blink swiftly in her sleep but without gaining consciousness yet. Chorong was smiling; something good was going on in her dream, and Bomi couldn’t help but kissing her on the corner of . They all deserve to know if you’re suffering, the doctor’s voice was still in her head. If they love you, they’d want to help you make it through it. Because I know you can, if you let me help you. Please, Bomi-ssi, think about your answer again. It’s not only you who will suffer if you don’t start chemotherapy soon.

When Bomi moved back, a tear was glistening down her cheek. Bomi, who almost never cried; Bomi, who was always the one to remain strong until the very end; Bomi, who would never break down if she could avoid it. She was the one crying silently while caressing Chorong’s silken hair.

“I’m dying, unnie,” she whispered. “I’m suffering, but you’ve done nothing to deserve suffering too. You don’t need to know how much pain I feel because it would break me completely to see you suffer, unnie.”

Bomi kissed Chorong on the lips, staying still for a while until one of her tears fell onto the older girl’s lips, making the kiss painfully salty.

“I’m dying,” Bomi repeated. “And there’s no way I can stop it.”