Cinnamon Buns Pt. 2

Eunhae Tales | Winter Edition

“These aren’t really cinnamon buns.” Hyukjae peered into the oven, his mouth already watering from the delicious warm cinnamon scent. The only thing separating him from the buns he wanted so much was the transparent oven door, and Donghae.

 

“Move, I need to check on them.” Donghae playfully hit Hyukjae’s behind with a festive red oven mitt that was supposed to resemble a Christmas stocking. Yes, Hyukjae has gone overboard as usual like how he did at this time of the year, every year, by revamping the entire apartment to look like a mini Winter Wonderland, including the wardrobes of the inhabitants. The Christmas tree had not been set up in the living room yet, but it would be soon.

 

“But what is ‘them’?” Hyukjae scooted away as Donghae pulled out the tray of whatever was baking in the tray, because they smelt like cinnamon buns, but looked like an entirely different sort of buns. Hyukjae inhaled the heavenly scent of warm cinnamon that was blasted his face, and felt his eyes roll a little back into his head.

 

“It’s a new recipe,” Donghae muttered. He furrowed his brows as he inspected the dark red dough.

 

“Which is?”

 

“Red velvet cinnamon rolls with chocolate custard.”

 

“That’s a pretty long name, but it already sounds like a winner to me.” Hyukjae grinned, leaning against the black marble kitchen counter in awe.

 

Donghae placed the oven tray carefully back in and set an alarm on the oven. “It needs five more minutes.”

 

Donghae looked up when Hyukjae didn’t reply, and found Hyukjae gazing at him with a dreamy expression on his face. His eyes had gone all sparkly and his gummy smile seemed slightly wider than usual. But really, Hyukjae resembled an adorable fan boy that received a present not from Santa but from his favourite idol on Christmas.

 

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

 

Hyukjae broke out from his reverie, but the sparkly expression in his eyes remained.  “What, I can’t inspect my handsome boyfriend like that?” He quipped playfully.

 

Donghae felt the corners of his mouth turn upwards as he closed the gap between the two of them, lifting Hyukjae onto the kitchen counter as he stood between his boyfriend’s parted thighs.

 

“Hae, what are you–”

 

“Did you enjoy watching me slaving over the stove?” Donghae whispered huskily into Donghae’s ear.

 

“Hmm?” Donghae nibbled at Hyukjae’s earlobe, eliciting tiny purrs from his boyfriend.

 

“Yes, I think it’s hot watching my boyfriend sweat while making the perfect cinnamon buns for me.” Hyukjae said breathily as he pressed his palms along the curvature of Donghae’s clothed buns.

 

Donghae smirked as he nipped along Hyukjae’s defined jawline, all the way until he reached the corner of his plump, inviting lips.

 

“You little ert.” Donghae whispered, swiping his tongue casually across his boyfriend’s now slightly parted lips.

 

Just then, the alarm for the oven beeped. Hyukjae had forced Donghae to set pick a tone that matched the current Christmas concept, so a tune of jingly bells was played. Hyukjae couldn’t express how much he disliked the sound jingly bells in that moment. Donghae automatically pushed himself from Hyukjae’s embrace and headed straight for the oven, his hands slipped dexterously into the red oven mitts.

 

“Hae! You…” Hyukjae huffed, folding his arms. His cheeks were already painted with a deep red flush that matched the colour of the red velvet cinnamon buns and his lips were a little darker than that.

 

Donghae smirked as he looked up from his tray of warm red velvet cinnamon buns with little bits of chocolate custard oozing out of the top of each bun.

 

“I thought you wanted buns,” Donghae said innocently.

 

Hyukjae glared at Donghae like a petulant child. Yes, he did want buns, but he changed his mind about the type of buns he wanted right now.