Chapter 1

See You In Your Dreams

 

Sehun kicked a lone pebble on the street as he followed his best friend to the party. Only two blocks away and he could already hear the loud bass of the electronic dance music through the speakers. Was it really necessary to blast music this loud, Sehun thought. He hadn't even stepped in the house and he was already wishing he could turn on his heel and walk back home. The thought was actually starting to tempt him when Hoseok clung onto his arm. "This is going to be so fun!" 

Sehun deadpanned, "If you weren't a male full of testosterone, I'd think you're my overly-attached girlfriend." 

Hoseok winked, "I don't have to be a guy to fulfill that position, loverboy." 

Sehun gagged and peeled his friend off of him, the two of them now reaching the front door. On the other side, the music was so loud, it threatened to break the door open. The front yard already had people lying down and rolling over in their drunken state, pointing up at stars that weren't even there. Sehun, bewildered, checked his time. It was only eight-thirty and people were already wasted. He couldn't even imagine the monstrosity that was happening behind the door. 

Hoseok knocked thrice with a bright smile on his face. Almost instantly, a petite girl with long, jet black hair flung open the door with a smile that was as equally as bright, much to Sehun's annoyance. He resisted the urge to roll his eyes at the girl. Not that she had done anything wrong by him, she was just too overly happy all the time. 

"Hello, boys! I'm so glad you made it!" Kyunghee exclaimed, almost too loudly. She noticed Sehun flinch for a second and smiled apologetically, "Sorry, the music's too loud! Can't even hear myself think!" 

The two of them walked in when Kyunghee opened the door wider to let them in. Sehun immediately regretted his decision to do so because it looked like he had just walked in an actual stampede. What he had expected to be a lush and grand living room, turned out to be a massive, disco dancefloor with people rubbing their sticky bodies all over each other. He glanced back at Kyunghee, who had run off to greet another guest and back at the chaos. How could Kyunghee, who looked like she was barely fourteen, throw a rager the size of Mexico City? 

Hoseok threw an arm around his tall friend, "Well, buddy. Run wild. Just call me if you're either arrested, dying or choking on someone's tongue, alright? Other than that, be free!" 

Hoseok released Sehun as if he was letting a bird fly free in the forest. Sehun rolled his eyes at his friend as he glided in between people to go greet some of his dance friends. When Hoseok left, Sehun immediately searched for the food table because he figured that that would be his only place of solitude. Food, drinks and nothing else. 

He passed by people who were animatedly chatting, passionately kissing and drinking. He saw a bowl of icy red liquid which he assumed to be "fruit punch". Already expecting someone to have spiked it by now, Sehun trudged over to the kitchen, swiftly sliding in between people, thanks to his tall and skinny build. Once the refrigerator was in sight, he opened it up and sighed in relief when he saw an unopened bottle of sparkling water. Of course, the little miss rich Park Kyunghee had sparkling water. 

Right as he gulped down half of the bottle, a light tap came on his shoulder. He turned around, only to be greeted by a girl who had almost the same get-up as Kyunghee; tight tank top, yoga pants and freshly styled hair. Only thing, she was slightly taller. The girl gave an eyesmile, which didn't faze Sehun one bit, "I notice you standing here by yourself, thought you'd might want a little company." 

Sehun glanced around and slowly shook his head, "I'm fine." 

The girl chuckled and her slight eyesmile turned into small crescents as she playfully hit Sehun's shoulder, "Don't be like that, silly! I'll start first. I'm Jeon Mina, Kyunghee's best friend." 

Well, it's no wonder why she dressed exactly like Kyunghee, Sehun chortled in his mind. He glanced at her outstretched hand and warily shook it. He wasn't in the mood to interact with anyone, let alone make friends. He cursed himself for being so antisocial. He was hoping that he had given off a "don't-speak-to-me" vibe but obviously, it didn't work for Mina. 

Mina leaned against the wall beside Sehun and sipped a bottle of her own sparkling water, "So, who're you here with? I reckon you don't have a girlfriend."

Sehun raised an eyebrow, "How are you so sure that I don't have one?" 

Mina giggled and flipped her hair behind her shoulder, "You're here alone at a rager, drinking sparkling water. How is that not obvious enough?" 

Sehun mentally rolled his eyes. This girl will not quit. He sighed and shrugged, "Well, I'm not looking for one either. So wherever you came from, I suggest going back there." 

"Jeez, why so cold?" Mina feigned hurt and shuddered. She tilted her head to the side, "You haven't told me your name." 

Sehun thought of a plan. If he gave a fake name, she wouldn't be able to search for him. The performing arts building was at the other side of campus, far away from the psychology studies building. Even if she did find him, he'll just pretend he had no clue who she was. 

Sehun cleared his throat, "Minho." 

Mina raised an eyebrow, "Just 'Minho'?" 

Sehun nodded fervently, "I was an orphan for as long as I can remember. I didn't really bother to pick a family name up in the long run, either." Not one part of him felt guilty for lying. He needed this girl away from him and out of his business. 

Lucky for him, Mina believed it and instantly gasped, "Oh, Minho. I am so sorry for bringing it up." 

"It's fine, really." Sehun looked around the vicinity and back at Mina, "I'll head to the bathroom first." 

Mina nodded her head eagerly, "Alright! It was great meeting you, Minho!" 

Sehun resisted the urge to break into a chuckle but kept his composure. He darted out of the kitchen and searched for the bathroom. He spotted the bathroom and was so close to finding refuge when a wave of blonde shoved past him. Sehun looked at the direction the person was going and was about to question what on Earth was going on when someone hollered from behind him, "Babe! I was only joking!" 

Sehun looked back and forth at the commotion. The blondie, who was about to storm out of the house, stopped in her tracks. The girl then turned around, her nostrils flaring in anger. 

It was then that Sehun felt the air in his lungs being knocked out. His jaw slackened and his heart beat increased by a tenfold. 

It couldn't be. It can't be, can it? 

Sehun felt all of his sanity drain out of his entire system. The girl. The girl who had ungracefully shoved Sehun out of her way and was now looking back at, looked exactly like the girl in his dreams. Byul. Only she had short, choppy blonde hair instead of the long, honey golden hair Byul sported. How was it possible? Was it fate? 

How has he never seen her around before? 

Sehun fervently shook his head to get a clearer picture of what was happening. Just as he was about to process the entire situation, the girl turned around once again and stormed out of the house. 

No, I can't lose her, Sehun became alarmed and ran after the girl. Standing on the front yard, he scanned the area. His eyes saw blonde and immediately followed after her. He didn't know why he did, but he called out, "Byul!" 

The girl turned around once but walked faster when she noticed a stranger running after her. She cursed under her breath and doubled her pace. 

“Byul! Wait!” Sehun called out to the girl. How could someone look so identical to the girl that has been appearing in his dreams? Sehun smacked himself once to make sure that this wasn’t just a cruel nightmare.

The girl flipped Sehun off,  “For the last time, stop calling me Byul because that sure as hell isn’t my name!”

Before she could get away, Sehun shot out his hand and grabbed her wrist. The girl spun around, impatient as ever. Sehun bit the inside of his cheek, “I’m sorry but you look exactly like the girl of my dreams.”

The girl deadpanned and snatched her hand away, “Look, person I don’t know, if you’re going to be one of those guys who has nothing to do in their lives but pick up girls, you could at least do it romantically.”

“No, I don’t mean it like that!” Sehun waved his hands around. “I meant you look like someone I know.”

The girl scoffed and fixed the cuffs of her leather jacket, “Well, too bad pal. I have no idea who you are.”

Before she could get away, Sehun grabbed her wrist once again. "It's late. At least let me take you home." 

With an incredulous look, the girl laughed humourlessly, "Are you bloody serious right now? You think I'm going to let a complete stranger near my house?" 

Sehun opened his mouth to object when he saw Kyunghee and Mina running up to them. Sehun mentally cursed. Kyunghee stopped in between the two of them, "What happened in there, Hyomin?" 

The girl, who was apparently named Hyomin, much to Sehun's disappointment, rolled her eyes, "Nothing, Kyunghee." She looked back at Sehun, "And can you please tell this goof to let go of my hand?" 

Kyunghee looked up, oddly surprised to see Sehun there. Sehun bit his lip as Kyunghee asked, "You know my cousin?" 

Sehun gulped, "Cousin?" 

Kyunghee nodded in confirmation, "Hyomin's my cousin. How do you know her?" 

"Beats me." Hyomin scoffed. 

Sehun shook his head once again and looked at Kyunghee, "I-I know this seems like a huge confusion but let me take your cousin home first, please." 

Mina piped up, "Minho, don't leave the party too soon!" 

Kyunghee gawked at Mina in confusion, her eyebrows knitting together, "W- Minho? Who's Minho?" 

In an effort to avoid any more interrogations, Sehun walked forward, pulling Hyomin along with him. Hyomin tried to tug herself free from this strange boy. "Hey! Let go of me, mister! I don't even know you!" 

When they were nowhere near Kyunghee's house anymore, Sehun let go of her wrist. Hyomin rubbed her raw wrist with her free hand and gave Sehun a dirty look. "What's it to you?" 

Sehun pinched the bridge of his nose. His head was going to explode any second. He would have never expected this kind of drama to happen in the span of one night. That's what he get for wanting a bit of drama in his life. The slight buzz of a neon sign broke his train of thought. He looked up and saw a milkshake parlor, still open. He got an idea and pulled Hyomin in the parlor. 

"Again with the pulling!" Hyomin said exasperatedly. 

Sehun looked back, "I'll buy you a milkshake if you just sit down with me." 

Hyomin stopped and pondered for a moment. First, this strange boy shouts a random name at her. Then he drags her around the neighbourhood and now, he expects her to sit down for a milkshake with him? 

"Listen.." Hyomin gestured to Sehun as a whole, "...you. I don't even know jack about you and you expect me to sit down for a milkshake? First off, I am not that cheap." 

Sehun opened his mouth but Hyomin cut him off, "Second, you drag me out of my cousin's party and suddenly everything's going to be okay after milkshake? What in the actual  is going on here?" 

Sehun sighed. He glanced at the ground, which seemed like the most interesting thing at that moment, and looked back up. He couldn't possibly blurt out, Oh, I dragged you here with me because you look exactly like the girl who repeatedly appears in my dreams and I can't ever forget about. We have gone on multiple dates and since then, I feel like you're my soulmate. Not unless he wants to be labelled as a psycho. Which can't look good since he's a psychology major. So, he said the one thing that seemed to make the most sense at the moment.

"You are the most beautiful girl I've ever seen and I can't let you get away."