Prologue

See You In Your Dreams

“Sehun-ah! Take a picture with me!” Byul, or as what Sehun calls her, beckoned for him to come. Sehun chuckled and jogged over to the bench where she was seated on.

Byul held up a peace sign while Sehun gave her a kiss on her cheek. Byul burst in laughter after snapping the picture. She looked at it and playfully smacked Sehun’s arm, “You’re so sneaky!” 

Sehun nuzzled into her neck and wrapped his arms around her waist. He whispered in her ear, “I wish moments like this would last longer.” 

He cherished the moment but it was soon broken when Byul stood up from the bench. She smiled softly, “It’s time for you to wake up, Sehun.” 

Sehun groaned, “Why now? Can’t it wait for at least five minutes?”

This made Byul giggle, “Silly Sehun. It’s already been seven hours!”

His eyes widened. He couldn’t believe how a short date with Byul in his dreams has taken seven hours in reality. Sehun looked up at Byul, “Promise me our next meeting will be longer?”

“See you in your dreams, Sehun.” Byul blew him a flying kiss before gradually disappearing into thin air. Sehun sighed and sat back on the bench. “Why does this keep happening to me?”

A loud noise jolted Sehun back into the real world. Sehun sat up on his bed, one of his eyes not being able to open because of the massive eye boogers collected on his eyelid.

Sehun glanced at his side and saw that it was already six in the morning. He had only an hour left before school started.

Sehun grumpily got out of bed and slipped on his fuzzy bear slippers. The aroma of instant noodles greeted him. He rubbed his eyes and saw his best friend and roommate, Hoseok, holding a pot full of ramen.

“Ramen for breakfast!” Hoseok held it out and sheepishly chuckled, “Again!” 

Sehun ignored his noisy friend and headed to the bathroom. He looked at himself in the mirror, clutching the sides of the sink, “What are you looking at?” He doused his face with water, removing the sleep from his eyes.

---

Sehun and Hoseok walked to their college that was so close they could already see the administrative building from their front door. Hoseok was busy texting his long-distance girlfriend when he suddenly grunted and shoved his phone in his pocket. Hoseok looked up at Sehun, who was slightly taller than him and sighed. “Let me tell you something about love, Sehun-ah. It is truly unpredictable. One day you’re a nobody, then suddenly someone comes into your life and they make you feel like the most important person in the whole world.”

Sehun gave an incredulous look at his friend, “Let me guess, another one of your quotes of love and wisdom?”

Hoseok patted Sehun’s shoulder, “It’s okay, my friend, you’ll find someone soon. Maybe.”

Sehun shook his head and stared ahead as they neared the campus. “I already have someone.” This caused Hoseok to groan, “You’re not talking about that Byul girl, are you? Sehun-ah, she’s fictional.”

Sehun rolled his eyes. “Yes, but I’m going to find someone that has exactly the same traits as Byul. Feminine, gentle, kind.”

Hoseok chortled, “My friend, you are delusional. What part of dreams do you not get? No girl in this world, especially not in this godforsaken town, is and will be as “perfect” as how you describe Byul to be. And if she is, she’ll probably be ugly and not as perfect as “Byul”.”

Sehun frowned, “Yah, not everyone is as perfect as your little American girlfriend.”

At the mention of Lucy, his girlfriend whom he had met during the holidays last year and left back in Los Angeles, Hoseok dreamily sighed. “She is perfect, isn’t she?”

For the umpteenth time, Sehun rolled his eyes and went into the Psychological Studies building, leaving Hoseok still daydreaming about his girlfriend. Since he was a little boy, he had wanted to be someone who studies human psychology and what makes them act the way they do. To put it short, he wanted to be a therapist because truthfully, therapists are the superheroes of the real world.

Sehun took a seat nearest to the window and settled down as his professor started the lecture. As his professor droned on about the human brain and it’s nerves, he found himself thinking about Byul once again.

The recurring dreams of Byul started right after he finished watching a romantic drama one night. Of course, it was one of those nights where he wallows in self-pity and he’ll wish that he was lucky enough to get himself the perfect lead actress in a film that featured his boring life.

Byul was the perfect girl. She had long, brown locks that stopped just at her waistline. Her heart shaped lips were so irresistible and her hands were as soft as pillows. Her skin was blemish free, making her skin radiate even if it was in the dark. That was why Sehun started to name her Byul, because she was the star in his dreams. Byul was the type of girl that was able to make anyone fall in love with her, including Sehun.

But Sehun didn’t think it was normal. He of all people should know. He had been studying human psychology for too long to know that all this wasn’t normal. Why would he have continuous dreams about the same girl in the same white, flowing dress every night? Why would she appear in his dreams? And of all things, why would she claim that she was his soulmate?

Sehun shook out of his thoughts when Professor Woo called his name. He looked up, “Yes, professor?”

Professor Woo looked at him, his thick glasses sitting on the tip of his nose, “See me after class, Sehun.”

Sehun sighed and leaned back in his chair.

--

When class ended, Sehun walked to the front of the lecture hall and lightly knocked on Professor Woo’s desk, who was busy reading through the class’s essays from the previous day. Professor Woo looked up, “Ah, Sehun. Sit down.”

Sehun awkwardly sat himself in front of Professor Woo. “What was it you wanted to see me about, professor?”

Professor Woo gently placed his pen down and rubbed his chin. He then folded his arms, “You seem troubled lately, Sehun. Do you want to talk about it?”

Sehun straightened up, his eyebrows lifted in surprise, “W-What? Oh, it’s nothing, really. Just school.”

But all Professor Woo did was chuckle and placed his folded arms on the table, “Sehun, I’ve been in this field for twenty years. Clearly, I’ll know when something’s wrong and especially when you actually want to talk about it.”

Sehun bit his lip and cleared his throat, “Well, don’t freak out or anything but I’ve been having weird recurring dreams about a girl. And in the dreams, she says that she’s my soulmate or something. Every time I dream about her, we’re either on a date or just smiling at each other but it never really turns into a nightmare. To add it all up, every time each dream ends, she would say, “See you in your dreams”, it’s confusing and usually I would shake it off but she keeps appearing, not that I’m complaining, but why does she keep appearing?” Sehun scratched his head. He sheepishly looked up at Professor Woo, who just kept his gaze on Sehun.

After a few seconds, Professor Woo straightened up. “Well, I will have to get back to you for a theoretical explanation but for now, you have to keep track of these dreams. I know it’ll be hard but do your best and maybe we’ll figure it all out to come up with a proper explanation.”

Sehun nodded and stood up. He bowed to Professor Woo and went out the lecture hall. Right as he exited, Hoseok scooped his hand around Sehun’s neck. “Sehun-ah! How many more classes do you have for the day?”

Sehun shook his head, “That was the only class I had for today.”

Hoseok grinned, “Awesome! I finished classes as well, let’s grab lunch?”

As typical college students, their idea of lunch wasn’t all that grand. They stopped by a food stall that sold black bean noodles and ate lunch.

“Yah, Kyunghee from ballet is throwing a massive party this Friday.” Hoseok nudged his friend as he slurped his noodles. Sehun silently chewed his food. He had no intentions on going because unlike Hoseok, he was an introvert and wasn’t as outgoing as his friend who had people greeting him left and right.

“Come on, it’ll be fun!” Hoseok grinned at Sehun, his teeth slightly black from the sauce. Sehun sighed, “Fun? The last time I followed you to a party, I got offered chips that had drug-infused salsa. You call that fun.”

“Please?” Hoseok snuggled Sehun’s arm. Sehun, slightly disgusted, pulled his hand away, “Ah, fine! But I’m not consuming anything and I’m bringing my own bottled water.”

“What could go wrong?” Hoseok lifted his bowl up to slurp the rest of the sauce. He placed his bowl down, “Plus, it’s Kyunghee. She’s too much of a good girl to be providing drugs.”

Sehun gave Hoseok a bored look. Hoseok grinned again and looked at Sehun’s bowl that was still more or less full. “Yah, you going to finish that?”