Chapter 4 – Fourth Lie

A Little White Lie

Sunday, April 19th 2015

I had a dream last night. The most beautiful dream that I ever had.

‘She said that she love me then kissed me right on my lips’

I felt someone stir beside me and snuggle closer to me. I slowly opened my eyes to find her sleeping soundly next to me.

‘Was it not a dream?’ I shook my head as I recalled what we did last night.

“Yonghwa-yah! Joohyun-ah! Wake-up!” my sister called and knocked at our locked room.

I saw her wake up gracefully and greet me with her sleepy face, “Good Morning, Oppa.”

“Good Morning, ...Sunbae?” I was a little bit confused about what should I call her.

She pouted her lips.

“Joohyun...?”

“Call me Hyun from now on, my lovely-boyfriend,” she emphasized that ‘boyfriend’ word clearly.

“Aigooo. You'll be the death of me!” I breathed out heavily while she was just giggling at my behaviour.

“Please don’t hate me,” she looked at me seriously.

“I won’t. I swear I will love you now and forever. Saranghae~”

“Forever is a strong word,” she mumbled and pulled me into our first morning kiss as a real-couple.

“Yah! Get up both of you! Now!” my sister shouted and knocked at the door furiously, “I need to change my clothes and meet my future-sister-in-laws please.”

We broke our kiss and laughed at my sister desperate scolding. Nevertheless, I started to kiss her jawline again while brushed her gently.

“Oppa, stop it please or Unnie will tear down that door,” she pecked my lips before she got up and walked to the bathroom.

‘I love you, Hyun’

***

Sica Noona hit my head as soon as I entered the dining room, “How dare you did that in my room moreover on my precious bed?”

“I’m sorry, Noona, I got carried away so I forgot that was your room,” I apologized while scratched my head.

“Good morning, Omma~! Good morning, Hyu~n!” I greeted them as I kissed Joohyun’s cheek quickly.

“Oppa~, how could you kiss me in front of your mother? It’s embarrassing,” she covered her blushing face with her hands.

“Arraseo arraseo. I’m sorry, Omma.”

“It’s okay, dear. I hope to hear some good news from both of you soon,” Omma showed her mischievous smile.

We talked about many things as we enjoyed our breakfast together like a complete happy family. Until we discussed about Noona’s plan after the wedding.

“Unnie, will you move out and stay in your own house after the wedding? But if you move out and we live outside the city, that means Omonim will live in this house alone,” she asked innocently.

At that very second, I noticed the familiar grim expression on my mother face before she hyperventilated and cried uncontrollaby. I hugged my mother instantly and soothed her to calm down.

“Shh, shh, we’re not going anywhere, Omma. We’ll never leave you alone. Never. Sorry for speaking like that before. I’m sorry, Omma. I’m really sorry.”

Then I brought my mother to her room while Noona prepared the bed.

Two hours later, Joohyun quickly approached me when I came out from my mother’s room.

“Is she okay now?” she asked worriedly, “I’m sorry, Oppa. I should not talk about that thing earlier. I didn’t know that my words could hurt her so much. I’m really sorry.”

“She is sleeping now,” I took her hand and led her to sit on the sofa, “It’s okay, it’s not your fault.”

She sat silently, maybe waited for my explanation.

“My mother got depression when my father passed away four years ago,” I started to tell her the story.

“After that, she was afraid that everyone will eventually leave her alone and never come back. She will hyperventilate or cry or scream, as you’ve just seen, or even faint. It happened a lot during my college days, though not all of the time.”

“That was why you took a leave on your second year?” she aksed me carefully when I just nodded.

“But she was getting better these days. That made me and Noona dared to move forward with our future. I applied for a job and started to work outside the city, while Noona will start her new family next week. My mother was so happy and supported us sincerely when she knew about our plan. We even celebrated it together before I went to Seoul. I think she started to realize the whole situation just now, and she was not ready.”

Then she hugged me tightly as I broke into tears.

‘What should I do?’

***

Friday, July 10th 2015

Our relationship had been working smoothly for more than 2 months since that memorable Busan trip. Our first trip that we started as a fake-couple, but ended up as a real-couple. It also my very first time to cry my heart out over my mother’s condition to someone else. Much to my relief, she accepted the reality and even assured me that we will work on it together.

She kept her promise. She came to Busan with me several times to visit my mother. Even if the depression relapsed during our visit, she would stay and take care of my mother patiently. I could not ask for more than the love she gives for me and my family. I just hoped my mother would recover soon and start to love her back. Nonetheless, my mother health kept deteriorating until she need to be hospitalized.

“Oppa, are you listening to me?” she whined and pouted her lips.

“Ahh, mianhe. I was just thinking about something.”

“What is it?”

“You.”

“Me? Why? Is there something wrong with me? But I didn’t spill my juice on this dress at lunch today,” she checked her outfit worriedly.

“There isn’t anything wrong with your dress. It’s beautiful. You’re so beautiful,” I ruffled her hair lovingly.

“Eeiii~, you don’t have to flatter me for a kiss, Jung Yonghwa-ssi,” she leaned closer and pecked my lips.

“Argh, I should move out to another team, too much PDA around here,” Jonghyun grumbled when he came back from his application demo in front of the CTO.

“How about you move to HR Department so you can get closer to Yoona-ssi?” I suggested him while the latter just smiled in embarassment.

“Ahh, Joohyun-ssi, I forget to tell you that Mr.Kim asked me to remind you to submit the last module for the ‘R’ project immediately. Why do you keep missing the deadline? This isn’t like you. You should focused on your work, rather than cuddling with your boyfriend,” Jonghyun reminded her.

“Arraseo arraseo, just cut it out with the nagging,” she scoffed.

“Hyun, is everything alright? Do you need some help?” I offered her.

“It’s okay, I can still manage. Besides, this is my responsibility not yours,” she replied shortly then continued to finish her works.

She had always been like that. Never shared her burdens or let me to help her. Sometimes I felt her so close yet so far. She showed her love boldly, yet she never told me about her personal life. She always diverted the topic if I tried to talk about her family or her childhood memories.

‘Why are you so mysterious, Hyun?’

***

Saturday, July 11th 2015

Sica Noona and I decided to take care of my mother in turn. She would go on weekdays while I would go on the weekend, so that she could have time for her own family on the weekend.

That day I had my turn to take care of my mother. And as usual, Hyun also came with me. There was a time I felt sorry for her because she spent her time in the hospital almost every weekend, though she never complained. She said that it was okay as long as she was with me.

“Hyun, do you want to have lunch now?” I asked her after I put my mother to sleep.

“You go first, Oppa, I’m still not hungry. Let me finish this chapter then I will follow you to the cafetaria.”

She could not be interrupted if she had started to read her book. So, I went to the cafetaria before her.

.

.

A few moments later..

I had finished my lunch and waited for her but she didn’t come. I decided to bring her lunch and get back to my mother’s room.

I was about to enter the room when I heard her voice faintly.

“You should never told me the little white lie that time.”

‘A little white lie?’

Suddenly I heard my mother screamed and cried uncontrollaby. I opened the door hurriedly to find her standing still with her arms crossed. She was just looking at my mother with her familiar unreadable expression.

“Hyun, what was happening here?” I shouted at her and hold my mother tightly, “It’s okay, Omma, everything is gonna be okay.”

“Yonghwa-yah, Yonghwa..!” my mother called my name helplessly.

Then, she left without a word when my mother finally fainted.

‘What’s that supposed to mean?’


Author's note:

There were another lies. Why did she do that? What secret did Seohyun hid from Yonghwa?

I’m really sorry to disappoint you that I challenge myself to add a little drama and unconsciously make Seohyun look bad in this chapter. But don’t worry, I’ll keep my promise to tell you the truth soon.

Thank you so much for all comments, subscribers, and readers. I hope you still enjoy this story even though the storyline looks like a rush and the update is late.

See you on the next update :)

- minikittybdg -