Chapter 2 – Second Lie

A Little White Lie

Thursday, April 9th 2015

We chatted happily about the last movie we watched. No, I didn’t watch it together with her because I never dared to ask her out except to walk her to the bus stop. We just shared the movie and watched separately to discuss it later when we met.

Then I saw an unfamiliar man in the lobby, called out her name.

“Joohyun-ah~”

She stopped her track and looked at that man angrily, “What are you doing here, Jinwoon-ssi?”

‘So that man is Jinwoon’

“I’m picking you up, Baby. I have been waiting for you for about one hour. Don't work overtime too often, working too hard can give you a heart attack, you know,” he walked toward her while spread his arms.

“Don’t you dare to come closer! And I’m not your baby, remember that!” she yelled at him.

I was stunned. I never heard her raise her voice, let alone yell at someone. This Jinwoon must have done something really bad to her in the past.

Yet he didn’t stop, so I blocked his way.

“Hey, what’s wrong with you? She said do not come closer to her,” I warned him.

“Oh-ho, who is this man, Joohyun-ah? Your new fanboy? Why don’t you introduce me to him?”

“Don’t waste your time, Yonghwa-ssi. Let’s go now,” she started to walk away.

“Joohyun-ah, wait for me! Let me drop you at your house, okay?” he chased her and tried to grab her wrist.

Without realizing, I pushed him hard until he fell on the floor.

“Stop it, please!” I yelled at him, “I’m her boyfriend. So stay away from her! You’re hu---”

Then I felt her hand grabbed my wrist and dragged me out of the office. She let go of my hand right away when we arrived at the bus stop.

“Are you crazy? What did you do just now?” she asked me furiously.

“I’m sorry, Sunbae. You looked so angry back then and he didn’t want to stop, I could not stay put. As I remembered, Tiffany said that he will stay away from you if you have a boyfriend. So I sa--“

“Just don’t meddle with my problems, okay?” she cut my explanation.

“But—“

“Please, Yonghwa-ssi. Jebalyo,” she got on a taxi and went away.

‘I’m sorry Joohyun-ssi’

***

She didn’t come to the office on the next day. Tiffany said she got flu.

‘Is that true? Or she just try to avoid me? Isn’t she being overdramatic? I was just trying to help her. But maybe she is really sick. Should I visit her?’

My phone rang and stopped my train of thought about her.

“Yoboseyo?”

“Yoboseyo~, my dear brother. What are you doing?”

“Oh, Noona! Of course I’m working right now. Where are you? Are you in Seoul?”

“You really can read my mind, huh? Yes, I’m in Seoul right now. Are you free tomorrow? Let’s have lunch together and catch up on our lives before I go back to Busan. I will sleep at my friend’s place tonight.”

“Okay. Just text me the place. See you tomorrow.”

***

Saturday, April 11th 2015

“Noona!” I called my sister out when I arrived at ‘Y’ Restaurant.

“Yonghwa-yah! It’s been a while, I really miss you.”

She hugged me tightly as we met. We ordered a lot of food and chatted happily. She told me about all preparations of her wedding that will be held at the end of this month. She was reminding me about my fitting schedule next weekend, when suddenly Jinwoon showed up in front of me.

“Look who’s dating here. Joohyun’s boyfriend with his new girlfriend. What a lovely day. Should I take a picture for Joohyun later?”

“Just get away from here, Jinwoon-ssi. I don’t want to get any trouble with you,” I replied curtly.

He just snorted and said, ”But I don’t think Joohyun will say a word about this. You’re not her boyfriend after all. I could see it clearly that night, you are just her new fanboy. And for your information, I’m used to deal with her fanboys, as I always stay by her side all of this time. So, please try to accept the fact that she doesn’t love you more than just a friend.”

“Shut up your mouth, Jinwoon-ssi. Don’t embarrass yourself by courting a woman that will never be yours because she is mine,” I said arrogantly.

“What a bluff! Call her now and ask her to come here as soon as possible. Let’s see what will she say to you on the phone.”

“I don’t want to. She had flu since yesterday, so she need to take a rest at home.”

“Tch, such a liar.”

“I’m not.”

“Then proof it! Call her! Now.”

“Yonghwa-yah, who is this man? And who is Joohyun? Do you really have a girlfriend?” Noona asked me confusedly.

“Ah, it’s a long story, but it’s true that Joohyun is my girlfriend. I’m dating her for a while now. And this man is her stalker. So I ask him to stay away from her,” I explained hesitantly.

“Really? Kyaa so cute, my little brother has a girlfriend. He has grown up now. Then, why don’t you just call her now and introduce her to me? And make this man shut up his mouth forever.”

I looked at my sister’s face worriedly, before I picked up my phone and started to call Joohyun’s number. I was not sure if she would pick up my call, we were not in a good term. After a few rings, she picked up the call with her hoarse voice.

“Yoboseyo?”

“Yoboseyo, Hyun-ah. How are you now? Are you still have a fever?” I acted groggily.

“De?! Did you just call me ‘Hyun’? Are you calling the wrong number, Yonghwa-ssi?” she sounded puzzle.

“Oh, you’re still have a fever. Actually, right now I’m meeting my sister at ‘Y’ Restaurant and accidentally meet your stalker, Jinwoon, here. And he is disturbing us by saying that I’m not your boyfriend. He wants to meet you personally to confirm it. And my sister also wants to get to know you if you don’t mind. But if you are still sick, just take a proper rest at home. I’ll try to talk to them about your condition. Take care and get well soon, Hyun-ah,” I prayed hard that she would understand the whole situation.

I was about to end the call, when she suddenly spoke up, “Wait a minute! Aigoo, look what you’ve got if you tried to act like a hero, young man. Just wait for me, I’ll be there in about 10 minutes. Fortunately, I just live few blocks from that place.”

“Really? Thank you so much, Hyun-ah. I’m really sorry for troubling you. Take your time, I’ll wait for you even if it takes forever,” I responded cheerfully.

“Yuck, that’s so cheesy, Yonghwa-ssi. Ah, about the ‘Hyun’ thing, we will talk seriously about that later, okay?” then she ended the call. I was sure my cheeks were already bright red.

‘Indeed, she would never leave the people in need’

***

50 minutes later...

“Where is she, Yonghwa-yah? Is her house far from here?” Noona asked me.

I just looked out the window and hoped she would really come.

“See, she’s not coming. You are lying. Joohyun is not your girlfriend, right?” Jinwoon mocked.

Then, I saw her entering the restaurant.

“Hyun-ah~,” I stood up and waved at her.

She just nodded and walked toward us, “I’m very sorry I’m late.”

“It’s okay. Let’s have a seat.”

Her face was so pale and looked like she had been crying. I thought she was really sick.

“Hyun-ah, are you okay?” I saw her flinch when I placed my hand on her forehead.

“I’m okay now. Maybe a little bit dizzy, but it’s okay,” she replied weakly.

“Yah! Stop that lovey-dovey act!” Noona told me.

“Arraseo. Hyun, let me introduce you to my twin sister. She was born a few minutes before me, so I call her noona. Hyun, this is Jung Sooyeon. Noona, this is Seo Joohyun.”

“Annyeonghaseyo, Jung Sooyeon-imnida. Nice to meet you.”

“Annyeonghaseyo, Seo Joohyun-imnida. Nice to meet you, too,” she bowed politely.

“Well, Joohyun-ssi, I heard that you’re dating my brother. Is that true?”

“Joohyun-ah, don’t lie to me please. I promised I won’t bother you again even if you don’t have a boyfriend,” Jinwoon whined and pleaded to her.

I was about to confess and put an end to this complicated situation, when suddenly her trembling hand grabbed my hand and said, ”Yes, he’s my boyfriend.”

I just smiled at her and hold her hand tightly.

 

‘I lied again to make her mine’


Author's note:

Was it just an act? Or Does Seohyun want Yonghwa as her real-boyfriend?

I'm sorry to keep you guessing. But I promise I'll tell you the truth soon. So, please bear with me and do comment to inspire me for the next update. I hope I'll remain stable to keep update this story regularly.

For all comments, subscribers and readers, thank you so much for your support.

Please enjoy the story and see you on the next update :)