Chapter 3 – Third Lie

A Little White Lie

Saturday, April 11th 2015

“Hyun-ah,” I stood up and waved at her when I saw her entering the restaurant.

She just nodded and walked toward us, “I’m very sorry I’m late.”

“It’s okay. Let’s have a seat.”

Her face was so pale and looked like she had been crying. I thought she was really sick.

‘Stupid me, why did I ask her to come to this place?’

“Hyun-ah, are you okay?” I saw her flinch when I place my hand on her forehead.

“I’m okay now. Maybe a little bit dizzy, but it’s okay,” as she looked down to her hands on her lap.

“Yah! Stop that lovey-dovey act! Let’s get the things done so you can send her home to rest. I don’t think she is okay,” Noona told me.

“Arraseo. Hyun, let me introduce you to my twin sister. She was born a few minutes before me, so I call her noona. Hyun, this is Jung Sooyeon. Noona, this is Seo Joohyun.”

“Annyeonghaseyo, Jung Sooyeon-imnida. But you can call me Jessica. Nice to meet you.”

She was observing Sica Noona for a while before introduced herself.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Seo Joohyun-imnida. Nice to meet you, too,” she bowed politely.

“Well, I will get straight to the point. Joohyun-ssi, I heard that you’re currently dating my brother. Is that true?”

“Joohyun-ah, don’t lie to me please. You don’t have to do this. I promised I won’t bother you again even if you don’t have a boyfriend,” Jinwoon whined and pleaded to her, although she ignored him since the beginning.

I was about to confess and put an end to this complicated situation, when suddenly her trembling hand grabbed my hand and said almost in a whisper, ”Yes, he’s my boyfriend.”

My eyes widened as I heard what she said. I looked to her direction, but she had an unreadable expression for a split second before she turned and smiled at me lovingly like she always does. I smiled back at her like a love sick teenager and hold her hand tightly.

‘Oh I really love her smile’

***

Thursday, April 16th 2015

It had been 5 days since the restaurant incident and a week since Joohyun came to the office last thursday. Tiffany said that she was still sick and forbade her to pay a visit because it was contagious. It really made me worry.

I remembered that Saturday after she confirmed our ‘relationship’ in front of them, Jinwoon walked out angrily while Sica Noona screamed with happiness and congratulated us. Later on, Noona asked her to come to Busan with me next weekend to meet my mother and also offered to get her a gown for the wedding, since she was my girlfriend. But she refused it immediately and said that she would find a gown by herself. However, she said that she would like to come to Busan with me. I was not sure why would she do that. I thought she was just being polite to my sister.

After Noona went home, she just stared silently at the ceiling for a long time, before she sighed deeply and excused herself to go home without gave me a chance to say anything.

I decided to apologize and talk about this matter as soon as she showed up in the office. We should stop these stunts before it became more complicated. Yet she never come to the office since then.

‘What an unpredictable woman’

***

Friday, April 17th 2015

“Good morning, guys!”

“Oh, Joohyun-ssi..! Where have you been all of this time? Are you okay now?”

I turned my head to the door and saw her standing there with her favorite lose checkered shirt and jeans while she was greeting everyone cheerfully. She hugged and patted Tiffany back lightly, when the latter asked her condition worriedly. She assured Tiffany that she had fully recovered. Then she saw me sit still and gape at her.

“Earth to Yonghwa!” she waved her hand in front of my face and greeted me, “Good morning! Did you get into some troubles while I was away?”

“I thought you had forgotten me,” I responded awkwardly.

“Is it possible to forget my own ‘boyfriend’?” she whispered right to my ear and laughed so hard when she saw my face redden.

‘She was back, my cheerful supervisor was back’

***

“Well, what’s the plan?”

We were having our dinner when she started to discuss about our plan for Busan trip on the next day.

“There’s no plan, you don’t have to come to Busan. Sooner or later, I must confess to Sica Noona anyway. It’s not good for both of us if we keep lying about this matter. I’m really sorry if I’ve made your problem more complicated, Sunbae,” I bowed for a few times.

“That’s wierd.”

“What is wierd?”

“You. You call me Sunbae just now, right? not Hyun?” she teased me.

“I’m sorry, okay? I was really panic last time. Your friend – Jinwoon, could not stop mocking at me about our ‘relationship’ and forced me to call you. I could not call my ‘girlfriend’ Sunbae, could I?” I defended myself.

“I was laying on my bed, trying to get some sleep, when suddenly my phone rang and someone called me ‘Hyun-ah’. To say that I was surprised would be an understatement.”

“I’ve said that I’m sorry.”

Yet she continued, “But I like that.”

“What do you like?”

“You call me Hyun. I like that.”

‘Thump,’ my heart skipped a beat when she said that.

I stared at her with what-do-you-mean look, but she just shrugged.

‘Oh I’m so dead’

***

Saturday, April 18th 2015

I stood in front of my house while holding her hand. Yes, we decided to go to Busan as a ‘couple’. Why? I didn’t understand either. Last night she insisted that she would like to go to Busan with me to meet my mother and refresh her mind. In return, I will accompany her to the reunion next month. After that we will end our ‘relationship’.

“Yong Oppa?” she called me. And yes, she also insisted to call me that during this Busan trip. She said that she must act properly as my ‘girlfriend’.

I took a deep breath and rang the bell.

“Yonghwa-yah! I really miss you, my son,” my mother ran and hugged me tightly.

“I miss you, too, Omma. How are you doing lately?” as I hugged her back.

“Never been better. Oh, you bring another guest? Who is she?”

“De, Omma. Let me introduce her to you. She is my girlfriend, Seo Joohyun.”

“Really? Aigoo, my little boy has grown up now. Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Yonghwa’s mother”

But she just stood still and looked at my mother intently with similar expression she had when she met my sister. She looked tense or maybe she was too nervous to act in front of my mother.

“Hyun? Hyun-ah? Are you okay?” I touched her shoulder and wake her up from her reverie.

“Ahh, de. I’m sorry for spacing out. Annyeonghaseyo, Seo Joohyun-imnida. Nice to meet you, ... Omonim,” she paused for awhile before smiled shyly.

“De~, nice to meet you too. Oh, you’re so beautiful, Joohyun-ah. Please come in,” my mother took her hand and brought her in.

‘I hope we will pass this weekend without any problems’

***

We spent our time chatting and laughing about my childhood memories. My mother was so excited to tell her everything about me. They teamed up together to tease me endlessly.

Late in the afternoon, Joohyun and I went out to the bridal shop to try my tuxedo and meet my sister. Noona jumped in glee when she saw Joohyun. She asked Joohyun to sleep in her room tonight and warned me not to go near of her room for Joohyun's safety. ‘Tch, my sister and her wild imagination’ I just chuckled but looked away when I saw Joohyun's blushing cheeks. My heart beat faster.

After the fitting schedule, we drop Noona at the wedding hall. She will meet her fiance there because she needed to check several things with their wedding planner.

We drove around Busan for a couple of hours before we drove back home. I showed Joohyun the beach, my school, my favorite snack stall, and many memorable places for me in Busan. I promised her that I will be her tour guide if she visit Busan another time.

We had dinner together with my mother and chatted for more hours, before she excused herself to take a rest.

After I freshen up myself, I knocked at her room. *Knock knock*

“Come in.”

I opened the door slightly and peeked inside the room, “May I come in?”

“I think Unnie will come home late, right?” she asked me.

“Yep. She just called me to inform you that she will come home late, maybe around midnight. Her fiance asked her to go somewhere with him. You don’t have to wait for her.”

“It’s okay, Oppa. I’m not that sleepy.”

“And you don’t have to act anymore, my mother has slept a while ago."

"Hmm.."

"Sunbae, thank you so much for today. It has been a long time since I saw my mother smiling so happily. I hope you will remain as a good friend for me and my family even if our ‘relationship’ is over.”

She just smiled and walked silently toward me. Then she stared at me lovingly before she kissed me right on my lips.

“I love you, Oppa.”

“I love you more,” I pulled her nape to deepen the kiss.

 

‘Finally, we are honest about our feelings’


Author's note:

No more lies? Is this the final chapter? But I didn’t mark the story complete yet.

Thank you so much for all comments, subscribers, and readers. I'm really sorry for not replying each of your message. But it always make my day and motivate me to update this story.

Please enjoy the story and see you on the next update :)

- minikittybdg -