polite people have no place at a black friday sale

the polite-off

Jeonghan sighs as another shopper brushes past him.  “Sorry.”  Jeonghan calls out even though he’s the one deserving of an apology.

He’s never been to a sale that pushes this much product on one day, but Seungcheol insisted, no, begged because how else is he supposed to get noise-canceling headphones at such a reasonably low price?  Jeonghan wishes that he knew how to say no, especially to Seungcheol.  He almost did, but then Hansol just had to have some limited edition sneaker.

He tries to stay out of the way of the rambunctious and manner-less shoppers.  He clutches onto his list like a ridiculously wealthy woman would her pearls.  While he may have been peer pressured into attending this “blow-out” sale to kick off the holiday shopping season, he’s still willing to sift through the deals to find some gifts for his friends.

A cart whizzes past him, packed to the brim with boxed up technology on the brink of falling out of the cart.  He watches as another shopper tries to swipe one of the boxes (a tablet of some sort) from the cart.  The man pushing the cart full on stops, screaming at the thief with fists poised to punch the lights out of the sticky- woman.

Jeonghan bustles away, glancing back to find that the woman had her hands in the man’s hair.  This excursion is truly terrifying, and it gets worse when a chubby security officer jogs toward the aisle that Jeonghan has just escaped, keys jangling on his belt as he passes Jeonghan.  He never could have imagined such a sight in his wildest dreams, and yet here he is, meters away from a fight between grown people over a tablet.

Gripping his list a little tighter (as if someone might steal it from him), Jeonghan finds himself on a sparsely populated aisle.  He’s managed to land himself on an aisle filled with miscellaneous room decorations.  Giant red signs label the most of the items as clearance in addition to their initial markdown, the storewide sale makes the items cost next to nothing.

Jeonghan scans the items, looking for something to pique his interest.  Of all things, it ends up being a lava-lamp that catches Jeonghan’s attention.  Chan would probably love a lava-lamp.  He loves things that are “retro”, well that and anything related Michael Jackson.  It’s the only lava-lamp in sight, so Jeonghan reaches for it, supposing that it would be hard to find another.

Jeonghan lays a hand on the box at the exact same time as another shopper.  Jeonghan looks up to find a wide-eyed stranger peering back at him.  They simultaneously take their hands off of the glossy cardboard box of the lamp.

The stranger clears his throat, “You have it.”  He offers in a honey voice, gesturing to the box with both hands.

Jeonghan shakes his head; he was raised right.  All of his etiquette would not be compromised by a sale. “No, that’s okay.  You touched it first.”  Jeonghan cedes, taking a small step back.

“No, no, no, no.” The stranger repeats, shaking his head and insisting, “You saw it first.”

As absurd as it might be, Jeonghan could not, would not, take the lava-lamp.  Jeonghan shifts, crossing his arms, “I insist.” He enunciates every syllable, “It’s yours.”

The stranger frowns as he tilts his head to the side, “Please.”  He says with wide and serious eyes, “Take it.”  It’s almost as though the stranger is trying to out do him in terms of politeness and goodness.

Jeonghan’s response doesn’t even get out because another person snatches the lava lamp from between them.  With a scoff, the random shopper walks away, muttering something about Jeonghan and his stranger being absolute fools.  From the outside, the exchange between the men could be considered baffling, especially on today of all days.

Jeonghan scratches his neck, looking back at the stranger.  Simultaneously, they let out soft laughs.  The man runs his hand through his short hair, “I admire your politesse.”

Jeonghan bites his lower lip, as he smiles, “I’ve never been so well matched with manners.”  He compliments the stranger, absentmindedly touching his hair.  He’s glad to know that he’s not alone in his appreciation for kindness and manners.

“I’m Jisoo.” He introduces himself with a smile, extending his hand toward Jeonghan.

“Nice to meet you Jisoo.”  He says quietly, accepting Jisoo’s hand, “I’m Jeonghan.”

Jisoo clears his throat after Jeonghan lets go of his hand.  “I should get back to shopping.”

“Yeah.” Jeonghan agrees, but neither makes a move to leave.  “Do you want my number?” 

Jisoo looks surprised.  It makes Jeonghan giggle, “You know, to discuss mannerly conduct and whatnot.”

“Ah.” Jisoo replies, quickly taking his phone out and handing it to Jeonghan.

As Jeonghan inputs his number, another shopper brushes past them, knocking Jeonghan into Jisoo.  They bump foreheads, but rather than taking care of himself, Jeonghan feels it as Jisoo stands on his tippy toes to blow warm air on Jeonghan’s forehead.  He’s so close to swooning that it’s embarrassing.

Blushing, Jeonghan hands Jisoo’s phone back to him, bowing fully before walking away.  He wants to scream like a little girl, but it’s not the time or place.  He can’t even bring himself to say goodbye because he might mess it up somehow.

It’s not everyday that Jeonghan gets to meet a perfect, cute, gentlemanly boy, even if it’s at the expense of Chan’s Christmas gift.  He can always get Chan another Michael Jackson poster.

 

a/n:
idk. they would though.
okay comment or subscribe or upvote.
let me live even though it's terrible and short.