Prisoner

Devoted Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Don’t try to challenge my sanity.”

Park Shin Hye gasped for breath, gulping impossibly thin air into her lungs that refused to inflate properly. She felt herself tensed up at his words as she felt shock go through her body.

What happened to him? Since the first time she saw him, thirteen years before or thirteen years after, this is the first time she saw him like this… dangerous and overbearing.

This is… not right. She was supposed be the one who is angry now… not him. He broke his promise and crossed her most forbidden line. What makes him think he has the right to command and threaten her now? And… and he even fed her the medicine using his mouth… with a very possessive and ungentle deep kiss.

“I can be very nice if I want to be a ‘mister nice man’.”

His husky voice was heard again and brought Shin Hy’s attention back to him. ‘Mister nice man’? What does that mean? Does he mean… he is just pretending to be nice all this while? This version of him… is the real him?

“But if you continue to act like this, I bet you wouldn’t like to see me angry.” Min Ho said, brushing his thumb against her moisture and alluring lips. He tried very hard to sound stern and scary but god knows how fast his heart is pounding in his chest. “Don’t force me to show you my real face.”

My real face?

Min Ho laughed silently at himself. What kind of real face can he show in front of this difficult woman?

 

~~~~~

 

Twelve hours ago…

 

“What?” Min Ho’s brows furrowed together as his voice was almost shouting at the phone he was holding.

“She refuses to take her medicine?” Min Ho let out an exaggerated sigh before bringing his hand up to his forehead and massaged his aching temples.

This woman unbelievable and driving him crazy. Since this morning she saw Park Doo Jun in the hospital, everything has turned into a total mess. Even after Park Doo Jun has left, she still threw her tantrum and tried in every way to make him feel bad than he already was.

He was totally helpless and doesn’t know what he can do to make her feel better. She refused to talk to him, refused to look at him and even refused to eat. With her acting like this, he has no choice but to give in and leave her alone. Although he was gone, he has talked to the hospital and arranged a personal nurse to take care of her when he is not around.

After he left the hospital, his mind suddenly went blank and doesn’t know where to go. Office? Even if he goes back now, he won’t be able to focus on his work. Home? No, he doesn’t want to face any one of them at home now, especially Bo Young. He is not in the mood to discuss about the engagement and keep assuring her that he will not change his heart.

So at last, he chose to go to Back Alley and let Kim Hee Sun to keep him accompanied. It was almost 10pm when he arrived and as usual the place is noisy with loud music, crowded with people, drinking and having their happy hour with friends. He took his usual table at the most quiet corner and lost himself in his own world. But no matter how hard he tried to control his emotion, he still couldn’t help but to call the personal nurse every thirty minutes since he left.

He thought her mood would turn better after he was gone but it seems like he has underestimate her temper. When she is angry, she can be very… difficult and troublesome. She definitely has the ability to make someone’s life turned upside down and go crazy for her. Everything about her is clouding his brain and he couldn’t think of any way to rectify the situation.

However, if he thought the situation is ty enough now, then he is very wrong. When he called the personal nurse again for the countless time, he almost lost his control and wanted to run back to the hospital and knock some sense into her beautiful head.

“How can you just let her refuse to take the medicine? You should call the doctor or think of something to force her to take it.” Min Ho shouted at the phone and closed his eyes at the same time. What the nurse reported to him is making his pounding head throb even more. “I don’t care. Either you force her to take the medicine or… you just inject the medicine into her tube. I don’t care how you do it. I just want her to be perfectly fine. Do you understand?” After the nurse said that she would try her best, Min Ho cut the line off and threw the phone to the table angrily.

“Wow.”

Min Ho looked up when he heard the familiar voice and let out a long breath upon seeing Kim Hee Sun standing in front of his table.

“Something very serious must have happened to make our calmest Min Ho to shout like that.” Hee Sun said with a teasing smile.

Looking at the bucket of beer in her hands, a weak smile slowly curled up his lips. “I really need that very much now.” He said, pointing at those beers.

“Good. I’m happy to be your life saver.” She put the bucket down on the table as she sat down on the chair in front of him. She took a bottle out, twisting the cap off the beer with a bottle cap opener before handing it over to him. Leaning her back against the chair with both hands crossing over her chest, she stared at Min Ho with a small smirk. “My ears are all yours tonight. Spit it out.”

After taking a big sip of his beer, Min Ho heaved a deep sigh before looking up and meet Hee Sun’s eyes. “Shin Hye is in the hospital because her leg is broken.”

“I know. You told me that two days ago.” Hee Sun said, nodded her head.

Min Ho sighed again before he continued. “As you know, she and my adopted father, who is her biological father… they are not in a good term. Or to be exact, she hates him to the point that… she wanted him to die.”

Hee Sun listened quietly as her head nodded softly. She can imagine how extreme Shin Hye could be. The last time she chatted with her here, she can never forget the hatred in her eyes.

“I don’t know whether I told you this before or not.” Min Ho said. “The time when she agreed to move to my apartment, I promised her that I’ll not let my father appear in front of her without her consent.” He paused and averted his gaze, looking mindlessly at the beer bottle. “Everything was alright all this while. But… because of this accident, I have no choice but to tell my father about it. At that time, I thought her condition was very serious. I can’t hide it from my father.” He looked back at Hee Sun again. “And after her condition is stable, I thought my father will listen to me and won’t act recklessly. I really didn’t know that he would come to the hospital today without telling me first.” 

“You mean… he went to the hospital and… Shin Hye saw him?” Hee Sun asked in a wary voice.

“Not just that.” Another deep sigh escaped his lips again. “They were in the same room, reminding each other about their painful past and she… keep attacking my father with any kind of hurtful word that she could think of.”

“Hmmm…” Hee Sun pursed her lips, looking at him with a sympathy gaze. “That must be very hard for you to be stuck between them.” 

Min Ho took another big sip from the bottle before shaking his head. “I don’t know. I just feel… sad for them. I mean… I don’t mind to be stuck in between. I’m just sad seeing them like that. I can’t deny what my father did in the past was wrong but… I know no matter what, he loves Shin Hye. He is her father. She should at least… give him a chance to… make things right.”

There was a moment of silence between them before Hee Sun slowly leaned forward and looked deep into Min Ho’s eyes. “If you ask me, I don’t agree with you. Maybe in a man’s perspective you think unfaithfulness or betrayal is not something very serious. But for a woman, it means everything.” She smiled sadly. “As a husband, your father betrayed a woman’s love for another woman. That’s unfaithfulness. As a father, he abandoned his family, his daughter for another home. And that’s betrayal. What do you expect Shin Hye to react? Try to understand his unfaithful heart and forgive him?” She paused and shook her head. “It’s not that she doesn’t want to give him a chance. He just doesn’t deserve it.”

Min Ho held her gaze as he exhaled deeply. “Nobody is perfect in this world. Human make mistake. He might not…”

“But…” Hee Sun cut him off. “… there is some mistake in this world that we can’t make. Because once you make it… there is no turning back.”

No turning back?

Min Ho felt his breath stuck in his throat upon hearing the three words. She is right. There is always some mistake that couldn’t be made because once it happened; there will be no turning back.

“I know.” He said in a soft whisper.

“You know?” Hee Sun raised her brows before letting out a chuckle. “Are you sure you really know? Because if you do, you will not be sitting here now.”

He looked up at her, waiting quietly for her to continue.

“You should be in the hospital now, telling her how much you love her and you will not make the same mistake like what your father did.” She said again.

“I…” Min Ho parted his lips, wanted to deny but suddenly find no word could form in his throat. Can he still deny his feeling for her? No, not when he is right in front of Kim Hee Sun.

“Don’t you dare to use Park Bo Young as an excuse to avoid your true feeling. I’ll not believe you.” Hee Sun smirked.

Min Ho let out a long, breathy sigh before he drank the beer and looked at her. After another moment, he finally spoke again. “I think you are right.” He paused and breathed.

“I love her.” He admitted at last.

Hee Sun smiled and nodded. “Yes, you are. I’m happy that you finally…”

“But I can’t.” Min Ho quickly cut her off before she could finish her sentence. “I know I’m horrible and useless… but I can’t just break my words and pretend like it never happen. I made my promise to Bo Young first.” He stared at Hee Sun helplessly. “If I change my heart now and leave Bo Young for Shin Hye… then what’s the difference between my father and me? I’ll make the same mistake like him.” He paused again, shaking his head softly. “I can’t let the same thing repeat again.”

“No.” Hee Sun shook her head too. “You didn’t change your heart.” She disagreed. “Your situation is completely different from your father. You don’t love Bo Young. You are with her because of responsibility, because you want to pay them back for adopting you. You are absolutely different from your father, who left the woman he used to love because he fell in love with another woman.” She looked at him and sighed in frustration. “I don’t understand why both of you have to torture each other when it’s so obvious that you love her and she love you too.”

“She doesn’t love me.” Min Ho smiled weakly.

“She almost kills herself to save you.” Hee Sun shouted and glared at the stubborn man in front of her. “If that is not love then I really don’t know what to say anymore.”

Min Ho pulled his bottom lip between his teeth as he pondered at what she said. Yes, if she doesn’t feel anything for him, she will not risk her own life during the most dangerous moment.

“Don’t waste your time thinking and thinking, you idiot.” Hee Sun scolded him. “Why must you always make your life so stressful? Just follow your heart and go for it. Whatever the consequences is, think about it later.”

Think about it later? Can he really think about it later? He had bought himself one month time from Bo Young. Should he listen to Hee Sun and follow his heart, be reckless and selfish for one time?

“But…” Min Ho heaved a deep sigh. “… even if I go back to the hospital now, she wouldn’t want to see me. You didn’t see how angry she was this morning. And this is not the most important part. What worried me the most is what she said earlier.”

“What did she say?” Hee Sun asked curiously.

“She threatened to leave if she saw my father. I’m sure she is thinking a way now to make me regret and bear the consequences.” He let out another helpless sigh as he closed his eyes and buried his face in his palm. “What should I do now?”

Hee Sun stared at him and let out a sympathy smile. She placed a comfortable hand on his arm, giving him a silent support. “Everything will be alright.”

“No.” Min Ho opened his eyes and looked up at her. “The nurse said she is refusing to take her medicine. She is not even eating when I left the hospital just now. She just had the surgery two days ago. Her body is still very weak and she has to eat and take the antibiotic.”

“Do you think she will listen to you?” Hee Sun asked. Although she is not close to Shin Hye but after few times of meeting her, she knows how stubborn she is. “If you continue to treat her with your ‘soft bunny’ attitude, I can assure you that nothing could be done.”

‘Soft bunny’? Min Ho pursed his lips together, displeased with the description she used on him. “I… I’m just trying to be polite.”

Hee Sun chuckled. “Polite? Do you know what kind of tough woman you are facing now? Polite will not help you to achieve anything. You have to try changing the way you behave around her.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Min Ho asked, narrowing his gaze.

Hee Sun smiled again. “Women are very different from men.”

“Different in what sense?” He asked again.

“When men are angry, women just need to admit their fault, gain their sympathy with tears or… seduce them, everything will be fine. But it’s totally difference when it comes to women. When we are angry, no matter how many times you apologize, how polite and gentle you try to be, we will not give in. The more you relented the more we want to climb up to your head.” Hee Sun explained.

Min Ho creased his brows, looking at her like she was talking some kind of alien language. “I don’t understand. If even apologizing couldn’t work, what else can I do? I can’t just leave her alone and don’t bother her. I’m afraid that she will really disappear like what she said earlier.”

Hee Sun took a bottle out from the bucket and removed the cap before taking a small sip. She put the bottle down on the table and looked at Min Ho with a wide smile. “If using the soft way couldn’t work… then… use the hard way.”

“What?” Min Ho widened his eyes. “What hard way?”

“Conquer her.” She said. “Show the most dominance side of you and conquer her completely. She will start to feel nervous and shock by your sudden changes. You will catch her off guard and that will be the best time to control her stubbornness. When you are stronger than her, she will slowly give in and listen to you.”

 

~~~~~

 

Conquer her…

Min Ho slowly gazed up from her lips to her eyes, unable to pull away. Her huge and beautiful eyes were still clouded with shock, looking at him in confusion. Just like what Hee Sun said, the sudden change in his behaviour has completely caught her off guard. All her arrogance and stubbornness suddenly become useless in front of him.

Taking a deep breath, Min Ho gently pulled away from her, forcing himself to wake up from her dazzling aura. He his lips briefly but regretted it right away the instant he felt the sweetness of her taste that was still lingering on his lips. It gave him a sudden impulse to grab her face and kiss her again.

After a moment to calm himself down, Min Ho finally broke the intense silence by clearing his throat. He looked into her eyes before he spoke. “You have to take the antibiotic three times a day. Don’t say I didn’t give you a choice. You can choose to be an obedient patient, take the medicine whenever the nurse give you, or… you can continue to reject the medicine, let the nurse contact me and wait for me to come.” He paused and smirked inwardly. “I’ll feed you… personally and privately.”

Personally and privately?

Shin Hye’s eyes grew wide as she exhaled a deep, shuddering gasp. Does he mean… if she continues to refuse the medicine, he will also continue to feed her with his… mouth? What is wrong with him? Is he trying to scare her or… this is his real attitude, his true colour? He just pretends that he is well mannered and gentleman. Did he… just pretending all this while? He is making her confused.

“You should probably say something before I make the choice for you.” Min Ho said again when he didn’t get a response from her.

Sinking her teeth into her bottom lip, Shin Hye stared at him, looking dissatisfied. “Y-You… you don’t have any right to command me to do anything. You are not my guardian and I’m not a kid.”

“I don’t have the right?” Min Ho chuckled. “If I remember correctly, when I register your admission, I put my name under the guardian’s column. I’m your brother. I have every right to do anything.”

Shin Hye bit her lip harder and continued to glare at him. This is the first time she felt the strong urge of smacking his face. Annoyance crept into her, boiling her blood. 

When there is still no reply from her, another smile curled onto his lips. “I know you are not happy to see me here. No problem. Since the doctor said you can be discharged in another two days, I’ll not bother you… for now.” He purposely emphasized the last two words. “As long as you listen to the doctor and nurse, take the medicine obediently, I’ll not show up in front of you in these two days. I’ll come to get you on the day you discharged.”

“No need.” Shin Hye snapped. “I’ll discharge myself. I don’t want to see you. So please do me a favour. Don’t show your face on that day.” She said through gritted teeth.

Min Ho smirked. “I think I’ll have to disappoint you.” He paused as he leaned forward, bringing himself closer to her again. “You will definitely see me on that day.”

“Don’t underestimate me.” Shin Hye chuckled, trying to hide her nervousness. “If I want to run away from someone, I always have a way.

“You can try me.” He said again, his deep voice laced with threat. Min Ho was trying to hide his anxiousness too and sound unaffected. There are so many eyes and ears in the hospital. He doesn’t believe she could run away without anyone alerting him.

“Stop dreaming. I’m not going back to your apartment with you!” Shin Hye shouted at him, her voice etched with irritation. 

“Miss Han!” Min Ho didn’t say anything to argue but shouted for the personal nurse instead.

Shin Hye almost jumped up with his sudden loud voice. She then looked at the door and saw the nurse, who took care of her since yesterday, came in and rushed to them.

“Yes, sajang-nim?”

“She had just taken her medicine a while ago. Make sure she take the medicine every six hours.” Min Ho instructed the nurse without looking at her. His eyes were still firmly daggered at Shin Hye.

“Yes, sajang-nim.” The nurse nodded.

“She doesn’t like the food in the hospital. Someone will send lunch and dinner for her later. Make sure she emptied everything.” He continued.

“Yes, sajang-nim.”

Shin Hye bit her lip again and glared angrily at him. “Yah, Lee Min…”

“Call me immediately if she refuse to cooperate.” He cut her off, his eyes still looking at her. “I just found a very effective way to make her take her medicine obediently.” He said and smirked at her meaningfully.

Effective way? Using his mouth? 

Shin Hye’s teeth sank deeper into her bottom lip as her eyes were completely reddened with anger. She wanted to shout at him but nothing could come out from . Today’s Lee Min Ho is very… different. He is unusually domineering and… frustrating. 

“Yes, sajang-nim.”

There was a long moment of silence before Min Ho let out a small smile and slowly stood up from the bed. Taking one last lingering look at her, he forced himself to break their eye contact and turned around, walking towards the door.

“Lee Min Ho!”

Min Ho stopped moving upon hearing Shin Hye screamed his name.

“I repeat again. I’m not going back with you. I’ll move out.” She shouted.

Taking a deep breath, he spoke again. “Miss Han.”

“Yes?” The nurse turned to him.

“Except for the doctor’s instruction, without my permission… don’t let her leave this room.” Min Ho said in a firm tone.

“Y-Yes, sajang-nim.” The nurse shifted her gaze from Min Ho to Shin Hye. Letting out a silent sigh, she started to regret for accepting this job. Although the pay is high but Park Shin Hye is not someone who will easily listen to what people say. Her temper is unbelievable bad.

Without saying anything anymore, Min Ho opened the door and exited the room, ignoring Shin Hye, who was still shouting in the room.

“Yah! Lee Min Ho! Lee Min Ho!” Shin Hye continued to bite her lip before she took the pillow behind her and threw it to the floor.

The nurse let out a long breath as she leaned down and picked the pillow up. She slowly walked to the bed and put the pillow back on the bed, looking at Shin Hye with a cautious gaze.

“P-Park Shin Hye-sshi, I think… you should take a rest.”

“Get out!” Shin Hye glared at her and almost immediately the nurse took a step backward and nodded.

“O-Okay. I’ll be right outside the room. C-Call me if you need anything.” The nurse said in a shaky voice, totally frightened by her. When she didn’t get any reply from Shin Hye, she quickly turned around and left the room.

After the nurse was gone, Shin Hye closed her eyes briefly and heaved a deep sigh. She slowly opened her eyes again and stared blankly at the front. Why did she get herself into this situation? It was her fault. She shouldn’t have come back to Seoul in the first place. She shouldn’t have move into his apartment. She shouldn’t have think of using him to avenge his family. And most important of all, she shouldn’t have save him and… and feel something for him.

She gives up. She doesn’t want any revenge anymore. Whatever happened in the past, it’s not important anymore. She just wants to leave… leave this place, leave this man before another sad tragedy happen again. She doesn’t want to end up like her mother. She doesn’t want to… love him.

Carefully moving her body nearer to the side cabinet, she opened the drawer and took her phone out. She looked at the phone for a long moment before she finally made a call.

“Shin Hye?”

“I… I know you are busy and I shouldn’t disturb you at this hour.” She said very softly.

“It’s okay. I heard about the accident. I’m coming back tomorrow.”

Biting her bottom lip hard, she slowly let her voice escaped again. “I need your help.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------

 

Two days later…

 

“Sajang-nim, the doctor just informed us that Park Shin Hye-sshi could be discharged today. He already signed the discharge paper. But… five minutes after the doctor left, a man came and he is now helping her to pack her belongings. I heard Park Shin Hye-sshi call him… Jun Won oppa.”

 

“Are you sure it’s really Jun Won? I thought he is still in Japan.” Hee Sun stepped out from the elevator with Min Ho, trying to keep up with his fast pace.

“I called his office just now. His staff said he cancelled some of his schedules in Japan and came back last night.” Min Ho said, his voice laced with frustration. “I’m sure Shin Hye call him and ask for his help.”

Hee Sun let out a deep sigh. “That is just your guesses. Maybe… he is just here to visit Shin Hye.”

“The nurse said they are packing and is ready to leave.” Min Ho said as he quickened his speed. “I shouldn’t have threaten her earlier. I should understand her headstrong attitude more than anybody. The more I force her, the more she wanted to fight back.”

He can’t let Jun Won bring her away. He knows he is very selfish but he doesn’t want to lose her… yet. At least, there is still a month… a month for them to spend time together, a month for them to create beautiful memories together, a month for them to understand each other more… before… the annual ball… before… he make the final decision.

“Why are you bringing me along?” Hee Sun asked. “Don’t expect me to convince her for you. She is the most difficult woman I’ve seen in m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter