You smile, I smile :)

The last time ever

After the tragic encounter with her father, she could not stop being curious of her family.She tried to go to her family's house but was stopped by a guard saying that she could never leave the building and should just stay in her room for her safety.Afterall, she's the last weapon.She kept on imagining her parents,her life with them and she felt full by just that.Of course, her smile never showed up.Until one day, she saw on the news that not a single rebellion lived after the mass murder.The government sent an army to their houses and killed every last remaining person that inherited the rebellions' blood.But, they forgot another rebel that they hid in their cage.

One day in her boring life, for the second time, Soo Man called her.Her brows furrowed seeing his name staring at her from the phone's screen. Hesitatingly, she answered the call only to be greeted with a stern "See me." from him.That's how he usually is anyway.So obsessed with the whole frowning thing.

She pushed the door to his room open and closed it behind.Well, her president appreciates privacy, a lot.He looked up at her and stopped doing his works.

"So, I have a plan." He started as Jinri tried to not show her shaking knees. "You know about our problem?" He asked then in which Jinri replied with a quick nod.

"Terminate this problem, and you will be released.You don't have to stay in this building anymore." He said and the offer was too tempting for Jinri.Not that she had a problem killing a person.It was just, she wasn't used to it.And she knew that if she failed, she'll be punished.So, she was afraid and had a thought of retreating.

"Why don't you just kill him?Like, right now?" She voiced out her opinion as she was sure that she wasn't greatly needed for this terminating thing.

"I didn't take you in for nothing.You have to do something to repay me." He raised his voice a little. "But dear, take your time.I won't pressure you.You're all on your own for this mission.The only thing that I'll hear from you is when you kill him." 

Jinri nodded again and was about to leave the room when he added his last words to her "And you have 2 days." 

 

Jinri breathed out a sigh of relief once she was out of the building.The air was fresh for her but still, full of scowls.She looked around as she shuffled together with other people on the streets.So this is the normal life, she thought to herself.She had planned to visit her childhood as she wasn't put under surveillance.A chance like that was hard to come and she just had to grab it.

The business was reduced as she moved further from the city to a remote area that was abandoned.Sadness filled her as she stared at the place.In front of her were houses built in an irregular pattern.They were small and, empty.The houses used to be occupied by rebellions that fought alongside her father,but that's an old story.They're all dead, just like her smile.

With a few more careful steps, she finally stopped in front of a house.The house was different from the other simply because, she used to live there.Though she couldn't remember it well.She entered the house and gazed longingly at the interior that hasn't changed.Even if her memories of the past was blurry, but the feelings that she had when she was little could never be erased.

She was in her old bedroom, checking her teddy bear that was sitting on her dusty bed, staring at nothing when she heard a faint squeal coming from the forest at the back of her house.She tried to listen to it again and jolted a little when the squeal repeated.To feed her curiosity, she decided to check it out.Even if it wasn't safe in the forest and the fact that she won't get any help until she has terminated the problem, she walked out of her house and entered the forest.

Only using the sound as her guidance, she ventured deeper into the forest.The squeal wasn't a sound that she hears every day, it made her more determined to find out about it.Terminating the problem could wait as she thought she could complete the mission in two days.How wrongly has she thought.The squeal still hadn't stopped.Instead, it got more excited.As if something was encouraging it.

Halting in front of the river, she stared weirdly at the sight in front of her. On the tree, across the river, a kitten with its hairs standing and eyes widened, looking everywhere as it squealed to express its fright.Then, her eyes rested at the guy who was trying his best to reach the kitten, his arms flailing hopelessly.The tree branch was too high for him.Want it ot not, he had to climb the tree.

Jinri decided to not make haste action and just observed the scene in front of her.From her observations, she figured that the guy might not have enough energy to climb up the tree as he was too thin.His clothes hung loosely around him and his dark, messy hair made him looked like he had lost his mind.

"Come on!You do know that you're a cat right?You shouldn't be afraid of heights!" He angrily stomped at the ground, whining at the cowardly kitten.Realizing that the cat would never get down if she just stood there and did nothing, she carefully crossed the river.Swiftly jumping from a rock to another, she reached the other side in just seconds.

"Let me help you." She said earning a jolt from the guy who was slightly taller than her.But it seemed to her that his height helped him with nothing.She proceeded o climb the tree, again, swiftly and put the kitten carefully in her palms.She then climbed down with the kitten clung for its dear life to her shirt.When she reached the ground, the guy immediately took the kitten from her and secured it in his skinny arms.The squeal finally stopped.She didn't notice it at first as she was busy checking out the tear at her shirt but immediately shifted her whole attention to him when she heard him chuckling.

This is the source of the smile.The main problem that she had to terminate.

She could kill him at that instant if she wanted to as he was fragile and had no protection.Except for an extremely scared kitten, if you call that protection.And his thin body.She had forgotten of her mission to kill him.For his smile had rendered her motionless, awestruck by that beautiful painting on his face. A smile.It reminded her of her father during his last moments.

Jinri woke up from her short trance and looked at the guy waving his hand in front of her.Unknowingly, a blush crept up her face as she realized that he knew she couldn't stop staring at him.With a lost 'huh?' she got him chuckling again.She was sure that it was chaos in the main office.But they didn't know of this little meeting, she thought.

"Thank you." He spoke again as he counted some moves in his head.He wasn't really used to society so, meeting new people is an awkward experience for him.Every time.He never got used to it actually. " I'm Taemin." He uttered after a few seconds and extended his other free hand for a handshake.

"Jinri." She told him her name and shook hands with him. "No need to be formal.We're not meeting for a business." She had added after the handshake.Taemin smiled sheepishly at her honest comment.

 

 

"You smile a lot." She stated as a matter of fact.

"Yeah.I know it's wrong but I just can't help it." Taemin answered while the kitten that has now fallen asleep on his lap.They had settled to sit at the riverbank, dipping their feet in the cold water.They got friendly in just a short while because 1) Jinri longed to have a friend and 2)Jinri was being friendly with Taemin.

"You never thought of smiling?" He asked , their eyes never leaving the clear water.Jinri shook her head.

"I've forgotten how to." She mumbled but still, Taemin could hear it as their distance from one another was only a few inches.After Jinri's reply, they had sat silently thinking of something unknown to each other.Jinri opted to do her mission later as she was given two days to complete it.There was a day left.She still wanted to enjoy the company of a friend.

 

 

Night fell and Jinri knew that she had to find a shelter because the night, like the whole society, is cold.Taemin, on the other hand was calm and started walking deeper into the forest.Realizing that Taemin was her only hope to survive in the forest, she quickly tailed behind him.

"You know this place like the back of your hand?" She guessed.That wasn't really a question.It was more to a statement.She heard Taemin chuckling lowly in front of her and frowned more.

'What's with the cool attitude?' She questioned mentally as she looked around her, hoping to catch any danger before the danger caught them.They finally arrived at a small hut with no walls.There was only the floor that was made from used and torn carpets.And a roof.Well, it won't be so useful in preventing them from being soaked if the clouds decided to pour its contents.But at least, they have a place that they can call a shelter.

"You live here?Isn't it dangerous?" She asked again as she copied his actions by sitting in the hut cross-legged.Her eyes never stopped darting around to prevent something unwanted from happening.

"Relax,I've been here for three days.Nothing ever happened to me.Not even a scratch.Except for mosquito bites.But don't be afraid, the mosquitoes are nice once you get to know them." He smiled reassuringly.She wasn't enough persuaded though.Maybe he is a madman.

"Well, did you get to know them already?" She asked to confirm her suspection.If he answered yes then she would kill him, right at that spot, in his safest place.

"I don't think I ever will.Perhaps I'll die because I lost too much blood to the mosquitoes.They don't have any mercy." He murmured and smiled again at Jinri.And every time, he flashed his smile, she would be fascinated by it.

"Teach me how to smile." She blurted out after a few moments of silence.It wasn't expected nor planned but the words slip out of her lips smoothly.He stared at her and a soft smile formed on his beautiful face.

"I don't have to.You're already smiling." He told her and it got her conscience rose to the highest level. " And it's sweet too." He flattered then immediately lied on his right side, facing away from her, leaving her with no chance to say anything about it.