Final

The last time ever

Jinri woke up the next day and panicked when Taemin was not beside her.She looked around urgently, like a mother searching for her lost kid.Still, there were no signs of him.

"I knew this would happen!" Jinri gritted her teeth.Tears started b in her eyes and she could only think of regrets.What a fool she was, she thought.She shouldn't have slept when she knew that Taemin was in great danger.She was too drowned in her sadness that she couldn't even hear the movement behind her.

"BAH!" Taemin shouted so close to her ear.Jinri jolted in surprise and turned to look at the grinning Taemin.

Taemin thought it was fun but decided not to think so when he saw Jinri's red eyes and wet tears still rolling down her cheek.Was I that scary? He asked himself in an inaudible voice.The moment Jinri realized that it was really Taemin, she threw her arms to his body and clung tightly to it.Not knowing what to do, Taemin just hugged her back.It was his fault anyway, for scaring her.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to be that scary.Did I really look like a ghost?" Taemin asked and that made Jinri furrow her eyebrows in confusion.This guy really think that I'm scared of him?Like seriously?

"Yeah, it was so scary.I really thought that you were a ghost.Do you know how I'm so afraid of ghosts?Don't ever do that again!" She said  and ordered with a strict voice.Like she was being serious.And Taemin bought it.He nodded his head like a soldier would do when being instructed by the commander.Jinri found it to be funny and laughed.

She laughed.

Taemin hadn't heard many laughs before.But when he heard Jinri's laugh, he felt like he had known it since forever.It didn't sound weird against his ears and Jinri didn't find it awkward too to be laughing after so many years.He just smiled and continued staring at her dreamily while she talked about what scared her, half-true, half made up.They forgot breakfast that day, and Jinri also forgot about the danger that was awaiting Taemin.

 

Days passed and it had been a week since Jinri neglected her duty.Taemin and Jinri became closer and shared so many things with each other that they never had the chance to talk about it before.People were so cold and serious, all because of that stupid 'not smiling' thing.Living in a deserted place, they created their own rule which is : there is no rule.No one was there to scold them for playing around all day.

Jinri learnt that Taemin is a son of one of the rebellions that died.He survived as he was at the city during the attack.His mother sent him to buy some supplies.He thought it was weird since he could just go to the supplier at the rebellions village, but he just followed the order.And when he came back, there was nothing else that he could do other than to cry his heart out.And he knew Jinri's father.

"He was a great man." He had said when Jinri asked him about her father.And that was the only confirmation that Jinri needed.

While Jinri knew everything about Taemin, Taemin still knew nothing of Jinri.Except that she stayed in her house all day and only knew about the outside world from the news.Taemin didn't want to ask further as he was sure that nothing will stay the same once he knew.

Jinri assumed that they had forgotten about her already.They are already so deep in the forest and they were not affecting others.They were not rebelling.They were just living their own secret live, in a deserted place.Nothing should be wrong with that.

 

That evening, Taemin was catching some fishes for their dinner while Jinri offered herself to go find some firewoods.It wasn't hard to search for firewoods, she just had to go to a place away from Taemin since by fate, that was where all the firewoods are.

She was humming to the song that Taemin always sang to her but then immediately stopped when she heard some rustling behind her.Praying that it wasn't some hungry tiger, she slowly turned her head back to see her opponent.And her heart stopped when she saw that it was Jung Yunho, the agent that was involved in the mass murder a.k.a her 'saviour'.He was the one that shot her father and had apologized repeatedly after Jinri told him the fact in between her sobs.

"What you're doing here?" She shakily asked even if she herself could answer it.

"You passed the 2 days given.That can't be ignored." He softly answered.

"I can't do it, Yunho.Why don't you just leave us alone?!" She raised her voice but Yunho remained calm.He inserted his hand into his right pocket and took out a small bottle of clear liquid.He then handed it to Jinri.

"A poison?" She gave him a look of disbelief.

"There's no other way.I know it's hard for you but you have to do it.You know that they will do worse if you don't kill him first.He will suffer a lot more." Yunho reasoned.Jinri had forgotten that.Slowly,her vision got blurred as she felt the tears rolling down her cheeks.She didn't know what to decide.

"Don't cry.I hate seeing you cry." He persuaded and her back.Jinri looked up to meet his eyes, intending to say that she was grateful that she has a friend like him.But her word never found its way to the surface as she saw his lips that was curved into a smile.She felt relieved knowing that at least, she wasn't the only one that thought a smile is wonderful.

A loud shot sounded in the air and Jinri watched in terror as Yunho fell down, lifeless in front of her.A person approached her and her rage increased as she heard the steps drawing closer.

"How could you?" Jinri asked behind her gritted teeth.

"I did what should be done.You didn't." He said, not even a hint of sadness in his voice.

"He's your brother, Changmin." Silence.Like it meant nothing for him.

"Why don't you just kill the guy too?And then shoot me dead! I don't wanna live anymore!!" Jinri had lost it.She shouted like crazy but Changmin didn't even flinch.How cold has he turned to be.He wasn't like his compassionate brother at all.

"I don't intend on doing your job for you." Changmin replied.He walked towards his lifeless brother and picked him up effortlessly.Jinri just stood rooted at her place as she watch Changmin walking away from her with the dead Yunho on his back.

Her knees felt wobbly and she felt weak.How come everything that she wanted must be taken away from her?Why is life this cruel to her?She wept again and again while burying her face in the dried leaves on the ground.But she knew, if she didn't do it, worse will happen.She didn't cry because she was confused.She cried because she was determined.

By the time she got back to their place, she was almost normal again.Taemin eyed her, wondering what took her so long.

"Don't give me that look.I fell asleep." Jinri made an excuse.

"Is that why your eyes are puffed?" He pointed to her eyes.She looked away so that it wouldn't occur to him that she was crying and just nodded.

"I managed to find 2 cups earlier.It's broken already but still can be used." Jinri said changing the subject.

"We don't need it.We can drink straight from the river." He said. "But, it will be a waste if we don't use it." And even though Taemin did something that would make a girl's heart flutter, Jinri felt dejected to know that she was a step closer to ending his life.

 

That night, they lied on their backs, gazing the sky above them.Jinri was bathing in her guilty feelings while Taemin, he was just admiring how Jinri's face glistened under the moonlight.His eyes were looking straight ahead but his attention was on Jinri.It has always been like that, and Jinri was never aware of it.

"Can you see the constellations?" Taemin asked interrupting the comforting silence.

"No.Never cared about it.Can you?" Jinri returned the question back to him.He smiled.

"I can't.But I swear I can see your face up there."

"Really?" Jinri was getting excited.She knew nothing of pickup lines.

"Since you're that oblivious.I'll just tell you." Taemin took a deep breathe before continuing. "I love you."

Jinri was speechless hearing that.She kept on blinking her eyes, not even looking at him.Clearly confused.

"What is love?" She questioned.Well, it wasn't her fault that she didn't know the meaning of love.She wanted to say the same to him, but she wanted it to be meaningful.

"Love is, when I knew you put something in my drink, but I still drink it anyway."

Hearing this, Jinri supported her body with her left elbow and stared at Taemin, her eyes widened in surprise.He knew?

"What?It tasted sweet." He claimed and chuckled the tension away.He wouldn't want the beautiful night to be ruined by some unwanted truth.Jinri lied back and closed her eyes, calming her racing heart.

"It may sound ridiculous but trust me Taemin, I love you too." She muttered.Taemin turned to look at her and his attention was immediately drawn to her lips.He couldn't help it.Somehow, the lips seemed like it was calling him to come closer...

...and Jinri shot her eyes open when Taemin crushed his lips with her.It took her a moment to realize that Taemin was kissing her but then she kissed him back.She didn't care if she accidentally swallowed some of the poison that he drank earlier,it might be better if she died with him.They kissed urgently and passionately at the same time, both knowing that it will be their last night together.They didn't want to let go of each other but Taemin had to broke the kiss when he felt his throat narrowing.

He leaned back and started coughing.The poison has kicked in already, Jinri thought.Her hands trembled as she his back, hoping to relieve the pain.After a while he stopped ,then lied his back on the ground.Jinri could see his face turning paler and she became more frightened.Taemin matched his gaze with her and she could see the fright in his eyes too.Knowing that she made him like this, she cried.Taemin could say nothing and just hugged her close.They rested like that, in each other's arms, both scared.

"Jinri, I'm really tired right now.I'll sleep first." He murmured, and it sounded hoarse.His voice sounded terrible and that only made Jinri hug him tighter.

"Taemin,please don't leave me." Jinri quivered.Although the irony is, it was her who poisoned him.She kept on holding him, believing that that way, he wouldn't leave her.

She started to become anxious when she realized that she could no more hear his heartbeat.She stood up straight and inspected him.His eyes closed, no more steady rise of his chest, and his grip on her hand had loosened.

"You left me?" She scoffed and stared at him in utter disbelief. After receiving no replies, except of the cold wind that blew around them, she wept silently.There was nothing that she could do anymore.

 

Early at dawn, she was already on her way back after placing Taemin's body somewhere safe.She put him in an abandoned boat, and floated it into the lake.Jinri passed the tree where they first met and she could feel her tears forming but she quickly wiped it away.Her condition was just the same as the day she first walked out of the building, except that she got more remorse this time.Her hands kept on guarding her backpack, as if there was some diamond in there.

She entered the building again and was greeted by no one.It returned to be calm again in there.She ambled through the busy people and walked straight into her sanctuary : her room.Once she was in it, she put her bag on the bed and went to lock the door.

As the bag was carefully ped, a kitten's head peered out and looked around puzzled.Of course this locked up environment would be strange to it as it used to be free.When she passed through the tree, she found the kitten underneath the tree, as if waiting for Taemin to come and play with it.So, she picked it up instead, knowing that Taemin would do the same if he was with her at that time.

"Hello kitty~" She chimed softly and its back.A soft smile found its way to her lips.And seconds later, the siren wailed.