[七]

Jag-eun [Under Maintenance]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

And when I was done falling I was on the pavement with lots and lots of people staring at me and they were screaming and shouting things like “Oh my lord!” and “Is he okay?!” and “Somebody call an ambulance!”

There is red all over the pavement and I feel dizzy and my legs hurt and my arms hurt and there is lots of people touching me and I want to curl up and cry. But if I did then the funny people in yellow suits would come and get me like they did when I fell on my head from the fence. So I didn’t curl up and cry and I got up and people shouted and screamed at me.

For some reason it really hurts on my leg when I stand up and I look down and my ankle twisted inwards and it has red everywhere. But I have to run from all of these people so I put weight on the foot and it makes a crunching sound like when I munch my cereal and I screamed because it hurts but I kept on running and running and everybody screamed and some people tried to catch after me but I ran and ran and ran and there were nobody chasing me anymore.

My head felt dizzy and when I touch my hair there was red all over it but I carried on running. There are lots of people staring at me with their mouth open like an ‘O’ and I don’t like people staring at me so I half-closed my eyes and ran over to the park with the swings.

It was the park I visited with Chanyeol before. It was the one where he pushed me in the swings. I sat on the swing and held on to the chains but then somebody in a green jacket came over to me.

“Hey—your head’s bleeding man, it looks bad. Are you oka--?”

I screamed at him and he jumped and said “Whoah!” and looked at me and ran away.

And then I remembered that I have to look for Chanyeol now but I don’t know where he is. So I looked around the park and looked under the benches and behind the tree and in-between the fences but Chanyeol wasn’t there. Then I looked again for four times and then sat on the swing for thirty minutes and then I heard sirens and screaming and I got scared and I hid behind the tree and my head hurts so I curled up on the grass and cried.

I really miss Chanyeol and I want my crayons and my sketchpad but I don’t want to go back to the Institute because I don’t like it there and it was getting dark and I was starting to feel lonely and there was red stuff falling over my eyes and I wiped them away. And then I feel something come up my spine and strike my head and it hurts so I clawed on the ground and groaned and cried until the pain stops and I can stand up again.

Maybe Chanyeol would be home at this time? I know that the time is 7:05pm and Chanyeol’s shift is usually over at 8:00pm but Chanyeol might go home early because he was sick. And I know where Chanyeol lives because he showed me his house before and I have to be quick because my vision was getting blurry and I feel sick and my head really really hurts. So I ran even if my ankles hurt a lot and people are screaming again and pointing at me but I ran and I ran as fast as I could and my ankles went all twisty wobbly and I fell but I picked myself up again and carried on running.

And then I went further along the neighbourhood and turned left towards the avenue and I see Chanyeol’s house. I climbed the fence but I fell and I felt my ankle crack again and I howled but I clapped my mouth shut because I don’t want to attract any more attention. And I couldn’t figure out how to open the door and I tried to kick it with my ankle but I stubbed my toe and I curled up on the front porch and cried because I want Chanyeol to help me even though he left me and I hate him a lot.

And then there was someone near the fence but it wasn’t Chanyeol. They were talking on the phone in a weird voice and this was the thing that I can hear:

“Hey, Mr. Park? It’s me—uhh, your neighbour. Yeah, there’s… there’s a boy in light-green clothing in front of your house? He’s trying to open the door and he kicked it, and he fell—he has a nasty wound on his head and his leg doesn’t look at all right. Do you know him? He looked rather disoriented… Y-Yeah, u-huh… I think he has brown hair, but I can’t really tell… He’s really thin, he’s curled up in front of your door now, I think he’s crying. Should I call an ambulance? …Why not? Christ, he’s bleeding… Right then, I’ll keep watch of him until you get here. Right, goodbye.”

Then there was clicking of heels and then he goes away. Then I got up and tapped the window to see if Chanyeol was home but the lights weren’t on. So I punched the window to see if it would break but it didn’t so I tried running and jumping and I smashed through the window and I went in and I fell and my head hit the edge of the table and I screamed but no sound came out.

By now my head was starting to really hurt and my ankle was facing round the other way and the leg was all twisty and there were glass pieces digging into my arm and my vision was getting blurry and I felt sick. My stomach started to hurt and I vomited all over the floor on the glass shards. Then I curled up under the table and groaned because it really really hurts and I lied there for one hour and three minutes and fourty-seven second but then I heard voices and it sounded like this:

“Baekhyun? Baekhyun—are you there? Oh god, no… Baek! Baekhyun! Oh god, please be there, please be there…”

And the voice sounded like Chanyeol and it was bubbly and wavering as if he had been crying. But I didn’t want to see him and there

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter