Innocent

In the Dark of Night

A week later, Ji Yong crept quietly into Young Bae’s bedroom. His friend lay sleeping on his back. Ji Yong took off his shirt and scooted under the covers.

“Hmm?” Young Bae hummed, not opening his eyes as a body slid up against his. “Ji Yong-ah?”

“Yeah,” he whispered back, draping an arm and leg over his strong body.

“Okay?”

“I’m good,” he mumbled, already falling asleep.

*********

Gil Jin Ah smiled to herself as she entered the passcode to Young Bae’s house. After weeks of begging, his manager had finally given in, agreeing that it was a surprise any man would be pleased with.

“Door open,” the system announced.

She gritted her teeth, hoping he was sleeping soundly enough not to hear it. She tiptoed to his bedroom door, sprayed on her favorite perfume, removed her coat and dress, and took a deep breath for courage.

Opening the door, it took her eyes a minute to adjust to the darkness. She laid her clothes on a chair and stepped lightly towards the bed. It was then that she realized he wasn’t alone. A second head was just visible above the covers.

Trembling, she reached out a hand to uncover the woman’s face. Was it someone she knew? Did she really want to know? Her hand hesitated, hovering above the blanket. What was she going to do? What if they woke? Maybe she should just leave. No, she had to at least see who she was. She had to know who he let stay the night with him, after all the times he’d made her leave, saying he had to avoid scandals.

She lifted the cover, revealing Ji Yong’s face. Her breath shook with relief. Young Bae wouldn’t cheat on her; he was just letting his teammate sleep over. But then, the cold air hit his face and he grumbled, snuggling closer, tucking his nose into her boyfriend’s neck.

Young Bae made a soft noise and rolled towards Ji Yong, pulling him closer and petting his hair. For several minutes, Jin Ah stood there, watching them. Maybe it was that neither of them wore a shirt, maybe it was the way they clung to each other, but she began to doubt their relationship. Many times before, she had found their actions or words questionable. But, being suspicious of her boyfriend’s male best friend made her feel ridiculous and pathetic. Frequently, they would touch or hold hands. But as idols, that was to be expected, even when the cameras were off, she supposed. She had even heard the others mention them all sharing beds at one time or another; but again, they were all men, no big deal. But seeing them together like that… And perhaps because Young Bae never held her like that, tenderly her back or hair, jealousy surged through her.

Unsure of herself and what she should do, Jin Ah rushed silently to her clothes, grabbed them and left the room.

“Door open.”

Young Bae opened his eyes. How had Gil Jin Ah gotten into his house? He knew it was her; her perfume still lingered in the air.

Ji Yong mumbled and squeezed him. Determined to punish his manager in the morning, Young Bae the other man’s back and fell easily to sleep.