(I)

Stay Here

Linda is walking around the corridors at the hospital. She stops by every ward to check on the patients. As she is about to enter the last ward before the corner, her phone rings and she steps away. It is a call from Raymond. 

 

"Hello? Fung? Is anything the matter?" she picks up and leans on the wall, looking out of the window. 

 

"I have something urgent to tell you, are you free for dinner tonight?" Raymond's voice is normal, Linda does not feel the urgency, yet his words have made her worry. 

 

"What's so urgent?" her smile turns into a frown. "I'll be off at around nine though, I will be having a major operation," Linda pouts. "Wish me good luck!"

 

"Alright, I'll wish you good luck," Raymond laughs as he replies. "Nine is alright, I'll pick you up after work."

 

"I'll talk to you later, I'm on call now," Linda immediately says as she feels the pager vibrating in her pocket, before it begins to ring. 

 

"Okay, see you later!" Raymond says.

 

"Bye bye," Linda ends their conversation. 

 

"Bye bye," Linda hangs up soon after his words, but he seems to be sighing. The thought lingers on her mind, but she shakes it away knowing that she has an important operation to take part in and must not let this affect the surgery. 

 

 

 

Linda arrives at the car park of the hospital, an hour later than planned. She anxiously looks at her watch, guilty for having made Raymond wait for an hour. The surgery took longer than expected, but luckily the patient was safe.

 

She is about to open the door of his car when she realises he is asleep. She slowly and carefully opens it so as to not make any noise, and slips into the car silently. She smiles as she gazes at his face, observing him before he awakes. 

 

He wakes up soon after, shocked to see Linda already in his car. "Why are you staring at me like that? How long have you been in my car?" Linda laughs at Raymond's surprised expressions. 

 

"Stop laughing," Raymond says as he starts the engine, "having someone staring at you while you're sleeping is creepy," he continues as Linda laughs and pouts, "especially while smiling so widely. I would've suspected you're in love with me," he jokes. 

 

"Who's in love with you!" Linda's face grows red as she slaps him hard on arm, not sparing any strength. She does not realise that it is difficult to face him, and starts to turn away. 

 

"Are you a woman or not? Your beating was so hard!" Raymond pokes fun at her even more. 

 

"Stop it, or tonight you'll be having dinner alone," Linda furrows her eyebrows and glares at Raymond. 

 

"Even if you won't eat with me, I'll eat with my sister," Raymond looks ahead at the road, "you'll be the one eating alone."

 

"Lam Fung, I hate you!" Linda turns and hurls a whole row of smacks at the man. 

 

"Stop hitting me, I have to drive!" Raymond is laughing despite the pain from Linda's powerful smacks. 

 

"What do you have that is so urgent to say?" Linda switches the topic. "Are you going to confess to me?" Linda turns to Raymond and giggles; it is her turn with the jokes. 

 

"If someone has to confess to you, it'll be that beggar on that street, not me!" Raymond does not stand to lose. He chuckles as Linda gasps loudly and hurls more slaps at him. 

 

"Stop hitting me or you won't have your personal chauffeur to drive you home or for dinner after work anymore," Raymond manages to concentrate on his driving while continuing the conversation. 

 

"What is it that you have to tell me?" Linda does not stray away from her question. 

 

"I'll tell you later when we're eating," Raymond sounds serious for the first time in the whole car ride. Linda decides not to pursue any further until later. 

 

 

 

"Now we're eating, you're already halfway through your course, are you going to tell me or not?" Linda puts down her utensils and looks at Raymond with anticipating eyes. 

 

"Are you annoyed or what?" Raymond follows suit. 

 

"Maybe I am," Linda sighs. Raymond releases a soft laughter, causing Linda to do so as well. 

 

"I'll be leaving for Japan," he decides to spill the beans, "like finally."

 

Linda stops all her movements for a few seconds, before coming to her senses. 

 

"You've decided that last year, haven't you?" Linda says after a moment of silence that was used to recover from her shock. 

 

Raymond nodded. "I thought I shouldn't delay it even further."

 

"Will Rachel leave with you?" Linda awkwardly asks, not lifting her head to face Raymond. She is back to her food. 

 

"Yeah she is," Raymond says while nodding, "why, are you sad about losing such a good sister like her?"

 

"Yeah! I've been the only child in the family for so long, after knowing Rachel I feel like I have a younger sister I can take care of," the awkward feelings are gone, and Linda can face him while they are talking about his sister.

 

"You've said that many times, every time we bring up your relationship with my sister," Raymond chuckles.

 

"She was my first patient, who happened to become my patient forever," Linda laughs, but sighs. "I wish I could be able to not be her doctor forever, I wish she could be cured so she can just be my friend and not my patient."

 

She sighs once more, "I'll miss her."

 

"She'll miss you too," Raymond goes on, "she'll miss having this pretty doctor attend to her when her symptoms come and she'll rather have you than me," he says and frowns, before the two of them laugh together. 

 

"Medicinal technology is so advanced now and will continue to advance, let's hope a cure can be found," Linda smiles. 

 

Raymond nods and smiles while they are back to having their meal. 

 

"Let's have a drink to wish you and Ah-Yi all the best in Japan!" Linda holds her glass up, and Raymond does the same after. 

 

"Cheers," they say together as their glasses knock against each other. 

 

 

 

Linda walks out of her home to watch the sea at Causeway Bay for her thoughts were beginning to swallow her. Ever since the meal with Raymond, she has been feeling uneasy. She doesn't know what is wrong with herself. She knows that Raymond will leave for Japan sooner or later because the decision has been made for a year already, yet to hear the news she is almost devastated. Her mind is in a mess; she doesnt know what she is feeling. 

 

She seats herself on a bench to collect her thoughts. She somehow recalls all her experiences with Raymond, and begins to think about them one by one. 

 

They met when she was just a rookie doctor on probation. Rachel was just her first patient. So when she made her frequent visits to her, she frequently met Raymond. That was how they started off. It was almost four years already. 

 

As time passed by, Rachel came to be more attached to Linda. As a result, Linda and Rachel became more than just a patient and a doctor; they became good friends even after Rachel could be discharged, and were almost as close as sisters. Because of this, she grew closer to Raymond, and the three of them soon started to act like a family. They all grew close to each other, and she began to take Rachel for her own sister. 

 

She is very close with Raymond as well. But has she been treating him as a brother, or something more?

 

Linda sits alone in confusion. If there is nothing more, why is she feeling so upset to hear about him leaving? During these four years, have Linda been slowly falling in love with Raymond? 

 

 

 

"Ze-ze, you're here!" Rachel runs out of her bedroom to the living room hearing Linda's voice. 

 

"Yi, don't run," Raymond frowns at his sister. "You're almost nineteen, you know your symptoms very well," he continues to nag. 

 

"Look at this guy! He's a man, but he nags at me as if he's my grandmother," Rachel pulls onto Linda's arm. Linda laughs at the teen's antics. 

 

"It's for your own good," Raymond glares at Rachel. 

 

Rachel merely releases giggles and says, "it's just a few meters, I'll be okay," she smiles and drags Linda over to the couch. 

 

"Gor, go get some drinks for Ze-ze and us, don't stand there like a statue," Rachel is as if she is chasing him into the kitchen. 

 

Raymond sighs at his sister and wonders what is on her mind once again, before going off into the kitchen. 

 

"Ze-ze, can you plead Gor to let us stay, please?" Rachel is still pulling Linda's arm, and her expression begins to change. 

 

"Rachel what are you saying? Why are you crying?" Linda grows worried for the young girl before her. 

 

Rachel realises that some tears have been squeezed out. She wipes them off with her hand and continues begging, "Please talk to Gor, he'll listen to you," the tears continue falling. 

 

"Gor has been the most impatient person I know. He hates waiting. But ever since we've met, ever since he's known you, he's been slowly changing. He used to complain when I ate too slow, or stayed in the shower for too long. But right now, he's different. If Ba and Ma were alive to know that he's willing to wait one hour for someone, or even a year for that person, they would be very surprised," when Rachel finishes her words she releases a laughter, the best she could amongst the tears that flowed non-stop.

 

Linda decides to cut in as Rachel pauses. "Yi, what's wrong? Why are you telling me all these? Don't cry," she frowns and her eyes become wet. 

 

"Ze-ze, that someone is you!" she stops beating around the bush, "Gor's in love with you! He's been waiting a year, to see if you two could have anything! He couldn't get anything in a year, so he wants to give up," Rachel is currently sobbing. "If you tell him not to leave, tell him that you love him too, and you don't want him to leave, he won't."

 

Streaks of tears form on Linda's face. Rachel tries to calm down and successfully does so, but continues talking, "I can tell that you like Gor as well. Why don't you just make him stay? Also, I can't bear to leave such a good sister behind," she finally breaks into a small smile, but then begins to sob even more. "I really don't want to leave!"

 

The tears continue falling and Linda opens to speak, but chokes on her sobs. She tries to smile, "Thank you, Yi, for helping me realise how much your Gor means to me," she means forward and wraps the girl before her in a hug, "and you as well."

 

Rachel smiles and more tears flow, but these tears are tears of joy. 

 

Unknown to the girls, Raymond had heard everything. 

 

 

 

When Raymond returns out of the kitchen, Rachel once again starts her tactics and even manages to chase the two adults out of their home. The two are walking down Aberdeen Street where their home was located before Linda suddenly grabs Raymond's hand. 

 

It has taken her much courage to do so, and to turn and face him takes even more. 

 

"Fung, if I ask you to stay here in Hong Kong, would you stay?" Linda finds it difficult to look at Raymond. She faces him, yet her eyes were all over except on his face. 

 

Raymond tries to laugh, nervously. "Why do you say so?"

 

"Fung, what your sister said was right," she swallows and braces herself, "I like you," and for the second she utters these words, she looks into his eyes. 

 

Raymond smiles, yet his eyes are wet with tears. He hugs Linda tight, and says nothing for a whole minute, but stands still embracing her. 

 

He turns his head and presses a kiss against her hair. Raymond lets go, and they stare deeply into each others' eyes. 

 

"Can you stay here, and don't leave?" Linda asks again sincerely.

 

Raymond nods. "I've been waiting for you to ask me to," he silently adds. 

 

They smile at each other, before sharing a kiss. 

 

"Ze-ze! You kiss my Gor but you've never kissed me before!" Rachel screams from far behind and runs towards them. 

 

The couple turns around. Raymond glares at Rachel, "how many times must I remind you not to run!"

 

Rachel stops and giggles as she reaches them, "I'm okay!" she smiles before turning to Linda, "when can I get my kiss!"

 

Linda laughs. "You're nineteen! You don't need my kiss," she says but gently pulls Rachel's head in as she lands a kiss on the younger girl's forehead. Rachel giggles and plunges forward to hug Linda. 

 

"Gor, are we really not going to leave Hong Kong?" Rachel turns to her brother and asks. 

 

"Nope, we are," he says and folds his arms, while the eyes of the girls widen to the size of coins, "just that we'll be leaving as a family of three."

 

"Yay!" Rachel jumps and hugs her brother tightly. 

 

Linda on the other hand smiles in joy, but jokes around saying, "I have never agreed!"

 

The three of them share a good laugh together, before Rachel opens first, "So from now on, I won't need to call you Ze-ze," she pauses as two pairs of eyes are on her, "I'll call you Dai Sou," she says and laughs. 

 

"Wait!" Linda sticks her hand out, "I never said I would get married to this impatient brother of yours," she says first. 

 

"And I never said I would marry this stubborn girl over here," Raymond says next. 

 

"Whatever, since you like nagging at me so much the two of you can get married and be my parents," Rachel is back at her jokes. 

 

"Her jokes are so crazy, you've influenced her so bad," Linda frowned and threw a whack at Raymond. The three share a good laughter. 

 

"Let's go home," Raymond says and they nod. He grabs the two of them, one on each hand, only to have a strong reaction from Rachel. 

 

"Who wants to hold your hand!" she snickers and escapes from his grasp, "and that is so unfair you get to hold her hand!" she runs over to the other side and pulls onto Linda's hand. 

 

Linda laughs, while Raymond goes again, "stop running!"

 

And the family of three make their way home, knowing that they will be happy in their days ahead. 

 


 

This turned out so much more fluffier than I expected it to be :( I wanted to write angst but because Raymond is always joking around especially in the drama with rayda in it I find it hard not to add that in hahahha especially the ending! I couldn't not add in some mischief of Rachel hahahaha I was actually imagining Rachel to be myself. Haha though personally I don't joke much haha well this feels below expectation, because I really wanted to write angst. Well, the later oneshots will be angsty I guess (I hope). Hahahaha