If Only We Could Swap

The Prince and the Pauper

Ryeowook stirred in his sleep, instinctively rubbing his eyes before opening them slowly, one after the other. His head was thumping and he felt sick to his stomach, had he really got that drunk last night? He got drunk usually but not like that, he’d never woken up in an unfamiliar house…

Wait, an unfamiliar house? 

"Where am I?" Ryeowook panicked, trying to remember what happened last night. His memory failed him and he couldn't remember a thing. He looked around the big apartment, not recognising even a bit. 

"I brought you home, you were too drunk to tell me your address," a voice said from behind him. Ryeowook spun around to see Kyuhyun, sitting next to him and offering him a glass of water and two tablets. 

"I'm guessing you'll need these, you look very hungover," he commented. 

"Thank you," Ryeowook said quietly, gratefully taking the water and tablets. 

Kyuhyun wore his grey plaid pyjama trousers and a plain black t-shirt, looking admittedly adorable. His hair was messy and all over the place, obvious bed hair, however it was better than Ryeowook's in that moment. 

Ryeowook looked over to Bella curled up on a blanket and he smiled gratefully. 

"Thank you for bringing us here, I'm really grateful. I definitely owe you," Ryeowook smiled at Kyuhyun, it was a warm genuine smile. 

"Ah, don't mention it, it was nothing," Kyuhyun blushed slightly, amazed at himself that he did such a good thing. He knew he had a good heart really. 

"But," he continued, "why...were you so drunk last night? You couldn't even talk or walk..." he asked gingerly, not quite sure if it was his place to ask or not. Kyuhyun wasn't insensitive, he knew there was boundaries to what people will talk about. Ryeowook laughed emotionlessly, shaking his head. 

"It was stupid to get so drunk, I'm just stressed," he admitted, placing the glass of water on the coffee table and standing up. He walked over to the big floor to ceiling windows and looked across the view of Seoul. 

"Your apartment is beautiful, and you get this view as well...it must be nice, I wish I had your life," he said, muttering the last part of the sentence. 

Kyuhyun laughed softly, standing up and joining Ryeowook by the window. The pair looked at the view in silence for a few seconds before Kyuhyun looked down at his feet. 

"You don't," he whispered. 

"Hmm?" 

"Want my life." 

Ryeowook went quiet. 

"Yeah, sorry, that was insensitive. I have no idea what your life is like. I guess I just want your money and home," he said, dreaming about a life with enough money to have a bigger house and some nice things. 

"Materialistic things," Kyuhyun began, "are not everything." 

"I know, but I just hate struggling so much, you know?" 

"I'd rather that," Kyuhyun said. Ryeowook looked up at him in shock. 

"Why? Look at your house, and the money you make, the things you can do and buy. You never have to worry about losing your home because you can't pay out enough money," he said, confused at how someone so rich could possibly want to live like he did. 

"Like I said, materialistic things aren't everything. I want real friends, and to leave work at a normal hour. I guess I just want to live life for once," Kyuhyun said, voice becoming more sad as he talked. Ryeowook smiled sympathetically. 

"Can't you just get an easier, lower paid job and move somewhere smaller?" he asked. 

"I've grown quite attached to this house, moving would be stressful. Most importantly my Father wouldn't approve. He's a rich entrepreneur that has always pushed me to overwork myself to get the best job that I can, if he found out that I quit the job he'd worked so hard to help me get and the house that I earned because of it...he would be so disappointed," Kyuhyun said. 

"I understand," Ryeowook replied, seeing his point of view for the first time, maybe Kyuhyun's life wasn't as fancy as he thought it was. 

"Well, as for friends," Ryeowook continued, "you can always come into the coffee shop when it's not busy and meet my friends there, they'd love you! They're all super nice," he beamed. Kyuhyun laughed. 

"I'd love that," he smiled back, "and you can come round here whenever you want and live in the lap of luxury for a bit." 

"Thank you," Ryeowook said, "but I don't even know your name," he suddenly realised. 

"Oh, yes I was thinking that last night, my name is Kyuhyun." 

"I'm Ryeowook, and that's Bella over there," he pointed to the happy dalmatian curled up on the nice blanket in the nice warm house. 

"Bella is my best friend, I've had her quite a few years now. She can be your friend too now! See you've already gained a friend!" Ryeowook laughed, waking Bella up from the noise. 

"Bella meet your new second owner, Kyuhyun," he introduced. Bella looked at Kyuhyun nonchalantly before ignoring him and closing her eyes again. 

"Hey, Ryeowook?" Kyuhyun asked. 

"Yeah?" 

"Are you close with your family?" Ryeowook frowned at the odd question. 

"I am, I go back home every Christmas," he smiled. Kyuhyun's eyes widened tearfully, he had spent so many Christmases alone, he didn't have a close relationship with his family. It felt more like a business relationship than an actual family relationship. 

"If we become close friends, one day can I come with you?" he asked nervously. 

"I," Ryeowook started before Kyuhyun chipped in again.

"It would just be nice to not spend Christmas alone one time." 

"I'd love you to come, you can come this year," Ryeowook said kindly. 

"Really? Thank you so much, Ryeowook." 

"You spend Christmas alone?" Ryeowook asked sadly, suddenly feeling very grateful for his family. He knew there was plenty of people out there who didn't get to spend Christmas with their family, but he'd never met one of those people; and talking to someone like that made him feel somewhat emotional. 

"I'm really not close with my family..." Kyuhyun almost whispered. 

"I'm sorry," Ryeowook said. 

"It's alright. I don't want to talk about it anyway." Ryeowook nodded in understanding. 

"So when I come round here, can I bring Bella?" he asked. Kyuhyun glanced over to the peaceful dog. 

"Hmm, I suppose so..." he said reluctantly, having bad visions of muddy paw prints on his white carpets. 

"She's a very clean dog you know," Ryeowook stated proudly, reading Kyuhyun's mind. Kyuhyun nodded and smiled. 

"Okay, she's fine then."

"Yay!" Ryeowook cheered. 

"I should probably go home, thank you for this, Kyuhyun," Ryeowook said gratefully.

Kyuhyun smiled softly at him- he was just glad he had a new friend, or two friends rather. And not just that but this new friend was so different to him. He wasn't a snobby, rich, business man or woman like his current "friends". 

After meeting Ryeowook, for once, Kyuhyun was truly happy. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I know, I updated fast, but the chapter isn't too long. 

I don't want to like...update overwhelm? 

But I couldn't help it, I was going to write it in a few days but I just couldn't wait okay. 

But the last chapter was late so I owe it to you guys at least hehe <3