Chapter 11 ~ The Imposter

Back In Time

~Narrator's POV~

In the stillness of an autumn afternoon, the Head General stood face to face with her second in command. Every living creature within the Silla province knew to avoid the Dojang that afternoon if they valued their lives. No one, I repeat, no one, ever dared to interrupt the two vicious warriors while they were in the midst of combating.

It was the forty-sixth night in a row they were practising (not that they were counting), and if the King was serious when he told them to train themselves and the soldiers, Chorong and Minhyuk had about fifty-four more days to go.

Chorong threw off her navy cloak and slowly drew her sword from her belt. Her gaze was fixed on his eyes, as she lifted her sword and tightened her grip on the handle. Soon after, he followed.

No words were needed for them to start the duel. The two swords clashed against each other in an unbelievably fast speed. It was almost impossible to tell which sword belong to which general.

The swift moves came to a sudden end when a soft clang echoed throughout the dojang. The tip of Chorong's sword was held against Minhyuk's neck as he stood there emotionless. He had lost.

She took a step back as she took the blade away from his neck. This indicated the end of the the duel and the start of another one.

Despite her effortless victory, she had a displeased look on her face.

"Do you think I'm dumb?" she asked as she pointed her sword towards his chest. He looked at her with heavy breaths.

"Don't hold back, or I am going to break you. And if I don't, Goguryeo will," she said and started yet another match. Minhyuk was going to sleep well tonight (meaning that he will be so tired after it finishes).

* * *

~A while later, in the weapon's room/ meeting room~

"Do you think there is any point in doing any of this?" Minhyuk asked Chorong in an uneasy tone.

"Of course. I have faith in Eunji, Minhyuk-ah," Chorong said as she lightly placed her hand on top of his. She was trying to convince him to believe in Silla's victory, but at the same time, she was trying to convince herself too. There had been no process as of to the war and Eunji's duty.

Minhyuk flinched at her light touch. He turned his head away as it was turning red like a monkey's bottom and he definitely did not want her to notice.

"Are you feeling okay, Minhyuk?" she asked as she lowered her face to see his eyes, without even realising.

"Y-yea, I'm fine."

"But, Minhyuk, you're face is bright red!" she exclaimed with worry.

"R-re-d? Oh- u-m.." he stuttered. Minhyuk was a really cool guy. Usually.

"Oh, I know. You probably got sunburnt from training today," she said with a smile, which made him smile too.

"You should have applied some sunscreen fifteen-minutes prior to exposure to the sun," her lecturing continued even in the feudal era.

She would never know. He thought

* * *

~Hayoung's POV~
 

I cautiously tip-toed towards the weapons room after the two generals. I really didn't know why the Gongju-mama had ordered for me to spy on them. This was going to be a dangerous task. I could get assassinated if I didn't play my cards right.

I stopped in the middle of my steps when I heard faint voices coming from the other side of the thin paper door. I was to be careful to even breathe because everyone knew the two very skilled generals can hear an army of soldiers from miles away.

"Do you think there is any point in doing any of this?" the male general asked. I was told that he was the deputy general.

"Of course. I have faith in Eunji, Minhyuk-ah," the female general said.

What could she have possibly meant?

Why was she not referring Eunji Ongju-mama as Ongju-mama?

Why was she talking to General Minhyuk so informally?

Now there had to be something going on.

"Are you feeling okay, Minhyuk?" the female general continued after a short pause.

"Y-yea, I'm fine."

"But, Minhyuk, you're face is bright red!"

"R-re-d? Oh- u-m.." he stuttered.

"Oh, I know. You probably got sunburnt from training today. You should have applied some sunscreen fifteen-minutes prior to exposure to the sun," she said, and made my head spin even more.

What on earth was sunscreen?

I dared myself to listen even closer.

"Do you think Eunji has figured out anything about her duty?" the guy continued.

"Hey, I told you to add Ongju-mama to her name. Otherwise, people are going to find out."

Find out what?

"Oh yes, I forgot. It would be real trouble if anyones finds out that Eunji is not the actual Ongju-mama."

What?

"Exactly. How the hell would we explain time travelling and the future era? I don't even want to think about it."

I could not believe my ears.

Eunji Ongju was an imposter.

DUN DUN DUN DUN~!!