Chapter 9 ~ Nobleman's Son

Back In Time

~Eunji's POV, back in Silla~

I walked along the crowded streets once again. But this time I had a destination. I had a place to go. Someone was waiting for me.

My feet took me to a local stable. There I saw him. He waved back with a warm smile. I tightened my grip and scrunched my hanbok to run.

Baekhyun had promised to take me horseriding.

"Why hello Princess, what brings you here?" He said jokingly.

I glared back playfully. He knew not to call me princess when we were secretly outside the Palace.

Next to him was a grand, fine, black gelding with royal red reins.

"Where's the other one?" I said when I realised there were only one horse.

"We don't need another one." He said as he knelt down on his knees so that I could mount it. Then, he hopped on behind me.

I could feel my face turn rose red as his fingertips gently wrapped around mine on the reins.

He was so close to me that I could hear his heart beating.

Was he nervous like me too?

I didn't know why but a sudden flashback of the day Baekhyun and I rode his bike to school popped into my head.

It was like this then too. My cheeks will go rosy red in embarrassment.

Since when did I like him so much?

~Baekhyun's POV~

I grabbed hold of the reins and gently held her hands.

I had a new goal.

I must capture this naive princess' s heart and use her to bring Goguryeo to victory.

Father would be so proud.

But why was my heart beating so fastly?

Maybe it was because I was never this close to any girl before.

I shook the thought off and instructed the horse to gallop forward.

~few moments later, Eunji's POV~

The view was absolutely amazing. It was a vast landscape with a sea of green grass. 

"Whoa, whoa, whoa." Baekhyun said as he lightly tugged on the reins, putting the horse to a halt.

He dismounted from the horse and held out a hand, obviously for me to hold to hop off. But me being me, I didn't notice his hand and tried to jump off the 6 feet-tall animal.

I fell. And out of all the places I could have fallen, I just had to fall on top of him. 

Our faces were only centimeters apart. I could feel his breath against my cheeks.

I quickly jumped up and faced the other way in embarrassment. 

"I'm so sorry." I said as we sat down under a shady tree.

"Nah, it's fine. Just as long as your not hurt." He responded a little too quick.

There was an awkward silience. 

"Have you ever gone horse riding with another woman before?" I asked to break the silence. I should really learn to think before I speak.

But he seemed to actually be serious about it and thought deeply.

"Actually, I have. Once." He said matter of factly. I hadn't expected that.

"Why, you jealous?" He said jokingly and brought us to laughter.

Then suddenly, he picked a flower out of the soil and handed it to me.

"But I've never given a flower to anyone before." 

~A couple of days later, Eunji's POV~

My heart pounded in and out of my chest and could be heard all the way up in my head. There was no need to say I was a bundle of nerves. My face expression was clearly reflecting how nervous I was. But then I imagined how nervous Namjoo would be; to find out who her husband will be. Even I was freaking out for her.

"So i've decided that your groom will be nobleman Byun Seung Ho's son, Byun Baekhyun." this man, my father, the King, said matter of factly.

I couldn't believe my ears. I felt  like crying. I wanted the earth to split open and swallow me whole. It felt like there was no use in living anymore.

I turned to look at Namjoo's face. She looked at me pitifully. But it wasn't her fault. She wouldn't even had dreamed for this to happen because it would put her in a sticky situation. 

Or did she?

...

I think I need to improve in writing chessy lines :)