Thirty-six

Need a Roommate?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Enjoy!

 

Taemin is not one to judge but he can’t help but scold at Junmyeon and Yixing’s display of love. It’s saddening, sickling sweet and cheesy. “Oi! Look at you two!” this is a side of Yixing that Taemin had not seen before. Taemin will definitely use it one of these days to tease the elder later on. “Aigoo!” Taemin sighs with a shake of his head. The two grownups play with each other, giggling and holding each other’s body like nothing. “Aigoo~” but still, Taemin can’t help but to smile at the oblivious pair.

“I will develop diabetes just by staring at you two!” Taemin scolds yet again with a sigh.

“Then stop staring.” Junmyeon teased, taking Taemin by surprise and emitting a small blush from the younger. The younger rolled his eyes while walking away from the sickling sweet and cheesy couple.

Jongin – on the other hand – was not there with Taemin to tease the couple because he was too busy staring at his best friend. Jongin had noticed the way that Baekhyun spaced out while decorating the café shop for Chanyeol’s birthday party.

The indescribable look on Baekhyun’s face has Jongin deeply frowning. The younger doesn’t quite comprehend that look for as he had never seen it before. Jongin was expecting for Baekhyun to be jumping up and down in excitement. But all he sees instead is a confused looking puppy, who’s too engrossed staring at his favorite eyeliner. “Hey!” snapping his fingers in front of Baekhyun, Jongin chuckles at his best friend’s reaction.

A pair of droopy and tired eyes stare right at him. “H-Huh?” Baekhyun scoffs at Jongin’s grinning face.

But Jongin dismisses the look and pouts instead. The young dancer raises a questioning brow while crossing his arms around his chest in a very serious manner. Baekhyun raises a brow of his own, tilting his head to side while blinking cutely. “What’s the matter?” Baekhyun touches his face, checking if something is wrong with him. Maybe he put too much BB cream. Dammit, Baekhyun warned himself about eating too much chocolate. Now he has a pimple!

But then Jongin scoffs, expression turning sour. “I don’t know! You are the one acting all weird and stuff.” Baekhyun makes a face, saying that he doesn’t know what the hell Jongin is talking about. But the beating of his heart increases as he remembers Chanyeol and a certain closet and how close Chanyeol was to him and how much he wanted to – stop Byun Baekhyun!

“Something is bothering you!” the question seems to throw Baekhyun off making Jongin even more curious. But Baekhyun denies everything with a nervous shake of his head. “There is definitely something going on! Yah, did Chanyeol do something to you?!” Baekhyun gasped when the hand he was using to apply his eyeliner slipped, and now he has eyeliner all over his eyelid.

“Gosh! Yah, Kim Jongin!” Baekhyun glares at Jongin. “I-I have to start all over again,” Jongin tried to stay still but Baekhyun kept on pushing him to the other side. 

A sigh escapes Baekhyun’s lips when the younger sits next to him once again. Jongin ignores Baekhyun’s protests while pushing further into the small vanity space. “Are you going to tell me? Yes or yes.” the younger elbows Baekhyun to start speaking but said person keeps his mouth shut, frown growing deeper.

There really isn’t anything to talk about. That is what Baekhyun keeps on telling himself. Really, there is no way that Chanyeol was – well – that he was flirting with Baekhyun. No way at all.

It’s stupid to even think about it. “Baekhyunnie!” Baekhyun snaps out of his train of thoughts, ignoring the younger beside him. “Oh, what happened to the trust? I feel so neglected and betrayed. Am I no longer your best friend?” Jongin throws his hands up in the air before staring at Baekhyun with sad eyes.

Baekhyun doesn’t hold the urge of whacking Jongin on the head. “You are so dramatic!” Baekhyun expected for Jongin to give up but found the younger staring at him with pleading eyes, plump lips puckered into a pout. “Ugh, fine! I will tell y-you...” Jongin nodded, eyes glowing in anticipation. Baekhyun rolled his eyes with a sigh. “I’ve been... feeling...” however, what is Baekhyun supposed to say, huh?

The sudden changes in his relationship with Chanyeol might be nothing but a poor misunderstanding of his deprived love life. Because why in the world would Chanyeol act flirty towards him? The man is technically out of his league in every sense of the word. Park Chanyeol is a guy and so is Byun Baekhyun. End of discussion – out-of-his-league!

Baekhyun curses to himself for being so damn stupid. His head keeps on playing tricks on him and Baekhyun knows it. However, that doesn’t stop him from wanting everything to be true. Because something did change in the way that Chanyeol stares at him, in the way that Chanyeol talks to him. It makes Baekhyun weak on his knees.

Heck, Baekhyun doesn’t know if it’s him, but there is an intense aura surrounding him whenever he is with Chanyeol. It’s so intense that it’s hard for Baekhyun to handle it. Those same feelings and changes are encouraging him – giving him false hope.

It’s plain cruel.

That is what happens for falling in love with a straight man. Baekhyun is bound to think that every single guy in the world is flirting with him when that is not really the case. Sadly, Chanyeol is now included in that list.

“Hey...” Jongin snaps his fingers once again. “Earth to Byun Baekhyun!” he chuckles lightly, but Baekhyun knows that his best friend is concerned.

Baekhyun doesn’t say anything. He just stares at his reflection through the vanity mirror before applying his eyeliner all over again. “It’s nothing,” he swipes the mess he'd made a while ago from his eye with a tissue. “Just forget it. I am being stupid anyways.” he chuckles wholeheartedly, though there is sadness lingering in the end.

Nothing makes sense to Baekhyun anymore.

Park Chanyeol is a straight man – a man who has way too many responsibilities and duties to take care of.  Baekhyun can’t help but ponder on the thought of Chanyeol soon leaving him to form a family of his own, to go back to work and fulfill his life. This is just a temporary thing and Baekhyun knows it. Park Chanyeol can’t hide on their small apartment forever. He just turned thirty dammit! “Huh?” Jongin makes a face. “No, you have to tell me. Look at you! I don’t care if this thing is stupid, Byun!” Baekhyun ends up glaring at him.

Sighing, Baekhyun says, “Stop calling me that!” Baekhyun warns with a groan. “You know that I don’t like been called Byun.” the younger nods in understand. However, if Baekhyun truly hates it then why he is okay with Mr. Lee calling him that?

“I don’t see you complaining about it to Mr. Lee.” Jongin snorts in distaste. Jongin hated Park Chanyeol but stopped doing so after meeting him. Getting to know him better only make him realize that Chanyeol is a nice guy. Maybe if Jongin hadn’t met him then he would have been more than happy for Baekhyun and Mr. Lee.

But that is not the case anymore and he objects. Really, he just can’t see Baekhyun dating his professor. It’s just wrong or maybe he is just being biased. “It’s nothing!” the younger flinches a little at Baekhyun’s outburst.

Baekhyun is angry. He is starting to hate Jongin for mentioning Mr. Lee so damn much. It’s only confusing him. Baekhyun wonders why he no longer drools over Mr. Lee like he used to. It’s actually frustrating because he can no longer feel the same way about Mr. Lee. Things for Baekhyun are getting a bit awkward. “Then why are you so damn angry?!” Jongin scoffs but there is a prominent pout on his lips. Baekhyun had never yelled at him before.

“I don’t know!” Baekhyun sniffs but he doesn’t cry. He then stares at Jongin with a guilty look on his face. He had never raised his voice before and he feels bad for letting his anger out on his best friend. “It makes no sense at all, Jongin.” not really understanding, Jongin asks what. “My delusional mind is playing tricks on me. I keep on... thinking that... that Chanyeol might be flirting. He is acting weird all of the sudden. I mean, something has changed in the way that talks to me, hah!” Baekhyun suddenly laughs to himself.

“God, I know that he is just getting more comfortable around me. That we are becoming closer but it’s tiring. Chanyeol is so damn gorgeous and I think that I am losing control. Nini, you have got help me!”

The younger makes a mental note to talk to Chanyeol about his sudden change in behavior. He can’t be misleading Baekhyun like that because it’s not fair. “See, it was nothing.” Baekhyun dryly chuckles. “You are probably mentally laughing at me, thinking how lame I am, aren’t you?” Jongin only stares at Baekhyun, sighing. “We should stop. Ugh, look at this! I messed up this eye!” Baekhyun smiled brightly despite the turmoil going inside him.

Kim Jongin does not like what he is hearing at all. He hates the feeling of a one-sided love as much as Baekhyun does. And why would he think that Baekhyun is stupid for having such feelings when he is experiencing them himself.

Jongin slumps back into his chair while staring at Baekhyun. His friend is having such a hard time with this whole falling in love dilemma. The worst part is that Jongin doesn’t know how to help Baekhyun. Jongin is as clueless as Baekhyun. “Dammit, tall idiot!” he thinks to himself.

 

 

“Look! They are here!” Mr. Byun beams in excitement when he sees Yixing’s car parking in front of the café shop.

Mrs. Byun pushes her way towards the vehicle, gasping. She sees Yixing and Junmyeon walking out of the car looking very handsome. Then Taemin and Jongin step out follow by Baekhyun. “Aigoo!” she claps her hands like a mad seal. Mr. Byun shakes his head with a scold on his face.

“Why are my boys so handsome?!” Mr. Byun rolls his eyes.

“Not as handsome as me...” he mutters but the others hear him loud and clear.

Mrs. Byun sends him a glare before turning to her son. Baekhyun didn’t get his sassy side from his mother. No, he got it from his father. “Omma!” Baekhyun closes the door behind him before rushing towards his mother. Yixing then apologizes for taking long, but Jongin puts the blame on Baekhyun for taking forever with his makeup.

That earns Jongin a whack on the head, curtesy of Baekhyun. “Well, let’s start! Chanyeol will be here pretty soon.” Yixing says as he unlocks the door of the café shop.

Mrs. Byun gasps in surprise the moment her eyes land on the gifts, cake and decorations. However, they waste no time and immediately start fixing any last minute details. The boys take care of the remaining decorations while Mrs. Byun helps set up all of the food on a table. Baekhyun grabs a Rilakkuma-shaped cake and places it on a separate table close to the one with the gifts. “This might seem childish but I hope you like it, Yoda.” Baekhyun silently prays for his roommate to love his surprise.

He smiles at the cake and then at the presents, but his smile fades for as his present is so small compared to the others. Baekhyun slightly pouts. However, what should really matter is the intention not the size, right?

While Baekhyun is growing white hairs over any last minute decorations, Jongin is breaking his head, staring at his phone and then at the doors. He ends up sighing every time. – Will he come? Maybe Kyungsoo change his mind. Maybe he really does hate Jongin. “He will come,” Junmyeon places an arm around him causing Jongin to turn slightly pink.

“Am I that obvious, hyung?” Jongin shyly asks.

Junmyeon hums, chuckling with a nod of his head. “You two are the cutest thing I’ve ever seen! Chanyeol and Kyungsoo are so damn stupid. I just want to smack the stupidity out of them.” Jongin pouts, groaning as he tries to pry Junmyeon’s hands away from his cheeks. “Ommo! Look!”

With a groan, Jongin follows Junmyeon’s finger. His eyes land on a red-haired guy who is stepping into the café shop. Jongin’s eyes widen in nothing but pure shock the moment he realized who it is. And, holy crap, Jongin forgot how to breathe!

Junmyeon raises an amused brow while shaking his head with a low but teasing chuckle. “Very obvious,” he laughs when Jongin pushes him away, desperately trying to fix his hair and whatnot. “You look fine. Actually, you look hot. I would have hit on you if I wasn’t dating my baby Xing!”

“Hyung!” Jongin couldn’t help but grow red. He is used to girls complementing him on his looks, but not with guys. Oh, he really wants to hear how good looking he is from Kyungsoo.

As for Kyungsoo, he was intending to avoid Jongin at all cost. He was not expecting to lock eyes with Jongin at all, to stay frozen on his spot and stare back in awe. The young dancer is – in simple words – ing gorgeous. Heck, Jongin doesn’t need a makeover to have Kyungsoo salivating like a hungry hyena.

Jongin would probably look hot wearing a grandpa sweater and brown boring pants. Kyungsoo can’t help but to picture th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter