Twenty-two

Need a Roommate?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Enjoy

Kyungsoo paces around his room mainly in disappointment. He keeps on sending his innocent phone a few glares before stopping in front of it. Kyungsoo knows that Jongin is at Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s apartment. He also knows that Jongin had asked for him. His eyes almost popped out of his sockets when he heard the younger’s voice. So where the hell are Jongin’s text messages? Why isn’t Jongin calling Kyungsoo like he usually does? That is why Kyungsoo is glaring at his poor oblivious phone. Kyungsoo had a hard time last night. He didn’t want to send Jongin any messages because he was embarrassed, shocked and freaking confused.

“Text me when you get home!” Jongin had asked him. Kyungsoo hesitated but ended up texting the younger. What did he get in return? Nothing! Jongin never texted him back. Now, Kyungsoo is impatiently waiting for Jongin to call him. What scares and frustrates Kyungsoo the most is the fact that he will storm out of his house if Jongin where to ask him to.

He deeply sighs in vexation, sitting on top of a decorating wooden chair. It seems like he won’t be getting any calls from Jongin. “I am not wearing my favorite shirt for nothing...” he mumbles under his breath. “I look good...” he frowns, slightly pouting. “Ah, right!” he abruptly stands up from the chair. “I have to return Baekhyun his favorite shirt!” he heads over to the laundry room, grabbing Baekhyun’s nicely folded shirt.

Kyungsoo heads back to the living room, eyes landing on his keys. He bits his lower lip, frowning. Kyungsoo will have to use Baekhyun’s shirt as an excuse, because there is no way that he wants to see Jongin!

 

 

The architect noticed how much Baekhyun looks like Mrs. Byun. The two of them have the same rectangular smile. Chanyeol also noticed that Baekhyun got his father’s eyes. Mr. Byun seems rather cold towards Chanyeol, but his aura changes when he is with Jongin or Baekhyun.

Jongin loves to get on Mr. Byun’s nerves. The poor old man is always pouting when Jongin teases him. It is a strangely familiar sight. It is the same pout that Baekhyun has when Jongin teases him. “This is Baekhyun’s favorite!” Mrs. Byun finally comes out of the kitchen with bowls of food on her hands. “I hope you like it, Chanyeol-shi.” the architect politely nods.

Baekhyun’s attention turns towards the bowls of food, eyes widening in realization. Baekhyun loves Japanese food. That is his favorite, but Chanyeol hates it. “It’s my traditional Japanese recipe.” it’s not that Mrs. Byun is Japanese. She just grew up eating it as a tradition on her family.

Chanyeol blinks, mind trying to register what Mrs. Byun just said. Jongin beams in happiness, excited to try his aunt’s food once again. But Chanyeol frowns. He stares at the food been placed on the dining table. There are so many dishes, all looking rather appetizing. “Mom...” Baekhyun clears his throat. “Chanyeol doesn’t like Japanese food...” both adults plus Jongin stare at the architect with disbelief.

Baekhyun can’t help but feel sorry for both his mother and roommate. “What! You really don’t like it, hyung?” the 21 year old man can’t believe what he is hearing.

The architect nervously laughs. “I’ve never had it....” he says, clearly lying to everyone.

“How do you know that you don’t like it if you haven’t eaten it?” Mr. Byun comments, one brow rising.

Chanyeol deeply frowns. He hates Japanese food with all of his being, but he also knows how awfully disrespectful it is to reject food. Chanyeol had promised himself to never again eat that food. There was a time where he loved it. That was until it became a routine. The taste that it left after was rather bitter. “I am sure that he will love your other dishes, mom.”

That has Chanyeol frowning even more. The food looks exquisitely delicious. That, itself, tells how much work Mrs. Byun put into it. Not eating the food will make Chanyeol look like a douche. “It’s okay. Mr. Byun is right...” Chanyeol stares at the food. “How will I know if I don’t try it?” the old man nods.

Baekhyun feels awfully bad for Chanyeol.

But Mrs. Byun is not a bad person. She assures Chanyeol that he doesn’t have to eat it. There are many dishes to choose from, but Chanyeol insists. Everyone is already eating except for Chanyeol. Baekhyun can hardly enjoy his meal with Chanyeol feeling oblige. “Eat your food and don’t say that you don’t like it!” the look of the food is different, but it’s the same dish that his mother used to give him. “Don’t wait up for me. Your father will be back in a while.” unwanted memories invade Chanyeol’s mind, blocking him of whatever it is that the others are chatting about.

There is only one person paying attention to Chanyeol. Baekhyun tilts his head to the side, forehead knitting into a frown. “It’s Minsoo, Chanyeol-ah!” the architect’s fingers tighten around the wooden chopsticks, lips pressing into a thin line. Chanyeol sees his mother slamming a door shut, and his young-self staring with teary eyes at a cold plate filled with Japanese food.

Baekhyun continues to stare at his roommate, feeling rather concern. With his foot, he reaches under and taps the architect’s foot. Chanyeol snaps out of his train of thoughts, eyes slightly red. He notices Baekhyun’s concern gaze. “Are you okay?” Baekhyun mumbles only for Chanyeol to hear.

Chanyeol clears his throat as he nods. “You haven’t touched your food, dear.” Mrs. Byun comments. She had also noticed how distraught the architect looked. Baekhyun sits straight on his chair, eyes still on Chanyeol. And Chanyeol is feeling guilty and very down at the moment. Not to mention the rage that the memories brought him. With much hesitation, he picks some food with the chopsticks. He inaudibly sighs before placing the first bite inside his mouth.

Chanyeol waits for the bitter and unwanted memories to strike again, but there is nothing. There is no bitter taste and nothing is blocking his mind.  It’s a rather strange taste and feeling.

Chanyeol doesn’t quite hate it. It doesn’t make sense to him. Everything is so damn different. He slowly opens his eyes, gaze landing on Baekhyun’s very own brown orbs. “This is...” he wipes his mouth with a tissue. Baekhyun continues to bit his lower lip, anxiously. “It’s delicious, Mrs. Byun.”

Baekhyun’s eyes widen while Jongin snorts in annoyance. “Of course it is!” he exclaims.

“It’s very different to what I used to have...” Mrs. Byun smiles, feeling rather accomplished with her cooking. Baekhyun keeps in mind what Chanyeol just said. The reason why Chanyeol hates the food might be behind those words. He feels bad for not knowing much about Chanyeol when they’ve live together for a month now.

And Chanyeol can’t stop eating. He never thought that he was going to enjoy the food ever again. There is no doubt that Kyungsoo would’ve loved the food. The feelings that Chanyeol gets from eating are different. It’s a rather fulfilling taste. “Didn’t you have a tummy ache?” Baekhyun gets after Jongin. The 21 year old man is on his third serving already. Jongin shrugs, still munching.

“It went away...” he mumbles under his chewing, accidently spitting some food out. Baekhyun makes a grossed out face while Mr. and Mrs. Byun chuckle. 

“How old are you, Chanyeol-shi? If you don’t mind me asking,” Mrs. Byun asks, silencing everyone.

The architect gulps the food down his throat. “I will be turning 30 in a couple of weeks.” he says, knowing how Mr. Byun feels about his age. Jongin never stopped mentioning it a while ago.

It is hard to believe that Chanyeol is 30 years old. He looks stunningly young for his age. His maturity gives him off, though. That and his height, firm body and deep voice also indicate that he is no longer a boy. “You know how old my son is?” Chanyeol nods. “He is practically a kid.” Mr. Byun can’t help but grow protective of his offspring.

Baekhyun pouts. He wants to protest because he is no longer a kid. He makes a tantrum, gathering everyone’s attention. “Dad, I am 22 years old!” the old man shrugs. “I am an adult already!” Baekhyun sulks, totally contradicting himself. Chanyeol chuckles in diversion. He finds Baekhyun’s every little action adorable. “Yeol~” the architect clears his throat after hearing the younger calling his name so cutely. “You never told me that your birthday is so close...” now that Baekhyun thinks about it, Chanyeol doesn’t talk much about him. He is always hearing what Baekhyun has to say, though.

The architect finds himself staring at Baekhyun’s pouting face longer than intended. Mr. Byun frowns while Mrs. Byun silently beams. Their son is just so beautiful. Jongin is still eating not minding what the others are talking about. He already knows how old Chanyeol is and that he is a man of few words. “Y-yeah...” he finally reacts. “It’s just around the corner.” he chuckles. “Now you know, Baek.”

Mr. Byun’s eyes widen. – Already with nicknames? The old man rubs his aching temples. The last thing he wants is for Baekhyun to get hurt. There is no way that Mr. Park is gay. Baekhyun is going to suffer if he falls in love with the architect. But Mr. Byun fears that his biggest fear just came true. “What about your job?” he needs a lot of answers.

The architect seems like a nice person, but things are still very fishy. Why did Chanyeol leave his CEO position? Why is he hiding from people? There are so many unanswered questions.

Chanyeol doesn’t want to be seemed disrespectful. It’s just that he doesn’t want to talk about his struggles. “Let’s just say that I wasn’t necessarily needed at the company.” he sets his empty plate to the side.

“What about your parents? There are rumors going on that you ran away from your home. Is that true?” both Jongin and Baekhyun stare at the architect, also in search of some answers. They already know that Chanyeol run away from his house, but that is about it.

A part of Baekhyun hates the way his father is behaving. The old man is the sweetest person alive, so why is he acting like a douche towards Chanyeol? There is nothing that Chanyeol can do but nod, sighing. Even Jongin turns serious and stops with his continuous munching. “I did, Mr. Byun...”

Mr. Byun’s eyes narrow. He stares at the architect with judging eyes before they soften up. Chanyeol stares down, fingers playing with the napkin placed over his lap. “It must be difficult...” the architect looks up. “Whatever it is that you are going through, it must be difficult.” The atmosphere is so thick that it can be cut with a knife. “You can count with us, son...” Chanyeol is confused. Mr. Byun is no longer glaring at him but smiling. “I am a parent. I ought to know the look of a struggling kid.”

“I thought you said that he is old.” Jongin intervenes, earning glares from both Mrs. Byun and Baekhyun.

Chanyeol lightheartedly chuckles. “I know what Baekhyun goes through and the struggles that he has encounter over the years.” Baekhyun plays with his finger, knowing very well what his father is referring to.

No one knows that Chanyeol also knows except Jongin. “We know how hard the life of a man with power is.” Mrs. Byun adds into the conversation. “Your parents might seem too harsh on you, but that is because they want the best for you.”

Is it, though? Is that why Chanyeol lost his father’s love and support? Is Mr. Park doing it for Chanyeol’s best?

“We won’t ask you for much but to take care of Baekhyun.” Mr. Byun says. “He is younger and still has a lot to learn from.” Chanyeol nods. It’s funn

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter