HER - 2

Of Cardboard Box and Letters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

July 24, 2012

 

I drop my school bag on the side of my desk as soon as I reach the classroom. The room has already been filled with some of my noisy classmates who have already long established their own groups after years of being in the same class, leaving me a little isolated since I only transferred to this new school for Senior Year.

 

It’s not that I’m complaining about the impartial treatment towards a transferee such as me, that I mind them being like this. It’s just that sometimes I totally envy them for having friends because they get to speak to someone about their personal feelings. It gets quite lonely too when you don’t have someone in a place you always go to five days a week. I just wish I can have Hana around, or that I’m still studying in my previous school even if there is Hwang Nara, Mrs. Han, and Oh Sehun to deal with, just so I would feel less lonely.

 

I sigh as I pull my seat and sit down. I bet that today is going to be a long day again just like the previous days. It has been a month since I transferred but I still find it hard to adjust. How do I deal with tons of assignments while needing to catch up with lessons I had missed? How to deal with loneliness and prejudiced eyes? How to deal with teachers full of expectations and a stubborn cousin?

 

Speaking of my cousin, I’m sure that he’s just somewhere around ready to pounce on me again. I haven’t seen him yesterday since apparently he had cut classes with his friends and practiced in a studio the whole night. He said it was necessary for the band since they have a gig at night, every Monday and Wednesday. And yes, if you’re a little confused about what I had just mentioned earlier, my cousin and his friends are in a band—some kind of group that plays musical instruments and sings. Yes, something like that.

 

As expected, the back door of my classroom opens and in comes Park Chanyeol with his long arms spread wide to welcome me in a hug.

 

“Miyeooooon-ah!” I yelp when he actually envelopes me in a bone crushing hug.

 

However, Jongdae comes into the rescue and pats Chanyeol’s back to tell him to get off me, “Ya. Ya. Park Chanyeol, are you trying to kill your cousin right now?” He chides at the taller.

 

Chanyeol pulls away and then beams at me before sitting himself on the empty chair next to mine. Jongdae pulls a chair from the other side of the room and then stations it in between our seats. Yixing goes to the seat in front of mine and then rests his head on the desk immediately to take a nap. Minseok settles himself on the seat in front of Chanyeol’s and then smiles at me, his chubby cheeks puffing out making him look like a cute squirrel with mouth full of food.

 

“So?” I ask, trying to inquire about what they are doing in my class when they belong in different classes than mine.

 

Chanyeol leans closer to me and wiggles his brows playfully. “You definitely know why we’re here.” He beams.

 

I lean back, feeling a little troubled since it’s not the first time he and his friends actually came to me like this with the same intention. In fact, they came to this room almost every day just to bug me.

 

I sigh and turn away from him, while trying my best to look like I don’t care. “You know already what my answer is. Why do you even keep on being stubborn about asking me to be your vocalist?” I utter out with a dry tone.

 

He whines and then suddenly pulls his chair even closer to mine, making our knees bump with each other’s. “Please? Can’t you at least do this favor for your dearest cousin?” He pleads as he clasps his hand together in a pleading manner. I shook my head in response.

 

The next thing he does, he holds my hands and displays big puppy eyes in front of me. “If only our vocalist didn’t have to move to the province then I won’t be asking you this favor right now. But sadly he did. And I’m just lucky that my wonderful cousin decided to transfer here. Besides, your voice is just perfect for the band!” He exclaims, exaggerating with big hand movements to make himself look even more convincing.

 

He then looks back at me and then grins sheepishly, “So, how about that?”

 

I pull off a poker face and shake my head. “Sorry but your wonderful cousin right here has much more important things to do than joining a band that only knows how to cut classes and be rowdy in my classroom.” I tell him, making sure to roll my eyes at him afterwards.

 

“B-but, Mi-Mi….yeoooon.” He whines, begging me, “Can’t you at least give it a try? You’re the best candidate for that role in the band! And you’re my awesome cousin! You love me and I love you! We’re stuck like glue when we were younger! Remember?”

 

I look away from him since I already feel too embarrassed about him and his big mouth. This always happens whenever he’s in my classroom and people just love to eavesdrop on us that I hate him being here. Besides, his reputation in this grade as someone popular because he’s in a ‘great’ band just makes it even more unbearable to be around since I also receive unnecessary attention. However, I guess it’s only me who notices the extra attention and not the band, or maybe they are just so used to it that they don’t take notice.

 

“We’ll be taking him away now, don’t worry.” Jongdae says as he and Minseok starts dragging away Chanyeol by the arm.

 

“Miyeon-ah!!! Just think about it for a little bit more! I promise that I won’t cut classes if that’s what will make you agree! I won’t talk for a week too, if that will make you happy! Ya! J-just listen to meeeee!!!!” Chanyeol whines as they are finally passing by the door.

 

“Well, can you actually not open your mouth for a week?” I holler in his direction.

 

He widens his eyes at this and then tries to peel away himself from two of his friends man-handling him. “If I do that, will you really join the band?!” He inquires excitedly. Jongdae and Minseok who are at either of his sides grins expectantly at me, as if the idea also delights them.

 

I sigh and nod, waving the white flag for the very first time after a month of being bugged by Chanyeol. “I’m quite confident that you won’t last not speaking for a week, so—good luck Park.” I beam at him, my voice overflowing with confidence. After all, knowing Chanyeol, he won’t even last a day without opening that big mouth of his.

 

He snorts though and says, “Who says I can’t? This is Park Chanyeol you’re talking about! And if I want something, I will get it no matter what!” He tells me smugly. Jongdae and Minseok pats him on the back while wishing him ‘good luck’.

 

“Ya! Aren’t we a team?! Are you two thinking that I’m the only one who needs to do this?” Chanyeol complains, the two nod their heads at him though.

 

“You said you’re going to keep quiet for a week. That does not require our help so we’ll just support you on this.” MInseok tells him and then smiles widely.

 

Jongdae slings an arm over Minseok’s neck and says, “Indeed! We’ll give you our moral support!”

 

Chanyeol glowers at them and then stomps his feet, “How can you be like this to me?!” He complains and then walks away in irritation.

 

“The deal starts today. Don’t forget to tell him.” I tell the two when they are about to follow after Chanyeol. They nod and point at something, or rather someone in front of me.

 

“Please wake him up.” Jongdae says softly, and I nod in response when I realized that Yixing is still sound asleep on the desk in front of mine.

 

When the three are finally nowhere in sight, I stand up from my seat and lean forward to shake Yixing awake, “Ya. Zhang Yixing, wake up.” I softly utter out, not to frighten the hell out of him. It takes a little bit more of shaking before he awakes.

 

He cutely rubs his sleepy eyes and then turns his head to me, we blink at each other at the same time and then he goes on ruffling my hair. “Are they already out?” He asks me, and I nod meekly since I’m still not used to him being this friendly and affectionate.

 

He smiles a little and then stands up slowly. I watch him as he picks up his bag and slings it around his arm and then his shoulder. “Well, I’ll be going then—oh wait! Before I forget…”

 

He removes his bag from his shoulders and then opens its zip. He fumbles for something inside his bag and when he pulls out and shows me a huge pack of fluffy white marshmallows, my lips instantly twists up and my eyes lights up in delight.

 

“Here,” He says, offering me the bag. I gingerly reach out for it and hug it close to my chest. “I heard from Chanyeol that you like marshmallows so I got you some from the convenience store in front of school.” He informs me coolly.

 

“K-kamsahamnida.” I tell him shyly and he pats my head fondly in reward.

 

“Hope that helps you on deciding whether to join the band.” He winks at me then slings his bag over his shoulder again before retreating away. He stops by the back door however, and turns back to me to wave goodbye. “If you join, you’ll see this nice oppa every day.” He beams, making me snort.

 

“We’ll see to it.” I tell him, and he nods in understanding before finally walking out of the classroom, his hand already covering his mouth as he lets out a yawn. That sleepy head.

 

I shake my head and smile to myself as I pull out the text book I have been reading since this morning before going to school. Indeed, meeting the band today made my day a little pleasant no matter how rowdy Chanyeol can get. Besides him, honestly, the rest of the members are tolerable. Yixing’s especially friendly and thoughtful, and let’s say I built a little liking on him since the very first time I saw him because he just looks so prince-like, but not that I’ll say that out loud.

 

I flip on the pages of my book and smile as I looke down on the pack of marshmallow Yixing bought me. Isn’t he so nice? No wonder a lot of girls notice him even though he’s a little weird sometimes. He has this habit of sleeping anywhere even in broad daylight, he forgets a lot of things most of the time, and worst he answers questions as if he’s dumb. Still, that makes him all the more adorable, so I let it pass.

 

When the teacher finally comes in, we stand up and greet him. He tells us to sit down and he starts on discussing something when suddenly the back door rattles open rather too loudly that everyone’s attention shifts from him to the person coming in late. Kim Jongin. The great hooker of our year.

 

“Mr. Kim, how many times do I have to tell you not to come in late?!” Mr. Cha chides angrily, hands already gripping firmly on his hips.

 

Jongin yawns and acts as if he hasn’t really heard Mr. Cha speaking to him. He runs his fingers through his hair and thoughtlessly bows down in courtesy to the old man before settling himself on the seat next to mine.

 

“Sorry if I’m late again, songsaengnim.” He tells Mr. Cha. “My bed sure loves me that my alarm didn’t still work.”

 

Mr. Cha scoffs, anger visible on his scowling face. “I’ve already heard lots of excuses from you, Mr. Kim. When will you ever change, seriously?” He chides, but Jongin only pulls his chair closer to his desk and then plops his head on his table to sleep.

 

The rest of the girls in class giggles upon seeing Mr. Cha seethe in anger and say profane words in front of us because of the problem student, Jongin. This is what always happens almost every day, especially when Jongin decides to show up. It would have been better if he doesn’t just come to class at all since those are days when class is more interesting—with no one smelling like alcohol, looking so unkempt, and always sleeping next to me. I don’t hate Jongin, but I don’t like him too because of his bad record.

 

At least, homeroom goes on smoothly since he decides not to wake up for the whole period. The same thing happens in Math since Ms. Kang is so used to Jongin sleeping in class that she never minds him and pretends that he’s nowhere in the room. When the bell finally rings, my classmates immediately goes out of the room even though Ms. Kang is still giving out final reminders for the paper we are going to submit next week.

 

“Please submit them to the faculty room by Monday, 7AM sharp. I won’t accept late papers.” She says as she watches the students get out of the room without minding her.

 

When it’s just us in the room, I bow to her in courtesy when her gaze lands on me. She gives out a smile of gratitude because of this and goes out of the room still smiling. The thought o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter