2007

Memory

Memory

Nov, 18, 2015


2007
For every growing child, getting a shot is as horrifying as the dreadest nightmare one can ever imagine. Unfortunately for Soyun, to receive at least three times injection in a day was what had keeping her alive. She and Sojung was different—the younger didn't have Diabetes—thus, in a world they were born, Sojung was the epitome of normal. Then, comes one day where Sojung never see her sister cries, let alone complained in getting any of it.
"Unnie, does it hurt?" With strain voice, Sojung asked.
Flashing a small smile on her lips, Soyun faintly answer: "No."
For all the world, it was then Sojung realized how lies was created, as she also began to explicitly learnt the strings of hurt. Could have been different if her sister is like every other healthy kids in the world—that whenever it comes to smiling, it indicates anything but a tragedy. Every time Sojung saw Soyun getting her shots, she felt obliged to forcing out a smile, and it couldn't be more plastic, bitterly. To smile because someone is smiling for her—was more than a heartache, more than a memory.
* * *
During the old days, due to incompliance, Soyun was one well-known visitor in the hospital, however that day, a truism line was written in the sibling's heart of hearts. Every time got poke, Soyun cried. From throwing her princess-style's tantrums to the point of disturbing kids from other beds. And Sojung, with every single act that her sister did, she would follow mindlessly. It really didn't come as surprise that in the end, both of them get punished for turning the peaceful ward upside down.
“Look what have you done Soyun,” Placing both hands on her hips, the paeditrician Doctor Kim pointed a finger at Sojung, who was blubbering beside Soyun’s bed.
“Why can’t you set a good example for Sojung?” Doctor Kim raised one brow and settled beside Soyun, all the while her gaze never left Soyun. “If you stop crying…Sojung will follow too.” She plaited at Soyun's head while another hand patted at the small of Sojung's back.
When the thirteen year old Soyun stop crying, Sojung inherently stopped. As the older smiles, her younger sister emit a smile too. Soyun felt a warmth spreading in her chest, as if accomplished something brilliant. And so, ever since then, Soyun never cried—because of Sojung.
* * *
"Sojung..." Soyun called upon her younger sister. "What is that you're holding?" Toward the younger, a question was asked.
Sojung flashed a small smile as she turned to look at her sister with a jar of marshmallow in her embrace. "Mom said, if you having bad sugar attack...I'll have to feed this to you so you won't die..." The younger answered hurriedly. As if convincing herself, Sojung scrunched at her watered nose and nodded suggestively.
"Wh-What?" Soyung eyed on the younger disbelievingly. "What is that suppose to mean?" She waved at her to come closer so she could look at the jar closely. "Mom said, marshmallows can prevent you from dying..." Sojung inched toward her sister, still holding at the jar tightly. She recalled her mother's words couples of minutes ago when she briefly handed the jar to her: "Your sister can only eat this when she has bad sugar attack, arasso?" Madam Eun pinched the younger's nose as she smiled heartily at her.
"I rather die than having pokes at my belly every day!" Soyun pulled a face when Sojung won't let her touch the jar longer.
Right at that moment, Sojung’s shoulders fell. Her expression turned sullen. "Do-Don't die..." curved downwardly. "I don't want you to die!"
The minacious look on Soyun's face had vanished instantly as she saw a tear rushed down Sojung's rosy cheek. Little Sojung hopped toward her while hastily open the jar's lid, then she stretched out to Soyun. "I-I wi-will gi-give yo-you a lo-lot of marsh-marsma-marshmallows so...do-don't die!" Her hands trembled the moment she presented the jar to her.
"Stupid..." Soyun said faintly; Her sight shifted to the opened jar.
"Don't cry..." She held Sojung's hands as they stared into each other's eyes. "I won't die because you're giving me lotsss of marshmallow..." Her smile broadened as she spread an armful to illustrate the “lots” marshmallows.
Sojung sniffled on her sleeves after putdown the jar within the space between them. "You-You pro-promised?" She snapped back. The luminous eyes of hers wandered upon Soyun, looking for any clue of "yes" on her face.
"Open your mouth," Instead of giving her the answer she wanted to hear, Soyun figured out it would be better to act it out. Sojung looked up to her warily but she did what her sister asked her to. Soyun picked a piece of marshmallow and heaved a deep sigh.
"Eat this," A dimple flashed on her cheek as she inserted that piece of marshmallow inside Sojung's tiny mouth.
For the twelve year old Sojung, her sister’s wellness was all that mattered to her. Others might call it undying affections, siblings’ bond, pure love, overprotection, obligation...but for Sojung, it was everything mentioned, plus, her life. To make it happen, to make her sister happy—she would even put her life on the line.
But people change, don’t they? Back then, if only time had stopped, then perhaps everything could stay as prettily as in the picture.
MEMORY | 2015