Beyond The Boundary

The Place Where Flowers Bloom

In this world, there exists an unseen boundary. Beyond that, is what is known as the Outer Realm. Some may call it the Land of Gods, however the gods we humans speak of do not exist in the Outer Realm. They do not answer prayers or create miracles, they do not need worshippers nor offerings, but are simply immortal entities that came to exist and reside in that world. They are few in numbers, but live for eternity and each possesses some influence over the nature surrounding them.

Jeonghan's precious ring had fallen through to the other side of the boundary. He paces around, hesitant and unsure. Even though he deems it precious, there was no special meaning behind it. But it was a ring he has had since creation and something he’d had for so long and so close to him was not something he could just leave behind.

He glares reluctantly at the invisible line. Going into the human realm was never part of his interest, but the one day he does think about it, this happens. He is convinced that it is a bad omen and never again, will he think of something so foolish.

“I’ll just go and come back… It shouldn’t take long.”

Grumbling, he shuts his eyes tightly and lifts up his leg to step forward, not anticipating what he will see as he slowly crosses the boundary.

 


 

Thud!

A boy was sitting besides a large tree taking shade from the afternoon sun. He was peacefully strumming on his lute when suddenly, a foreign sound interrupts him. He looks up from his instrument, spotting something gleaming in the grass clearing before him. Curiously, he gets up to investigate the small shining object. As he bent down to pick up the item, a strong wind came whisking through, promptly knocking him off his feet.

THUMP!

“Ow!” Jeonghan groans, “of all places it could have led to, it just had to be on top of a tree?!”

He gets up patting away whatever leaves and dirt that got on him. It didn’t take long for him to realize that there was a weird sensation beneath his feet. Looking down he notices himself standing on something he shouldn’t...at least he doesn’t think he should.

“A human?”

He quickly hops off the unconscious being that was lying on the ground, flat on their face, and squats down to observe them. From the corners of his eyes he notices something familiar in the human’s hand.

“Ah, that’s my ring!”

He snatches the ring from the boy and inspects it for any damage before putting it on his right pinky finger. Having accomplished what he was there for, the god prepares to head back to the Outer Realm. As he heads towards the gateway to the other world, he halts and pauses, looking back at the human still laying there. 

“He’s not dead is he?” Jeonghan questions.

He’s heard that humans were fragile creatures so maybe the impact was too much. He heads back over towards the body, this time rolling them over and laying them on their back. To his shock, the human was surprisingly pleasant looking; he had a well defined, angled face decorated with a small round nose and plush curved lips. Soft ginger hair swept across his forehead, leading to his eyes, which were shut, but Jeonghan could tell just from the shape that they were beautiful. Surprised, Jeonghan notes that the human’s beauty was not below that of the ethereal gods of the other realm.

Jeonghan gently wipes the dirt and grass off of the boy. He leans in close to his face while putting his hand on his chest and listens. To his relief, the human was still alive, still breathing and his heart still beating. Being so close, Jeonghan could feel that the human’s body was warm and tender, he almost couldn’t pull away. Fascinated, he decides to stay behind, telling himself that he just wanted to make sure the boy didn’t die afterwards. He didn’t want to feel any guilt.

 


 

A gentle spring breeze blew, carrying soft pink petals across the sky.

“So sweet…” Jisoo mumbles as he shifts his position, snuggling into a sweet scented warmth.

Warmth? Instantly, he widens his eyes, unexpectedly finding himself meeting an unworldly beautiful person lying besides him. They had a sharp, but delicate face; a pair of crystal clear round eyes lined with luscious lashes gazed at him. Pretty pink lips curved up into smile as strands of long, flowing silver locks fell across their gorgeous, elegant features. Jisoo froze, mesmerized; his breath caught in his throat.

He watched in awe as those pretty lips parted, delivering an angelic voice.

“So you’ve finally woken up.”

The mistified boy snaps out of his daze and shifts his gaze, shooting up, quickly trying to gather his composure only to find himself shocked again as he witnesses the scenery before him. He frantically glances at his surrounding. It was familiar yet so different from how he remembered. The tree above him that was once green was now covered with cherry blossoms and pure, white cosmos flourished across the previously plain grassy field.

The beautiful person sits up beside Jisoo, confused and concerned. “Are you okay?”

Attention darting back to the gorgeous being, Jisoo jumps but loses balance and stumbles back on his buttocks. Seeing someone this beautiful up close was not good for his heart.

“Uh y-yeah?” He unintentionally stutters.

Jisoo was confused. Where was he? Could it be that he’d died and went to heaven? The person before him could actually be an angel too.

“Am I dead? You’re not an angel, are you?”

Jeonghan watched the human’s strange actions in amusement and stifles a laugh.

“Angel?” He snorts “No, I’m a...” he pauses for a second “a human. Just like you.” He lies through giggles.

After all, humans do not need to know what he is.

“My name is Jeonghan. Don’t worry, you’re still alive!” he assures.

The pause had Jisoo suspicious. It was hard for him to believe that he wasn’t dead right now with everything around him so different. He decides to confirm by pinching himself, yelping at the pain before letting out a sigh of relief. Maybe this Jeonghan guy was telling the truth. He looks back at him again.

“Uh sorry about that, I’m Jisoo.” He shyly introduced himself, straightening up and tidies his clothes.

“Do you know where this place is?”

“Huh?” Jeonghan was puzzled, “You were here before I came.”

He approaches the boy and holds his face, inspecting it from side to side. “Did you lose your memory or something?”

Jisoo tensed up at the sudden contact, flustered and blushing to the tips of his ears. Too close! He thinks and uses all his will power to pull away.

“No, I don’t think I’ve lost any!” He responds. “It’s just, this,” he points at his floral surrounding, “it wasn’t like this when I came here.”

Jeonghan his head to the side, even more confused. “I don’t notice anything different.” He shrugs.

Jeonghan is a deity that had influence over the growth of plants, especially flowers. They bloomed for him wherever he settled. This was an occurrence in Jeonghan’s everyday life which he never found strange or ever questioned.

Jisoo sees that Jeonghan was clueless and thinks that maybe it had been like this before the pretty boy arrived. Maybe he did have a lapse in his memory? Maybe he had forgotten a little as he had hit his head quite hard? Jisoo shakes his head, dislodging the heavy thoughts and brushes it off as something minor. Releasing a heavy sigh, he gives up on the topic.  

“Hey, what’s that?” Jeonghan points.

Jisoo’s gaze followed, looking towards the the pear shaped instrument resting at the foot of the large tree.

“That’s a lute. You’ve never seen one before?” Jisoo asked, raising his eyebrows in surprise.

Lutes were pretty common instruments in this land. It was rare to find someone who didn’t know of them. Jisoo thinks to himself that maybe Jeonghan was from a region where lutes didn’t exist.

“Oh, what does it do?” The pretty boy asks innocently, getting up and walking towards the strange instrument. He gently plucks at the strings running vertically across the wooden body. A melodic sound resonates, startling himself.  

Jisoo chuckles at the other’s shock, thinking it was somewhat adorable.

“Do you want me to play it for you?” He offers.

Jeonghan turns around, face full of delight, and eagerly nods.

Jeonghan moves as Jisoo comes to sit besides him. The human positions himself with his instrument and begins strumming an unknown tune. It was beautiful; enchanting. Jeonghan folds up his legs and rests his head on his knees, peacefully swaying with the music. He thinks about how the Outer Realm was a beautiful place. So beautiful yet unappreciated. It was a silent, boring land. The only sound you would hear were the voices of gossiping gods echoing from afar. There was nothing like this in the other world.

Before long, the sun had began to set. Clouds scattered as rays of orange and pink penetrated the sky. Jisoo pauses as a flock of birds flutters past, reminding him how late it has gotten. He turns to look at Jeonghan, and silently chuckles. The pretty boy seems to have fallen asleep during their little music session. Jisoo reaches out to brush away a petal that had made itself comfortable on the silky locks.

At the feeling of the slight caress Jeonghan wakes up, half closed eyes staring blankly at the smiling human.

“Awake?”

“This time it’s your turn to ask huh?” The god teased while yawning. He arched his back and raises his arms to stretch.  

Jisoo laughs at the reference. “I have to go now.” He says, getting up and dusts his pants, slightly dejected. “Will we meet again?”

Jeonghan tilts his head and hesitates. “...Yeah.” he replies, witnessing the mortal’s face brightening with a wide smile.

“Then let’s meet here again! Tomorrow! Around the same time!” Jisoo gushed in excitement, running off before Jeonghan could say another word.

 


 

Standing in front of the boundary line just as he did the day before, Jeonghan ponders. Not long ago, he was determined to never head into the other realm again but now he is wavering. He didn’t have any good reason to cross this time, only a promise he made to a human boy. For the gods, a promise with a mortal meant nothing. He didn’t understand why he’d agree to meet Jisoo in the first place. After all, that realm was not a place he should dwell in. But before he knew it, there he was. Standing by the large tree again, eyes gleaming excitedly anticipating for the human boy’s arrival.