004

Untold Scars

The next day, me and Jungkook get to school by riding a school bus like usual. We get out of the bus and walk straight to the school gate and I am setting my phone into silent mode when Jungkook nudges my arm. I look up to see him pointing (with his cute mouth) to some place across the school gate. I do as he tells me to, throwing my gaze around us.

Right when I see the one Jungkook was pointing at, my gaze stops and is glued to it─I mean, him. I follow his moves with my gaze, totally getting interested at what I’m watching at.

“He rides a hover board to school?” Jungkook voices out with amusement after his shut his jaw up.

I don’t bother to reply to his question, not even bother to look at him beside me as I’m still in my own world, even though he has disappeared from the sight.

“Noona, you saw that? The transfer student was riding a hover board─to school!” Jungkook suddenly becomes this over excited that he even jumps slightly and grabs my arm, just to shake it, showing his excitement and amusement about Kento riding a hover board to school. Luckily, my phone is tightly held by my other hand, so it’s safe when he is busy shaking the other hand. This boy. Tch.

Smiling at Jungkook’s reaction, I then frown and say, “it’s not that big deal to be this over excited, dongsaeng. And by the way, does this school even allow us to ride that thing inside here?”

Changing 360  from happy to normal back, Jungkook only shrugs. I tilt my head to the side after I can’t see the sparkle in his his eyes like before.

“*Aigo… this kid. Are you that sad? Why are you so emotional all of a sudden?” I ask him with a teasing tone as I nudge his rib.

“Nothing…” Jungkook utters the word, before continuing, “I’m just jealous─I mean, I wish I could have that thing too. I’ve been having that kind of dream lately.”

Finally, he tells what’s in his mind that makes him that excited to see someone with a hover board. A sigh comes out of my mouth without me intentionally wanting it to happen. Slowly and carefully, I try to find a way to talk to him about what he said just now.

“You know, Jungkook. It’s not that easy to─” I was cut off by him.

“I know. Yes, I got it. It’s not that easy to achieve this kind of dream or desire. It’s not because of what we desire, but what we can afford─the money. We weren’t born from a wealthy family. Our parents work hard to take care of the family. So we have to try not to make it harder than it already is. Be an independent child since we’re little and a child that our parents can depend on when we’re grown up and success in life. That’s how we’re supposed to be, right?”

To be honest, I almost let out a tear while Jungkook is saying those words, those precious words ever. But I must not show the weak side of a sister to a strong little brother like him, so I hold the tears inside my eyes. I try to make my lips form a smile, a smile that indicates that I am strong, that I can be tough like what we always want to be─children who are tough inside out.

I nod. “Yes, that’s exactly how we’re supposed to be.”

After saying goodbye, we separate into our own way to get to classes and as I am heading to the class, my shoulder is hit by somebody which I guess it is unintentionally done. I pause and turn my head to the person who just hit me and with that, our eyes meet and they’re locked to each other. It’s about 5 seconds before the person breaks our staring and bows slightly at me as a nice way to say sorry.

I breathe in and that’s when I realize that back then, I was holding my breath without knowing. I’m suddenly losing into my thoughts and─

Uh-oh. My heart… is fluttering.

 


*sigh


 

“Yah, yah, yah!” Saeron calls me while knocking my table many times when I am scribbling something in my note book. We are having a 5 minutes break after a subject period, which was English.

“What is it?” without looking at her as I keep doing my work, I ask.

“Did you know a new thing about that new boy?” Saeron’s question doesn’t fail to make me pause and forget what I was about to write just now.

Kento. That name pops out in my mind for some reason. I spend a look to his seat beside me. Empty. He just went out of the class after Ms. Jung, our English teacher ended her lessons.

“Who? Kento?” Sungjae asks, getting amused by the topic Saeron is talking about. Yoojung also wants to join the conversation as she turns around, facing me who sits behind her and pays attention to the topic.

“Yes, who else? Ah... the thing is, he rides a hover board to school!”

As soon as Saeron finished her words, Sungjae makes a ‘tch’ sound.

“What? Isn’t it an interesting thing to talk about?”

Sungjae only lies his back to the chair and shakes his head with his bored face. “I also have one,” he claims and with that, he does not fail to make Saeron’s jaw literally drops onto the floor.

Pouting, Saeron faces her table back, same as Yoojung.

“Enough for the gossip. I’m sleepy. Oh, what period is after this?” he turns his head to me, asking me to answer his question.

“Not trying to make you feel lifeless, but… we’re having History,” I throws a sheepish smile to him.

Sungjae grunts and he quickly buries his face in his arms. I knew it. Sungjae… Sungjae…

Not long after that, Mr. Lee, our History teacher walks in. Our class representative, Kyungsoo stands up and we greet at Mr. Lee in unison.

“Okay, how is your morning?” Mr. Lee asks, chirping at us freshly.

I smile at our teacher’s actions. I look at Sungjae. I always think of the real reason why he doesn’t like History. To me, sometimes it is quite boring like how others claim it to be. But I don’t find it boring when Mr. Lee becomes the teacher. He always tries not to make History a boring subject ever.

“Guys, what do you think about having a team project?” Mr. Lee suddenly pauses his lessons nd asks us.

Some of us are whispering, feeling unsure whether it’s a good question or not.

“I think it can be good if the task is easy,” said Jimin. He gains his friend’s attention then.

Mr. Lee just smiles widely before clapping his hands three times to silent us.

“I’ve been thinking about it. There are 30 of you. I want you to have 3 members in a team, so overall, there will be 10 teams. Oh yeah, yesterday I’ve arranged the teams and you just have to listen. I’ll say you name, which team you’re going to be in and the members.”

“What?!” Jimin grunts annoyingly. We all know that he hates having a project team which is arranged by the teacher.

Mr. Lee starts calling out our name despite the chaos we are making. For the first time in this initially beautiful day, I sigh to myself. Not that I dislike being in a team project, but I am worried about the other members’ responsibility in completing the task given by the teacher. I seriously never mind about the hardness level of the task, instead I mind about the team work. Whether it’s good or not, to me, it depends on each member in doing the task.

“Sohyun…” I hear Sungjae calling out my name so I return his gaze, rising eyebrows. “I wish we  could be in a same group, but my name has been called, and guess who are the members?”

Not bothering to guess, I only keep my mouth shut and make a boring face, gaining a dark stare from Sungjae.

“Yoojung and… Jimin,” he tells.

“Oh you’ll get to be with Yoojung? Then that’s great because I know how she studies. Who is the other one? Jimin─what?!” I snap, making the startled Sungjae almost jumps up from his seat.

Jimin… Yoojung…

“You startled me! What’s with that loud “what”?! Aish!” Sungjae blabbers.

He doesn’t know anything about the fact that Yoojung likes Jimin.

“Nothing… nothing…” murmuring, my eyes dart to Yoojung’s back which is facing me. As much as I’m still processing my mind, I wonder how she is feeling right now.

“Next is Kento…” Mr. Lee’s voice gets me back to reality. My head automatically turns swiftly to my right side where Kento’s seat is. To my surprise, it is still empty.

“Oh? You’re back!” when I hear Mr. Lee says that, I throw a gaze to the front. There Kento is, walking into the class after bowing at Mr. Lee slightly. With his cold aura, with his cold face, and with his cold eyes, he gains the classmates’ attention (except mine) from when he enters until he sits on the chair.

Mr. Lee starts giving instructions to Kento which was not in the class back then, so that he would get better understanding. Not long after that, my ears catch some whispers between the classmates.

“I wonder who will be in his team. Just looking at his appearance just now made me shiver inside out.”

“I’ve been praying for minutes that we won’t be in the same team. I hope God hears me.”

“But come to think of it, what’s so wrong with him? Try to look at it from the bright side, babe. He might be cold outside but you never know…”

With a slow movement, I steal a gaze at him. I can see the side of his face, somehow like telling me that there is something not right after he heard all of those whispers from some loud classmates. I know he heard them. It’s just a small class after all. But is he only focused to Mr. Lee’s instructions that he doesn’t even have time to let those bad things disturbing him?

“Now is that clear?” asked Mr. Lee, just making sure of things so that it will be easy to continue.

Without saying a word, Kento gives a nod. His face remains the same expression─zero emotion kind of.

“Okay then. So your team members will be… let me see,” Mr. Lee pauses as his eyes scan the paper filled with our names.

A pang of uneasiness hits me all of a sudden. It can’t be… Aish! I quickly push the thought away.

“Do Kyungsoo!”

“*Ne, **seonsaengnim!” totally like a soldier’s, Kyungsoo’s voice fills the room and there is even the sound of echo. He seems like a lost child, almost falling from his seat. Some of his writing tools even drop onto the floor, causing them to produce a loud scattering sound. Good for him, he has succeeded in attracting full attention from his classmates and teacher.

We laugh out loud. It is funny of him. On the other hand, I think that it is a very cute side of Kyungsoo to become like that. I bet he must be really shocked after knowing that he would be in the same team with Kento.

“Okay, enough,” Mr. Lee stops us before continuing, “the other member is…” he pauses and looks around, before his gaze focuses on me. Me? “Yes, you! Jeon Sohyun!”

What?

“Sohyun!” I can clearly hear Saeron’s gasp. I’m sure she is staring at me with her big eyes, but as much as I am shocked right now, my mind goes completely blank and like a dumb girl, my face doesn’t show any emotion right now. Even the air feels so cold like we’re having a very strong winter. Everything around me feels so tight. I feel like drowning, gasping for air, but nobody can be there to save me.

The frightening situation does not last long when Sungjae, with his warm hand, clasping onto my left arm. I breathe in, only to realize that I’ve been holding my breath for quite a long while. My body which stiffens automatically relaxes.

Thanks, dude. Those words don’t escape my lips, instead they’re said by the way I stare at him. He smiles back. My pleasure. Then he pulls his hand away.

I take a look at Kyungsoo who is also looking at me. He smiles awkwardly at me before we break our gaze.

Mr. Lee starts giving each of the team titles to study about.

 


 *Yes, **teacher


 

The food looks so delicious and appetizing, but somehow I don’t feel like eating it. I have no idea why I feel like that. I just… feel like it. Even just touching it doesn’t come to my interest right now.

I sigh for the nth time. I look up, watching my two girlfriends as they are busy chatting while eating. For the first time ever, I feel like they are not even concerned about me. Come to think of it. Why do they ignore me right at this bad time? Why are they with themselves, being so deeply in their own conversation without even asking about my being silence? Why? Or is that just me and my imagination?

I look down again, staring at the food.

“You know what? You’re taking it too seriously,” I feel someone sitting beside me and when I look up to him, he nudges my arm. Sungjae.

I show no emotion. “What do you mean?” I ask.

Holding the chopsticks in his hand, getting ready to eat his food, Sungjae shrugs before answering, “Well… it’s kind of bothering to see you behaving like it’s not you. Since the moment Mr. Lee said your name. Is there something wrong with it─about the team work?”

I sigh. “I thought you already knew the moment you put your hand on my arm, about me being in a team with Kento. Wasn’t it like a way of comforting someone?”

As soon as I finished talking, Sungjae chuckles to himself. His reaction makes me furrow. What’s so funny about it?

“So… my guess was right after all,” he voices out, shaking his head.

“What?”

“So…” Sungjae rests his elbow on the table and turn to me. “You’re actually not okay with it? Can I ask why? Oh and before that, you only mentioned that new boy’s name, not Kyungsoo,” instead of answering my question, he asks me back,

His question is leaving me dumbfounded. What should I suppose to answer?

“Huh? Oh… I…” for no definite reason, I am speechless.

Sungjae suddenly my shoulder and throws a small smile─an understanding smile.

“It’s okay if you can’t. Just… I hope that you’re not influenced badly just because of it. He is weird─a fact that I won’t deny to myself. Remember? We just talked about it yesterday night─or was it morning?" Sungjae pauses.

I make my famous poker face before replying, "morning. 3 a.m."

"Oh. Hehe," he grins sheepishly, then the grin disappear when his face turns to a serious one. He continues, "But anyway, maybe you can get along with him, as long as you try to be professional. I’ve always known you, Sohyun,” he says, and the words keep ringing inside my head after that. They make me mentally nod and finally gain my spirit back.

“Now, eat before the food cools down. You have gastric and you’re aware of it. Silly girl,” Sungjae shakes his head, ruffling my tidy hair to make it into a mess. His action causes me to complain peevishly.

Not long after, Sungjae stands up and takes his food tray before walking away, heading back to his clique that is eating not far from where I sit. Peniel makes a small hand wave to me as soon as his eyes land on me.

I watch Sungjae from afar, a meaningful smile plasters on my face. I get it. He wanted to comfort me with his usual encouraging words.

“Okay! I got this!” I mutter to myself before taking the chopsticks and begin eating.

On the other hand, Saeron and Yoojung stare at me without my knowing, smiling thoughtfully.

We already knew he would come. Sometimes you don’t need us, Sohyun.

 


 

Hey, uhm… sorry for bothering but it’s regarding the team work. So… how should we start?

I stare sharply at the small note in my hand, contemplating on whether I should pass it or not. My feet are tapping the floor. I am biting my bottom lip while my other hand is rubbing my neck. That’s what I do every time I am in deep thoughts.

Ugh. This is so hard!

Never mind. I’ll just give him this note.

Just as I’m about to hand the small note to that guy (Kento), a sudden thought comes.

But why must a note? Why don’t just talk to him? Are you even mute?

Wait what?

Grunting, I facepalm and buries my face into my arm. When I slowly take a look at his seat, he is playing with his phone. I wonder what’s in his phone at this messy time. Gaming? Typical guy, I see.

When I look down to the small piece of note that is still safe in my hand, I get shocked because it’s like a poor piece of paper only waiting to dispose any soon. Without waiting any longer, I tear it apart and find another piece of paper. My hand quickly reaches for a blue ball pen.

I begin scrabbling.

The team work. How should we start?

Without taking any peep at him, I put the note on his desk, slowly and safely before staring straight to the front. From my side view, I can see Kento looking up to his table top, staring at the note I just gave him.

Please read. Please reply.

Oh! I see him taking his pen and he starts writing back in the note!

A few seconds after, a hand places the note in front of me, while I am waiting for it to come. Like being in a rush, I quickly read through it.

What do you mean?

What. Is. This.

I swear, I swear, I swear I almost scream as soon as I read his reply.

What? Do you think I’m talking about Justin Bieber’s song right now? Geez.

Wait. I’m not supposed to think about JB’s song right now, am I?

I dart my eyes on him─the guy who is still playing with his phone with poker face!

Come to think of it... 

"But anyway, maybe you can get along with him, as long as you try to be professional. I’ve always known you, Sohyun,” Sungjae's words once again hit my head.

Are you sure? Are you REALLY sure?!

I bite my bottom lip even harder than before─holding the anger inside and thinking at the same time, start thinking of something. I need to do something. I have to.

 



A/N: Hi. Am I late? I am too busy. Err... Apologize? Hehe.

Anyway, what d'ya think? I think this chap is still lame, just like other chaps. and I hate that. Ugh x( 

To write a non-lame chap, I think it's still work in progress. I cannot rush in writing this story because this is like a sad story and to be honest, I am a bad writer when it comes to writing a sad story, but a good reader when it comes to reading one. So... my point is, bear with it. XD

Can I ask you a favor? Please not expect me to update oftenly because I am a hella busy person. :(

P/S: There's a new story of mine on Wattpad (yes, I repeat, Wattpad), staring EXO Kai and the EXO's former member, Luhan. But I'm still contemplating whether I should move it to Asianfanfics or just write it there. It still hasn't started yet though, tbh XD

So dear lovely readers/subscribers, can you please check it out? Here is the link:

https://www.wattpad.com/myworks/66747669-obsessed

After done, tell me whether I should move it and continue writing it on Wattpad or Asianff. Thank you. I appreciate your effort. 

 

Xoxo,

PinkBlossom_97

 

Introducing Mr. Lee. Yes our Lee Pilmo x)

 

Whuttt? *picks nose*

Ma bae *dances all my heart out*