001

Untold Scars

Sohyun’s POV

The sound of alarm clock wakes me up right away. I rub my eyes, still feeling freaking sleepy. Damn long holiday made me turn into a lazy student when I already was one before. So when school days start again in the new year, I think I will need a few more weeks to really feel like a real student. It takes time, you know.

My phone’s ringtone makes me quickly my bed and grab it from the bedside table. After I’m aware of the caller, I press the green button.

“Hello─”­­­­­­­

“Yah Jeon Sohyun!” yelled the caller over the phone, making me whine as I bring the phone away from my ear, just to keep it safe. I don’t want to ruin my eardrum just because of this guy’s high pitch.

“What?”

“I’m already at the bus stop and why I can’t see any sign of you here?”

I rub my eyes for the nth time. Sleepy feeling, go away!

“I’ll be there soon. Relax. Hmm okay then. Bye.” We hang up. I storm into the bathroom after grabbing my light orange towel. Yeah, I love orange colour.

A few knocks on my bedroom door come as soon as I have finished fixing my curly hair bang. My head turns to the door as it is opened by someone and my one and only brother’s head pops out. He is smiling sheepishly at me, giving me the feeling to smile too. My lips curve up into a sweet morning smile which I never forget to give him everyday specially in the morning.

“*Noona, let’s go! Unless you want to be late?”Jungkook sounds cheerful. He walks away, leaving me inside my room after I reply, “Eoh. Just a moment.”

My eyes stare at the mirror back. “Okay, Jeon Sohyun!  It’s the third day and you got to show the best output from you! Let’s go,” I say to myself before grabbing the bag and phone.

“You’re going to be late, kids!” I can hear our mom’s voice from upstairs, so I fasten my steps to downstairs. My mom hands a glass of milk to me and I drink it fastly while my other hand trying to reach a piece of toast on the plate. Before I even barely touch any piece of those toasts, Jungkook grabs my hand, forcing me to put the glass back onto the table and follow his fast steps. Whoah, he is racing.

“Jungkook, I’m hungry!” I whine and when I’m about to drag Jungkook back into the house, a piece of toast is sticked in my mouth by him.

“You need energy,” Jungkook smiles to me as I’m chewing the food.

Thanks, **dongsaeng. I thank him inside my heart as we walk to the nearest bus stop.

 


*older sister/female called by younger brother/male, **younger sibling


 

“Hey dude!” someone from behind attacks Jungkook with a headlock. When I hear Jungkook’s whining, my right hand sends a soft smack on the male’s shoulder.

“Don’t do that to my brother, you brat!” I show a fist to Sungjae, the boy who is doing the headlock to my Jungkook. My best male friend. I’m not that angry, though. You can see that I’m trying to hold myself from bursting into laughter. I love them both. They’re my lights, my knights in shining armours.

As soon as I take back my fist, Sungjae turns to look at me. His smile grows even wider. Try not to laugh,Sohyun. I warn myself.  This boy sure has sense of humour inside out. Even that kind of smile can make you laugh. It might come from the duck looking lips of his.

“Then...” Sungjae pauses as he leans to me. “…should I do it to you instead?” He still plays around when he says that and even raises his arms, getting ready to lock my head. Glad I’m faster than him.

“God, no!” I holler as I quickly avoid him by moving a little far from him. Jungkook can be seen chuckling like he is the happiest person in the world.

Sungjae just laughs without going after me, instead he goes back to Jungkook and gives a shoulder hug tightly. They always do this kind of skinship or affectionate hugging and touching like they are some kind of gay couple. But it’s more likely for them to look like blood related siblings than a gay couple. Euww I could not imagine anything worse than that, if they were a real gay couple. If it was true, I swear to death I’d be the first person to object their relationship!

Okay what am I thinking?

Just after our feet step onto the school hall’s floor, the school bell rings and I fasten my steps toward the stairs on the left. Then someone, no, two persons wrap their arms around my shoulder. Well, guess I know who they are so I won’t have to take a look. It’s my best female friends, Kim Yoojung  and Kim Saeron.

“Morning, Sohyun!” they greet at me cheerfully.

“Morning!”

I see Jungkook being hugged and dragged by his group of friends which they call BTS and which I don’t want to dig more about it. They are the ones who often come by our house when our mom is busy taking care of her boutique till late evening. Sometimes they come when our mom is at home, but rather than making chaos (boys always do some kind of stupid things when they are together, at least in my opinion), they will help my mom set the table for dinner, do the dishes and after that they will watch a movie together before leaving.

Oh I still remember the one who always help my mom in the kitchen, making dinner. It’s Jin, same age as mine but not a classmate. I admit, once ago I was attracted by his charm but it wasn’t some serious feeling, rather it was a type of admiring someone. I respect him a lot because he respects me as Jungkook’s sister and as a girl. He also likes to help me cut the vegetables and fruits and arrange them in a tray, yeah that’s my job when my mom needs me while she cooks.

On the other side, I can see Sungjae’s friends group running to him as he walks pass me. Minhyuk taps his shoulder while Peniel, a transfer student from Canada pulls Sungjae’s bag closer to him and drags him along with the other members. They are BtoB, the closest to Sungjae like brotherhood.

“Did you watch yesterday’s drama?” Yoojung’s question brings me back to reality.

I take a look at her cute eyes. “Yeah. It was cool,” I nod.

“I seriously love angst drama but the latest episode made me wonder what would happen next,” Saeron tells us.

Girls. Dramas. “Girls and dramas cannot separate” is a fact, to be honest. I bet 90% of us spend our time watching dramas whether it’s online or in the television.

“Yeah, but I don’t think the guy has yet done with handling his family conflicts so it’s a long way to go to their deep romantic moments, don’t you think?”

“Hey,” I cut their conversation off. “Why don’t we stop chatting about unnecessary things first? We’re in school, beware!”

“Okay!” they exclaim in unison before we the trio step into the homeroom.

 


 

It’s recess and we’re bragging about how we spent our holiday and the topics often change from one to another. That’s how girls are.

“You know what?” Saeron voices out after chewing some peas. Her eyes go to me and Yoojung who are enjoying our food. “I had the most uncool school break ever,” she said with an I’m-so-not-feeling-good face.

“Why?” I ask, still chewing on my food. Don’t mind me. I have this kind of like “rushing” attitude. I walk fast, chew fast and I even speak fast. I can kill two birds with one stone, you know. This is called bragging?

“My parents went to Okinawa for their nth time honeymoon while I was left alone at home. It was boringly peaceful but then my aunt came over our house just to ask me to baby sit my nephews. They are triple twins and I have to admit, they are freaking noisy and naughty!”

We hear Yoojung’s giggles in the end of Saeron’s words. Saeron shoots an I-feel-like-killing-you gaze to Yoojung, resulting the cute girl to stop giggling.

“What? I can say, I’m glad too hear that,” Yoojung jokes around and continues giggling, aware of Saeron’s killing gaze given to her.

I cleared my throat. “You should not say things like that, Saeron. You know, we’ll be wives someday in the future and we can’t not expect our husbands to not wanting even a child in the family. It’s normal. And yeah, most people who aren’t used to kids will be awkward at their first meeting or contact with kids so just bear with it. You’ll totally love them and they’ll love you back if you are sincere.”

Hearing those words I just let out of my mouth, their eyes dart on me as they gasp. They are surprised by what I just said. Seeing how they react, I bet they are very surprised. But anyway, is it weird?

“Wow, Jeon Sohyun! You are giving a speech about marriage?” Saeron sounds surprised like it was some kind of bizarre.

I raise an eyebrow. “A speech? What? Do you not agree with my words? If you don’t, then just shut─” before I can even finish my words, I feel a few of soft taps on my shoulder, coming from behind me. It must be someone who wants to interrupt in my life. My head makes a quick turn to the person behind me. Somehow, a moment later, as soon as my eyes meet his face, I unconsciously bite my tongue. Ouch.

Without saying a word, he hands me a small piece of note. When I read the note, it says, “Do you know where the teachers’ room is?”

My gaze turns to him, he is not looking into my eyes. Very shy, I guess. But his lips look so attractive with that kind of awkward smile Then I just realize that he is sitting all alone in a table. Oh, new student. No friends. I turn my head back to my friends.

“Girls, give me a moment. Emm no, I’ve finished eating. I need to help this new guy guide him to the teachers’ room. You both go on and don’t wait for me. Go straight to class after you finish, okay?” I take my food tray after they give a nod. As soon as I come back without the food tray, my palm taps the table where the male is sitting. My lips curl into a smile as I ask him to follow me.

He doesn’t look like Korean, I thought while walking with him side by side.

“Here!” I cheerfully voice out as soon as we step in front of the teachers’ room. I expect him to say “thanks”, but all he does is bows at me and enters the teachers’ room straight away. Wow.

“Heh. What kind of attitude is that? It seemed… very… formal?” at first there is an unsatisfied feeling bugging me, but I think of it in a more positive way. “Well, at least he bowed at me. Right?” I shrugged to myself before I start walking away to the class for another period.

Someone calls my name when I reach the class. At that moment, I’m throwing a gaze at Sungjae’s seat. Empty. He’s still not entering the class? My friends are already in the class.

“Yes?” I exclaim as my eyes dart to the caller of my name. Right now a weird scene is filling in the sight of my eyes.

“Jeon Sohyun!” Kyungsoo, my classmate who is also a member of a gang called EXO calles again (for your information, there are a lot of gangs in our school which are mostly boys). His smile is wide. I smile too─how can I say? I just love to smile and whenever someone smiles at me, I’ll smile back. Moreover, Kyungsoo is such a cutie.

But what catches my attention the most is what’s happening in the background, behind Kyungsoo, there are Jongin and Suho and someone else, I’m not able to see his face because he is struggling to let himself escape their headlocking game. I guess he’s taller than those naughty members but he is automatically a loser when there’s 2 against 1. Poor him.

“He likes you!” I heard Kyungsoo said that to me which makes me puzzled for a moment. My forehead wrinkles, trying to get what he means.

“Aish this girl,” Kyungsoo lets out a tch sound. He then steps backward to where Jongin, Suho and the struggling member are standing before tapping the struggling member’s shoulder. He says playfully, “Hey, I told her you like her!” He laughs and does high five with Jongin and Suho. The other member avoids looking at me, trying to hide his face from my sight.

Uh… okay.

 


 

“Yah, Sungjae! Are you listening?” I pout when Sungjae still buries his face in his arm. Sleeping again!

A moment later, our Maths teacher enters the class. Mr. Kim. We stand up and greet at him and I’m about to sit back in my seat when my eyes catch someone standing outside the classroom. Not even trying to find it out, I open my book and start paying attention to Mr. Kim.

“Kids, I have good news!” Mr. Kim exclaims as he claps his hands.

Everyone in the class starts looking at each other and raises eyebrows. Yoojung and Saeron who sit not far from me throw a look at me and I just give them a shrug before turning my head to the left, staring at the awake Sungjae. Oh right. It’s Maths period and he doesn’t sleep when it comes to Maths. When he looks at me, I rolled my eyes and pout. A giggle can be heard from him.

“You are going to have a new friend!” told Mr. Kim. His lips part to form a wide smile as his eyes observe our reactions. “Kento, come in!”

Everyone’s eyes are focusing on the front door, waiting for the new student to come in, except for Sungjae. He doesn’t seem to care about it though.

“Oh my goodness!” I hear a gasp coming from Saeron as she slaps Yoojung in the arm. When they are busy staring at the newcomer, I am busy staring at her reaction. Her face seems bright as if she just saw something exciting. I guess? I quickly look at the new student.

“Huh!” I also gasp as soon as the new student’s brown eyes land on me. Brown eyes, pinky lips, full eyebrows with hair covering the forehead, fair skin, tall nose, tall, normal weight. “Oh wow.”

Good looking new student? A small smile is filling my lips.

 



A/N: So here he comes, the new student of the year lol. Who do you think the one who is said to like Sohyun when she's looking for Sungjae?

Not gonna say much. I'm sleepy. Bye. *waves hand*

 

Our Mr. Kim! - Kim Kwang Kyu