002

Untold Scars

Brown eyes, pinky lips, full eyebrows with hair covering the forehead, fair skin, tall nose, tall, normal weight.

"Oh wow!" I unconsiously gasp as my gaze meet the newcomer's eyes. Well, he is the one who is staring at me right this moment. I throw a small smile at him, but the smile goes without response when he looks away from my eyes. I freeze in my seat.

It's not just me who is surprised. All girls' faces in my class show that kind of feeling when I watch their responses. Boys are totally the opposite. They whine, cross their arms and roll their eyes. My head turns to the left, trying to take a look at Sungjae's reaction. He is staring at the trees outside the classroom. The wind blows coolly making tree branches at the school field dance to the right and left as if they are waving at us. I wonder what he is thinking right now.

"What are you waiting for, new student? Introduce yourself!" we hear a voice asking the new guy for an introduction. I search for the voice and it turns out it's Jimin's voice. He's one of BTS. I know him from Jungkook─his personality of course. We don’t talk often in the class but when we have a group discussion and I happen to be in the same group as him, he is always playful but to be honest, he is a smart boy. Maybe he just doesn’t want to look nerd.

"Yeah, we want to know you!" agrees one of the classmates. It's a girl. And guess who it is?

"Saeron!"Yoojung gives Saeron a shocked reaction. She slaps Saeron in the arm only to see Saeron smirks at her before giving thumbs up at Jimin who sits beside her, separated by a small walkway. She somehow doesn’t bother to look at her right where Jimin’s seat is. She just doesn’t have the courage to. Well, you can guess why.

Yoojung has this kind of interest towards Jimin. What do they call it? The tingling feelings she has everytime she is around Jimin. Crush? Yes she has a crush on Jimin. And I’m being honest. I am not used to that kind of thing. I know I’m already 18 but hey, it’s not a must have thing right?

I giggle at my friends' action. Then I look at the one who should be focused right now. He is staring at Mr. Kim before our teacher gives a quick nod with a smile. They are probably having a silent conversation. I watch him turning back, facing the whiteboard. I am  wondering what he is going to do as he takes a blue whiteboard marker on the teacher's table and opens the cap.

"Hey, what is he doing?"

"I don't know. I think we should watch till the end."

"Is he not planning to greet at us and introduce himself, just like typical new students do?"

"I know right?"

There are many voices whispering around me. I ignore them, trying to focus on the new student. He slowly raises the marker and writes on the whiteboard. "Yamazaki Kento", he writes before turning back to face us. And that's when the class  goes all quiet. You can even listen to the sound of wind blowing and lizard squeaking on the ceiling─okay, it’s just an expression.

Sungjae is turning his head to me when I do the same. We are looking at each other but nothing comes out of our mouth. I know he is only now interested about this new student just by looking at his reaction.

Yoojung knocks on my table for three times. "Don't you think he's a bit weird?" she asks.

I shake my head. "I don't know!" I say, but my hearts says, "well, I'm not sure."

Come to think of it. Normally when there is any new student coming into any school and being asked by the classmates for an introduction, they will just speak up and that’s easier than to write your name on the whiteboard─without making any voice.

But that’s not just what I thought. Other classmates may seem puzzled by the way he introduced himself. But I am way more deep in unsettled thoughts when I remember the first time we met─it was less than 30 minutes ago─when he handed me a small note asking if I know where the teachers’ room is. Then we went all silent on our way to the teachers’ room, which I HAD to admit that the surrounding at that time felt so awkward─the air felt cold like there was some iceberg blocking the whole hallway.

Aside from that, he didn’t even say thanks. I mean, he did thank me by bowing at me but was it really hard to say that simple word?

I let out a small sigh as I am brought to the moment he bowed at me in front of the teachers’ class.

“Oh… so that’s your name? What do we call? Yamazaki? Kento? Yama? Zaki? Ken? To?” after what feels like forever, there Jimin is again, making unnecessary joke like he always does. It brought us to laughter.

Sungjae smirks. Yoojung smiles tightlyto hold her laughter. Saeron goes “woohoo!” while clapping her hands. Sometimes she is like a diva and the other times she becomes someone whom we just need to make shut.

“Guys!” Mr. Kim cut off our laughter. “He said you can call him both. Yamazaki or Kento. If you want it to be simple, just call him Yama.”

It’s quiet again. There are certain students clearing their throats─Jimin is one of them─with this kind of wrinkled faces. Kyungsoo seems to be a bit uncomfortable by the new student─I should just call him Kento─when I see him rubbing the back of his neck. When he realizes that I am staring at him, his mouth cracks asheepish smile revealing his white teeth and pinky gum. I love it when he smiles like that. He has gummy smile and when he does, those heart-shaped lips appear.

“Weird,” Sungjae’s voice makes me turn to look at him. “The one who is supposed to tell that is not our teacher”─he pauses to land his eyes on me beside him (our seats are separated by a walkway, just like everybody’s seat in each class)─“but himself.”

I am taken aback by what my bestfriend says. Yeah, it is indeed true. He’s supposed to answer it instead of the teacher. But wait─

“Oh!” I gasp at my sudden thought, making Sungjae raises his brow. “Maybe it’s because he’s a Japanese!”

“Then…?” Sungjae asks me to continue.

Hearing that, I roll my eyes at him. “Maybe that’s the reason why he doesn’t speak to us. Maybe he doesn’t know how to speak Korean! Don’t you think?”

“Duh!”Sungjae rolls his eyes back─I think it’s for revenge because he used to say that he doesn’t like me rolling my eyes─at least not at him. “Hey, think properly. If he doesn’t know Korean, why the heck did he come to Korea─to our school?” he asks me back.

“Uhm.” I place my index finger onto my chin to think. Sungjae is waiting. “Maybe… maybe it’s because… he’s… mute!”

Once again, Sungjae rolls his eyes at me, getting annoyed by my answer. Hey, it is possible to be truth! Maybe Kento is a mute guy so that would be a perfect reason as to why we never hear his voice, yet. And hey–

“Sungjae, you’ve rolled your eyes twice at me so would you mind to stop it already? I mean─it’s not fair since you always told me not to roll eyes at you but you, yourself do it to me,” I blurt out in a not-really-angry tone.

“Yah! Is it important to talk about it right this moment? Hush. I’m getting more interested in this new student─what’s his name again?─yeah, Kento,” Sungjae places his index finger onto his unique lips, shushing me.

I scoff lightly with arms crossed on my chest. Then I hearPeniel’svoice─I forgot to mention that he’s in our class─filling the partly quiet surrounding of the class.

“So you’re a Japanese? Where do you come from?”

Sungjae looks over at Peniel’s back figure, his brother-like bestfriend who happens to sit two seats away from him at the front. “Just like what I thought I’d like to know,” I hear him muttering.

We are all waiting for the answer from Kento. There is no whisper like before. It suddenly becomes a serious conversation between the students and Kento─or just how it feels like.

Kento moves backward with two steps and just like a few moments ago when he was going to write his name on the whiteboard, he turns back, facing us with his back and begins to write the answer.

“Tokyo,” I hear Kyungsoo voicing out the word as Kento finished writing it.

Then the class becomes vice versa than before, not as quiet as what happened a few seconds ago when some of them─majority of them─start cheering with words like,

“Tokyo?!”

“Woohoo!”

“Gosh, seriously?”

“Like seriously?”

“Tokyo boy?”

“In our class?”

“In our school?”

“Whoah, there’s a Tokyo boy in our class! Our freaking class!”

“A freaking Tokyo boy in our freaking class at our freaking school in our freaking country which is freaking Korea!” I laugh at the kind-of-lame joke made by Jimin. You should be imagining how fast his tongue is while blurting out those “freaking” words in just one breath.

My laugh somehow stops when a thought comes rushing into my mind. I think this had happened long time ago─you know, this kind of cheering when they are surprised to have a foreign student as their classmate. Is this a déjà vu, or a memory? Oh wait I think─

“Wah… Peniel has to compete from now on. A competition between a Canadian, Peniel Shin and a Japanese, Yamazaki Kento,” says Sungjae, making me realize what it is that I had just thought about.

“This is surely going to be interesting, right Sungjae?” I smile at him, remembering the moment which happened literally three years ago. We were 15 back then when Peniel came like a lost looking new student heading to the administration office in 4th floor of school building. Oh, don’t ask how I know that─fine, I’ll tell you the story.

 

FLASHBACK

We were reckless young genes back then─when I say we, it means me and Yook Sungjae─to have our names being called by the principal. There was this time when I was eating at lunch time. Then some gangster looking boy trip a nerd boy’s leg causing the nerd boy to fall next to me. I was startled at first but because of my natural soft heart (I have to mention it so please do not judge), I got up and helped the nerd boy to stand. He said thanks to me before running out of the cafeteria. I could feel a death glare given by the gangster boy but not even bother to look over, I returned to my seat and continued eating─not forget to mention about Yoojung and Saeron sitting with me with a wow-you-did-so-well look.

After finishing my food, I was walking to put the tray back when suddenly the gangster─along with his two stupid friends─blocked my way.

“Is this the kind girl who helped him just now?” eyes darting on my face, he asked his friends. They answered a yes to his question.

Trying to stay as cool as ever though my heart was pumping rapidly, I showed a stoic face to them.

“Can you excuse me? I’m putting this tray.”

They the trio gave a smirk, not even listening to my words. It made my heart pumping increase its rapidity. Why? Why did it have to be me?

“Wah… despite your cute face, you sure have this kind of bravery inside you. You even helped our slave get up and let him go. Aren’t you scared?”

Hearing his silly question, I scoffed annoyingly. How stupid of him. I thought that was so unnecessary to ask that kind of question out of showing off yourself, and it’d be so not me to answer it, so…

“Rather than being scared of something that’s not needed to be scared of, I prefer doing something useful to have a proper life”─I paused as my eyes darted on his nametag─ “Cha Minjun,” I bravely called his full name as my eyes met his eyes. Oops. I regretted it as soon as I said it. I did not even know where I got the strength.

Cha Minjun narrowed his eyes, causing my body to tremble at his death glare. I didn’t realize that I had increased the fuel inside his burning heart.

“Something that’s not needed to be scared of?”Minjun quotes some words that I just said─the ones that made him mad.

I stayed quiet, but cursed myself for what I had done to my life. . . . I never thought before talking.

Just when I finished cursing, my head felt wet with some kind of liquid─it smelled like soup─falling down my forehead, temples and cheeks before I could feel it coming into my mouth, tasting like the soup we always eat during lunch, which I never liked so I always left it unfinished. Wait, what the─

“Yah, Cha Minjun!” some voice behind me shouted out as soon as Minjun put the empty soup bowl upside down on my head. I could not even move until somebody─probably the one who called Minjun─appeared from behind and sent an unexpected punch to Minjun’s face. Then my vision went blurry as tears were about to come out of my eyes. I was shaking vigorously, unconsciously falling down to the floor. I was weak. Weak.

“YAH!” a teacher screamed to make the boys stop fighting─punching and kicking─but that did not bring me to reality as I was in my own world.

Then I felt a presence of a boy beside me, attracting me to look down at him. Getting shocked, my eyes widened at the bloody face of the boy who had saved me from Cha Minjun, lying on the floor, looking exhausted. My tounge felt like it had been cut off because not even a word could I speak at that time.

“Hi, Jeon Sohyun!” the boy greeted me between his panting sound. I could see blood gushing out at the end of his unique lips, and as he parted his lips to crack a smile revealing his teeth, there was more blood. I gasped, not even bother to ask how he knew my name.

That was when the teacher called and brought us to the 4th floor, heading to the administration office. Since that scene, Cha Minjun and his stupid friends got expelled from our school. No, it was not because of what he did to me─just pouring some soup on me was not a big deal─but he already had many bad histories in his school record book, along with the other two friends.

From that moment on, me and Yook Sungjae─yes he was the one who saved me─became bestfriends. Peniel Shin, a new student who stepped into the principal’s office right at the moment we were interrogated was also our friend and he said that we were the first friends he met in this school and we met in an unexpected event so he claimed that he was lucky─for somewhat reason, I never knew. The principal instructed us to show Peniel the way to his class which happened to be my class. After I changed my into my PE shirt, we head to the class.

Peniel got so many attention by being a new student from Canada. Even Yoojung and Saeron didn’t notice that I was wearing PE shirt due to Peniel’s presence. Well they did notice it─after school.

Since then too, Sungjae moved into my class. You must be wondering about it. Actually, Sungjae is the son of our principal, Mr. Yook Dongryul. He explained how he could move into another class after begging his dad nonstop.Our start of being best friends. Wasn’t it cool?

END OF FLASHBACK

 

“You see the girl who’s spacing out at the back? Go sit at the empty seat beside her,” I snap back to reality when I heard Mr. Kim saying that out loud to Kento, in front of the students─saying that I am spacing out!

I freeze. God good. Now all eyes on me. I feel like stomping my feet with protest. Mr. Kim, you’re so annoying! I blurt out inside my heart. That’s Mr. Kim. He is so close to his student to the point where he always teases us a lot. God, we love him. He is a sporting teacher.

I am a bit angry, until I see Kento─with his eyes on me─sitting at an empty seat on my right. When I start returning his gaze, he starts looking away. Every time. I don’t even have a chance to exchange smiles with him. Looking down at my own intertwined fingers, I let out a sigh. Then Sungjae taps my shoulder. I raise my head and turn my eyes on him.

“Hey, what were you thinking about that he noticed you were spacing out?” Sungjae asks.

“Nothing,” I say, my lips shape into a small smile, before turning into a meaningful smile as I speak these words: “Yook Sungjae. *Gomawo.”

Looking taken aback by the sudden thanks from me, Sungjae freezes. I only let him be since I know he is supposed to be like that because I said it all of a sudden, without him knowing the reason as to what those words are for.

Then, Sungjae taps my head, making me whine in pain.

“Yah!”

“You know, spacing out is my job. I don’t know you can be expert in it too.”

“What? Seriously, Sungjae? Seriously?!”

Sungjae quickly puts his index finger onto his lips, shushing me again as I scoff lightly at his remark.

Mr. Kim starts his lesson. I quickly put my focus fully on the lesson. No time to space out or daydream since this is Maths, not History.

 


*Thank you (informal)


 

It is the end of school period when the last bell rings. Just like other students, I gather and put the books inside my bag, getting ready to get out of the classroom. As I sling the bag onto my shoulder, I take a look at Kento’s seat. I’m surprised to see that the seat is already empty. When I cast my gaze toward the back door, Kento’s back can be noticed as he is walking out of the classroom. His steps is not that faster, so I plan to follow him from behind. Wait, why am I thinking of following him?

Weird.

Well I don’t care. I suddenly feel the urge to follow him. There’s something I need to know about this mysterious guy. It’s not a sin if I do that anyway, right? Righ─

“Sohyun!” Sungjae’s voice calling my name startles me.

“What?” I frown without realizing.

Sungjae who seems to be a bit taken aback by the frown I made asks, “Whoah… do you have to make that kind of face?” I stiffen at his question but before I can reply, he continues, “Relax. I know you’re stressed. Chill.” He taps my shoulder softly. Great. Misunderstanding is not really a burden sometimes. I don’t have to think of an acceptable answer then.

“Our Jungkook must be waiting for us right now. Let’s go!” Sungjae says as he pulls me outside the classroom.

“Wait─” at first I wanted to stop him but I stop immediately when my brain starts to work well. What am I going to tell him─that I’m planning on following Kento? Then what will I say if he asks? Hmm that’s a no-no then.

“Why?” Sungjae asks, probably getting a bit confused by my weird attitude today.

To make it look less obvious, I just shake my head without making any suspicious face. “Nothing.”

Then we walk together to the bus stop. Sungjae asks me to tell him my story─any story as long as it is a story. So I just start opening my mouth to talk about how I was doing in last winter─aside from celebrating Christmas, I sit in my room most of the time (most exactly, in front of the computer and a diary which Sungjae knows well about it), went outside only when I wanted to take a walk, jog, go cycling, spend my leisure time in the nearest bookstore or help my mom buy groceries.

I get a bit mad when he says that my holiday was really boring. Just sitting inside the bedroom, reading and writing or watching dramas are so not his styles, according to him. He also says that he would rather watch the TV than doing what I did. The he asks─more like forces─me to listen to his own story. I make the famous annoying face of mine just to show him that I’m getting annoyed at him.

“You’re the one who asked─no─who forced me to tell you about my holiday. I told you that it’s something that’s not your cup of tea to listen to. Now you’re telling me that my holiday was boring, and then what? Bragging about your own story? Geez,” I blurt out as soon as he tells me to listen to his story.

“It’s not my fault, girl. Everyone has his own little story and every listener has the right to judge and comment. Geez, such a silly girl,” Sungjae doesn’t want to lose.

“Annoying!” I shoot back. But then I sniffen when suddenly I see a not-so-familiar figure in front of me, facing the road cross ahead, probably going to cross the busy road.

“Silly!” Sungjae’s voice goes in and out as my mind goes somewhere else. He notices the sudden change of me so he nudges my left elbow.

I step back into real world as I look up to my left side, to see Sungjae looking down at me, raising his brows anxiously.

“Are you… okay?”

“Huh?” I ask absent-mindedly but in a split second I quickly shake my head. “Nothing.”

We continue our walk to the bus stop with my eyes staring at the person who caught my attention back then. Sungjae doesn’t seem to notice that person as he keeps talking about his story.

Now I, myself wonder just how many times have I said the word “nothing” today.

 



A/N: How is it? Lame, isn't it? Haha.

Sorry again, for the short chapter.

Oh BTW, it's holiday for a week here. I live in Malaysia which is a multiracial and multicultural country. The Chinese here is celebrating their Chinese/Lunar New Year. Red monkey year. 

So, Happy Chinese New Year to all Chinese readers out there! May you get showered with luck and fortune! ^^

                                                                             

                                                                       

   

Current ultimate bias. PS: I've gone crazy over this freaking Kai. T.T