Chapter 5

One Night...And Forever

Shin-hye looked from her sister to Jong-hyun, there was something strange going on with them. 

"Do you two already know each other?" Joon-seo asked. He could practically see the sparks bounce off the both of them. 

Jong-hyun looked at Eun-ha as if to ask what his answer should be. 

"We've met before. It was a while ago. It's nice to meet you again Park Jong-hyunssi." Eun-ha said and sat down.

Shin-hye furrowed her brow as she contemplated. The realization hit her, this Park Jong-hyun was the Park Jong-hyun her sister slept with, the one who was the father of the baby her sister might be expecting. 

Jong-hyun felt a little angry at Eun-ha's choice of words but he held back. He remembered that they had only promised one night to each other, so he didn't have any right to anger. "It's nice to meet you again Seo Eun-hassi." He replied as nicely as he could. 

Shin-hye realized how uncomfortable her sister might be feeling, so she spoke up. "Joon-seossi, I think we should do this again some other time. I forced my sister to come out today even though I knew she wasn't feeling very well. It was insensitive on my part. I really had fun with you today, let's go on another date soon. Okay?" She said. She got to her feet and Joon-seo stood up immediately but Eun-ha seemed to be bolted to her seat, her gaze fixed on Jong-hyun's face. "Unni, jibae gaja." Shin-hye said, shaking her sister lightly to break her out of the trance.

"Ah neh. I wasn't feeling well earlier today but I came because Shin-hye said she had to introduce me to you Joon-seossi. I'm sorry I couldn't stay longer, I hope we can meet another time." She said and got out of her seat.  

Shin-hye grabbed her sister's hand as she spoke to Joon-seo. "Call me." She said and waved at him and left pulling her sister along with her.

Joon-seo sat down and noticed his friend watching Seo Eun-ha's retreating figure. "What was that about?" He asked.

"Remember a month ago I said I met a girl?"

"Yes?"

"That's her." Jong-hyun replied simply.

Joon-seo's mouth dropped open. "That's her? The girl that turned you inside out for an entire month, that was her? Seo Eun-ha?" 

"That's right. I've suddenly lost my appetitie, let's leave." Jong-hyun got up and walked out of the restaurant and Joon-seo followed him.

"So what are you going to do now?" Joon-seo asked as they approached his car.

"I'm not going to do anything." Jong-hyun said as they got in and Joon-seo started the car and drove.

"But, you've liked this girl for a whole month. She's right in front of you now, are you just going to let her go?" Joon-seo asked incredulously.

"She told me that she didn't want a relationship, she made it clear it was only supposed to be once." Jong-hyun replied.

"But that was a month ago, she might have changed her mind." Joon-seo reasoned.

"Didn't you see how she reacted today? It clearly didn't mean as much to her as it meant to me. I'm not going to chase after a girl that doesn't want me. No matter how much I like her, I have my own pride too." Jong-hyun replied with a tone that meant the discussion was closed and Joon-seo could do nothing but sigh and drive in silence.

 

"Unni, it was him, right? This Park Jong-hyun is your Park Jong-hyun."Shin-hye said as soon as they walked through their apartment door.

"He's not my anything, but yes it is the same one." Eun-ha replied.

"What are you going to do? Now that you know how to reach him, don't you think you should let him know about the baby?" Shin-hye asked following her sister into the kitchen.

Eun-ha downed a glass of water to cool her down. Even though they were coming from the cold outside, her entire body felt so hot as if she had just come out of a sauna. "Shin-hyeya, there is no baby."

"What?" Shin-hye was slightly taken aback.

"I got my period today, I'm not pregnant." Eun-ha repeated.

"Well, that's good news. Your face doesn't look like it's good news? Seolma, were you actually hoping you were pregnant?" Shin-hye asked. She couldn't figure out what was going on in her sister's head.

"It is good news, but I have to admit, a tiny part of me is disappointed that I'm not." Eun-ha confessed.

"Unni, what are you going to do about Park Jong-hyun?"

"I'm not going to do anything about him."

Shin-hye sighed an exasperated sigh."I like Joon-seossi, I want to date him seriously. You and Park Jong-hyun are going to be meeting each other often if possible, are you going to continue to be jumpy and awkward around him?"

"I understand how you feel, but I don't know why I'm so unsettled. I was the one who told him to kiss me, I told him we would only be together for one night, but why am I the one feeling awkward? I should be cool about this." She said, her exasperation matching her sister's.

"Maybe you need to see him one last time and clear the air. Lay it all on the table and define your relationship." Shin-hye suggested. 

Eun-ha sighed and had to admit her sister was right. She had to define their relationship so that she didn't make a fool of herself when next she saw him.

 

Jong-hyun and Joon-seo arrived home amidst silence. When they entered the apartment, Jong-hyun spoke. "I found a place and I've paid the down payment. I'm moving out on Wednesday. We will begin shooting on Saturday next week and the location is closer to my new place than here."

Joon-seo nodded. "I guess it's inevitable that you have to go. I was hoping you would take some time but if it's more convenient for you, then you have my blessing."

"Thank you for letting me stay with you all this time, I really appreciate it. I'm going to mention you in all my interviews."Jong-hyun said with a smile.

"You make sure you do that." Joon-seo replied with a smile.

 

Jong-hyun moved into his new apartment as planned on Wednesday and he went for his first shoot on Saturday. He was on standby waiting while So-yeon and the other actor shot their scene. The movie was a thriller about a man whose wife is being stalked by a lover from her past and the man would stop at nothing to protect his wife. He was playing the role of the husband. He sat on a chair, wrapped in a blanket, sipping coffee and practising his lines when Shin-hye approached him. "Annyeonghaseyo." She said.

"Ah neh, annyeonghaseyo. How have you been?" He asked, setting aside the script and giving her his attention.

"Well, I've been good as can be. Are you comfortable? This is your first time shooting for this long, right?" She asked.

"Neh. It's a bit new but I'm really excited. I've been waiting for this for a long time." He replied with a smile.

"That's good. Er, I wanted to apologize for the way we left so suddenly the other day. It's just that something sudden came up."

"I understand. No need to apologize." He said. He heard the director call cut and realized that it was time for his shot. "It's my turn." He said by way of apology.

"Ah neh, please go. Fighting!" She called out to him as he left. She took out her phone and sent a text message to her sister."We won't finish shooting till around dawn, I'll see you tomorrow morning." It read.

"I've decided. Please help me get his number so I can give him a call." Eun-ha replied. 

When Jong-hyun finally finished his shot after the third take, he returned to the chair he was sitting on, Shin-hye was still there. 

"Erm Jong-hyunssi, May I please have your number? My sister has something she wants to discuss with you." Shin-hye said.

Jong-hyun clutched his phone tight, he wondered what it was Eun-ha wanted. He hated it that his heart raced at the thought of talking to her. He put his hand out for Shin-hye's phone and entered his number into it. She immediately texted it to her sister, and just as if she had been waiting to receive the message, Jong-hyun's phone rang. Shin-hye decided to move away to give them some privacy.

"Yeobseyo." Jong-hyun said.

Eun-ha her breath in. His voice was even deeper over the phone. "Neh, Seo Eun-haibnida."

"Eun-hassi." Jong-hyun said. 

"When do you have time to meet me?" She asked.

Jong-hyun thought about it. "After today, we aren't shooting again until Thursday, but I have another schedule to go to on Wednesday, so Tuesday?"

"Okay, Tuesday at five thirty since I get off work at five. Is that okay with you?" She asked.

"Fine. But I don't like to go out on my days off so you're going to have to come to my house." Jong-hyun said. Eun-ha went silent for a few moments and Jong-hyun wondered if she was still there. "Seo Eun-hassi, I'm not a wolf that's going to eat you up if we are left alone together. That one time was because we were drunk and because of reasons."

Eun-ha felt her heart hurt at his comment. "Fine, text me your address and I'll see you then."

"Alright. Good night."

"Good night." Eun-ha replied and hung up. 

Jong-hyun sighed and leaned his head against his phone. The first step towards cleaning up his feelings had begun and it was more painful than he ever imagined it would be.

Eun-ha scrunched up her nose, "Mwo 'because we were drunk and because of reasons'? Nappeun nom." She said. She sighed, "Why is he a bad man? This is what you wanted, right?" She asked herself. She got into bed and tried to get some sleep that night but sleep wouldn't come easy.

On Tuesday, she left work at exactly five and gave the address to a taxi driver. Before long, they arrived at a high rise apartment building and she walked into the elevator and pushed the button for the eighth floor. She came to the front of apartment 805 and paused for a moment. She contemplated turning around and just leaving, but she steeled her resolve and pushed the doorbell. No one answered. She pushed it a second time and still nothing and she was beginning to wonder if he made her come all this way when he knew he wouldn't be home. "Surely he wouldn't do such a thing." She said to herself. She pushed the doorbell again and just when she was about to turn and leave, the door opened. She came face-to-face with him. He had just got out of the shower and was wearing a thick black bathrobe. She clutched the hand of her bag tightly and stared at him.

He leaned against the door frame and folded his arms across his chest. "Well, are you going to come in?"

Eun-ha steeled her courage and greeted him with a polite smile. "Annyeonghaseyo" and then she walked into his house.