Chapter 2

One Night...And Forever

Jong-hyun stirred slightly and opened his eyes, the sun was just starting to come out over the horizon. He blinked twice, trying to figure out where he was. He felt something brush his chest and looked down and saw a head of dark brown hair. He immediately remember where he was and who he was with. Eun-ha wrapped her arms tighter around him and settled in deeper. He smiled and brushed her hair away from her face. He wanted to stay still a little longer, if only so that she could sleep in his arms for a while but he remember that he promised her he'd be gone before she woke up. He gently removed her arms from around him, picked up his clothes and went to wash his face. After dressing up, he contemplated leaving a note for Eun-ha to see when she woke up, but he decided that it might embarass her, not to mention cheapen their time together. He cast one last look at her sleeping figure before heading out the door. Outside, he flagged down a taxi and went home. Jong-hyun walked into the apartment he shared with his friend Joon-seo, and his friend was just walking out of his room and rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

"Are you coming in just now?" Joon-seo asked yawning.

"Eung." Jong-hyun replied taking off his jacket.

"What happened? Where were you last night?" Joon-seo asked, he was worried something had happened to make his friend not come home the night before.

"I'm not in the mood to talk right now, I have to go and get ready for work." Jong-hyun said and went into his room.

Joon-seo watched his friend and noticed there was something really wrong with him, he looked more dejected than he did when he was rejected in his other auditions. He knocked on Jong-hyun's room door and called out to him. "Jong-hyunah, I'm going to make some coffee and breakfast, come out and eat when you're ready. I'll listen when you're ready to talk, arasso?" He went away and inside his room, Jong-hyun sighed and buried his head in his hands.

 

Eun-ha finally woke up and held her head, she had a hangover. She looked around at her room and saw her clothes strewn on the floor, the reality of the night before hit her. She groaned from embarassment and dropped her head into her hands and then groaned from the pain. She wondered what time Jong-hyun left, she climbed out of bed and went to take a shower. After showering, she headed to the kitchen to see if she had any hangover soup when her younger sister, Shin-hye walked through the door dragging a small suitcase with her. 

"Unni, I'm back." Shin-hye said cheerily as she walked through the door. She stopped when she was how her sister looked. "What's wrong with you?"

"I have a hangover." She replied.

Shin-hye dropped her suitcase and immediately went to her sister. Her sister rarely drank because she was such a light drinker. "You drank? Why? Is something wrong?" 

"Joon oppa and I broke up last night." Eun-ha replied finally sitting down on a chair.

"Mwo?! I thought you guys were getting married." Shin-hye asked.

"So did I. Apparently I was wrong because he decided that I'm not the girl for him after 6 years." Eun-ha didn't want to tell her sister that he had cheated on her because Shin-hye never liked Joon, she had said something felt off about him.

"I'll make the hangover soup for you, you have to go and get ready for work or you'll be late."

"Sorry I didn't ask, how was your trip?" 

"It was good I guess, So-yeon unni really made me mad though, everything I did was wrong. I suppose it's not her fault, the weather kept messing up the shoot and we had to be careful about the wind messing up her hair and make-up. I don't know whose bright idea it was to have a photoshoot by the sea in this cold, everyone was on edge." Shin-hye said and her sister smiled.

"At least you'll get to rest for a while now."

"I wish. So-yeon unni has started looking at scripts for her next movie and I heard her telling her manager oppa that she wanted to do a movie before March next year for some secret reason." Shin-hye sighed and went back to making the hangover soup for her sister. 

Eun-ha looked at the time and it was already 7 am. She had to hurry and clean up if she wanted to get to work before 9. She hurriedly cleaned up, ate the soup her sister made and ran to catch the bus.

 

Jong-hyun pushed around his cart, picking up books and returning them to their proper places. He loved books, he loved the quiet that the library gives. If being an actor wasn't his lifelong dream, he would have been content being a librarian for all his life. He walked past a young couple on his way to putting away the mystery books, the girl was reading, completely absorbed in her book and the boy was doing everything possible to get her to notice him without having to raise his voice. Jong-hyun smiled and suddenly remembered Eun-ha. Thoughts of her had been flitting in and out of his mind all day and he wondered what she was doing. He shook off those thoughts and focused on his work instead.

Eun-ha's stomach grumbled and she sighed. She didn't feel like going out to eat but she didn't bring any food to work either. She thought about what to do for a while and decided to go out when her cellphone rang. It was her sister.

"Unni, isn't it time for your lunchbreak? I brought some food." Her sister said.

"Do you know how much I love you?" Eun-ha said while she munched on the food her sister had made.

Shin-hye shook her head and tsked at her sister. "Unni, why did you and Joon oppa break up? Didn't he say he was going to marry you?"

"Honestly, I was dumped." Eun-ha said after swallowing her food.

"Mworago?!" Her sister exclaimed.

"Oh, it gets better. Apparently, he's going to marry the daughter of the hospital's director because her father promised to build him a hospital, and they had been dating for a year. So I got cheated on and then dumped."  

"Keurinikka! I told you I didn't like him. Seriously, that rotten bastard." Shin-hye said.

"Ani, it was my fault."

"Ya! Why is it your fault that a rotten bastard acts like a rotten bastard?" Shin-hye said exasperatedly. 

"Shn-hyeya." Eun-ha started. She pushed around the food with her chopsticks.

"Waegure?" Her sister asked. 

"Last night, I met someone." She said and then was silent.

"Unni, what is it? You have to tell me so I can know what to say."

"I met someone and I felt something. I was really drawn to him. I suppose he had a certain aura about him."

"So, did you sleep with him?" She asked offhandedly. When her sister didn't answer, she exclaimed. "Mabsosa! You slept with someone you didn't know?"

"It was not like that. We were drunk and we were miserable, and I don't know. I..it was the moment. He made me feel something so deep I've not felt in a long time."

They were both silent for a few moments, then Shin-hye spoke. "How was it?"

Eun-ha blushed. "Ya." She said. Her sister raised her eyebrow, waiting for an answer, so she said "It was wonderful."

"So what's the problem, do you like him?"

She sighed. "I don't know. I was attracted to him definitely."

"Are you going to call him?"

"I don't know his number."

"Where does he live?"

"I don't know."

Shin-hye gaped at her sister, "Do you at least know his name?"

"Park Jong-hyun."

"Are you sure he wasn't married?"

"Oh my God!" Eun-ha said, she realized she didn't even know that.

"Wait, you didn't ask that? Did you use protection at least?" Shin-hye asked. She was so surprised at her sister.

"He didn't have any."

"I yeojaga jeongmal! What if you catch an STD or you get pregnant, then what are you going to do?"

"He said he didn't have an STD, and so what if I get pregnant? Is being a single mother against the law in this country?"

"You actually believe that? Men will say anything to get into a woman's bed. You have to go to the hospital today to check. It's better to catch it early so it can be treated. I can't believe you, you're the unni but you are so naive." Shin-hye sighed. Eun-ha sighed deeply, she was never drinking again.

 

Jong-hyun walked into the house and Joon-seo was setting the table. "Hey bro. Go and wash your hands and let's have dinner my mom sent over some kimchi yesterday." He said and Jong-hyun nodded.

"How was work?" Jong-hyun asked as he sat down to eat the food his friend had made. They took turns cooking and it was Joon-seo's turn to cook.

"I got my first big client today, he wants to design an advert for a full-spread in a magazine. I may have to stay up late for a few days in order to meet the deadline which is next weekend. I apologize in advance if it troubles you."

"Congratulations, you deserve it. You've been working so hard for so long."

Joon-seo noticed that his friend wasn't his normal self. He was usually better the morning after a failed audition. "What's wrong with you? Is this still about the audition? There will be other roles."

Jong-hyun remembered Eun-ha saying those same words to him, and he recalled the smile on her face when she said it. "It's not that." He sighed.

"Then what is it? You're going to make a hole in the floor if you keep sighing so much."

"Last night, I met this girl." He started.

"A girl? This is about a girl? Wow, I never thought the day would come." Joon-seo shook his head.

"She was so beautiful but she had just gotten her heartbroken by some bastard. Thinking about it now still makes me want to punch the guy."

"Woah, slow down man."

"I had this feeling all night, I wanted to protect her. I could see the hurt in her eyes as she downed drink after drink, I felt a connection to her."

"So, what happened?"

"I slept with her." Jong-hyun said and Joon-seo's mouth dropped.

"You're like this because of a one night stand?"

"It was more than that, at least for me. I wanted to get to know her, to see her smile brightly. I wanted to know what her dream was, what her hopes and fears were. I knew after one kiss."

"Why don't you just call her then?"

"She told me that it was only for one night. I don't know her phone number and I can't even go and visit her if I wanted because that would be breaking the promise we made."

"I see your dilemma. You must really like this girl."

"I do, and it's making me crazy."

"It'll probably go away eventually if you two never see each other again like she wants."

"I hope so."

 

Eun-ha walked into the house from the hospital and her sister was waiting for her. "What did the doctor say?"

"He said that I'm going to have to come back in about a month to get the test done, he said that's how long it takes to get a reliable result."

"Don't worry, you'll be fine. I'm sure you will be fine."

 

One Month Later...

Eun-ha walked out of the doctor's office in a haze. The test had been conducted and she didn't have an STD, but the doctor had told her there might be a chance she was pregnant since her period was about a week late. He had told her that it was nothing to worry about in most women but because she had been ually active in the past few weeks, there was a higher chance it was a pregnancy. She mindlessly pulled out of her phone and dialled her sister's number. "Yeobseyo." Shin-hye said.

"Shin-hyeya, na ottokhae?"

 

In the library, Jong-hyun's phone vibrated in his pocket so he went outside to answer it. "Neh yeobseyo."

"Park Jong-hyunssi?" The voice on the other end said.

"Neh, Park Jong-hyunibnida."

"My name is Lee Seol, I'm the casting director for the movie, Pulse. I'm pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to play the lead role in our movie. Please come to Shilla hotel at 11 am next Saturday for a script reading."

Jong-hyun's face split into a huge smile. "Kamsahabnida, jeongmal kamsahabnida." He said and the woman hung up. He remembered Eun-ha's words. "Something good is bound to happen to you soon" and he smiled. And for the third time that day, he wondered what she was doing.

 

Author's note: Hi everybody. I hope you're liking the story so far. It won't have a lot of chapters as I'm really busy with work. I'll try to update as quickly as I can. Does anybody else think Park Jong-hyun is a little too unbelievable? Men like that only exist in women's imaginations, right? Anyway, I hope you all have fun with it. Please leave your comments, upvote,  and subscribe. Kamsahabnida.