Walter's High

The Others

The grey sky was slowly transitioning into a darker shade, with snowflakes gracefully falling from it. Coating the grounds, the leafless trees, the benches and the roofs which also includes the chimneys sitting on top of a 4 storey vintage building. There is a gold sign placed at the front of the building with the words ‘Walters High School’ embedded into it in black.

Deep within the 4 storey building there sat two girls writing vigorously in the exercise books. One with the intent of noting down everything that the teacher had written on the board, while the other with the intent to finish successfully drawing the same teacher being held with a thin rope above a pool of sharks.

“Jess, what did I just say right now?” asked a stern nasal voice from the front. Jess looked up at the plump, wrinkly lady with a pointy nose. Her glasses reaching the edge of the bridge of her nose as she glared at Jess with a strict look on her face. Her hair pulled up in a tight bun above the nape giving her the haughty look. Her clothes all prim and proper giving her the look of an olden time ward maiden that would starve you, if you met her eyes with your own.

“You said Jess.” replied back Jess sarcastically, causing the class to let out sniggers and the girl next to her to elbow her sharply. The strict look on the lady’s face turned into a fuming glare.

“I do not understand how in the world you get the grades that you do in this school. But if I was the head teacher I would get a bit suspicious. Looking at how much you lack attention to class.” retorted the teacher.

“Well, thank god you’re not the head teacher then, DEPUTY KIM.” Replied back Jess teasingly. At the class’s second laugh the look on Mrs Kim’s face darkened.

“Quiet!” she screeched causing an abrupt silence to befall the classroom. “Just because some people act with no etiquette, doesn’t mean you all have to act so mannerlessly and JOIN THEM IN DETENTION.” The class tried to hold in their laughter, few failed and smacked their head on the desk in an attempt to stifle their giggles.

“Anyways Ms, I need to go to the toilet, may I have a hall pass, pleaasseee.” Asked Jess in a fake sweet tone. Ms Kim scrunched her nose in distaste but surrendered the hall pass and went back to writing on the board. Jess gathered her belongings quietly and quickly so as to no get caught, gave a wink and dropped a note to the girl on her left before leaving the classroom. The girl shook her head in disapproval as she had a feeling Jess was not coming back. She unravelled the note to see what it said

Meet me in the girl’s toilets in 5 minutes. It read.

Tania raised her eyebrows sceptically before glancing at Ms Kim at the front. 5 mins felt like 1 hour to Tania as she waited with bated breath for the right time to ask to leave. She thought of the unhappiest thought she could think off and then raised her hand when her vision blurred and she felt hot liquid dripping onto her cheeks. Ms Kim glanced at Tania and furrowed her eyebrows in confusion.

“What is the problem Ms Prince?” she asked. Tania clutched her stomach and started to act like her life depended on it.

“Ms, I need to go to the nurse I have a serious stomach ache and…I feel like I am going to vomit.” She said in a fake strained voice.

“I can’t let you go until Ms Green returns from the ladies room.” She said. Tania groaned.

“Please Ms, I can feel it coming.” She said leaning forwards onto the desk. The people around her squeaked and scuttled themselves away from her.

“Okay, Okay, Here take the pass and go.” Said Ms Kim panicky and offered the hall pass. Tania slowly grabbed her bag, took the hall pass and left the classroom. Once she had walked down the corridor and took a turn she looked back to see that no one could see her and started to run to the girl’s toilets. She walked through the door to see Jess sitting on the counter picking on her nails. She glanced up.

“There you are, took you long enough.” Said Jess jumping off the counter and walking towards Tania. Tania made a face at Jess.

“Sorry but not everyone is as sly as you.” She muttered. Jess smiled brightly and patted Tania on the back.

“Don’t worry, I will teach you everything about the art called mischief. First step-” Said Jess hauling her bag onto her back. “-is to bunk lessons.” She finished, taking Tania’s hand. Tania’s eyes widened and she pulled back.

“No, no, no. I have never bunked a lesson before and I am not going to do that now. Ms Kim will throw a fit” She said. Jess rolled her eyes.

"Bunking one lesson isn’t going to kill you, now come on. I am hungry and I want some burger and chips. Now!” She said firmly and dragging Tania out of the toilet. Jess started to make her way towards the playgrounds with an anxious Tania in tow. Tania kept glancing behind to make sure that they weren’t going to be caught.

     

-------------------Meanwhile-----------------------

 

Ms Kim walked briskly to the nurse’s room. She had Tania’s textbook held tightly in her hand, which she had forgotten when she left the room. She entered the nurse’s room after knocking twice on the door. She entered the room and looked around but she couldn’t see Tania. She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. The nurse glances at Ms Kim questioningly.

“How may I help you Margaret?” She asked curiously.

“Did you let Ms Prince go already? Is she fully recovered?” asked Ms Kim. The nurse looked genuinely confused.

“Ms Prince did not come here. I have not had any students in today.” Said the nurse. Ms Kim’s expression darkened and it looked like she was spitting daggers out of her eyes. The nurse hastily went back to what she was doing avoiding Ms Kim’s gaze. Ms Kim left the room and stormed down the hallway.

Those girls are in serious trouble! Thought Ms Kim angrily to herself. She hurried down the hallway to the ladies room to find it empty. She let out an angry huff and walked out of the room to the window located opposite the toilets. She saw the outline of two girls making their way towards the main gate. “Not on my watch.” Muttered Ms Kim angrily to herself. She made her way rapidly to the grounds in order to catch up with them. Once she saw them more clearly she shouted.

 

----------------Back to Jess and Tania----------------

 

“Oy, you girls, Stop right there!” they heard a shout from behind there. Tania looked back to see a very angry Ms Kim walking towards them waving a textbook furiously. Tania’s eyes widened in fear.

“Oh no! She is going to kill us and then feed our insides to the birds.” Said Tania slowing down a bit. “Maybe if we stop they will not be too harsh on us.” Debated Tania. Jess held fast to Tania’s hand.

“Firstly; Ew, Secondly; No, Thirdly; Run!” They both ran as fast as they could towards the main gate. Before Ms Kim could alert the guard the girls had already climbed over and landed hard on the other side. They both ran as hard as they could away from the grounds until the school was smaller than a speck to them. They both slowed down to catch their breaths. Tania was huffing really hard. Jess didn’t seem to be that out of breath. Makes sense since she is the football team’s captain. She patted Tania on the back. “You okay?” She asked raising an eyebrow amused.

“Lets..agh…never…agh…do that again.” Said Tania. Jess just smiled and nodded. Tania looked up at Jess. “Yeah right, she makes that face when she lies.” Thought Tania looking at the smirk on Jess’s face. “We got caught. Do you know how much trouble I am going to be in? My mum is going to ground me for a month and take away all of my Harry Potter books. You’re lucky your mum doesn’t say anything to you because you always get the highest grades.” Said Tania annoyed. Jess shrugged. 

“Anyways, forget that. Let’s go eat. That run made me really hungry.” She said dragging the huffing Tania with her. Tania reluctantly followed. She could do with a bit of chips. They were walking for a while till they reached the opening of the Timberwoods Graveyard. Otherwise nicknamed the Demon’s Yard. But no one knows why they call it that.

The graveyard always gave Tania the creeps. “Why we stopping here?” asked Tania looking into the beyond of the graveyard. The time was already 5pm and because of winter the day got dark really quickly. The graveyard looked more sinister than normal today.

“It’s faster going through here. We can get to KFC in 5 mins.” said Jess pushing the graveyard gate a push which let out a high pitched squeak. It brought chills to Tania’s back she pulled Jess back.

“Noooo, I am not going in there. No way in hell can you make me.” She said firmly. Jess looked at Tania with are-you-serious look.

“How old are you Tania? Are you really scared a couple of dead people? Even if these people came back alive as zombies the bodies are so old they would fall apart as soon as they stand up.” Said Jess sarcastically.

“Don’t say stuff like that. I don’t care, I’m not going in there.” Stated Tania. Jess looked at Tania and raised an eyebrow.

“Suit yourself you can go the long way and meet me there.” She said before making her way into the graveyard. Tania’s eyes widened as big as saucers.

“No, don’t go. Don’t leave me here.” Said Tania. Jess just waved a bye and still walked on. Tania breathed in sigh and followed after Jess. She didn’t like this but she didn’t like staying out alone when it’s dark. “Wait for me.” She said. Jess stopped for a few seconds and allowed Tania to catch up with her. They walked silently for 1 minute. Tania kept on looking around her anxiously waiting for something to pop out and attack them.

“See this isn’t too bad.” Said Jess breaking the silence. Tania swore she heard a crack of a branch behind her but didn’t say anything, she may just be paranoid.

“Whatever let’s just get out of here as fast as we ca- Aaaaahh!!.” Screamed Tania grabbing onto Jess, unknowingly digging her nails into her in fear.

“Owww! What the , get off that hurts.” Said Jess pulling Tania’s nails away from her arm and rubbing the sore part.  

“Oh my God, something touched me! Something touched my leg! It touched my leg!” screamed Tania covering her eyes jumping around on the spot. Jess glanced down to what Tania was screaming about.

“It’s just a plant.” Said Jess annoyed. Tania uncovered her eyes slowly and looked down to see a lavender plant near where her foot was. Tania giggled slightly. Jess just rolled her eyes and carried on walking away. Tania gave the lavender a last glance before catching up to Jess.

“It feels like we are walking for hours. Let’s race we can get to the end of this graveyard faster.” Suggested Jess.

“Wai-” before Tania could finish what she was saying. Jess had shouted.

“Ready, Steady, Go!” and ran off. Tania screeched and chased after Jess, but Jess was really fast she was already losing sight of Jess.

“Hold On!! You’re too fast!!” screamed Tania running as fast as she can to catch up, but it was useless she couldn’t see Jess anymore. “Where are you?” asked Tania, her legs were starting to get weak. Should’ve made more effort in P.E. thought Tania. She heard Jess’s laugh.

“Come on slow poke.” Said Jess from a far place. She looked behind her to see where Tania was but couldn’t see her at all. Hmm I must have ran too fast thought Jess. She waited for Tania to catch up but she wasn’t coming. She frowned and made her way backwards. “Tania?” She called.

Tania looked up when she heard Jess call her name, but she still couldn’t see her. She came up to two paths suddenly. , which route did Jess take? “Which way did you go? Jess?!” she called out loud. She didn’t hear an answer. “Je-” she was cut off by a sound that made her blood crawl.

Jess was walking towards where she thought she heard Tania call her when she heard the snap of a twig behind her. She turned around fast but didn’t see anything, it was at that moment she felt someone grab her waist and pull her towards their body keeping a firm grip on her. She knew instantly that this person was not Tania. So she screamed, but a hand soon covered . 

Tania looked around when she heard the scream. Her heart was beating so rapidly she wouldn’t be surprised if she had a heart attack there and then. “Jess! Where are you?! I swear if this is a joke I am going to kill you.” She ran towards where she heard the scream come from, and was shocked by the sight in front of her. She froze on the spot.

It was a man wearing a quirky leather attire and had striking red hair, his face was handsome. He was holding Jess in a tight back hug and, his hand covering . Jess was struggling to get out of his hold but he was just too strong. This worried Tania as Jess is quite strong if she can’t get out of his hold then there was no hope for Tania to be able to fight this man. She thought fast and got her phone to call for help but her phone was dead and was not switching on. . “Let her go right now or I am calling the police.” She said in the hope that the guy listened to her. The guy looked at her. His gaze sent chills around her body making the hair on the back of her neck to stand up. She suddenly couldn’t find the will to move from her spot. Her body would just not listen to her brain. What the is going on she panicked to herself.

She watched horrified as the guy whispered something into Jess’s ears making her stop squirming and fall limp, unconscious. He then carried Jess bridal style and started to walk away. No! Thought Tania and tried to make herself move but she couldn’t. After a few seconds of struggling she managed to make a step forward and slowly follow them. She watched as the man carried Jess and walked towards a gravestone. Oh my god is he going to bury her? Is he going to sacrifice her for a devil ritual? The last thing she expected happened. The man stood on top of a flat black marble grave tomb and disappeared. Tania breathed in a short breath in shock and made her way towards the tomb. She outstretched her hand slowly and touched the tomb. Nothing happened. Tania looked around confused waiting to see if the man will turn up with Jess in his arms and that the disappearing act was just a figment of her imagination. When nothing of that sort happened she apologized to the dead man under the tomb and stepped onto the tomb. As soon as she placed both feet onto the tomb the she closed her eyes as she felt a tight squeezing sensation. She felt like her body had turned to rubber and was starting to fold into herself. The sensation was fast over and when she opened her eyes her jaw practically fell to the ground. She definitely was not in Timberwoods graveyard.

Everything seemed more vibrant clear. Like she could see every single detail. HD. That and the fact the sky had changed to orange told her that she was either officially crazy or in a whole new world. She looked around her surroundings. The tomb and the graveyard had vanished. The muddy ground had transformed from a dull brown to caramel brown with a smooth texture. The tree trunks instead of being damp and brown were silver, the leaves of the tree were vibrant pink and they seemed to glitter a bit. Tania felt hypnotised by the leaves. She couldn’t help but walk towards a nearby tree. She stopped in front of the tree, to lift her fingers to the leaves when she felt a hand on her shoulder bringing her back to reality.

She remembered her friend being kidnapped by that mysterious man and her brain went to panic mode again. She froze on the spot. Is it the man? That took Jess? She asked herself.

"What the hell do you think you’re doing?" Said the voice. Tania let out a short breath and turned around to see that it was not the red haired man she saw take Jess but another person. The blonde handsome man was staring warily at her. She let out a breath of relief but then was worried again. Where the hell is Jess and that man? Oh my God what’s going to happen to Jess? I hope he isn’t a serial killer? “Hello?” asked the blonde man snapping Tania out of her rapid thoughts. Tania blinked once before she realised he was holding onto her shoulders still. She stepped away from him and he pulled his hands towards him quickly as she stepped backwards. "Wh..who are you?" She asked him.