Chapter 3

What control...?

I am so sorry for having been away for ages! I wasn't satisfied with anything and I have practically not written anything for two months, so please bear with this one ^^' Nevertheless, thank you SO much for subscribing and commenting! <3

--

 

Baekhyun had already seen from when they were waiting in line that the carts’ glass was somewhat tinted and it wasn’t entirely possible to look inside from down below. It reassured him when they both went inside the small glass cabin and for some reason, he was more nervous than he had been ever since he and Chanyeol were getting along like normal humans. When he sat himself down opposite his boyfriend, he couldn’t keep his question to himself any longer.

“So what did you say to them?” he asked, disregarding his reasons for not letting Chanyeol off the hook about it before. He needed to know, whether they would be talking about it the entire time or not. Chanyeol dramatically took his hands into his own and gave him one of those fond looks that he so easily seemed to show when he was around Baekhyun.

“I told them that I’m not here as an idol and that I have to spend time with someone important to me, that’s all.” He grinned, but Baekhyun looked at him blankly. He wasn’t entirely sure what to say, mostly because his heart was too happy to form any words.

“Cheesy,” he said after a while, a grin on his lips when he looked away from his boyfriend’s eyes and out into the ocean instead. “It’s so beautiful,” he said, not even noticing that he did so, but Chanyeol did and he couldn’t ignore the easy reply that followed.

“So are you.” He stood up and Baekhyun looked up at him in horror because their small safe area was now shaking.

“What are you doing – sit down,” he demanded, but it was hardly taken seriously by the other man who went to sit beside him instead. “No, the other side, this thing doesn’t want you to do this!” he said in panic and if he had been thinking straight, he’d have noticed that Chanyeol let him speak for a very long time, which he usually wouldn’t really do when he was having his panicky ranting moments.

“Oh come now, you’re light enough for it to handle us both on one side.” Chanyeol crept even closer and it was just like it used to be, Baekhyun wanted to cower away from him. Luckily for him, the moment didn’t last long because one thorough look in Chanyeol’s eyes calmed him down enough to kiss him instead. “Better,” Chanyeol said after pulling away only slightly and leaned against his smaller boyfriend. “So what do you think of today until now?”

“Well…” Baekhyun drawled and smiled when Chanyeol looked at him in anticipation, “we haven’t really done a lot yet but I like it. What will we do after this?” he asked and Chanyeol laughed.

“There isn’t much more to be honest,” he said after a short silence. It was comfortable and Baekhyun snuggled into Chanyeol’s side as they both enjoyed the view outside. Baekhyun didn’t care that this was all, he hadn’t been this happy very much in his entire life so whatever time he could get with his boyfriend was good enough for him.

 

They walked around the small shopping area for a little while and although they had been together for a while now, it was still nice to just have a little chat amongst each other without the pressure of performing or other kind of work. Baekhyun felt privileged to be able to get to know Chanyeol better today and he hoped he wasn’t merely being someone who Chanyeol needed to pass the time together with. But then again, whenever he had the chance, he’d easily see that it wasn’t like that because the taller man seemed genuinely happy they were there together. Also, Chanyeol’s actions and words spoke much louder than his own insecurities and he was happy to have it this way.

“Now, we’re going to take a walk down the beach, okay?” Chanyeol announced after they’d eaten some things from one of the stalls.

It was what they ended up doing, catching the last rays of the sun. They were silent most of the time and although it was peaceful and very nice, Baekhyun couldn’t help but wonder why some things had happened – mainly why someone like Chanyeol would have chosen someone like him. It wasn’t as if he doubted the taller male, far from it, it was just that he couldn’t fully understand, which might have had everything to do with their being together for only a short time in comparison to a lifetime.

Of course he didn’t know of the letter that Chanyeol wanted to give him, but for some reason, still hadn’t. It was even there with them as it seemed like the right time to finally give it, but the tall male hadn’t the heart to do it. Because even though he had always been honest with Baekhyun, he had written down his deepest feelings, including fears he had never told his boyfriend. He wanted him to know, yet he also didn’t, simply because he was afraid that his thoughts would become the truth.

“You’re quiet,” Baekhyun remarked when he saw the last light of the sun touch the horizon and sink into the sea far beyond.

“So are you,” the other man said, smiling when he looked down at the small boy. “I really enjoyed today, although we didn’t do much,” he said, voice hushed even though there weren’t a lot of people around.

“Me too,” Baekhyun said, but as he did so, he felt his heart sink. “We’re going to be way too late! Oh my god what time is it?” he asked, suddenly tensed and Chanyeol’s face paled almost visibly as well. He grabbed hold of Baekhyun’s hand straight after though and replaced his expression with a happy one.

“Let’s run, I’m sure my manager is back at the car and we’ll be on time.”

So they ran through the sand, sluggishly but laughing because of it. Baekhyun shook his head and slowed down.

“This isn’t working,” he said, but caught sight of large rocks that lined the shore, “maybe we can walk over those?” Chanyeol looked skeptically for a moment, but then shrugged.

“Sure. As long as you hold my hand; you shouldn’t fall.”

 

There was way too much traffic to Baekhyun’s liking and even though he was sitting comfortably in a van made for his idol boyfriend, he was feeling fidgety. Jinki apologized several times, but there wasn’t much that he could have done about it. Maybe he could have kept Chanyeol on some sort of leash to make sure he’d come back when he needed to. Maybe Baekhyun himself should have done that because he was just as responsible. He just had a good enough time to not even think about his own performance that night.

“You just gave Minseok a call, it’s all right… don’t worry too much,” Chanyeol said, but because of the thoughts roaming Baekhyun’s mind, he didn’t take the words too well.

“It’s your fault though, so maybe you should worry a little bit more,” he said, but instantly regretted the words. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that…” he said, frowning, but hardly able to look Chanyeol in the eyes since he hadn’t said any such thing ever before. It was also the first time Chanyeol looked guilty.

“No you’re right, I’m sorry,” he said and there was a strained smile on his face. It was then that Baekhyun realized that nothing was worth that look, not being on time to perform in some unknown bar, not earning the respect of his manager… So he reached out for the taller man’s hands although Chanyeol didn’t instantly get what he wanted.

“Sorry, I didn’t want to do that. I’m glad I got to spend more time with you like this anyway. Don’t worry about it, okay? Like, we’re almost there anyway and it’s not like we can do anything about it anymore. Sorry I snapped.”

So even though all of that was said and Baekhyun was happy he did and he meant every bit of it, he still felt nervous because he didn’t like being late and he didn’t recall the last time it happened. Besides that, he wasn’t sure whether Chanyeol was entirely okay with the way he had phrased his words and if he would simply forgive him like that. It seemed he already had though.

 

Nothing was wrong, everything went exactly like it should – only half an hour later than it should have happened – until someone came along to spoil Baekhyun’s mood. Not that he did it on purpose, Baekhyun was pretty sure of that. Chanyeol was having a fun time chatting with Jongdae when Kyungsoo decided to enter the bar and walk straight up to the counter where Baekhyun had taken his usual spot again.

“Hey…” the wide-eyed male said, although he seemed rather nervous.

“Hey,” Baekhyun said and with recent events, he was wondering why he couldn’t simply let the other man in anymore. It was true Kyungsoo had betrayed his trust, but he had also tried several times to apologize for it. “It’s alright,” he said while wiping the counter where a glass had just left a ring of moisture. “Don’t worry.” All he really had to do, was follow up on his heart’s desire of simply letting go of things and enjoying that which he had. And that was friends and a whole lot of love.