Afraid of the Dark

Afraid of the Dark

You started setting up the extra mattress in your room as you best friend Hoshi got changed into his pyjamas in the bathroom. This was the first time you two had ever had a sleepover, you’d been friends for quite a while now and you had been to each other’s houses before but neither one of you had spent the night. For some reason you felt like Hoshi was a bit uncomfortable about the idea, you had no idea why he would be, but you tried to make him feel as comfortable as possible while he was in your house.

He had been at your house since earlier this afternoon, you two went for a walk and watched some movies, and generally had a fun time like you normally do, but now it was time to go to sleep. Your parents already in bed you had to be quiet as to not wake them up.

Hoshi came back from the bathroom in his black and white pyjamas. Now it was your turn to go get changed, you picked up your things and went into the bathroom; leaving Hoshi to settle in on the mattress you set up for him.

You returned from the bathroom and he was already under the covers and looking tired enough to fall asleep at any second. So you turned the light off and got comfy in your own bed.

You didn’t realise how tired you were until you rested your head on your pillow, as soon as you shut your eyes you were ready to fall asleep. Something was stopping you from doing so.

Your brain.

You were totally relaxed and ready to fall asleep, but your brain as usual wouldn’t stop thinking about the most random things. Things that weren’t even important! You were wishing your brain would just shut up and let you sleep, as you tried to make yourself relax even more.

Just as you were drifting off, suddenly you heard your name being whispered.

“Y/N…you still awake?” Hoshi whisper broke the dead silence of the room.

You were so close to falling asleep now nothing but a quiet hum came out. You were awake, but you didn’t think he heard you properly. You opened your mouth to say something but you had to take a second for your groggy brain to process your sentence, “what is it, Hosh?” it was like you had just woken up out of a coma. Hopefully he understood you.

“Can we uhm…turn on a lamp or something?” he whispered innocently.

“What for?” you asked, slurring your words a little.

“I just…I don’t really like…being in the dark” suddenly you understood, you were the same when you were younger, but it didn’t affect you now.

“Just keep your eyes shut, you won’t even realise it’s dark.” You repeated the words that your parents always used to tell you.

“No I need a light..I-..I’m scared…” he sounded embarrassed but too scared to worry about how embarrassing it was. You didn’t want him to feel embarrassed about it, after all you were trying to make him as comfortable as possible in your home. This was obviously the reason he was sometimes hesitant about the thought of sleepovers. He had nothing to worry about.

You reached over to your beside table where a small lamp was sat, you turned it on, putting it on it’s lowest setting, so it wasn’t too bright. You rolled over, now able to see Hoshi on his mattress, slightly lower than you.

“Better?” you asked quietly.

He nodded with a bright smile, “Thank you.” his smile was contagious, making you smile back at him. You heart fluttered a bit before you rolled to the other side again, and Hoshi got comfortable under his covers once again, obviously feeling more comfortable already.

“Goodnight, Hosh.” You whispered, hoping he was still awake and could hear your whisper.

“Sleep well, Y/N.” you could almost hear the smile in his voice, and it made you smile too. Your eyes now shut and you were drifting off to sleep once again, more tired than ever. Falling asleep with a smile on your face.



there you go~ it was super short but I hope you enjoyed!! thank you for reading!! :)