Mom!!!

My Family's Boyfriend

It was as I had thought. It was weeks later and the girls left me alone and everything was normal again.

That meant I could be free to finally focus on my studies.

And on Eddy.

He continued to ride home with me everyday for a couple weeks, and it was nice being able to be with him like that. But every time we got home, he went with Dad, and occasionally Tomi, to do Kendo.

I don’t know if I should have, but I felt a little jealous.

Before Eddy and I rode away from school one day, I asked him, “Why are you always coming over and doing kendo with Dad?”

“Well, he likes teaching me.”

I frowned. “If you still wanted to do kendo, you could do the club again.”

“But I like Dad, and he likes me.”

Did he just call him Dad?!

I didn’t know if I was supposed to be upset or happy, so I just thought “Shouganai…” and we drove off.

But Dad wasn’t feeling too good after work.

“Well, I have a lot of homework anyway,” Eddy said.

I sighed.

“What are you thinking about?”

“Hmmm… let’s go out tomorrow.”

“Okay.”

Wow, he responded quicker than I thought.

So I smiled was he went into the elevator, and when the doors closed, I went inside.

 

It was Saturday, which meant I had to help Mom with housework, but it didn’t take to long. I was able to get ready for my lunch date with Eddy. He said he’d pick me up at 1 pm.

I decided to wear a pink dress, sleeveless, with a buttoned top, a belt, and the skirt flowed to my knees. And because of my hair, I didn’t have to worry about how exactly I should wear it anymore.

As soon as I walked out of my room, there was a knock the door, but before I could get it, my mother did.

“Eddy, hello.”

“Hi, Mom.”

Why did that bother me so much?

“I don’t think Ruki and Tomi can do it today, they’re-”

“Oh no, I’m here to take Yuna on a date.”

I took a deep breath, then walked in. “Eddy!”

“Hi, are you ready to go?” He came to me and took both my hands. He looked at me, amazed and excited.

My mother looked at us. “You’re leaving so soon? Wait, don’t go just yet, sit down.”

So Eddy and I sat on the couch and Mom walked away.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“I thought we could go to that Italian restaurant.” he replied with a shy smile. “I know you like Italian food.”

Five minutes passed.

I huffed. “Let’s go.”

But right when we got up, Mom came in and said, “No! Don’t go. I want you to stay here.”

“Mom, it’s ten minutes past one, so we-”

‘No.” she said. “I want your date to be here.”

My mouth dropped open. “Mom!”

But Eddy said, “Really?! I’ll help you in the kitchen if you’d like.”

“Eddy!” Not him, too!

He ran into the kitchen and grabbed an apron, and him and Mom were off.

I let out a heavy sigh. This was NOT what I wanted.

 

Sitting at the kitchen table, I nearly fell asleep when Mom and Eddy set the table with ridiculous grins on their faces.

“Sorry honey, I didn’t know you guys were planning on Italian, so we ended up making yakisoba.” Mom smiled at me.

And I really looked forward to spaghetti, too.

After setting the table, Mom said, “Well, I’ll leave you two alone.”

She walked away.

Finally!

“I hope you like it,” Eddy said nervously.

Eating it, I smiled. “Yes, it’s delicious, thank you.”

“Is everything good? At school?”

“Mmhmm.”

Then he whispered, “How is your eye?”

“it’s getting better.”

“Someone at school might notice you’re wearing makeup.”

“But it would be better than seeing a black eye, wouldn’t it.”

Eddy sighed. “Just don’t let anyone notice, okay? You might get in trouble. Since it's against policy.”

I nodded. Then I said in a normal voice, “How is kendo?”

“It’s a lot on me. I get kind of sore. But that’s okay, it’s fun.” He smiled at me, and I forgot to breath for a second. Somehow, his smile always gets me.

Suddenly, I could see my mother hiding behind the wall, spying on us.

I frowned, and she walked away.

Then we ate silently.

“Um, so, how are your parents.”

Eddy sighed. “I’d rather not talk about it.”

Then it was silent again.

I slammed my hands on the table. “We can’t even talk like we used to!”

Eddy, alarmed, said, “What do you mean?”

“I mean we’ve drifted apart, even if we’ve grown closer.”

Eddy looked down. “I’m sorry. And I don't understand.”

I sighed. “Sorry, it’s not your fault, just-- Mom!”

My mother emerged from the wall she was again hiding behind. “Sorry, honey, I just wanted to know what you do during a date.”

“Well, it’s certainly not like this!” I sighed and put my face in my hands. This… is a disaster.

“Well, we could use some conversation.”

I looked up at my boyfriend. Is he seriously inviting my mother over here?

My mother happily skipped over and sat next to him. “You know, if you need something to talk about, you have to go somewhere exciting for a date.”

I shook my head. “Mom, exciting is anywhere but here.”

But she didn’t hear me, she kept going. “You could go to the park, or a movie and have dinner after. Then you can discuss something. Or you could even go to arcades and gaming centers.”

Eddy nodded in astonishment, like Wow, she really knows it all!

She is destroying my date!

“You know what, I’m done.” I stood up to go clean my dishes.

“Mom has really good tips, doesn’t she Yuna?”

“Sure.” I lied.

Because how was she going to give us tips on dates when she forced us to do it here?

I went up to my room, changed my clothes, and started on my homework.

After two hours, there was a knock on my door. “Who is it?”

“It’s me.” Eddy.

“I thought you would have left already.”

“Not until I say goodbye to you.”

I finally got up from my desk to open the door. “It’s not like you were here to see me anyways.”

Eddy looked offended, but he stayed silent looking for something to say.

“Are you leaving now?” I asked.

His head hung. “I’m sorry, I really wanted to take you out, but your mother had already started cooking.”

I rolled my eyes. “My mother always does stuff like that so you won’t feel she wasted her time. It’s just one of those things you can’t let control you, or she will have control over you the rest of your life.”

Eddy frowned. “Why are you talking about your mother?”

“I’m only telling the truth.”

“Well, I don’t think that’s nice. She’s taking care of you, and you have nothing good to say? You know what, never mind, I’m leaving.”

He turned to leave, even when I told him to wait, but I grabbed his arm, then pulled him into a hug.

“I’m sorry, I guess I’m just a little upset you didn’t take me out.” I sighed. “I was in the mood for spaghetti, you know.”

I didn't really feel bad about what I had said. Well, not fully, since it was true. but I didn't want Eddy to leave upset with me.

He embraced me back with a quiet laugh. “I’m sorry, too. I can probably take you out next weekend, and we’ll go wherever you want.”

“Okay.”

“Well, I have to do my homework.” He let me go.

“We can do it together here.” I smiled at him.

“Nah, when I’m here, I don’t accomplish anything. My house is empty, so it’s easy to get work done.” Even though he stated it as a benefit, I could see the sadness in his eyes.

“Okay, well, be safe.”

“Okay.”

And I returned to my room, and he left.