The Invitation

My Family's Boyfriend

c38358d1be8fcd16980a2c9175056bd8.jpg

 

 

 

When I first met my boyfriend Eddy, he was a new student here. Everyone assumed he was an exchange student because he is Korean, but it turns out his family moved to Tokyo during spring break. I was the first person to talk to him, because everyone assumed that his Japanese would be bad. Well, he tried his best. But no one thought maybe he could speak good English.

 

I decided if no one would talk to him, I would.

 

    I sat at the desk next to him. “Hi, I’m Yuna. Nice to meet you. What’s your name?”

 

    “I’m Eddy. Nice to meet you.”

 

    “Eddy? Where are you from?” I was confused as to why he had an English name.

 

    “I’m from Los Angeles.” He replied. It made more sense at that moment, so when I laughed, he looked confused.

 

    “I’m sorry, it’s just that everyone thought you were from Korea and didn’t think you could speak Japanese or English.”

 

    “Oh, ha.”

 

    “Well, they’ll be surprised you can. So, what brings you to Japan?”

 

    “My mother and father’s company.”

 

    I nodded. “Well, welcome to Japan!”

 

    And he gave me a smile that stole my heart. Yeah, it was love at first sight, I guess.

 

    After that, he made many friends. Here in Japan, it’s the smart, athletic, and talented students that get popular. And Eddy was that. He’s smart, he can sing, he can cook, and he’s just... handsome!

 

    Of course, he didn’t forget that I was his first friend here. I toured him around Harajuku and Akihabara a lot, since those are my favorite spots, and it didn’t take long before he started calling them dates.

 

I had no problem with that.

 

    A year later, my family wanted to have him over for dinner.

 

    “Hey, Yuna, you still have that boyfriend? It’s been how long?”

 

    “A year.” I smiled thinking of him.

 

    “Wow, a year? that’s a first!” my brother Tomi laughed. “Oh wait, never mind, he IS your first!”

 

    I hit him. But he only said, “Hey, if he was Japanese, and not American, he would know girls like you aren’t desirable. He only likes you because you welcomed him here.” He laughed again and ruffled my hair.

 

    I stayed silent. It was the first time it was said, but I had thought it many times. I guess it showed on my face, because my mother had a pained look on her face, and Tomi’s expression changed. “Yu- Yuna, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean that… I’m sorry.”

 

    I got up. “That’s okay.” But it wasn’t because I knew that there were plenty girls at school that looked good next to Eddy. I was about to walk to my room but my mother said, “Wait! We want you invite him to dinner tomorrow.”

 

    “Sure, I’ll invite him.” I faked a smile before going to my room.

 

    I decided to get started on my Math, but I received a text from Eddy.

 

Hi, I was thinking we should go out tomorrow.

 

I smiled.

 

Actually, my mother wants you to eat dinner with us.

 

Really? I guess I can, since my parents are always home late anyway.

 

It’s good he can eat with us, I thought. Now he doesn’t have to eat home alone, and can have people to talk to.

 


 

    “I’m home!” My father arrived from work.

 

    “Welcome home!” We responded.

 

    I was in the kitchen with my mother, as she inquired me of all the foods Eddy likes.

 

    “So is he coming tomorrow? I want to see why he’s such a great person.” My father said.

 

    “Dad…”

 

    He just laughed. “Don’t worry, I won’t beat him down too much. But shouldn’t he cook for us? I hear he’s a good chef.” He nudged my shoulder.

 

    “We have to cook if we’re the hosts.” I said.

 

    My father smiled at me. “I didn’t think that I wanted you around any guys,” he said seriously. “But, from what it sounds like you picked the right one.”

 

    I smiled back. My father never said anything like that before when it came to guys.

 

    Then, he went back to his joking attitude. “But, I still have to torture him a bit, to make sure he won’t hurt you.”

 

    I laughed. “Okay Dad, but don’t traumatize him.”

 

    “Yeah, that’s my job!” Tomi, who was sitting at the table, said.

 

    “Well then, you won’t be having dinner tomorrow!” I said and poked my brother.

 

    “Hey!” he yelled, and chased me out of the room, laughing.

 

    At school, everyone heard about the event. I don’t know how, or why everyone thought it was important, but everyone did.

 

    When I arrived, I was changing my shoes at my cubbie when Risa walked up to me. “I heard that Eddy is going over to your house tonight. What’s with that?” She had a serious tone. Who did she think she was? A teacher, or the principal? I knew she wasn't concerned or anything.

 

    “Why is it important to you?” I asked. I never really talked to Risa unless we had to work together, which we did the previous year. She wasn't even in my class that year. I didn't want to talk to her because I knew she never really liked me.

 

Not that I ever did anything to her.

 

    She took a step closer. “I know you think Eddy likes you, and you think that you can finally have him to yourself, but let me tell you something. He only likes you because you were his first friend. When he comes over, he’s not going to be interested in going to your room, so quit dreaming.”

 

    I scoffed. “Wow, THAT'S what you think is going on?!” Shaking my head, I walked into the school halls.

 

    When I reached the homeroom, Eddy came and sat next to me. “I can’t wait until tonight.” And he placed a kiss on my cheek. It made me blush. He refuses to learn that in Japan, we don’t really choose to make our affection so public.

 

    But, I didn’t mind too much. It made me feel better after my encounter with Risa.

 

    “Eddy, why does everybody know about tonight?” I asked in English.

 

    “I told them. I didn’t mean to, but I got too excited. Gomen.” He put his palms together.

 

    “That’s okay, I can’t get mad at you anyway.” I smiled shyly.

 

    He hugged me and put his head on my shoulder. I liked it, but I didn’t like the eyes staring at me. I could feel all the girls looking at me from behind, and it made me uncomfortable.

 

    And so the bullying began.

 

    I had to deal with that the whole day. In PE, while running laps, all the girls would bump into me so that I would get dirty and bruised. “Now how could he want to sleep with you? You’re so bruised and dirty and UGLY!" they laughed and continued running.

 

    I tried my hardest to not cry.

 

    There were other girls, of course, that didn’t treat me in that way, even if they had an obvious crush on Eddy. But some were afraid of getting bullied themselves. I was glad that my friend Koharu was there to pick me up every time.

 

    “Maybe I should stay next to you.” She smiled. That smile made it a little easier to keep from sobbing.

 

    “I’m glad you’re here. This has been going on all day.”

 

    “Sorry I couldn’t help you sooner. But I if I had gotten up during class, Sensei-”

 

    “It’s okay, Koharu. You don’t have to apologize.”

 

    Koharu slowed down. “You don’t feel bad, do you?”

 

    I stayed silent.

 

    She sighed. “Eddy likes you. He didn’t just choose you from a raffle. He told me he feels lucky to be with you.”

 

    “Really?” I wasn’t so sure, since Koharu is always trying to cheer me up.

 

    Koharu sighed again. “All he can talk about is the dinner tonight. He really wants to make a good impression on your family so he can still be with you.”

 

    “He told you all that?”

 

    “Not all of it. I was eavesdropping.”

 

    “Oh,” I laughed.

 


 

    At lunch, I opened my obento box. My mother really knows how to cook. I had tempura, and onigiri, and vegetables, and fruit. Simple, but delicious.

 

    Eddy and Koharu hadn’t returned yet. They hadn’t brought a lunch, and went to get something from the vending machines.

 

    That meant I was stuck with the bullies.

 

    “Hey, Yuna.”Risa walked towards me.

 

“Go back to your class, Yuna. You don’t eat lunch in here any other time.” I said. I was tired, and I guess that made me a little bolder.

 

    She kept walking toward me, and put her hands on my desk. That was my cue to put my food away. If my food was thrown, Risa would not have known what was coming for her.

 

    The other girls in my class were suddenly behind me. I was trapped.

 

    They never bullied me until that day, and it was shocking because I had suddenly become everyone’s target. Yes, I had been teased, but it never got physical.

 

    One girl, Natsuki, grabbed my ponytail. Risa smirked and grabbed my cheeks. “If he doesn’t see how ugly you are already, he’ll see it after we chop of that long hair of yours.

 

    My hair had grown pretty long, and it took a while for it to. At the moment, the threat seemed worse than death.

 

Natsuki pulled my ponytail and laughed. “No!! Let me go!”

 

    Another girl walked away to get a pair of scissors, and I struggled trying to get out of the trap. I was held down on my shoulders, and the girl never let go of my hair, and Risa slapped me every time I screamed. But I didn’t stop.

 

    “Somebody, do something!” I tried not to cry.

 

    But there were more kids against me than there were the kids who wanted to help. So instead, they acted as if nothing happened.

 

    “Stop! Let me go!”

 

    “Stop screaming, you !” Risa yelled.

 

    I didn’t. Not until Risa held the scissors up to my face. I hadn’t noticed the girl had come back with them.

 

    “Much better. Now, cut it.” She handed the weapon to Natsuki.

 

    All I could do was weep as she began to cut my thick, long hair.

 

When she was done, the girls applauded and held my ponytail in the air for all to see like a trophy.

 

  And I cried. It was gone, and I couldn't get it back.

 

    “Yah!” I heard someone say.

 

    It was Eddy.

 

    The room got silent, and all the girls dispersed as if nothing happened, and Risa ran passed Eddy and Koharu out the door.

 

    I looked down, and continued to cry as I my hair.

 

    It’s all gone…

 

    Koharu and Eddy ran over to me.

 

    “Oh my god, did those girls do this to you?” Koharu sounded concerned. “I knew I should have stayed…” And she sat next to me and hugged me.

 

    “Why is this happening?” Eddy sat in front of me and wiped my tears away and held my hands.

 

    Koharu stood up and walked over to the girls.

 

    “Ko- Koharu…”

 

    But she didn’t stop. She picked up my ponytail, and the scissors that was next to them. “Well, since we’re running a beauty salon, who wants to go next?” She sounded outraged.

 

    Natsuki began to stutter, “S-s-sorry! Please, I won’t do it again!” She began to cry.

 

    “You can’t do it again, you idiot! It’s gone!!” All the girls started to whimper. Koharu pointed at them with the scissors. “If you mess with my friend anymore, you better know what’s coming to you.”

 

    Koharu dropped the scissors and came back over.

 

    Her face softened. “Sorry, I didn’t want to do that. But they were irking me.” She help my ponytail up.

 

    “What am I supposed to do with it?” I yelled, and my sobs grew louder. I covered my face, not wanting anyone to see how ugly I looked.

 

    Eddy and Koharu enveloped me in their embrace so that I could cry without shame.

 

    “I’m so ugly!” I yelled.

 

    “No, you’re still beautiful. You could rock any hairstyle.” Eddy said and placed a kiss on my cheek.

 

    “Don’t let them bring you down.” Koharu said, rubbing my arm.

 

    Then lunch was over, and the teacher walked in. “What happened here?” He looked around, looking for a clue, an explanation.

    But no one answered. There were only the sounds of sobs.