Part One

Jin Shàngwèi

25th June,1950

 Minseok trailed after Jongin and Kyungsoo at a leisurely pace, watching on with a fond smile as the two chattered enthusiastically about a new film they wanted to watch. His cousin let out an uncharacteristic happy chirp when Kyungsoo offered to pay for the tickets, Jongin had always been weak when it came to people spoiling him. Kyungsoo glanced over his shoulder at Minseok, eyes twinkling happily as they did often.

"You too hyung, I think you'll enjoy the movie as well," he said invitation accompanied with a smile so endearing Minseok could not refuse, he nodded in reply and the two younger boys resumed their conversation. The warm summer wind blew past them, ruffling their hair and clothing. Minseok tightened his dobok's belt securing it on habit as he followed the two into a more crowded street. He paused when the fine hairs along the back of his neck stood making him glance around the area, frowning when he found nothing amiss. Everyone was going on about their own businesses, oblivious of anything out of the ordinary. This unwelcomed uneasiness was becoming all too familiar lately. He shook off the negative feeling and walked Jongin and Kyungsoo all the way to their academy despite their embarrassed protests of being more than old enough to walk alone. He observed them enter the school gates slight trepidation filling him as they walked away from him,

"Jongin!" Jongin and Kyungsoo stopped halfway up the steps to the entrance whirling around to look at Minseok quizzically. An unusual wave of nausea hit him at the distance between them, 

"Be safe," he called out ignoring the weird glances he received from the other students, Jongin broke into a smile.

"Of course, hyung!" He called back blissfully calm and at total ease, Minseok nodded only slightly placated and left. His eyes narrowed as he walked to work, looking for anything that could be the cause of his unease. He found himself sighing minutes later, scolding himself for being too paranoid, it was just another normal day.

 

-

 

 Minseok slipped out of his black dobok top wincing in disgust at the sweat dripping onto the floorboards, kids were exhausting to teach, but Minseok could not see himself doing anything else. He took off his sweat-drenched singlet tossing it to the ground alongside his dobok. He would clean it up later, for now he deserved a much-needed nap. He barely slept the night before and the fatigue was taking a toll on his otherwise fit body. He slipped out of his trousers as well not bothered with his state of undress, knowing his aunt, uncle and Jongin would only return in the evening.

 He grabbed the cold water on his table taking a healthy swig out of it quenching his thirst, he was so appreciative of the instant relief that he forgot to question how the water could have stayed cold in the summer heat. He pulled out his quilts laying them down neatly only to pause when he heard a dull thud come from the yard outside, he tensed up as foreign yet familiar swearing followed. He grabbed his trousers and hurriedly pulled them on as he slid his door open peering cautiously into the empty hallway. The setting sun casted eerie shadows across the floor creating a foreboding atmosphere and making Minseok hesitate, another curse filled the air forcing him to slip out of the safety of his room. He moved slowly approaching the staircase and avoiding steps he knew would creak, he had just reached the landing when the front door slammed open admitting an overly dressed person. Minseok quickly dropped into a defense position as the intruder shut the door behind him, chest heaving and breath coming out in pants from behind the scarf he wore. Minseok raised his fists as the intruder turned to him,

"Xiumin!" The name uttered resurfaced thousands of buried memories, Minseok's fists dropped to his side as he straightened up from his crouch. His brows furrowed as he studied the intruder, bright eyes stared back at him. Eyes Minseok knew all too well, his vision blanked out for a second.

"Luhan?! What are you doing here?" He took a step forward only to pause as he swayed lightly, Luhan was taller than him now his suddenly muddled mind supplied. Luhan took off the scarf obscuring his face, wiping the sweat off his brow in the process, his eyes darted around the foyer nervously before closing the distance between them and pulling Minseok into a tight hug.

"Are you alone?" He asked instead of replying Minseok's questions, Minseok nodded dumbly shock settling in slowly at Luhan's unexpected appearance. 

"What are you doing here?" Minseok repeated feeling dumb, Luhan tensed up pulling away from Minseok, his hands rested on the others shoulder to hold him at bay. 

"You have to come with me!" Minseok frowned at the authoritative tone, it had barely been five minutes and Luhan was already being bossy.

"I have to wait until my aunt or uncle comes back," he replied sluggishly trying to shake Luhan off. Something was not right. Luhan shook his head, eyes regretful.

"I'm sorry," 

"For wh-" 

Minseok slumped forward into Luhan's arms, a timely knock rapped at the door behind Luhan,

"Xi Èrjíjiàng, are you in there?" Luhan gently laid Minseok down and walked across the foyer to open the door,

"We are just on time," Luhan announced fake worry creasing his brow, "Xiumin Shangwéi has collapsed with Summer fever, I need some rope to bound him,"

"Rope, Èrjíjiàng?" The soldier looked confused at his unusual request, Luhan nodded,

"We do not want the captain to hurt himself or anyone else, I fear he might attack someone in his delusional state," 

"Understood Sir," the soldier relayed Luhan's orders, Luhan glanced at Minseok crouching beside him to run a finger over his face. 

"Forgive me." He pleaded uselessly.

 

-

 

25th April, 1950

Luhan inconspicuously glanced around the meeting table inwardly groaning at the old and weary faces he was greeted with. It could only mean one thing, that the meeting would be horribly boring and a waste of time. He let out a tiny sigh one that was immediately responded with a pointed clearing of throat. Luhan turned his head to his left where his father sat, posture straight and radiating power. His father raised a brow warningly and Luhan corrected his own posture holding back a groan at the effort. His father nodded approvingly before turning to the head of the table where the designated speaker had just taken his place.

 One more person came in barely coming on time and took the seat across him, he was unperturbed by the judging glares shot at him and looked at the speaker boredly prompting him to start with an arrogant lift of his chin. Luhan shook his head in disbelief, only Wu Yifan would dare act this way. Said man now had his arms crossed in front of his chest mirroring the look Luhan so desperately wanted to show, but could not due to his perfectionist father. Yifan further showed his discontent by slouching in his chair dwarfing his otherwise tall frame, Luhan almost pouted in jealousy. The meeting started and Luhan despite trying to concentrate could not help but let his mind wander to a place far, far away. He only came back to reality when he heard Yifan speak, tone incredulous.

"Do you honestly expect Xi Èrjíjiàng and I-" Luhan frowned at suddenly being addressed, thoroughly confused at the situation, “to be in charge of two bases? Handling hundreds of men?" Yifan finished, clearing up a bit of Luhan's confusion. He and Yifan were going to be given bases, he panicked just at the thought. Yifan shot him a look, one that told him to speak up as well.

"How are you so confident that we will be able to handle it?" He asked hoping to dissuade the man of his decision, the speaker was unfazed by their joint attack, 

"You are your fathers' sons I do not doubt your brilliance," he answered eliciting hums of agreement around the room. Yifan's face changed in a split second jaw tightening in controlled anger, Luhan knew it was safe to assume it was due to the other's hate towards his father. It was no secret, Yifan had some unattractive daddy issues.

"You both were the top students in your respective military academies, we are sure you will be suited for the positions." The speaker added, Luhan shook his head refraining from pouting the only reason he was top was because he had someone pushing him to be the best. His eyes widened as an impulsive thought hit him. He smirked as he thought of a way to use this predicament to his own selfish advantage.

"May I appoint a person as my main captain?" He asked making his father and Yifan frown at his sudden interest and compliance,

"If he is suitable, we will not disagree," another warlord and a close friend of Luhan's father spoke up. 

"His name is Xiumin-" Luhan noted his father uncharacteristically tensing up at the name, one rarely brought up in the past years, 

"Ah, yes," the head of Luhan's former academy nodded his agreement, "there is no doubt if the boy had continued his advanced training he would be sitting among us today. He was second in the academy with outstanding military records only second to Xi Èrjíjiàng by mere points" the men around the table nodded seemingly appeased and won over with the numbers presented by the man.

"Very well, you may brief him and call him in for duty. Where is he?"

"In the Southern part of Korea,"

The men broke out into conversations again making Luhan confused, the speaker looked contemplatively at Luhan, 

"If you can contact him, we may use him as Intel before the invasion-"

Luhan's stomach did a weird dip at the word but he nodded all the same, the meeting was dissolved with Yifan leaving in a huff not at all worried at offending anyone. Luhan's father brought him aside as everyone filed out, eyes worried.

"You must change your mind!" He hissed lowly at Luhan who frowned,

"I will not!"

"You're crazy, did you not hear of anything that was said?" At Luhan's blank look he let out a groan truly tortured by his son’s stupidity, "You're a fool! We are going to invade the South!" Luhan's mouth dried reply delayed by shock,

"We're going to wage a war on the South?" His father shook his head exasperated,

"We are merely aiding the North, they have asked us to ally them. Now that you know what is to happen I ask you again to change your mind-"

Luhan shook his head stubbornly, expression affronted at his father's absurd request.

"You cannot expect me to leave Xiumin there when I know they'll be an invasion, he will be killed!"

"So you'll bring him here? To the country that will invade his? And make him work under you? Listen to yourself and tell me you don't sound crazy?" His father let out a laugh of disbelief, but Luhan refused to back down.

"Father, you told me to let him go all those years ago and I did, but I will not let you take him away from me this time. I will bring him here and he will work for me, where he will be safe," Luhan stressed the last point, eyes challenging his father to protest. When he remained silent, Luhan continued, "you can assist me by staying silent about this whole thing, everyone thinks he is Chinese. I will incur no problem-"

"And what of Xiumin, do you think he will come willingly?" Luhan stepped away from his father, mind already made up.

"I will deal with the consequences when they come," he replied indifferently.

His father could only shake his head as he left.

 

-

 

25th June, 1950

The consequences, Luhan thought to himself as Minseok stirred from his sleep, were about to be dealt with shortly. Minseok groaned from his position on the floor, undeniably uncomfortable due to his hands being bounded behind him. A few seconds passed before Minseok shifted again trying to sit up, Luhan came to his aid helping him sit gently. Minseok winced at the artificial light, blinking slowly to get used to it before focusing on Luhan.

"You're really here," was the first thing he said voice still heavy with sleep, "Why am I tied?"  

Luhan glanced at his feet uneasily, unsure of how to break the news to Minseok. 

"I'm taking you somewhere," he replied vaguely making Minseok’s brows furrow, 

"I'm sure a simple 'hello, Xiumin, long time no see, would you like to go out for dinner tonight?' would suffice- you should have waited for my aunt or uncle," Minseok's frown deepened as he realized he still had no shirt on.

"Where are you taking me?" At Luhan silence he started to wriggle trying to free his hands, "Luhan, where are you taking me?" He demanded getting slightly annoyed,

"To China," Luhan whispered, Minseok stopped moving head whipping up to shoot Luhan an incredulous look,

"Have you finally lost your mind? My family will be looking for me- this isn't funny Luhan-" Minseok's mini rant died down at Luhan's serious expression, the other often supported playful expressions in his presence. This type of Luhan would always put him on edge.

"I can't bring you back, Xiumin. I'm sorry," he finally lifted his eyes from the ground to look at Minseok, Minseok held his worry at bay. It would do him no good to panic.

"Why can't you?" Luhan looked at his watch, "Luhan-"Minseok kept his tone even, "why-" he was cut off by the sudden sounds of sirens in the air, distant but clear. His eyes widened in understanding, darting to the uniform Luhan was previously hiding under all the layers he was wearing.      

"You! What have you done?" His voice shook with anger as he raised it in order to be heard over the sirens, suddenly he was on his feet startling Luhan into motion. He was tackled before he could reach the door Luhan getting the upper hand by throwing his whole body on top of Minseok's using his weight to immobilize him. Minseok squirmed wildly trying to throw him off for a minute before he stopped struggling. There was moment of painful silence.

"Get off," Minseok said voice tiny, Luhan bit his lip at the change in tone. He knew from experience Minseok was furious.

"Xiumin," Luhan almost whined, Minseok went rigid under him,

"Get off," he repeated tone still eerily even, "I won't try to escape," 

Luhan got off slowly watching Minseok cautiously, true to his word the other did not even move an inch. Luhan crouched down to help, Minseok hissed when he felt Luhan touch him,

"Don't touch me!" Luhan withdrew his hand quickly, shocked and hurt simultaneously, "don't you dare touch me!" He rolled onto his back grimacing when his hands got squashed before somehow managing to shuffle around until he sat upright. Luhan had to look away when he caught sight of the angry shine in Minseok's eyes, he stood up straightening his uniform.

"Will you come with me willingly?" He asked receiving no answer, he walked over to the table in the corner of the otherwise bare room and poured some water into a cup. He walked back to Minseok despite the icy glare directed at him and held the glass to Minseok's mouth. Minseok pursed his lips, eyes lifting to meet Luhan's dead on.

"It's drugged, isn't it?" Luhan's silence answered his question, his jaw tightened as Luhan forced the water into his mouth and he held back the urge to spit the water back out onto his face. Rebelling at this stage would do him no good. He swallowed the water hating the relief that made itself present on Luhan's face.

"I don't want to hurt you, Xiumin," Minseok scoffed tearing his eyes away from Luhan's own pleading ones, he ignored the guilty churning in his stomach as they flashed in hurt at the response. He knew Luhan was not lying, but his anger would not allow him to comfort the other. Not now, not yet.

"I'll never forgive you," he slurred before the drug took effect, stronger than the last. Luhan caught him before he could fall backwards and untied his hands murmuring teary apologies as he rubbed Minseok's redlined wrists gently.

 

-

 

Minseok's eyes felt heavy, his body even heavier. He struggled to open his eyes, blinking a few times at the brightness that greeted him. Daylight, not artificial his mind supplied, he let his eyes travel around the room. The first thing he noticed was the abundance of red and white then the sounds of synchronized marching followed by a cry of commands, he shut his eyes tightly knowing he was no longer in the South. He attuned his hearing listening for a few more second before going completely still at the sound of the doorknob cracking as it was turned. He shut his eyes quickly as the door opened.

"He will not be able to work immediately, the fever has rendered him completely immobile and delusional," Minseok almost scowled at Luhan's blatant lie, but kept his expression neutral in his pretend sleep.

"I understand Èrjíjiàng, do you want us to get Jin Shangwéi's room ready?" 

"No, he will be staying with me."

"With you, Èrjíjiàng?" The soldier could not hide the surprise in his tone, Minseok fought to stay still himself.

"I shall attend to him personally, there is no need for others to fall sick during such a crucial time."

"I understand Xi Èrjíjiàng, is there anything else you need?"

"An extra mattress and when the head cook is free ask him to report to me, I need to discuss some things with him," 

The door shut and Minseok heard Luhan come closer, it was silent for a few seconds.

"You can stop pretending I know you're awake," Luhan commented sitting down on the edge of the bed. Minseok refused to give in remaining still, Luhan sighed sounding weary.

"I was your roommate for years, Xiumin. Do you think I forgot how you really looked like when you slept?" He sounded slightly amused at the memory, Minseok's eyes snapped open angrily startling the other.

"Are you aware that I could knock you out and escape?" He threatened throwing the covers off him as he sat up.

"I am not the same person you knew all those years ago, Xiumin. I would like to see you try," Luhan was not even the least threatened, position lax.

"Then what of your soldiers, what will they think of their precious Èrjíjiàng, when they find out that the man he brought to be his captain is not Chinese? That he's actually from the South?" Minseok waited for a reaction, "all I have to do is tell the guard you have stationed by the door,"

Luhan's eyebrow lifted in surprise at Minseok's correct guess, yet he still was too calm for Minseok's comfort.

"You would be wasting your time, I've told everyone you're delusional with fever. That you currently think you're South Korean, no one will believe you-"

"How long do you expect them to believe I am down with a 'fever'?" Minseok asked voice rising in anger at the turn of events, anger at his hopelessness and maybe just a little bit angry with how foreign this Luhan was to him.

"For however long it takes for you to agreed to be my captain," Luhan answered with infuriating confidence. Minseok's hands tightened into fists,

"I will never agree!" He hissed venomously, "I will never be your captain!"

Luhan began to frown only now seeing how hard it was going to be to convince Minseok. The latter's glare was so vicious it unsettled him. How was Minseok failing to see all that Luhan was putting on the line for him?

"Do you not see the situation, Minseok?" He said tired of Minseok's anger, especially since it was directed at him, "you really should be thankful,"

Minseok looked aghast at Luhan's audacity, 

"Do you not see the situation?!" He finally spat out agitated, "you kidnapped me!" Luhan's brows furrowed, eyes filling with frustration.

 "You would have been killed if I had left you.."

 Minseok felt a bit of his anger seep away and he was about to relent at the pleading expression on Luhan's face until his brain reminded him of the severity of the situation they were in. They were not teens anymore, Luhan could not get his way by guilt tripping Minseok.

"I didn't ask you to take me with you," Minseok finally answered, something changed in Luhan's face. His eyes hardened devoid of any soft expression, his expression turned cruel.

"Well I never asked you to save me-"

 Minseok unwillingly let out a soft gasp, feeling as if he had been punched in the gut. There was an unspoken vow between them to never speak of the event, more for his sake than for Luhan's. He felt his lower lip tremble threateningly and he lowered his head. He would not allow Luhan to see how much he hurt him. He would not give the other the satisfaction of knowing he could still affect Minseok this way, even after all the years that had gone by.

"Get out," he whispered finding it hard to breathe all of a sudden, Luhan stood slowly.

"I am not leaving because you asked of it, I am only leaving because being in your company is insufferable." He left angrily, Minseok stared at his curled fists blinking rapidly as he repeatedly chanted to himself.

"Don't cry, don't cry, don't cry."

 



A//N: Hey guy, just swinging by to drop this part :) Unfortunately I can't promise frequent updates because of uni :'( So please understand if I suddenly disappear of the face of earth, I'll be back though! Enjoy and Stay Safe everyone <3