Cocoa Caramel

Cocoa Caramel

“I should’ve brought a book…” I scanned the auditorium, not really focusing on its glittering state or bright, coloured lights.
“Oh stop being a sourpuss and go talk to people.” My best friend Chan Mi rolled her eyes at me. She stood beautiful in a shimmering hot pink cocktail dress that flared into a tutu bottom, a wide black sash around her petit waist. Her black pumps made loud noises as she hopped lightly from foot to foot, shifting her weight constantly.
“Introverted and happy.” I took a sip of the fizzy drink in my hand, my stomach rolling and churning from nerves.
“Fine. I will go enjoy myself.” She slipped her bag strap easily over her head of chocolate coloured hair, dark eyes shining with excitement, and disappeared into the sea of teenagers. I shook my head, chuckling.
Smoothing out my lilac asymmetrical dress, I slowly walked to the closest wall, clutching my small white clutch in my hand, its strap dangling slightly.
Placing the cup on a table as I passed, I leaned against the wall slightly, still taking in the scene before me.

I looked out the door to my left and saw pretty girls and well-dressed boys passing back and forth, smiling and laughing.
Someone tapped my shoulder and I jumped, shooting off the wall. My breath caught in my throat as I took in the sight before me.
A smoothly tanned boy stood in a white dress shirt, its sleeves rolled up to his elbows, a skinny black tie around his neck and fitted black trousers adorning his legs. His hair was the colour of cocoa powder and caramel, sitting on his shoulders, and his eyes were swirls of chocolate.
He was a walking treat.

He smiled and bowed slightly.
“Did I scare you? I’m sorry.” His smile was slightly toothy and very apologetic.
I couldn’t help but smile back, my voice non-existent.
“It’s okay. Can I help you with something?” I asked, dragging my voice out from deep in my butterfly-filled gut.
“Actually, I was thinking I could help you. Pretty girls shouldn’t be alone.” He smiled again, cheekily.
I blushed and dipped my head, my hair falling in my face.
“And what about pretty boys?” I teased and he laughed, his cheeks turning pink. It was cute.
“I don’t know about that. Care to enlighten me, pretty girl?” His smile was something between teasing and daring.
“I could but I should know the name of the one I’m enlightening shouldn’t I?” I matched it and clasped my hands daintily in front of me.
He smirked and bowed formally.
“Most people call me Jeonghan but you can call me tonight.” He winked at me and I broke into a giggle, my hand covering my mouth. He smiled and flipped his hair out of his eyes.
“And you, milady?” He held out a hand to me, palm up.
I recovered and curtsied.
“My name is Eun Mi and I won’t call you tonight.” I placed my hand in his and he raised it to his lips, kissing the back of it.
My heart hammered in my chest and my cheeks turned hot.
“Shall we go?” He let go of my hand slowly and offered me his elbow.
“Where to?” I asked, my hand hesitantly reaching for his.
“To dance.” A smirk appeared on his face and a surge of confidence filled me as he pulled me onto the crowded dancefloor.

He smoothly let go of my hand and the confidence left with him. I stood in the front of the ring around Jeonghan and other boys. I recognized some from my other classes and from around the school.
A song came over the speakers and suddenly I was entranced.

Jeonghan was dancing. He and 4 other boys were in the center of the ring and all I registered were the smooth movements of his legs and the silky smooth wave of his arms and torso. They were all very good dancers.
But I had my eyes on the one with the rolled up sleeves and caramel-cocoa hair. He seemed to lock eyes with me and glided over to me and suddenly I had my own personal show.

Small, quick movements of hands coupled with quick steps and a stare that never seemed to waver no matter how much he spun were all I could seem to see.
He took a step closer and simply stared at me; his breaths were deep and even, mine were gone.

And the song was suddenly over.
The roar of the students’ cheers was white noise to me. I couldn’t look away and neither could he.

“To dance?” He offered his palm to me and I took it.
“To dance.” I wasn’t sue the words were even audible but he slipped his other hand around my waist and at that moment I knew he heard me.

We twirled and spun to the sound of Zion T. He had a secure hold on my waist and with every spin, I felt him pull me closer.
He spun me around and then suddenly I was face to face with Jeonghan and my heart skipped 4 beats.

His breath was hot on my lips and his hair tickled my neck invitingly.
“Shall I go?” He whispered, leaning closer every second.
“Go where?” I was very sure I didn’t say a thing but my lips moved anyway.
“Here.” He placed his lips on mine and I felt my heart fly from my chest.
I barely remember sliding one hand up to his face and the other around his neck, his hands settling on my waist.

His lips moved familiarly over mine, as if he’d kissed me before and my fingers twirled the ends of his hair like it was second nature.
A moment too soon he pulled away, both of us equally breathless.

“I will definitely be calling you tonight.” I spoke more to myself than him but he laughed and suddenly I was tasting Jeonghan’s lips again.
He was sweet.