Torn

Here to Stay

Siwon was still in his office at 8 p.m. that Friday night. In all his life this had been the longest, hardest week he had ever had. Anything that could have gone wrong did. A minor market crash had caused one of his largest clients to lose more money than they had initially invested. Most of his week had been spent trying to smooth things out, and he had narrowly avoided losing them as a client altogether. Still, there was the chance that when the stock market made a come back they would pull out when they could break even. But that was a worry for another day.

After three days of waiting, the hospital had finally called with the results of the paternity test. Seojoon was his son. He had asked the nurse at least three times if they were positive.

“The results were conclusive. Seojoon is your son. Congratulations.”

The words still echoed in his mind. Congratulations? What was there to celebrate? He felt like his whole world had fallen apart in less than a week. What about everything he had worked so hard to create? He couldn’t be a single dad and run his business. Heck, he didn’t think he could be a father at all. He was terrible with kids. He really didn’t like them, and he was pretty sure they all hated him too.

The documents he had been reviewing, trying to find a way to get his client their money back, were strewn across his desk. He had been trying to make sense of the figures and predictions since his last employee had gone home two hours ago. His efforts were futile though, as his head was still spinning, trying to process the fact that he was a father. There was a tiny little human being that he was responsible for. The thought alone terrified him, and he had no idea what he was going to do.

Siwon picked up his phone and scrolled through his contacts until he found Kyuhyun’s name. He hit the compose message button and hesitated before typing.

Can I come by tonight? I need to talk to you.

He put his phone to the side and tried to focus on the work in front of him. His phone buzzed almost instantly with Kyuhyun’s reply.

Sure. We were just getting ready to put Seojoon down for the night. When will you be here?

Siwon thought for a moment before replying. There was no use in putting it off. He had to tell Kyuhyun and Zhou Mi the results of the test. They had been looking after Seojoon all week for him.

I’m leaving the office now.

He packed the documents up into his briefcase, figuring he might be able to get a chance to look at them that weekend. He grabbed his coat that he had thrown over the spare chair in the corner of his office and headed towards the elevator. Looking around the office, he saw one thing clearly: he couldn’t give this up. This company was his child, and he didn’t think he could keep it going and take care of a baby.

***

Fifteen minutes later, Siwon parked his car outside of Kyuhyun and Zhou Mi’s apartment building. The doorman, who recognized him from all of his previous visits, let him inside and he took the elevator up to their floor. He stood in front of their door with his hand raised and posed to knock for a good five minutes before the door opened to reveal Kyuhyun.

“How’d you…” Siwon started, but Kyuhyun cut him off before he could finish his question.

“Baekhyun called up to let us know you were here.”

“Oh,” Siwon whispered and followed Kyuhyun inside to where Zhou Mi was sitting on their living room couch, mostly engrossed in the drama that was playing on the television.

“Sit down,” Kyuhyun said and pointed to the chair that sat in the corner while he sat down next to Zhou Mi, moving closer so that their thighs were pressed together. “Did you hear from the hospital yet?”

Siwon had always appreciated the fact that Kyuhyun was incredibly straightforward. It made him a good businessman, and an even better business partner and friend. But at this moment Siwon was wishing that Kyuhyun would give him another minute to prepare, to pretend that this wasn’t happening.

“Yes,” Siwon said quietly and then looked down at his hands that were folded in his lap. “The test results came back. Seojoon is my son.”

Zhou Mi couldn’t help the small gasp of surprise that escaped his lips. He slid his hand onto Kyuhyun’s knee and squeezed while he muted the TV so that they could talk more easily.

“Are they absolutely positive?” Zhou Mi asked, breaking the heavy silence that had fallen over them.

Siwon nodded and finally looked up to meet their worried gazes.

“Yes, absolutely. He’s my son.”

They sat in silence for a while, looking at each other wondering the same thing: what next? Nobody wanted to ask the question. They didn’t want to make this situation real.

Just as Kyuhyun opened his mouth to speak, they heard a small cry from the other room where Seojoon was sleeping. Zhou Mi and Kyuhyun exchanged a quick, knowing glance.

“I’ll get him,” Zhou Mi said without any hesitation. He stood and went to the other room, leaving Kyuhyun alone with Siwon.

“I hate to ask the question, “ Kyuhyun started. “But what are you going to do?”

Siwon let out a heavy sigh and his head fell into his hands. He had been asking himself that question all week, but he still didn’t have an answer. The way he looked at things he had two options: keep Seojoon and be a father, or place Seojoon in the foster system and hope that somebody adopted him.

The second option seemed incredibly unfair, until he really began to think about the first option. He wasn’t cut out to be a father. Even if he decided to try and raise Seojoon, he would end up hiring someone to care for him. He was too busy with his company to raise a child. Not to mention the fact that he didn’t know the first thing about kids. Seojoon would end up being raised by a nanny. He would only have one parent, and he knew that he would hardly be able to be around for Seojoon. He could afford to give him a good life for sure, but it would be a life without a loving family. How could that be the better option? Surely there was a family out there who wanted a healthy baby boy. They would be able to love him and care for him in a way that Siwon never could.

“On Monday I will call a social worker. I’m not cut out to be a father, Kyuhyun. I think the best option is to place him in foster care so that a couple can adopt him.”

Right as Siwon finished speaking, Zhou Mi emerged from the other room holding a crying Seojoon, whom he bounced up and down in an attempt to soothe him. Siwon looked up at his son, who was on his tiny fingers, and for a moment he saw himself in that tiny little person. He saw his son, whom he had never expected or wanted, and inside he felt his heart break a little. He was a father, and no matter what happened next that wouldn’t change.

“I think you should at least think about it over the weekend. It’s not a decision that you can undo if you regret it in the future,” Kyuhyun advised as Zhou Mi took a seat next to him again, bouncing Seojoon on his knee and making silly faces at him.

“For what it’s worth, Siwon, I think you could be a good father if you gave Seojoon a chance,” Zhou Mi said as he continued to play with him.

“Me too,” Kyuhyun agreed. “Do you want to hold him for a minute?”

Siwon looked at Seojoon, who had turned around and was staring straight at him, confused by the unfamiliar man in the room.

“No, that’s okay. I think I should be going. I will call the social worker first thing on Monday and can come and get him then. Can you keep him over the weekend? I have so much work to do, and he seems to be comfortable with you two,” Siwon said as he stood and put his coat on.

“Of course. He’s been really good, and seems to like Zhou Mi a lot,” Kyuhyun said. And as if to prove his point, Seojoon let out a happy squeal at one of the faces Zhou Mi had made, and reached up to try to grab his glasses.

“Thank you both so much. I don’t know how I am every going to repay you for your help this week. Hopefully this nightmare will be over soon,” Siwon said and moved towards the door to leave. Kyuhyun stood up and followed him out. Kyuhyun closed the door behind him so that they were alone in the hallway and grabbed Siwon’s arm before he could make his escape.

“Promise me that you will think about it? I would hate to see you regret this some day,” Kyuhyun asked.

Siwon sighed and shook his arm out of Kyuhyun’s grip.

“Even if I do regret it somebody, I know that it’s what is best for Seojoon. I couldn’t give him the love and family he deserves. This is best for him, and everyone else involved.”

Without another word Siwon turned and headed back towards the elevator he had come up in. He heard a door slam behind him and knew that Kyuhyun had gone back inside. As he headed down to his car he had a sinking feeling in his gut. Was this really what was best for everyone? There were too many unknowns to make things clear.

Hi there. Just wanted to say that I am still working on this. I'm just working again and am still in the process of searching for a "big girl" job, so things are a bit busy and I don't have much time for fun things. I was also binge watching My Love From Another Star. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. It was probably my favorite K-Drama I have seen so far. But anyway, I am going to try to keep at this one. ConfesstoShisus you will get your Siwon!het next chapter. I promise.