Surprise!

Here to Stay

Siwon paced his office frantically, glancing at the chair in the corner every time he reached the edge of his desk. His cell phone was clasped in his hand and it kept buzzing but he didn’t answer it. He couldn’t think right now. He could hardly even breathe. He had worked so hard to start his own investment company and he had come so far. They had just hired their fiftieth employee, something they had all gone out to celebrate. Things were only looking up for him and his company; he couldn’t believe that he had ed everything up like this. He had always been so careful. Always! There was no way this was happening.

“What is it, Siwon? What’s so urgent?” Kyuhyun asked as he burst into the room.

Kyuhyun was Siwon’s number one advisor. He had been his first official employee and had been there from the start. Siwon trusted Kyuhyun with everything, which was good; because he needed somebody he could really trust with what had just been dumped on him.

At that moment a small cry came from the corner of the room, and both Siwon and Kyuhyun looked over to where a baby carrier was sitting in one of the expensive office chairs.

“Is that a…a baby?” Kyuhyun asked, incredulous.

What had started as just a few small whimpers was now growing to a full roar. Kyuhyun approached the baby, undid the buckles, and picked the crying child up, trying to comfort it.

“Siwon, why is there a baby in your office?”

Siwon let out a deep, frustrated sigh and ran a hand through his tousled hair.

“That is a very, very good question, Kyuhyun,” Siwon said and picked up a piece of paper that was on his desk and handed it to Kyuhyun. “I don’t know how they got in here, but when I arrived this morning he was here and there was this note.”

Kyuhyun shifted the child to hold him with one arm and took the note from Siwon. He started to read it aloud.

Siwon, I know you don’t remember me, but I certainly remember you. My name is Taeyeon. We were together for one night a little over a year ago. When I found out I was pregnant, I was horrified. This is your son. His name is Seojoon and his birthday is April 23, 2015. I’m sorry that I can’t care for him, but he is your son. Please let him know that I am sorry and I love him.

Kyuhyun looked up from the note, his jaw hanging open.

“So this is your kid!?” Kyuhyun asked, still unable to believe what this Tuesday morning had brought them.

“I don’t know!” Siwon nearly shouted, throwing his hands up on the air and collapsing into his chair.

“I’ve had a lot of one night stands,” Siwon said quietly, though it was no secret between them. “I don’t remember anyone named Taeyeon, but it’s possible.”

Siwon laid his head on his desk in defeat.

“Kyuhyun, what am I going to do?”

Kyuhyun pulled up a chair and sat down, the baby still in his arms had quieted now and looked up at him with big, brown eyes.

“I mean it’s possible the kid isn’t yours. You can do a paternity test and if he’s not yours, then it’s not your problem.”

Siwon sat up and his face lightened up a bit, seeing the possibility that this was all just a misunderstanding.

“Yes, that’s it! But what if the test comes back and he is my kid?” Siwon asked, dreading the possibility that Kyuhyun’s theory was wrong.

“Let’s not worry about that until we have to, alright?” Kyuhyun said and adjusted himself so he could pull his cell phone out of his pocket. “We can go straight to the hospital from here, but I’m going to call Zhou Mi. You’re going to need some diapers and formula for him soon.”

Siwon nodded and started reorganizing his desk, a nervous habit he always had.

“How are we going to get him out of here? I don’t want anyone to know what is going on.” Siwon expressed as he stood and put on his coat.

“My nephew is about the same age, if anybody asks, we’ll just tell them that I brought him in to meet his Uncle Siwon,” Kyuhyun suggested as he began strapping Seojoon back into the baby carrier.

They left Siwon’s office together and headed towards the elevator. Once they were inside, Kyuhyun dialed Zhou Mi’s number.

“Hey Mi, is Ryewook there today that he could cover for you? I need you to do me a huge favor and run an errand for me,” Kyuhyun said.

“Yeah, he is. What is it?”

Kyuhyun let out a deep sigh before he spoke, realizing how crazy what he was about to ask would sound.

“I need you to go get some baby supplies.”

On the other end Zhou Mi started laughing.

“You aren’t pregnant are you, Kui Xian?” Zhou Mi said through his laughter. “Because, I know we talked about wanting kids, but this is rather unexpected.”

“Haha, very funny. No,” Kyuhyun retorted sarcastically. “I’ll explain later, but I really need you to at least get diapers, formula, and a bottle or two.”

“Alright, but I’m slightly concerned. What’s going on?”

“I’ll meet you at home in a few hours and it will make more sense then, I promise. I can’t explain now,” Kyuhyun said in a hurry as they had reached the ground level and the elevator was opening.

They said goodbye and Kyuhyun hung up as he headed towards the parking garage with Siwon. Kyuhyun strapped the baby carrier into his backseat while Siwon got up front.

“Relax, Siwon, everything’s going to be okay,” Kyuhyun reassured as he pulled out of the garage and onto the busy street.

Siwon didn’t respond, but in his head he was beginning to wonder if things really weren’t going to be okay.