Guilty

Guilty

“What do you think would hurt more? Losing a life-long friend or the love of your life?” she lay in Jimin’s arms for the second time that week, covers pulled over their bare bodies, with his face nuzzled near her ear.

He fell asleep, she thought to herself after receiving no response. It would hurt more to lose a life-long friend, she realized. The one person that knows everything about you, the one person that you can go to whenever you’re having any kind of troubles. The one person that should never betray you.

The first time it happened, she had been angry with Taehyung after an argument and was venting to Jimin about him. She didn’t know what had gotten into her when she pulled him in for a kiss but he let her and so she shut off her mind, letting herself be consumed in the moment, letting go of any morals she had. The next day had been torture when she looked Taehyung in the eyes and lied to him about where she had been; what she had done.

She vowed it would never happen again. Ever.

She lay there the second time, two days later, in the arms of her boyfriend’s best friend. This time, it wasn’t anything but her own lust and greed for more. Maybe she wasn’t in love with Taehyung as much as she thought she was? Maybe this was her way of finding out that she wasn’t going to be with Taehyung forever? After all, a woman in love wouldn’t do something so stupid as to cheat on the man she loves. And what man would forgive his lover for sleeping with his own best friend?

---

“We should break up,” she was sitting with Taehyung in his house a few days later, watching TV. It shocked him to hear those words.

“Why?” he turned his body to face her, confusion written all over their face. For all he knew, their relationship was perfect; there was nothing wrong.

“I just don’t love you anymore,” she spoke in a monotone voice.

It hurt to break his heart like this. She tried to be stoic so as to not let him see the turmoil inside of her for having to leave him. Didn't want him to know that as much as she didn't want to leave, she had to. She had committed one of the worst sins against their relationship; it wasn't something she could come back from. She didn’t want to do it, but they wouldn’t hurt for long; he wouldn’t hurt for long. He would one day find the girl he was meant to be with, someone who would treat him much better than she had.

“Did I...did I do something? Is there anything I’ve done?” he was blaming himself; of course he would be. He always saw the good in others; he would never think that she was the one who ruined their relationship.

“No, you didn’t do anything. You were...are perfect--"

"Then why...?" he couldn't wrap his head around her reasoning. If he was perfect, then there shouldn't be a problem.

"I told you, I just don't love you anymore, I don't want to be with you anymore," her heart stung as she said those words. His eyes began to glisten, pain filling them as he tried to scan her face for more answers, for anything that would make sense.

"I don't understand..." he breathed. How could they go from being happy one day to breaking up the next?

"That's life, Tae," she stood, walking to pick up her jacket and purse from the chair she had left them on.

"No, we can work this out, don't leave...I love you," he sounded defeated.

She held back the tears that were threatening to drop any moment. Those three words that meant so much to her just a few days ago were now tainted, ruined by her own lust. She couldn't give in to her emotions now. He would be in much more pain if he ever found out what she had done behind his back.

He stood, walking towards her and gently holding her hand, hoping she would be reasonable.

"I'm sorry, there's nothing we can do. Thank you for the time we had together. You're an amazing man, don't forget that--"

"If it was what I said during our argument a few days ago, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to go off on you like that..."

He was still thinking of something that he might have done wrong. Something that could have sparked this sudden turn of events.

She took in a sharp breath, remembering the night of their argument and what happened after she stormed off to Jimin's house. The memory of those two nights were reason enough. She had to leave him; there was no question.

"Tae," she turned to him and placed a hand on his cheek. He leaned into her hand, taking his own up to hold her’s, "you did nothing wrong. It's me. I just can't be with you anymore. It'll be hard the first few weeks, but you'll get over me. It won't last forever."

"Please," he begged, the tears that had formed in his eyes now running down his cheeks. She removed her hand from his face, from his hand.

“Goodbye, Taehyung.”