Light; Memories in Darkness

Meteor's Light
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

5th January 2000

I remember that day like it was yesterday, the day of my 10th birthday.

“Good morning… mum.” This scenario constantly replays in my mind, like an old looping movie. A smaller version of me in my pyjamas rubbing his eyes, greeting my mum in the kitchen. She smiles ever so gently, bringing with her comfort that I haven’t felt in years.

“Good morning, Seobie. “ A wide smile spreads across my face as she holds me gently in her arms. “Happy 10th birthday, darling. Are you excited for your big day?”

“Ohhhh. You’re finally 10 huh? Another step closer to being a man.” Dad grabbed me and lifted me upped in the air as I giggled. Grandma and Grandpa stood behind him, smiling. We sat around the table and ate breakfast, discussing our plans for the day. “So, you’re going to the forest to meet Daniel first before coming home for the celebrations?”

“Yeap!” the smaller version of me jumps off his seat and runs to the balcony to wear his shoes, “I will be back for my cake so you better not eat it, dad!” They chuckle as he runs off into the woods.

No, don’t. Go back! This is the last time you will see them! Don’t leave them, go back home, please!

“Hmmm, where’s Daniel…” he puffs his cheeks as he sat on the tree, staring at the village, searching for his playmate. I struggled to scream and shout, to get my words to reach him. If he doesn’t go back now it will be too la- BOOM.

A village effulged in flames.

The boy who sits on the tree, eyes wide with disbelief. He rushes down the tree, only to fall to the ground. He’s in pain, but it doesn’t stop him, he limps towards the village and just as he was about to approach it, 3 chains of explosions activated.

And all the boy could do was stare as his entire life was burnt down to crisp.

When the police arrived, they found me sit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter