Prelude to Warrior and the Elf

Jong Kook and Ji Hyo

He woke from his sleep, startled from a sound in the corner of the room, it was a rat. Jong Kook the red warrior couldn't sleep any more despite his body was worn out from today’s activities. 

 

He had missed adventuring in a band.  He remembered his first band, Turbo, he had formed with a thief. It didn't last long before his partner decided to work alone, better profit his partner had said. He then banded together with a ranger. Then it was him that got tired of working together and chose to work alone for 8 years, although he did occasionally join bands on temporary basis. He finally joined the band "family outing" when the band extended an offer to him to join them as a permanent member. 

 

Working in that band was something that had changed him He began to loosen up and understood the meaning of fun and comradeship. Under Jae Suk, the blue mage leadership, they had done well. When Jae Suk wanted a break in adventuring, the whole band decided to split. The other members changed job and no longer in adventuring. Jong Kook was alone again. 

 

Half a year later, here he was, he missed the time where he knew someone will be watching his back. That was the night he decided to form his own band.

 

He went to look for Jae Suk again, he missed the leadership and wisdom of the previous leader. Jae Suk had agreed to join but was unwilling to be the leader. Jong Kook took up the leadership instead. Jae Suk suggested a good mix of the members this round. Jong Kook remembered Haha his best friend, Haha was a thief. HaHa brought in Gary, a ranger. Jae Suk brought in his good friend Suk Jin, a cleric. They needed two more members, a monk and an archer; they decided to advertise for suitable members. They found Kwang Soo, the monk, suitable and asked him to join joined their band. Although Kwang Soo was candid and often clumsy, he offered suitable peace to the band. The archer is the most difficult. It is a rare profession, the ones that they met, the band had found difficulties integrating him/her to the group.

 

On a rescue mission, they had to advertise for an archer and Ji Hyo, an elf, had come highly recommended. After two missions together, both Jae Suk and Jong Kook found her a great archer and the band had also liked her.

 

Jong Kook extended his offer for Ji Hyo to join the band. He remembered Ji Hyo had disagreed, saying she was used working alone. Jong Kook had been hurt that Ji Hyo turned him down. Jae Suk however had pleaded a second chance for Ji Hyo. He felt the elf needed company and the band would do her some good. He went personally to invite her and perusaded her to join by discussing with her the different benefits of joining the band. She finally agreed and "Running Man" was formed officially. 

 

Jong Kook and Ji Hyo had a rough start. Jong Kook practically ignored Ji Hyo existence because he was still hurt from her outward rejection and also he was shy around female species. 

 

Ji Hyo was also shy and found it difficult working in such a big band. Some of the members were friendlier and in a few days, she grew comfortable around them. But Jong Kook had been the difficult one. He had built a invisible wall around him, and she found it hard to be friends with him.

 

In a few missions, she found that he was a caring leader, he would make sure that she and the band was well taken care of during dangerous missions. He had taken a few blows for her and helped making sure the others were healed before he did. 

 

The turning point is when she saw him cast an elven spell. Although she was an elf, she had grown up in human world and had yearned for life in elven land. But she lacked the courage going there herself. How she knew that was a elven spell she didn't know, but her blood had definitely recognised it.She pulled him aside and threatened to expose him. Jong Kook was shocked and tried to deny the use of magical spell but he saw her determination in her eye. He thought she had recognised the spell due to her heritage. He sighed and asked Ji Hyo to keep his secret under wrapped. He explained to her that he was born a human but raised with the elves. They had trusted him enough to impart some elven magical spell to him but he promised not to use them unless in danger. Ji Hyo eyes were now filled with envy, she told him her secret and demanded that Jong Kook to bring her to the elven land.

Jong Kook understood the pain, which was why he had chosen to adventure, he had not fit in in the land that raised him, nor was he fit in in this land that he was from. He sighed and agreed. He promised her to bring her when the band disbanded. Ji Hyo agreed.

From then on, their relationship changes, from enemy to someone they empathise with. Both of them lowered their walls around them and they soon become friends. The rest of band were amazed at the turn of events. Sometimes they noticed the two of them will slip off somewhere and came back together again later. However, they quite believe their relationship is the simplest form of friendship.

In the next few years, Ji Hyo had learnt to trust the bands as if they are her brothers but Jong Kook… Jong Kook was someone she didn’t feel like calling him brother, he was someone that is more to her than just brother. The feelings were alien.

Jong Kook had never felt comfortable around females, except for Ji Hyo and his mum. He was happy that Ji Hyo treated him better than the other members, although he was not very sure where he stood in her heart. He knew he had come to love her, and the love had grown so much that he was willing to do anything for her as long as she was happy. He only hoped his love for her will never be known to the other members.

His hope was dashed when Jae Suk pulled him out and talked to him privately. He asked Jong Kook for his feeling towards Ji Hyo. Jong Kook was stunned but he was not willing to admit nor refute Jae Suk's statement. Jong Kook stared at Jae Suk blankly. Jae Suk sighed, he was able to read Jong Kook like an opened book and he could tell Jong Kook had deep feelings for the elf. He wanted to warn Jong Kook that he would hurt the elf more in the end, but he couldn’t bring himself to issue the warning, it would have pushed Jong Kook to the edge. He kept his silent and in his heart apologised to Ji Hyo for the unfair treatment.

Jong Kook had decided the final mission for the band, it was to the nasty dragon lair to kill the evil dragon and seized some of its treasure for the band to retire and lived comfortable in the future. He had also promised Ji Hyo that he will accompany her back to the elven land, he had finally decided he did belong there more than human world and hopefully, the elves would accept both of them.