Morality Boost

Our Own ways

Bouncing tha ball brought back all the memories of playing basketball when i was younger, it felt right, it had been a while so i was a bit rusty than i was before, i remembered all the tricks that oppa taught me it was mostly ball handling amd shooting. I enjoyed shooting three-pointers the most because in that moment when you recieve that ball and step on the line, it's all you. I breathed focusing on the hoop jumping into a fade away and throwing the ball making it into the hoop. 

From behind my oppa was clapping. "You've still got it Yul." He said warmly smiling at me. 

"Oh hey oppa." I greeted him, putting my arms around him for a hug. 

"Heya kiddo," He ruffled my hair as if we were still the 7 yr old and 11 yr old that played basketball together until the sun went down "You still play?" 

"I just got back into it actually." I lowered my head. 

"I heard from Siwon that you got back to coaching too, it was nice to hear Yul." 

I nodded my head "Hows college basketball?" 

"Alright, our coach had us training from sun rise to sun set so he told us all to get some rest until the next game." 

I admired my oppa, he never lost his passion to play basketball. 

"I heard you guys are going to be going head to head with S.E.A" 

"Yep, you heard right oppa." 

"Are you going to play?" 

"huh?" 

"Against them, are you gonna play on the courts?" I scoffed, why would i play?

"I can't play with the guys oppa." 

"Sure you can, its the 21st century Yuri-ya plus its only highschool." He was right, there wasn't any strict rule against a girl playing in the team, it was just unheard of, they wouldn't have needed to make a rule about it since no girl is interested in playing, and i wasn't either. 

"I'll just stick to my role as a coach oppa." He frowned, he grabbed the ball that was inside his gym bag and passed it to me. 

"Come on lets play a game like old times." I smiled teeth and all, i had been waiting to hear those words. I pass him back the ball "check." 

He starts to dribble the ball and hes faster than i ever remembered. They must've trained him hard at college. "You remember what i taught you right Yul?" 

I nodded, keeping my eyes on the ball. "All you have to be is confident in yourself, don't move too fast or you'll trip yourself up, don't move too slow otherwise the opponent will easily get the ball, you have to move at the pace you're comfortable in, you also have to vary the pace so your opponent wont be able to figure out your pace." I nodded again mentally keeping note.

Oppa lets up an opening in which was a chance for me to grab the the ball i reached out and fall onto the ground. "We've got a long way to go kiddo."

 

-/-/-

 

It was our second match against another school, J.Y.P high, they were above average but i could see from the sideline that each player prefered to be solo, all though the guys were good they simply lacked teamwork. the score was 24:28 to J.Y.P but we still had a long way to go. 

"Right, i think we've been easy on them guys. Lets change up our formations." I substitute Siwon in, i got the freshmans to play first so i could see their abilities more clearly and to test them out. They weren't bad at all, just needed more training. As soon as i sub Siwon in, the team manages to draw with J.Y.P. 

it was the last five minutes. "Good job Siwon, Hae you're in for final last minutes, Leeteuk focus on those three pointers and let's end this." We all put our hands together "Alright lets go team!" 

team player no.7 Wang, is pretty persistent on not letting Siwon get anywhere, the kids a freshman from what i can see but he had talent in playing basketball. Siwon pushes past him managing to get to the other half of the court, he passes it to Leeteuk in which Leeteuk then shoots the ball for a three pointer. But misses. 

Again the ball is passes to Leeteuk on the three pointer line by Hae but Leeteuk misses again. "What the hell is wrong with him." Sooyoung gets up from the bench we were only 3 points away from winning all we needed was Leeteuk to make the the shot before we ran out of time. There were 10 seconds left and Leeteuk missed another chance.  "Leeteuk!" Sooyoung shouted. Leeteuk looked for the voice. "You can do it! Make the shot dammit!" And so he did with five seconds on the clock. 

He made the shot. The crowd cheered and the buzzer then went off. 

"Cheongdong High goes on to the next match!" The crowd cheered louder, i stick up a thumb to Leeteuk on the other side of the court and he smiles back. 

I catch Leeteuk sitting on the stairs by the hall, "Hey," I start. He gives me a half smile in return. "You okay bud?" 

"Yeah, man, im good." He reassures me.

"You don't look like it." I rub his back, usually Teuk wouldn't have had a problem with making a three pointer, it was unsual seeing him mess up so many times. 

"It just got to my head." He lowers his head. I nod saying nothing, letting him talk "Its our last year and we havent had the chance on making it to the finals, i was out there in the courts and all i could think about was how we had always come close to it but never did, it just made me realise that we hadn't made it that far." I sigh, patting his back. 

"And also i was thinking about Sooyoung." My eyebrow shot up. 

"Oh yeah? what about our Sooyoung." I knew Leeteuk had had feelings for Soo since we were younger, those two actually used to get along well when we were younger, Sooyoung one day started to go to the courts to watch us play. Leeteuk was the one she was watching though. That was when we hadn't met Siwon. Leeteuk always tried to show off whenever Soo came around, but when we invited Siwon to play ball with us, Sooyoung had a change of heart. 

"Aish Yul, you know what i mean." He nudges me. 

"Still hung up on her are you bud?" I tease, grabbing a can of coke i handed it to him. 

"Thanks Yul." He took a sip " The whole time i could only see Sooyoung watching Siwon on the courts, it kinda hurt." I nod again.

"Leeteuk," He faces me. "You can't win Soo over by being a better player than Siwon thats not how it works." 

"What do you mean?" 

"Well fortunately for you Siwons not interested in any girls, all he seems to care about is his team, he loves us like we're family. All i'm saying is there are other ways to get into Soo's heart than just showing her tricks with a basketball." 

He slowly nods his head, "You're right." 

"Always am, you know shes out there right? she went to grab a drink by the vending machine. Nows the time." I encouraged him, he gets up to his feet all pumped. 

"You're right Yul! Nows my time." I laugh at his enthusiasm.

 "Go man! go get the girl."