--six

the ineffable man

It was a nightmare, really.

Mark frowned, recalling how Irene had pushed the men out of the room; stating that Wendy needed space to change. What he didn’t get, however, was why she pushed him out of his own office. He pushed the thought out of his mind and slip into his dress shirt that Wendy had worn just before.

It almost had him giggling at the thought of an indirect contact with the girl; almost.

His fingers fumbled for the buttons as he put his shirt back on. When he was done, the man had left it like that; not bothering to wear both the tie and suit as expected of his daily attire. He raised an eyebrow when he noticed two young men snickering at him, wondering what silly ideas they had in their silly brains.

“What?” Mark muttered defensively.

Jinyoung gave the man a goofy smile, one that Mark really didn’t liked. He then wrapped an arm around the man’s shoulders, bringing him closer.

“You and Wendy, huh.” He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively.

Mark had pushed the man away, though his small smile didn’t went unnoticed.

“It’s nothing like that.”

“Come on.” Jaebum whined. “You guys were practically half in the same room!”

“Not every half guy wants to have with a half- girl.” The man corrected but upon seeing the two not buying his story, he relented. “But I guess it was close enough.”

“You do like her.” Jinyoung stated proudly.

Mark only grunted as a response, leaving both Jinyoung and Jaebum grinning from ear to ear. It was rare to see Mark admit of his feelings; much less his lust and the two were arguably enjoying the sight of their disgruntled friend right in front of them.

“So what now?” Jinyoung asked but Mark only shrugged his shoulders.

“I don’t know.”

“Are you going to tell her?”

“Most likely not.”

“Why?!”

The man pursed his lips together, wondering how the idea of him confessing ever ended up in Jinyoung’s head. He wasn’t a man to confess his feelings for a woman and he certainly wasn’t the romantic type either. He only had those nightly dates so far and he preferred them that way too. Never once had he had the urge to go after a girl and tie her down to him; for he too, wasn’t the committed type.

In fact, if he had guessed correctly, Wendy was very much the opposite of him.

Too cute and too romantic; always fantasising about finding “the one”. He noticed it of course; he always saw her read her sappy love novels when she had nothing to do.

Or more correctly, when he had given her nothing to do.

In answer to Jinyoung’s question, Mark realised he could only shrugged his shoulders.

“You have to tell her how you feel.” Jinyoung urged his friend. “It’ll be beneficial for you two.”

“Why must I do what you say?”

“Because-”

“Because?”

“Yeah.” Jaebum butted in, much to his dismay. “Why should Mark listen to you? You’re not exactly a good example to him.”

“Oh yeah?”

“You haven’t even confessed to Seulgi.” Jaebum pointed out.

Mark looked on in disbelief. “You haven’t confessed to her? I thought you guys were together?”

“It’s complicated.” Jinyoung threw a glare towards Jaebum’s direction.

“Oh yeah?” Mark was having none of it. “How about we make a deal?”

“What deal?”

“You confess to Seulgi and I confess to Wendy and we’ll see how things play out.”

Jinyoung frowned. He didn’t want to see how things played out for he already liked how things were right now. He also admitted that it was a little bit unfair for he knew how far Seulgi had went for him these past couple of days. The man also wanted something more, but he was just afraid of letting things change.

“You guys figure this childish issue, then.” Jaebum raised his hands in defeat. “I’m going to go help Yugyeom and see the new cute girl.”

“Oh right.” Jinyoung recalled Irene’s no-face assistant. “What was her name again? Was it Roy?”

“It’s Joy.” Jaebum rolled his eyes as he went down the stairs. “See you losers later.”

Jinyoung heaved a sigh of relief, but it was obviously too soon as the man turned back towards them.

“Oh. Before I forget.” He teased. “Don’t be late for the meeting tomorrow. It’s at 8.”

“Why would we be late?”

“Assuming your confession goes well, things might get a little… spicy.”

On cue, both Mark and Jinyoung had turned red in the faces before they shooed him out of their sights.

“Don’t be late.” Jaebum laughed heartily. “Though you can always take the day off. I’d understand.”

“That idiot.” Mark narrowed his eyes. “Who does he think he is? I am the boss. I planned that meeting.”

Jinyoung looked on uncomfortably, as he placed his hands on the man’s shoulders; as though to reassure him.

“He might be right, you know. We can never be too careful.”

“But that would mean that you’re planning to…”

Jinyoung nodded his head solemnly. “I’m definitely planning that.”

“Weren’t you the simple confession type?”

“I am.” Jinyoung stared at him weirdly.

“But you just said…”

“Huh?”

Mark then chuckled nervously, realising that he was the one that was misunderstanding things. “Oh. I thought you were planning to get Seulgi in bed.”

As if on cue, the doors had opened; leaving a bewildered looking young woman at the door. She raised an eyebrow before shaking her head as she passed them.

“Men.” Irene sighed. “I’ll pretend I didn’t hear that.”

“It’s not-“ Jinyoung muttered defensively but found that Mark didn’t helped him. “Say something!”

“Anyway,” Irene then pointed towards Mark. “Mr. Tuan, I’ll get my assistant to leave the new designs with Yugyeom. Dressing your assistant took too much time out of my schedule.”

“But-”

“I’ll probably come for the meeting tomorrow.” Irene walked off. “We can talk then.”

“I wasn’t planning to get Seulgi into bed!” Jinyoung had shouted. “I was just planning to confess to her! Yeah! One sweet, simple confession!”

The woman just waved her hands coolly, not paying much attention to what the man had been saying.

When Wendy and Seulgi appeared out of his office, Mark found himself staring at the girl. It was just like his annoying friends to make his already stupid life more miserable.

There she was; Wendy Son in his 2014 design.

He’d seen many models worn it and yet the girl in front of him seemed to fit it the best. His heart skipped a beat and he found himself lost in her beauty. It wasn’t until Jinyoung had given him a nudge that the man finally snapped back to his senses.

“Please help me.” Jinyoung whispered pleadingly. “She’s looking at me weirdly.”

Mark then turned his attention towards the other girl, and he felt weird at the fact that he didn’t realised that she had been there with Wendy all along. True enough to Jinyoung’s words, the girl had widened her eyes in disbelief; obviously at the lack of common sense in his friend’s previous words.

JInyoung just had to shout out his stupid thoughts like that.

Then again, Jinyoung was the type to do such things after all, Mark snickered to himself.

“I’ll get back to work now.” Seulgi uttered awkwardly as she made her way out of the office.

“Seulgi.” Mark called out to her and Jinyoung thanked the heavens that the man was finally sticking up for him.

The girl turned around expectantly, but when the words had left his mouth, Seulgi only looked on disbelief.

“I want you to take the day off.”

“B-But why?”

“I don’t like having awkward relationships in my office.” Mark explained. “It’s best you settle whatever it is you have with Jinyoung.”

“But Mr. Tuan-”

“It’s for the sake of the company.” He cut her off. “It’s especially crucial since the two of you do work together in the first place.”

Truth was; it wasn’t anything like that at all. It was just payback to whatever Jinyoung had thrown in his way for the past one month.

Revenge is sweet.

The other man could only widen his mouth at the ridiculousness that he had caught himself in. Since when did Mark become so petty?

“But we’re not awkward at all!” Seulgi protested.

“Seulgi…”

The girl then turned towards her friend, pushing her right into the man’s arms. Wendy stumbled, but soon regained her footing when Mark had helped her up. She gave a quick blush and quickly stood behind Jinyoung; she always felt safe when she’s standing behind him.

And she always deemed her moments with Mr. Tuan very dangerous.

“If we’re playing it like that, you’re more awkward with Wendy, Mr. Tuan.”

“Wha-”

“Oh yes.” Jinyoung nodded his head gleefully at the girl’s quick idea. “Maybe you should take the day off, Mark.”

“That is definitely a good idea, Jin- Mr. Park!” Seulgi agreed wholeheartedly. “It is crucial for the company, of course.”

“You guys…”

“Um, excuse me.” Wendy, clueless at the situation, raised her hands amidst the chaos. “Can I ask something?”

“What?!” The three shouted, but upon seeing how nervously in sync they were, they giggled sheepishly.

“Uh… I’m sorry, but I don’t really want to wear this dress.” Wendy apologised profusely. “It’s a little tight. I was wondering if I could head home to change and then I’ll head back to the office. It won’t take long, I promise.”

The three only looked on amazingly at the girl. By now it had to be a talent. If there was an award for being the most clueless person on Earth, it would definitely be won by Wendy Son. To think she could still worry about her outfit when the three were engaged in some kind of argument.

“Mark can take you home.” Jinyoung pushed the man forward. “Then you guys are able to reach the office faster.”

“Jinyoung…” Mark warned, but it seemed that whatever power he had as the President of the company had disappeared.

“Even better!” Seulgi suddenly grinned widely. “Jinyoung can drive you there.”

“W-What?” The two men stammered.

“Ah… to make things fair, I guess I could tag along too?”

Jinyoung glanced at the girl weirdly, but the nod she just gave him only further confirmed his suspicions that Seulgi was up to something. He took a deep breath, wondering what had gotten into the girl’s mind. After some deliberation, he nodded his head reluctantly.

In Seulgi he shall trust.

“I guess I could drive you home.” Jinyoung turned towards Wendy. “But Mark and Seulgi have to come too.”

“Jinyoung…”

“Look.” The man rolled his eyes towards Mark. “You did tear her skirt in the first place.”

“I didn’t! But… I guess.”

“I wouldn’t want to trouble anybody.” Wendy added meekly, but Jinyoung only dismissed her coolly.

“Nah, we need to do this. It’s also an apology for trapping you in with Mark.”

“I-If you put it that way…”

Seulgi then clasped her hands tightly, her eyes already twinkling at the idea she had.

“What are we waiting for? Let’s go!”

--

The first thing Jaebum noticed when he walked towards the back door of Velvet & Co was a grinning Yugyeom. When the man had squinted his eyes further, he noticed a pretty young lady; one with a very beautiful smile.

He straightened his tie and walked coolly towards them; after all, one had to make a good first impression.

It wasn’t until he came nearer that he felt his heart sink; the girl seemed to really like Yugyeom.

He could see and sense a girl in love from miles away and Irene’s new assistant was definitely one of those girls.

“Hey.” Jaebum greeted the pair, and the two had turned startled at his company.

Maybe I shouldn’t be here.

“You guys look cosy.” He gave a sly remark towards Yugyeom.

“Oh, Jaebum.” Yugyeom answered softly. It was really strange to see the flirtatious Yugyeom become so meek in front of a girl’s presence.

Now he was really interested to know who the girl was.

“Who’s this?” Jaebum feigned ignorance as he smiled towards the girl.

“Oh, I’m Joy.” The beautiful girl answered immediately. “I’m Miss. Irene’s assistant.”

“I see. Well, I’m Ja-”

“Mr. Jaebum.” She cut him off. “I’ve heard about you from Miss. Irene. She mentioned you from time to time.”

What did that witch talked about me this time?

“I see.”

“Actually,” Yugyeom grinned. “Joy here is an old friend.”

“Oh really?” Figures they’re so close.

“Yeah.” The man answered. “She used to play with my younger sister. The three of us played together, actually. She moved away at one point, but I guess she’s here now.”

“Oh.” Jaebum recalled Yugyeom’s pretty sister. “Yeri would be pleased to see you then.”

“I really can’t wait to see her.” Joy agreed excitedly.

It finally dawned on him that he was trespassing on their privacy. People might think differently, but Jaebum was pretty good in his deductions. It is for that reason that he’s considered the brains of Velvet & Co.

It didn’t take him long to notice that the distance between Yugyeom and him was much larger than the distance between Yugyeom and Joy. In fact, the man could guess that he was probably interrupting whatever intimate moment they had before he came.

“I’ll, uh, get going.” Jaebum took his leave. “Remember to put the designs in Mr. Tuan’s office.”

When he finally left, he realised that a huge suppressing feeling had been lifted off of him.

Feels good not to be smothered in their love story. Now it’s time to find mine.

--

“I still don’t understand why we had to take my car.” Mark grumbled.

Jinyoung, who was driving, looked on at the rear view mirror and chuckled. At the back seats were both Mark and Wendy; one, looking at the passing sights and the other, folding his arms in annoyance.

“It would be a hassle to take my keys from my office.” Jinyoung continued looking straight ahead.

“Your office was literally beside mine.”

“Does it matter?”

“Cheer up, Mr. Tuan.” Seulgi intervened. “At least you can relish in the fact that Jinyoung’s your driver for the day.”

The man only frowned deeper before turning his head to the window as well.

“Jinyoung, huh.” He muttered softly enough for Seulgi to hear and the girl turned a little pink in her face.

She considered herself lucky that Mark wasn’t able to see her face as of that moment. If he had, he would have surely added more awkward moments between her and Jinyoung. Of course Mark would have noticed that she called him Jinyoung instead of the more polite “Mr. Park.”

Could you blame a girl for getting confused at what to call her scandalous superior, especially during work hours?

Unbeknownst to her, the man driving next to her had given her a subtle stare; wondering if she was all right from the way she had been acting since they were in the office.

“My house is right in front.” Wendy suddenly sat up straight, catching Jinyoung off guard. “You can make a right turn after the traffic light.”

“Your house isn’t really all that near, Wendy.” Seulgi noted, as she took in the surroundings. “It’s probably an hour ride to the office, right?”

“I guess.”

“Do you live alone?” Jinyoung enquired, to which Wendy nodded her head profusely.

“I do now.” She fidgeted with her hands, a sign to show that she was nervous. “I used to live with my best friend before he moved.”

“Oh, Jackson, right?” Seulgi recalled a man’s face that Wendy had introduced to her before.

“A man?!” Both Jinyoung and Mark had exclaimed in horror.

Was innocent Wendy really not that innocent after all?

“Yeah.” She giggled nervously. “He moved in with his fiancée earlier this year. So I get the house all to myself.”

“What about your parents?” Mark wondered out loud. “You don’t live with them?”

“They’re living overseas. It’s just me and Jackson here in Korea.”

“This Jackson…” The man continued worriedly. “How close are you guys?”

“He’s practically my brother.” Wendy laughed. “We grew up together and all.”

“You guys must be really close, then. I mean, you even lived together.”

“Well, yeah.” The girl pursed her lips. “It’s a complicated story.”

Mark turned towards his right, not hiding the fact that he was staring at her. He saw how sad her eyes had suddenly become, but she quickly recomposed herself as the car slowed down near a particular building.

Her sad eyes had seemed to wrench his stupid heart, Mark thought to himself.

Just how much do I actually like Wendy?

When they had stepped out of the car, Mark came to face a decent two storey building, proving that Wendy was actually wealthier than she had put herself to be. He wondered what else there was to Wendy, for he now found her mysterious.

“It’s not much but it is home.” Wendy turned to face her colleagues. “You guys want to come in?”

“Sure!” Seulgi chirped, though she then turned to Mark first. “You can head in with Wendy, Mr. Tuan. I need to speak with Jinyoung for a moment.”

Mark nodded his head reluctantly as he followed the petite woman in. When he had glanced back, he noted that Seulgi had brought Jinyoung aside; and the man snickered as it looked as though his friend was in trouble.

Were they going to settle whatever it was they had with each other before they head into Wendy’s house?

It was certainly at an inappropriate timing, but Mark guessed it was better than never.

The man took off his shoes and when he entered, he immediately noticed that the apartment was really homely. He also noted that there were still traces of a man living there with her before. His hands immediately reach out to a photo frame and he felt his heart sink when he realised that it was a photo of Wendy and of a man around her age.

This was probably her best friend and he placed the photo frame back to its’ place; his eyes wandering around the sights in her house.

“That’s Jackson.” Wendy suddenly spoke from behind him and he had jumped at the sudden contact.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to touch anything.”

“It’s okay.” She grinned. “Please do have a seat, Mr. Tuan. I’ll head upstairs to change, if you don’t mind.”

His eyes then came upon a sofa, red in colour, and he slowly walked towards it. He then passed by more photo frames, and his hands instinctively went to reach for one even though he told himself that he wouldn’t touch any other things.

Seeing a 5 year old girl in a cute swimsuit had the man laughing. This was definitely Wendy.

The girl posed about cutely in her swimming tube, and was that her parents beside her? The man smiled before placing the photo frame back to where it belonged.

He then plopped down into his seat, but before his eyes could roam about the room again, the sound of hurried steps echoed behind him.

“Mr. Tuan! Oh My God!” Wendy shouted, and Mark noticed that she was still in the dress. “Mr. Tuan!”

“What is it, Wendy?” He looked on in alarm but found that she was already running outside.

He followed after the girl hurriedly and when his eyes had taken in the sight that she saw, the man sighed. Mark knew he should have seen it coming, but nothing really surprised him anymore.

“I can’t believe they just drove off!” Wendy shrieked, before turning apologetically towards her superior. “I’m so sorry.”

“I knew something was off but I can’t believe they drove off with my car.”

“I…” The girl’s mind raced. “I’ll let you borrow some money for the subway!”

“Borrow?” Mark asked in amusement.

“Uh, I guess it could be free of charge. It’s not that cheap, though.”

Just then, Mark felt his phone vibrated and he knew for sure that it had to be Jinyoung. When he finally finished reading the message, Mark wondered to how far Jinyoung would actually go to make sure that he and Wendy got along.

He also wondered if Jinyoung had been that dense to not realise that he was already getting along with the girl and that any more time spent with her would only test his patience to control himself around her.

Have the people around him always been this dense?

“Who is it?” Wendy asked as she tried to take a peep at his phone.

The man put away his phone and chuckled softly, much to Wendy’s dismay.

“Jinyoung.” He sighed. “He said they needed to be off due to an urgent matter.”

“Oh.” Wendy clutched her chest in relief. “I thought they’d run off.”

“They did. Jinyoung lied.”

“But…”

“It’s another one of their ploys to leave me with you.” Mark raised an eyebrow. “Surely it would be that obvious?”

“Um…”

“You’re really dense, Wendy.” The man shook his head in disapproval. “Not really a good trait to have.”

“Whatever.” She huffed, before staring worriedly. “What do we do now? Should we head back to the office?”

Mark gazed into her face, and the girl blushed at the sudden action. She focused her gaze to the ground instead, and waited patiently for his answer. It always did embarrass her when the man looks at her in a serious manner.

“If you don’t mind,” He finally broke the silence. “I’d rather we go inside.”

“But what about work?” She looked troubled by his suggestion.

“Missing a day of work won’t hurt.” Mark grinned.

“Is it really okay?”

“Of course it is.” He huffed proudly. “I am the boss, after all.”

Wendy laughed, before looking on expectantly. “Then do you want to come in?”

“After you.”

--

“You’re a genius, Seulgi.” Jinyoung chuckled as he continued to drive.

The girl beside him only gave a thumbs-up before fidgeting with the seatbelt that was on her.

“Now they really have no choice but to spend time with each other.” He continued excitedly. “I didn’t expect Mark to be that naïve, though.”

“Maybe it’s because he hangs around Wendy too much.” She giggled.

Jinyoung winked. “That’s what happens to couples that are in love. They tend to take after their significant other.”

“I guess.”

“Like us!” He laughed harder, getting lost in his enthusiasm. “Who would have thought you’d turned sly as well in trapping them together! You definitely take after me.”

“Uh…”

“Really, Seulgi.” Jinyoung grinned widely. “You’re the best girlfriend ever.”

The girl frowned, turning her head to the window. She wondered if he didn’t notice his words, or if he was just testing the waters. What she did know, however, was how affected she was by his sweet, accidental words.

“You mean the best personal assistant.” She hadn’t intended to come off as being sour but it seemed to go in that direction.

“No, no.” Jinyoung continued to laugh. “You’re the best girlfriend-”

It finally dawned on him that Seulgi was not his girlfriend and the man came to an abrupt stop. Luckily for them, there were not much cars around and it didn’t lead to a road accident. He apologised for his sudden actions as he started up the car again.

When he had finally drove off, Jinyoung could only fix his gaze on the road; an awkward silence suddenly forming in the small space.

The silence went on longer and Seulgi soon observed that the car was nearing their company’s building. She heaved a small sigh, wondering if she had made things awkward between them.

The car soon passed by the company’s building and Seulgi had frozen in her seat. She turned towards her companion but found that his lips were pursed in a thin line as his eyes focused on the road. This was definitely not the usual Jinyoung she had known but the serious “Mr. Park.”

“We, uh… missed our building.” She uttered awkwardly.

“I know.”

Silence ensued and the girl squirmed about uncomfortably in her seat. She fixed her gaze onto his face, wondering what the man had been thinking in his head. When he had said nothing, she sunk lower into her seat; her eyes now resting on the passing sights.

Should I ask him where we’re going?

Before she could contemplate in asking the man, the car came to a stop and Seulgi soon realised that they’ve come to a nearby restaurant. She noticed him unbuckling his seatbelt and the man stepped out of the car.

He walked towards the front and soon came to stand right outside her door. When he had opened the door for her, Seulgi realised that she was expected to leave the car too. The girl alighted, and when the man had offered his hand towards her, the girl had grabbed it.

He held her hands firmly as he then led her into the inside of the restaurant. When the waiter had finally seated them at a corner, Seulgi looked on expectantly at what the man had to say.

“Shall we order?” His voice cracked a little as he pushed a menu towards her. “Or shall we get the usual?”

“I’m okay with the usual.” She pushed the menu back to him, wondering what this was all about. “Jinyoung? Are you okay?”

The man nodded his head as he called for the same waiter to take their order. When the waiter had gone, his hands had reached out towards her; and the girl had allowed him to.

“Jinyoung?”

“I guess I should be more honest with you.” The man started off slowly. “I always assumed you’d be there for me but I don’t want to assume anymore.”

He then grasped her hand a little tighter. “I want you to be my girlfriend for real, Seulgi. I really like you and I know you like me too.”

“Love actually.” Seulgi muttered shyly.

“Love, then.” He laughed. “I… I don’t want to keep assuming that you’ll always be there for me. I want us to be official.”

“Official?”

“Yeah. So guys like Jaebum wouldn’t dare to make a move on you.”

“Oh, Jinyoung.” She rolled her eyes before smiling affectionately. “I’ll always be here for you.”

“I know you will.” Jinyoung brought her hands to cup his cheeks. “But I want to be your boyfriend. Will you let me be your boyfriend, Seulgi?”

“Always.” The girl whispered in disbelief at his confession.

The man chuckled, as his fingers grazed her cheeks. He then poked her nose in fondness, before resting both his hands on the table.

“I’m sorry that this was nothing fancy.” Jinyoung apologised. “I just… wanted to make my feelings known to you as sincere as possible.”

“I don’t need fancy things.” Seulgi shook her head at his words. “All I need is you and that’s it. Having you here right now with me is probably the best thing to happen so far.”

“Probably?” He teased.

“Okay, fine. Definitely, then.”

“I really love you, Seulgi.” Jinyoung proclaimed his feelings again.

It was as simple as that, but his feelings for her had been big and honest.

“I love you too, Jinyoung.”

“Ehem.” The waiter suddenly interrupted the couple. “Shall I serve your drinks now?”

--

Back at Wendy’s house, the girl had changed into something more comfortable, which had been her sweatpants and a dry fit shirt.

She busied herself in the kitchen, contemplating if she should serve her superior snacks as well to go with the drinks. Wendy wondered if Mr. Tuan even ate snacks to begin with, and ended up bringing them over to the couch anyway.

When Mark had glazed over the tray that was with her, his eyes had lit up tremendously.

“Are those nachos?” He looked on hungrily. “I love nachos.”

“You do?” Wendy felt all tension leave her body. “I’m glad you like them, then.”

“Why? Do I not look like the type of person to like nachos?”

“Not really.” She answered honestly. “You’re too... fancy, Mr. Tuan.”

Now this was news to Mark. Was he really as fancy as Wendy imagined him to be?

“I’m not fancy.” He scrunched his nose in annoyance.

“Of course you are! You’re elite for goodness sake.”

“Elite?”

“Yeah.” Wendy quickly took a seat beside him. “You’re young and you’re already a President of your own company, not to mention you’re one of the top few young entrepreneurs last year.”

Her expressions were really animated. “You wear Prada. Exclusive designs that are super expensive! Your shoes are Armani. I mean they’re shoes! Mine only cost a few bucks.”

“Carry on.” Mark continued in amusement as he poured himself a drink.

“Your ties are Versace. You wear a Givenchy belt. And your hair! Your hair looks like you actually go to a hair salon every day.”

“You’re very observant.” The man gulped down his drink. “Anything else?”

“There’s too many.” Wendy frowned. “Everything about you just screams of an elite person. You get your suits done in a laundromat, you import your coffee from overseas and you even live in a penthouse.”

Mark laughed. “It’s a normal building, really.”

“Yeah, except that the whole building is yours.” The girl widened her eyes in disbelief. “You’re filthy rich!”

“But I’m still human, aren’t I?”

“Not really.” The girl waved her hands dismissively. “You’re too perfect to be human, I think.”

“Perfect?” He raised an eyebrow.

This time it was Wendy who gulped down her drink. “Not only are you rich, but you’re blessed with good looks as well.”

“Blessed? Me?”

“You’re really good looking. I mean, look at your eyebrows.”

“My eyebrows?”

“Your eyebrows. They’re thick but neatly kept. And your eyes… they’re really mesmerising.”

“Tell me more.”

“Your lips too! Very luscious.”

“Uhuh.” The man nodded his head, finding her absent-mindedness hilarious. Of all things she found attractive about him, it just had to be the damn eyebrows. “Do continue.”

“And you have this presence.”

“Presence?”

“Yes, very demanding. A little demonic and fussy,” Wendy looked on apologetically. “No offense.”

“None taken.”

“It’s demanding but it’s also really charismatic at the same time. I guess it’s just your natural disposition.”

“I see.”

“It’s really difficult to describe you.” Wendy finished off. “You’re perfect, but you’re definitely more than that. I don’t really know how. I guess you’re just ineffable in that way.”

“Really?” Mark grinned. “So I’m basically attractive?”

“Definitely.”

“Attractive enough for you to like me?”

“Ye-” She soon realised the words that had just came out of , and the girl blushed deeply. “M-Mr. Tuan! Stop teasing!”

Mark chuckled, placing the glass back onto the table. He shifted in his seat, turning to face the blushing girl. His eyes lingered on her face and Wendy found that she was too mesmerised to look away.

Curse him and his good looks.

“You know, Wendy?” His sudden question took her by surprise.

What was he going to ask?

Was he going to ask her to reaffirm her feelings?

Was he going to about how she almost said that she liked him earlier?

She never really knew what the man was thinking.

“W-What is it?”

“How long more are you going to keep calling me Mr. Tuan?” Mark looked like he was sulking. “It’s beginning to hurt me, you know?”

The girl blinked once, twice and thrice as she registered his words into her mind. Was the man indirectly asking her to call him by his name?

“But Mr. Tuan,” Wendy looked on in confusion. “You’re the one that asked me to address you politely and said that we will not go on a first name basis.”

“But that’s when I really didn’t want to associate with you.” The man stated obviously. “No offense.”

“None taken?”

“Well, we’re closer now. Don’t you think it’s about time you called me Mark?”

Wendy pursed her lips in hesitation. “I don’t think so. You’re still my boss.”

“Your boss is asking you to call him by his first name. It’s not that difficult really.”

“It’s weird!”

“Why would it be weird? You call the others by their name too, don’t you?”

“I don’t work under them.” The girl lamented lamely. “I do happen to work under you.”

“But we’re not working right now.” Mark continued seriously. “You can just call me Mark.”

“But…”

“If it makes you feel better, I can call you Seungwan?”

“Definitely not!” Wendy gasped, horrified. “How did you know of my other name?!”

“I am your boss, you know.”

“No, no. Definitely no Seungwan’s.”

“Aww.” Mark scooted closer to her, his eyes laced in amusement. “You’re no fun, Seungwan.”

“M-Mr. Tuan! Stop it!”

“Seungwan, Seungwan.”

“Mr. Tuan!”

“Seungwan!”

“M-Mr.-”

“Seungwan.” He rolled her name off his tongue in an annoying way.

“You’re being really childish.” The girl crossed her arms in frustration.

“Did you say something, Seungwan?”

“Ergh.” She groaned. “You’re getting annoying!”

“It’s part of the package,” He winked, before adding cheekily. “Seungwan.”

“Fine!” Wendy raised her hands in defeat. “Fine! I’ll call you Mark!”

“I still won’t call you Wendy, though.”

“What?!” The girl panicked. “Why?! But you said-”

“I think I’ll call you my girlfriend.” Mark muttered softly, before his eyes roamed her figure warily.

He saw how had widened in shock, and she had somehow managed to close it back together. When she had opened again to say something, Mark had braced himself for any sort of rejection that might come his way.

There was none, for the girl only pursed her lips back together again. In normal circumstances, the man would have found it funny how much Wendy had looked like a fish; opening and closing like that.

This time, however, he made no such jokes.

His heart raced, wondering how she’d take his sudden confession. Mark hadn’t planned to confess, but things seemed to flow naturally with Wendy. It was something that he was thankful for, because nothing ever seemed natural around Mark.

He was like Wendy said; ineffable.

The man had everything he ever wanted and yet he has not once experience a normal life. Being around Wendy was definitely a new experience for him.

With Wendy, he wasn’t a Mr. Tuan who was a respectable entrepreneur of a young and upcoming company.

With Wendy, he was just Mark Tuan.

He was the demon Mark.

He was an annoying jerk – Wendy’s little nickname for him, though she doesn’t know that he knew – Mark.

Weird Mark. Lazy Mark. Stupid Mark.

He was just Mark.

It didn’t matter what she thought of him, for he had always been comfortable around her.

The only reason he hated her in the beginning was because he had felt something so cliché, and he wasn’t sure if he was ready for a change.

But things passed by naturally and here he was; in her not so tiny house, watching her ready herself for some words.

He wondered if she heard him the first time and the man cautiously took the girl by her hands. He noticed she froze but had relaxed when he had given her a little squeeze.

Mark stared at the girl nervously, restless at what her answer may be.

“Will you be my girlfriend, Wendy?”


a/n jinyoung finally confesses and jinseul got together!

will wendy react the same way seulgi did?

jackson and yeri are mentioned briefly and joy did appear for that short time. don't count your hopes on them appearing in the next chapter though, sorry.

speaking of next chapters, the next one is actually the last one. you might also notice that this chapter was longer than the others.

i wonder what awaits our two couples? (:

thank you for reading!!