--five

the ineffable man

The girl squirmed about uncomfortably, scrunching her nose while at it as the suggestion settled in her mind.

If she had to be objective about it, it wasn’t a bad idea at all.

First, wearing Mr. Tuan’s dress shirt would totally cover up her underwear that was obviously showing (whether Mr. Tuan admitted to it or not).

Second, she gets to wear Prada – not just any kind – but the limited, exclusive design that just came out this year (for men of course).

Third, her eyes would be served some fresh eye candy with seeing her big boss in just his Armani suit. No dress shirt clinging on to his body; nothing.

She wondered if he had abs; he just had to because she can see for herself how fitting his shirts and suits (and pants) had been on his body.

Could the demon actually be The Demon?

Maybe an upgrade from just Demon to Lord of the Underworld?

Wendy definitely does not mind calling him Master.

Master Tuan?

It had a nice ring to it for sure.

To her front, the man only crossed his arms in impatience.

“So?” He raised an eyebrow, his voice snapping the girl out of her fantasies. “Do you want to?”

The girl gave an awkward cough, not wanting to be seen daydreaming about his body. It was kind of gross to be thinking about him that way.

After all, this was the same insensitive jerk that had made her life hell the past one month.

But a very handsome, insensitive jerk.

“Oh, shut it!” Wendy suddenly screamed, before clasping close as she realised she said her thoughts out loud.

“You’re asking me to shut up?” Mark frowned.

“Not you.” She tried to explain herself. “Me.”

“Whatever.” He dismissed her. “But really Wendy, do you want to?”

Wendy tried to stifle in her horrified expression as her mind raced to remember what her boss had said before.

What did he said before?

What does he think she wants to do?

Did she wanted to do something and asked him before she got lost in her… fantasies?

What was that something?

Her eyes widened as she hastily made an X sign with her hands.

“M-Mr. Tuan, I-I can’t!”

“Can’t what?”

“I don’t want to!”

The man tilted his head in confusion. “What? Why not?”

“It’s inappropriate!”

“Wendy, nothing is inappropriate-”

“Of course it is!” She gasped incredulously. “How can you think it’s not?”

“But you’ll just be wearing my shirt!” Mark sighed in exasperation. “What’s so inappropriate about that?”

The man saw how a sudden shock of realisation fell straight into the girl’s features before she giggled sheepishly.

“Oh, that.” Wendy grinned. “That is okay.”

There were definitely two things Mark had been sure of at the moment.

One, Wendy Son is as weird as she can get. He was absolutely sure that the girl was thinking of some other things.

Second; Mark must have been as weird as Wendy. No way in hell was he attracted to a weirdo like her.

But he was, and so that makes them both weird.

“But will you be okay with it?” Wendy finally turned serious. “I don’t want to burden you or anything.”

“Well, it’s my fault that your skirt is torn in the first place.” The man pointed out. “I did make you fall off the couch.”

“Oh yeah.”

“But enough about me.” Mark went on. “Will you be okay with it? I mean, my shirt will only be able to cover you so much.”

“Oh, don’t worry! I’m short, so I’m pretty sure it’ll be a little above my mid-thighs.”

“Erm…”

“However!” Her sudden exclamation took him by surprise. “You can’t peep!”

Did she seriously think that he was going to peep at her? Sure the girl was beautiful, and he did stole a couple of glances at her… assets, but Mark Tuan wasn’t a total ert to peep at a helpless girl changing.

He was a man and he had some lust in him, but he wasn’t a leering disgrace like Jaebum and Yugyeom put together.

Not that they’ve ever peeped on girls, he thinks.

“I won’t.” Mark started loosening his tie. “I’m a man of my words, so don’t be so suspicious, Wendy.”

“I can’t help it.” She confessed. “I’ve never changed around a man before.”

Mark only nodded his head as he then continued to take off his suit. His fingers fumbled to his shirt, and he silently cursed himself at how nervous he was at the moment.

This doesn’t mean anything, the man tried to reassure himself. You’re merely lending your shirt to her, that’s all.

“Wait,” Wendy’s eyes widened yet again. “What are you doing?”

“What does it look like I’m doing?” He then undid the last button. “I’m passing you my shirt.”

As the man took off his shirt, Wendy could see for herself that her initial thoughts were true.

Mr. Tuan definitely did have some abs on him.

“You can’t just change in front of a lady!” She shrieked to cover up her embarrassment but it proved futile.

“I just did.” The man laughed. “Seriously, stop getting worked up over the little things. Here, it’s your turn to change.”

“You…”

“I’ll turn the other way.” He promised. “Afterwards, I’ll drop a text to Jinyoung saying that your skirt is all ripped up and hopefully he’ll get you something decent to go home in.”

Wendy pursed her lips as she reluctantly faced her back against his. She took another wary glance in his direction and upon seeing the man looking intently at his shoe; she gave a small huff and hesitantly took off her blouse.

She managed to change into his shirt at the speed of light and as she stood up, she was relieved to see that it did went a little higher than her mid-thighs.

At least it covers my underwear.

“I’m done.” Wendy stammered nervously, unsure herself to why she was that nervous. “You can turn around now.”

Mark hadn’t expected himself to turn red in his face, but he did just that. It was strange to be seeing Wendy in a man’s shirt – his shirt, to be specific – but it was also strangely pleasing on the eyes. He knew deep down it had to do with his feelings for her, but the man continued stifling them in.

“Uh, you look okay, I guess.”

“Okay is good.” She turned anxious.

“Yeah.”

“Yeah.”

Mark then scrambled for his phone awkwardly. “I’ll, uh, drop a text to Jinyoung. You should just have a seat at the couch.”

Wendy nodded her head readily, glad that Mark had tried to fill in the awkward silence. She noticed how flushed his face had become, of course, and she couldn’t help but squeal a little inside.

As much as Mr. Tuan was a demon, he only proved to be a man after all.

And this particular Mr. Tuan – President of Velvet & Co and hot, new,  young entrepreneur in the fashion industry – had flushed at her wearing his shirt.

Not just any shirt, his limited exclusive Prada shirt.

Wendy tried her hardest to hide her grin.

This was definitely something she’d be telling Seulgi.

--

“Irene.” Jaebum looked on darkly towards his new companion. “So not nice to be seeing you here.”

The beautiful woman to his front had rolled her eyes in exasperation, before staring at him in amusement. This was the scenario that she had played over in her mind many times before coming to Velvet & Co's main building. This was definitely the chance to use her snarky comeback lines on him.

“Likewise, Jaebum.” Was all Irene muttered in the end.

“Why are you here?”

She turned her attention back to Seulgi, smiling at the other lady; a stark contrast than when she was speaking with Jaebum.

“I need to see Mr. Tuan.” She announced. “The new designs are here and ready for inspection.”

“I forgot that you were our designer, Irene.” Jaebum snickered. “You rarely come around, after all.”

Irene huffed. “Did you lose a brain or two while I was gone? I do work in the other building.”

“Then stay there.”

“I’d love to. But our boss prefers my designs over yours.”

Yugyeom, Seulgi and Jinyoung laughed awkwardly at the tense atmosphere. It was a little strange to see both Irene and Jaebum being so hard headed with each other when they had been on really good terms about a year ago.

Yes, for it was definitely incredible; the brains of Velvet & Co and the designer were once in a relationship together.

Was this the reason office romances never took place in the first place?

“Irene.” Seulgi muttered apologetically. “Mr. Tuan… is actually in a hold-up right now. Can you come back later?”

“Later?” Irene scrunched her nose in annoyance. “I can’t come back later. It’ll be lunch time and I promised my new assistant that I’ll treat her lunch today.”

“New assistant?” Yugyeom grinned excitedly but was quickly shot down when Seulgi glared.

“Yeah.” Irene returned his grin. “Very beautiful, I may add. She’s definitely your type, Yugyeom.”

“Don’t put ideas into his head, Irene.” Jinyoung scratched his head sheepishly. “You might end up with a broken hearted assistant after a week.”

Irene puffed her chest out in pride. “Trust me, with the way she is, Yugyeom will be the one with a broken heart.”

Yugyeom craned his neck to see the main door, but none walked through it. He looked on in disappointment towards the older woman, who chuckled profusely at his antics.

“She’s at the back door.” Irene disclosed. “Youngjae’s helping her so you might catch her there.”

“Then that’s where I’ll be!” Yugyeom ran off, before turning back to face her. “Wait, what’s her name?”

“Joy.”

“Oh boy, oh Joy.” There was a glint in his eyes as he ran off. “What a beautiful name.”

Irene then looked on impatiently at both Seulgi and Jinyoung.

“So? What’s this about him being in a hold-up? I recalled he asked me to come specifically at this timing and we all know what a demon he is when it comes to punctuality.”

Jinyoung laughed. “We locked him in with his new assistant. He’d been really mean to her.”

“New assistant?” Irene’s eyes seemed to lit up brightly. “I didn’t know this.”

“Her name’s Wendy.” This time it was Seulgi who replied her. “Mr. Tuan has been making her do nothing but his errands for the past one month.”

“What a demon.”

“Yeah,” Seulgi agreed. “It was Jinyoung’s idea to lock them up in his office so they’ll be able to get to know each other better.”

“Jinyoung, eh?” Irene teased the pair.

“M-Mr. Jinyoung, I mean!”

“Sure, sure.” The former waved her hands dismissively. “I’d usually like to wait and see what happens, but I am running short on time. Think you can stop the little stint for a while?”

Jinyoung sighed. It was really bad timing on Irene’s part to be coming at this hour. On the other hand, maybe it was best they let them out for who knows what Mark would do if he was to be stuck inside for a long time.

When he finally remembered how nice of a person Wendy had been to him, he felt his resolve fell. It must definitely be torture for Wendy to be inside the office.

Oh well. There’s always Plan B.

He took out his phone, and was alarmed to see that Mark had dropped him only one text. He had expected to see many angry messages from the man about the unfairness of being stuck in a room with the girl, but the fact that there was only one only made things seemed more serious.

Jinyoung opened the message and waited for an image to load. When it loaded, the man had gasped in shock, before looking worriedly towards both Seulgi and Irene.

“Say,” Jinyoung tried to piece his words together. “You wouldn’t have any other old designs lying around, would you?”

“I do, actually. Why?”

He showed them the loaded image, and they had looked on in alarm.

“Is that her skirt?!” Seulgi practically shrieked. “What the hell happened?”

“Seems like it ripped.”

“How?!”

Irene sighed. “Follow me to my car. I have some dresses ready. What’s her size?”

“I’m not sure.” Seulgi frowned. “But I’m sure I can estimate what size she wears from the dresses.”

“Good.” The older woman then gave them a look of reproach. “Looks like the prank went too extreme this time, huh?”

“No prank is ever extreme.” Jaebum drawled lazily.

“Oh, Jaebum? You were still here the whole time? Your presence was definitely not felt.”

“Shut up, Irene.” He growled.

--

The man stood against his desk, his eyes on the girl the whole time. Wendy felt the gaze, of course, but chose to let her eyes linger on her toes instead. She was definitely not going to be subjected to another awkward moment with Mr. Tuan.

“Wendy?” His voice had caught her in surprise. “Do you know why they locked us in here?”

She turned to look at him, but he was already walking towards her. Her eyes glued onto the distracting figure beneath his suit and she heard the man chuckle as he took a seat beside her.

“Enjoying the view, I presume?”

“I wasn’t!” Wendy turned red in the face. “I… I can’t help it!”

“Sure.” Mark leaned backwards and placed both arms behind his head. “Anyway, let’s stay on topic. Do you know?”

Her mind raced but she couldn’t find a suitable answer. There were many things that went through her mind, but none appropriate enough to be told to her boss.

She shook her head in the end.

Seeing that, Mark gave a small smile.

“I could only wish to be this dense.” Mark teased, only to earn a slight glare from his assistant. “I’m joking.”

“Right.” She huffed. “But what’s the reason?”

“It’s because they want us to get along together.”

Wendy blinked once, twice, thrice.

“That’s it?”

“Yeah.”

“You’re kidding. They wouldn’t lock us in over something so simple, right?”

Mark then frowned as he recalled his friends faces. “Oh, they so would.”

“Huh, who knew?”

The man pursed his lips nervously, before quickly letting his lips part. It occurred to him that he had inherited her bad habit of biting their lips when they’re placed in doubt and nervousness. This was definitely something Mark didn’t want to inherit.

He secretly wondered if she did find his lip biting as adorable as he found hers.

“They thought I was being mean to you.” Mark sighed. “Giving you nothing but errands to work on.”

He saw how she had raised an eyebrow, obviously surprised at how he was finally opening up to her.

“They didn’t think wrong.” Wendy joked. “I did have a hard time not doing much.”

“You’re probably about the only person I know that complains about not having work to do.”

The girl crossed her arms in annoyance, turning to look at her boss straight in the eyes.

“Well I wanted to learn something.” She chided. “I get to work under the famous Mr. Tuan and all I do is make coffee or collect suits. Give the girl a little sympathy.”

Mark chuckled. “I sympathise.”

“Har har. Very funny, Mr. Tuan.”

“But it is one of the things I love about you, Wendy.”

The girl froze, staring awkwardly at the man beside her. Did he just say what she thought he just said?

“L-L-Love?!”

Mark gazed blankly in her direction before a sudden realisation hit him. Who would have thought that Jinyoung had been right?

He peered into her face curiously, and the sudden closeness had Wendy turned away in embarrassment. She felt her heart beat rise faster at how close his face had been and found herself more flushed than before.

“Huh.” He rested his back against the couch again. “I wonder…”

“W-What?” Wendy uttered defensively, but Mark only laughed harder.

“Your face is as red as an apple, Wendy!” He teased. “Frankly, it’s adorable.”

“A-Adorable?! M-Mr. Tuan, you-”

It was honestly fun to tease the girl. She reacted at everything and her facial expressions were his source of entertainment. Mark wondered why he didn’t give in towards her sooner; for if he had, it would have made their lives a whole easier.

Maybe Jinyoung was right to leave the two of them in the office together.

If he didn’t, Mark would have never realised how deep his feelings towards the girl was. There was that particular saying after all; the harder you reject something, the more in love you’ll be with it in the future.

In Mark’s case, it had been a someone.

All knowing of his new found feelings of Wendy, the man decided that it was going to be exhilarating to see how far she could react to his antics.

He knew this much; Wendy wouldn’t turned that red in the face if she hadn’t at least liked him.

He also knows that there was a chance that the girl was not as into him as he was into her. His previous experience with different women had tell him that much.

This was definitely the chance to test the waters out and decide how he’ll go from there.

“Yeah, a-do-ra-ble.” Mark enunciated the words clearly to his poor employee. “You’re adorable.”

“D-Don’t tease me!”

“I don’t understand it.” The man mockingly groaned. “How can a person be both adorable and hot at the same time?”

“H-Hot?!”

“Like sizzling hot.”

“M-Mr. Tuan, don’t-”

“That’s it!” Mark clapped his hands. “You’re y, Wendy!”

widened in shock at seeing the new side of the demon. Was Mr. Tuan literally possessed by a demon, no, an incubi?!

“I’m not y!” She screamed but he continued to still.

“You definitely are. Especially in my shirt.”

“Your…”

“My shirt.” He said it again and saw how she blushed even harder.

The girl unknowingly fanned herself at the sudden hot atmosphere, her eyes hastily finding a spot she can rest on.

She needed any spot at all; excluding his figure.

All she could gaze upon at that particular moment – curse her dirty eyes – had been his abs instead.

Mark smirked as he peered into her eyes, leaving the girl off guard at the close proximity again. When she had stumbled backwards to get away from him, the man had grabbed her hands and pulled her closer to him; placing them at the spot where his heart was supposed to be.

She could feel the coolness of his skin and how hard his chest had been. Wendy looked uncertainly into his features but all she could see was the amusement laced in his eyes.

“You know,” Mark smiled smugly. “It is manners to look at someone in the eye when they’re talking, and not at their chest.”

Wendy could almost smack herself at the familiar sentence. That was what she had told him when the man had gazed upon her ripped skirt just moments ago!

“You…”

Sudden noises suddenly filled the corridor and the pair had turned startled, quickly moving away from each other. They considered it bad luck for before they were quick enough to do that, the door opened; leaving a very beautiful woman smirking at the scene before her.

“I really want to know what happened.” Irene giggled as Jinyoung, Seulgi and Jaebum made their way into the room. “But that would have to wait.”

She stared in sheer hilarity as she took in the sight before her.

A man with only his suit and pants on, his chest exposed.

A woman with a man’s dress shirt, and only that. (Of course, there is the underwear).

A man and a woman, both practically half ; stuck in an office room. The scene was practically begging her to let her imagination run wild.

“I’m Irene.” The woman turned towards Wendy before chuckling softly. “I’m here to help you get dressed. Think of me as your… fairy god mother?”

“Oh, God.” Mark and Wendy cried out together.

They were never going to hear the end of this.


a/n there wasn't much JinSeul in this because this is a MarkDy fic and I wanted to portray the building up of MarkDy.

fun fact: this was supposed to be longer, but I cut it short because I wanted everything to pace nicely, heh.

what you can look forward to in next chapter: more funny, y times with Markdy (lmao), fluffy JinSeul and introduction of Joy, Yeri and Jackson :D

thank you so much for reading! <3