--three

the ineffable man

Wendy unknowingly sighed, resting her head on her hands. She seemed lost in thought; so much that her companion turned into a worried frown.

“Are you okay?” Seulgi’s expression was only of concern. “I can’t believe you’re sighing at your food.”

Her words startled the poor girl, and she scratched her head sheepishly. It was a little embarrassing for her to be caught in a weak moment, especially since she’d only knew Seulgi for a month. A month, however, was enough to get to know someone on a personal level. Yes, that was right. Wendy had been working for Velvet & Co for a month now and she had definitely gotten much closer with the only female employee in said company.

In fact, the two were so close that they even had lunch and dinner together. She wished she could say the same for her superior, though.

“Is it work?” Seulgi inquired curiously. “Is Mr. Tuan giving you a hard time?”

“On the contrary,” Wendy scrunched her nose in irritation. “It’s the opposite.”

The latter only raised an eyebrow, her silence an urging for the other to continue.

“He has only been asking me to make coffee for him at any time of the day.” Wendy complained. “And if I do get any work, it’s only running errands for him. He doesn’t even let the other executives give me any work!”

Seulgi blinked in surprise, letting it settle into her mind. This was definitely news to her.

“I didn’t know that.” She tilted her head in confusion. “I thought you were doing okay seeing you’ve never told me anything before.”

“Yeah.” Wendy waved her hands dismissively. “I didn’t know you that well then, so I didn’t want to bother you with anything.”

“Is that why you’ve been helping me out with my work?!”

“Erm, maybe.”

Seulgi frowned. She had heard rumours that the infamous demon had not favoured Wendy’s presence in the company but to think that he had treated her this badly was probably something she had never imagined.

“On the bright side,” Seulgi laughed awkwardly. “It’s easy money?”

Wendy pouted, crossing her arms at that particular statement. Oh, how she wished it was as easy as it seemed.

“Just last week, he forced me to fetch his suit at the laundromat and if you think it’s easy, it’s not.” She made a face. “Afterwards, I had to pick up the doughnuts he ordered and when I had given him the box when I returned to the office, that man made a face.”

“Uh…”

“He said that they weren’t for him but for a client! He could have told me earlier.” Wendy groaned. “I had to take the freaking subway back to give that box of doughnuts to the client. Do you know how long it took me, Seulgi? 4 hours!”

“Wendy…”

“The stupid train broke down twice. And when I finally returned, that man accused me on skipping out on work. But really, the only work he gave me afterwards was-”

“To make him coffee.” Seulgi finished her sentence off for her. “Yeah, I remembered. I thought he was just being nice to you, giving you free time though.”

“He’s unbearable.” Wendy frowned. “His nickname fits him well, though.”

“The demon?” She giggled.

Wendy nodded her head in agreement, but the bitter taste still lingered in . She had first thought that it wasn’t going to be so bad, working under the famous Mr. Tuan. She now knows that it was all optimistic thinking on her part. Thinking about it now, she should have definitely seen the signs. After all, Mr. Yugyeom did give her a look of pity when she had accepted the job offer.

“Guess what I’ll probably be doing after lunch?” Wendy asked sardonically.

“Coffee?” Seulgi sympathised with the other girl. “Do you need me to ask Jinyoung for you?”

“Honestly, Seulgi, it’s fine.” She gave a small smile. “I wouldn’t want to trouble both you and your boyfriend.”

“W-We’re n-not! I mean-”

“Oh come on. You guys are so obvious.” Wendy teased. “When’s the wedding?”

Seulgi huffed in annoyance, jokingly turning her head away from her friend. She was definitely not in a relationship with Jinyoung, for she knew office romances weren’t allowed. Were they ever really? It only felt different because Velvet & Co was a predominantly male company to begin with. So far, having office romances were unheard of ever since the company was established.

She did, however, admit that she had a crush on said man. She also thanked her lucky stars that her feelings were returned as well.

“Don’t tease me too much.” It was Seulgi’s turn to grin mockingly. “Who knows? Maybe one day you’ll get together with the demon himself.”

“And that, Seulgi,” Wendy finally tucked into her food. “Is why I’m the sane one out of us two. Your imagination is off the rails.”

--

When Wendy had returned from lunch, the girl had dreaded at stepping into the office. The lights were still on, and she could hear furious typing even when she’s standing right outside the door. She gulped a little and gave two knocks before finally entering the room.

“I’m back.” She faked a grin. Be nice to your boss, Wendy, be nice.

He only gave a grunt to acknowledge her existence and the girl had resisted the urge to roll her eyes. She took her usual seat on the sofa; Mr. Tuan still hadn’t given her a space or a desk to call her own. She waited for her laptop to start, looking awkwardly towards the man’s direction. When she noticed him sighed, her eyes darted back to her laptop screen; hoping he wasn’t sighing at her presence.

She was of course, mistaken.

“What is it, Wendy?” The man furrowed his eyebrows together. Could the girl get any more annoying?

“N-Nothing!” Wendy replied a little too quickly.

“You’ve been staring at me for the last three minutes or so.”

“O-Oh.” She bit her lips. “I… I was just wondering if there’s anything I can do for you.”

Mark frowned seeing the girl bit her lips. He wondered to why girls enjoy biting their lips when put into a predicament. He honestly hated it for it seemed as though they were using their womanly charms to escape such situations. Not that their intention was that in the first place.

“Let me see.” He pondered for a moment. “I guess you can make me coffee.”

He swore he saw her shoulders slumped in disappointment.

“All right!” She perked herself up. This one was definitely too optimistic for her own good, Mark noted. “What about after making you coffee?”

He pondered again, wondering what else was there to give the girl to do. “If you don’t mind, you can help pick up my suit at the laundromat and-”

“Oh god.” She barely whispered to herself but he heard her just fine.

“What is it?” Mark frowned. “You don’t want to help me go to the laundromat?”

“I-It’s not that!” Wendy panicked, her eyes considerably wider.

It was quite amusing to see her in such a frenzy state that Mark almost allowed himself a smile. He shook his head at that thought, scolding himself for thinking it was fun to find her reactions entertaining. He had better things to do, and immersing himself in Wendy’s expressions was definitely not on that list.

The girl continued. “But uh, if I may, Mr. Tuan, your suit was already taken care of last week.”

“Obviously.” He didn’t bother hiding his sarcasm. “It’s called wearing the suit again, Wendy. I’m not as rich as you imagined me to be, to dispose of one suit after wearing it for a day.”

“I… I didn’t mean that.” There she was again biting her lips, Mark frowned.

He ran a hand through his hair, frustrated at how much time he’d just wasted talking to her. There were so many important things to do like replying his client in the email right now. He gave a resigned look before shooing her out of his office.

“Fine. After you make me coffee, you can help Seulgi in her administrative work. There’s quite a bit to do, so it’ll keep you quite busy until the end of the week.”

He noticed the girl had turned considerably brighter after his little suggestion.

Why in the world are her eyes twinkling again?

“O-Okay!” She gave him a thumbs up, caught up in the excitement to finally be doing some paperwork. “I’ll get you your coffee now, Mr. Tuan!”

“Be quick.”

When Wendy had left his office, Mark sunk further into his chair; loosening his tie. It always took a toll on him whenever they held a conversation together; no matter how short it was. In fact, Mark always seemed to be on an edge whenever Wendy was in the same room as him.

He wasn’t an idiot, of course, noting that there was some sort of attraction towards the girl. What he didn’t get, however, was why he found the girl attractive in the first place.

Her presence annoyed him and she was always so perky. Mark didn’t need excited greetings in the morning. Mornings were supposed to be solemn, a sign to mourn of getting out of bed. To how one can consistently be so upbeat was something he never wanted to understand.

His eyes darted back to the email that he had been immersed with a few moments ago. The man sighed, as he minimised the tab and stared vacantly towards his desktop screen.

With Wendy probably out of his office for the next few days, it will be easier to concentrate on his proposals. Maybe it’s best he finishes them up before she started adorning his office with her cheery good mornings again.

--

Jinyoung looked on in amazement, before looking to that one coffee he held in his hand. He contemplated going back into the pantry to make another cup, but before he could, his eyes had met hers.

“Jin- Mr. Park!” Seulgi waved fondly.

Wendy, who was sitting right beside her, gave a knowing glance and snickered. Spending time with Seulgi allowed her to see how much the girl slipped up at work. She hadn’t meant anything bad by it for the girl found it cute. Seulgi had always struck her to be a very meticulous person, never allowing mistakes to slip past her. It was interesting to see how different the girl had been in front of a certain someone.

“Seulgi.” Jinyoung greeted her, his gaze soon falling into Wendy’s face. “Wendy. Uh, Seulgi, here. For you.”

He passed her the cup of coffee, before looking apologetically towards Wendy’s direction.

“Sorry.” He muttered sheepishly. “I only have one. I didn’t know you’d be here.”

“Oh, don’t mind me.” Wendy tried her hardest to control her laughter. “Please, carry on. Pretend I’m invisible or something.”

When Seulgi had turned really red in the face, Wendy couldn’t hold her laughter any longer.

She laughed.

“You caught on, huh.” Jinyoung grinned awkwardly, before staring at her seriously. “But honestly, Wendy, what are you doing here?”

“Oh!” She smiled and Jinyoung noted it was strange. The girl seemed happy to be here. “Mr. Tuan had asked me to help Seulgi out in some work, so here I am.”

“Really?” He looked on suspiciously. “But weren’t you covering the upcoming fashion show taking place in December?”

He noticed her eyes had met Seulgi’s, before shrugging her shoulders nonchalantly.

“I’m sorry, Mr. Jinyoung. I don’t really know what you’re talking about.”

He then narrowed his eyes in understanding. Of course. “Like I said, you can just call me Jinyoung. And yeah, sorry. I mistook you for Yugyeom.”

“How could you…” It was Seulgi who had turned suspicious this time round.

“Anyway!” He added a little too quickly. “I’m rushing off for a meeting. I’ll catch you girls later, all right?”

Jinyoung had left quickly, his feet taking him to the second floor. Instead of walking straight into his office like he normally would, the man had walked further in; walking straight to Mark’s office. A frown appeared on his face, before barging into the room; not bothering to knock on the door.

There were definitely things to be settled today. He knew it seemed hypocritical of him, for he always enjoyed his little white lies that were directed towards Mark; but Jinyoung definitely hated being lied to.

In his defense, the man had always come clean when he was being interrogated at. His lies were also in good fun and reasonable; that he made sure of with Yugyeom as his conspirator. He didn’t liked taking things too far.

A lie involving a major project, though?

Jinyoung shook his head at the absurdity of it all.

“Mark.” His tone was like a command instead, leaving the other man quite startled. “We need to talk.”

--

“There’s definitely something going on.” Seulgi rubbed her chin, sceptical at how odd Jinyoung had been.

“You think too much, Seulgi.” Wendy chided, concentrating on the work before her.

She shook her head, before turning worriedly towards her companion. How had the girl been so dense? Did she really believe that Jinyoung had mistaken Yugyeom for her? Seulgi, for one, could never imagine anyone mistaking the two.

“He doesn’t even have a meeting right now.” She pouted.

“And how would you know that?” The latter’s eyes were still on the papers before her.

“Because I also double as his personal assistant.” Seulgi grinned before frowning. “But no one was supposed to know that…. so… uh…”

Wendy’s ears finally perked at hearing this bit of information. Now this, was definitely more interesting than Seulgi’s overly suspicious imagination.

“I won’t tell anyone, I promise.”

Seulgi gulped.

Wendy had looked far too happy for her liking.


a/n I don't think this story can be fit into 5 chapters OTL probably 7? 

More MarkDy interactions will come next chapter (much more than the previous 3) 

I hoped you guys like the story so far! (: It's very liberating to be able to write things that I like and have people like it too xD

P.S I added a JinSeul tag because they're endgame as well! Putting my JaeGi bias aside, I hope more people will be inspired to write JinSeul stories cos they're cute af too :D