Chapter 1

Upside Down
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Mama, Papa… I’m going to Seoul.” I said, sitting next to my mother who was enjoying her afternoon tea, which I was about to ruin.

“Honey, what’s gotten into you?” she said, reaching a hand for my forehead to check if I was sick and talking nonsense.

“Mama, I’m completely healthy and speaking with full control over my brain” I rolled my eyes.

“Then what is this nonsense? You haven’t been here more than a few months and you want to leave again?” she was starting to get angry, I could tell. My father kept silence, drinking his tea and reading the news on his device.

“It’s been almost two years since I graduated and I’ve been working since then. You know how important it is to me to get a Master’s degree, Mama!” I pleaded, not wanting to upset her but at the same time I had to make compromises.

Since I had a very strong bond with my mother, I knew it’d be hard to convince her that I had to leave yet again after I had spent my college years away from home too.

My mother turned her head to my father who still didn’t say a word to agree or disagree. I saw her looking at him with pleading eyes, hoping that he would be on her side and disagree with my plans.

“Honey,” she started, urging him to say something. He just looked at us from behind his glasses, he sighed.

“Darling, let her go. She won’t achieve anything if you stop her every time” I almost jumped happily and tried to hide my smile since my mother wasn’t very happy at that moment. She huffed, expecting my father’s answer apparently.

“Mama, I promise I’ll try to finish within a year and come back, please I want to go after you give me your blessings” I took her hand in mine, side hugging her.

“Besides, you and Papa can come and visit any time and I’ll come spend all the holidays with you” I knew she was almost convinced but she was not happy still. My dad just smiled at my attempts of convincing my mother.

“Isn’t it too late to apply now for a master’s program?” I could tell she was still trying to find a way to stop me.

“I have already contacted the medical department at Seoul National University and applied for the master program and got accepted” I smiled innocently at my gawking mother.

“You sly girl, you prepared everything and you’re just telling me now?!” she scolded.

“Would you have agreed if I told you before I did all that?” I asked with a skeptical look.

“Of course not” she answered too quickly.

“Then I did a good job!” I laughed at my steaming mother, my father joined in the laughter without intervening much, since he would always support my decisions when it comes to improving my career and status.

“Where will you be staying then?” My mother asked, after she had cooled down and accepted the fact that I was determined on this.

“I’ll be staying in a hotel until I have finished preparing and refurnishing your apartment in Cheongdam-Dong and I’ll move there within a week hopefully” I said, as I had literally prepared for every single detail before throwing the news at my mother.

“Hmmm… your uncle will probably be visiting there more often now instead of sending his secretary to maintain his business with Mr. Lee” my father added, looking lost in his own thoughts.

“Ooh, right, I almost forgot about that, good thing to have a company

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter