002

Lost Stars

Beep. Beep. Beep. 

          The familiar sound of the heart rate monitor awakens the sleeping boy. His face was pale in an unhealthy color, his lips chapped and slightly pink, and dark bags were casted below his eyes. “Ah, good morning Mr. Jeon.” Jungkook’s primary doctor greeted him with a smile. Jungkook slightly nods his head in acknowledgement, but not saying anything. “Let’s take a look at your x-rays from yesterday, shall we?” Jungkook knew it wasn’t going to be good news. 

          The doctor pulled the series of x-rays of his lungs out; one from the day he was admitted and one from yesterday. The doctor wheeled around and placed them on the light panel. At the first look, the doctor frowned, and then he scowled even more as he looked into more detail. 

          “Jungkook, buddy, what’s going on here?” 

           Jungkook shrugged, acting like nothing was wrong. “I wish I could believe that.” The doctor sighed and wrote something down on his clipboard. The doctor talked a little, gesturing toward the cavities with the tip of his pen, like some bizarre PowerPoint presentation where Jungkook was both the subject and the viewer. 

           “This area is what we need to watch out for, to make sure these two lesions in the right lobe don’t get any bigger,” he said, speaking slowly and loudly that is was almost insulting. “Can you see what I’m talking about? These black shadows?” Jungkook nodded, waiting for him to continue. None of this was new to him though. He knew how to identify the small, tuberculosis lesions on an x-ray. He knew all about how the infection in his lungs affected the red blood cells that passed through them, which was what made this new strain of TB so much worse than the ones that had come before it. After the doctor’s brief explanation he checked Jungkook’s vitals and left, prescribing some medicine that would make him sleep more. 

“On the scale of one to ten,” he said, “rate your pain.” There are many types of pain. “Two.” He lied. 

The doctor smiled and jotted something down in his clipboard before leaving. Jungkook stared at the door blankly. 

Woe is me If we’re not careful turns into reality 

          Today a new lyric has came into mind. He lifted up his pillow and took out the notebook he had hidden when his parents came to visit last night, flipping through the pages and landing on the one where he left off. Jungkook jotted down the sudden lyrics when he suddenly stopped, a memory of her reoccurring in his head. 

Flashback 

“What, so you just happened to run to a café I normally go to five miles from here when there’s one right on campus?” 

“Yeah, what a coincident. And plus, the coffee at campus .” Cara shook her head to herself with a smile, holding a caramel macchiato in her hand as Jungkook held a plain, hot, black coffee in his. 

“Figured it out yet?” she asks, and Jungkook realized what she meant. 

“Once you find out why the rain is beautiful, come talk to me.” 

          “O-oh…” he said, smiling sheepishly white rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. “No.” Cara emitted a small chuckle, placing her macchiato down on the table, with her chin propped up on one elbow, a serious look casted upon her face. “Then don’t talk to me.” She deadpanned. Jungkook thought she was serious, and stood up slowly with his coffee before she erupted into laughter. “What are you, stupid?” 

          A wave of relief washed over Jungkook as he sat back down. “Well sorry for not telling the difference between your sarcasm and your normal tone of voice.” He grinned. “Well that’s because you don’t know me.” she smiled, showcasing a row of pearly whites. 

“I’m Jungkook.” Jungkook introduced himself, after realizing that he hadn’t done so yet. 

“I know.” She replied simply, fiddling with the hem of her sweater. Just when Jungkook was about to ask how she knew, Cara continued. “Professors Jeons’ troublesome child, Jeon Jungkook. Everyone knows you.” 

“Hey!” Jungkook protested, “I’m not a troublemaker.” 

“Sure, you aren’t.” 

“But I’m really not!”

           Cara giggled and took out the notebook she had the other day and jotted something down. He wanted to ask what she wrote but before he could she started coughing, trying to muffle it in the sleeve of her sweater. It sounded pretty bad so Jungkook and the rest of the people in the café stared at her uneasily, before she waved it off, saying that it was just a cold.

 “Just a cold.” 

Cara decided to take Jungkook on a mini rendezvous inside an old vintage thrift shop, where they kept old cd records like The Beatles and songs datingback to the sixties. “Guess what?” she asks excitedly, a grin plastered on her face as she hid a CD behind her back. “Hm?” Jungkook hummed, reverting his gaze from the old stack of alphabetized albums to Cara. “Guess who found the theme song to Cops on vinyl?” At first, Jungkook didn’t believe her, but when she held it out, it sure was there. Little did the two know they spent two hours in there, putting the CDs out of their alphabetized section and playing songs from the Beatles on record, messing around and having a genuine time together. 

That was what Jungkook cherished time the most.

Just Cara and the theme song to Cops, just sitting there for hours, not giving a damn about time nor reality.

End of Flashback

          Jungkook lied there, the pen still in his hand as the sudden memory came to mind. It was true. No wonder why the lyric came so suddenly. Jungkook pondered for a moment on how his lyric related to his memory. If we’re not careful turns into reality. They both weren’t careful. 

The two were in the midst of a dream and they weren’t careful enough about it, throwing them back to reality; where young love wasn’t meant to last and not every illness has a cure.

oh my god this is terrible pmsl but i hope you enjoyed it c’: