001

Lost Stars

   Who are we? Just a speck of dust within the galaxy.

          Jungkook shuts his notebook before reverting his gaze to the window, gazing at the pouring rain. The only sound that was heard was the pattering of the rain against his window. Leaning back to his bed, he flutters his eyes to a close, inhaling the scent of antiseptic he was used to. He pictured the antibiotics dripping into his body, and binding tight to the infection, and making him better. 

          Except they didn’t. 

          “Ah, you’re awake.” One of the nurses smiled, although he couldn’t see it under the surgical mask and heavy garments. “Have you eaten?” The frail boy shook his head, not uttering a word. The nurse sighed, shaking her head and typed something in her tablet. “Jungkook, if you want to get better then you have to eat. The antibiotics won’t work if you don’t get any proteins.” He stayed silent, instead of looking at the nurse he turned his head to look out the window. What’s the point of eating? He thought, the medication doesn’t work either way. Both him and the nurse knew that the antibiotics aren’t going to work, that they were just enough to keep him alive, not cured. So she tried to change the subject. “What do you write in that notebook?” She asked, pointing to the small leathery notebook on Jungkook’s lap. He doesn’t bat an eye nor does he respond, and the nurse understood that he just wanted to be alone. “Alrighty then. I’ll be down the hallway if you need me. Just press the button on your remote.” She slipped out of the room, and everything became almost silent again. A sigh escaped from his chapped lips as he reminisced about the past. He closes his eyes once again, and the memories flood back into his mind, as if it was all fresh and new memories.

 Take my hand and let’s see where we wake up tomorrow. 

Flashback. 

          It was raining, and Jungkook was quite agitated how he hadn’t brought his umbrella or a jacket with him. He always hated rain, how messy it was, how wet it was, how cold it was. He despised the rainy weather. “Sh*t.” he muttered, realizing that he would have to run under the rain to reach his hyung’s apartment. He looked up at the sky with a scowl on his face. Why is Seattle so cold? He thought. Jungkook has been living in Seattle, Washington for almost 13 months. His parents were philosophers at a university there and the school gave Jungkook a full-ride since his parents worked there. Jungkook reached out an arm, felling the raindrops patter on the palm of his hand. He looked away from the sky and sighed in frustration, looking both ways of the road before crossing. And that’s when he saw her. 

          A girl, with long black hair and a fragile body, was holding her arm out into the rain and looking up to the sky, just like how he had done it a few moments ago. But it was with a different expression. She had on a small smile, her expressions were nothing short of sweet and serene. Judging by her looks it seems like she hadn’t brought her umbrella either. Jungkook crossed the street and walked towards her cautiously. She caught him walking towards her and faced him with a smile. 

          “Beautiful, isn’t it?” she said. Jungkook scowled at her before looking out into the rain. “What’s so beautiful about rain?” the girl giggled, though he couldn’t really see it since brought her hand up to her cherry red lips. “You can figure that out on your own.” She replied curtly. 

          “What-“ Jungkook began to question but was cut off from his phone ringing, indicating that he had a call. Jungkook fished out his phone from his pocket only to see that it was his Jimin hyung calling. He swiped the answer button and brought his phone up to his ear. “Yah, Kookie! Where are you? Everyone’s waiting for you!” a cheery voice was heard on the other end of the line. “I’ll be there in a bit hyung. I was just busy talking-“ Jungkook abruptly stopped when he realized the girl was walking away. “H-hold on, Jimin.” He could hear his hyung going wild from the fact that Jungkook had just talked to him informally. “Wait!” he called out to the girl. She turned around to find him standing before her again. “What’s your name?” he asked. She could still hear the lecturing of another guy on the phone but it was muffled. She gave him a soft smile as a name rolled off her tongue. 

          “Cara.” She fished out a brown leathery notebook from her back and scribbled something inside it, her eyes furrowing in concentration. Being the curious boy he is, Jungkook asked, “What did you write in there?” Cara closed her small notebook and places it back into her bag. 

God, tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young.” 

          Jungkook first didn’t quite understand what she meant, but then he realized: it was a lyric. “Don’t you have to be somewhere, Sonic?” she asked teasingly, a hint of smile forming on her face. “Oh, uhm… yeah.” He replied, rubbing the back of his neck when he realized that he had to be at Jimin’s house. 

“So…” 

“So…” Cara teased. “I’ll see you around?” the boy asked with hopes. Cara sighed and shook her head to herself, smiling. 

“Once you find out why the rain is beautiful, come talk to me.” 

End of Flashback 

          Jungkook must have been out for a while, because when he woke up, it was completely dark outside and the lights in his room were dimmed down. Jungkook reached up a hand to rub his forehead but before he could do so he started coughing. It was getting worse. He could feel it. He could feel his lungs slowly collapsing with every coughs. Trying to muffle his coughing fit, Jungkook brought a handkerchief to his lips and coughed on it. After regaining his normal breathing Jungkook removed the handkerchief from his lips to look at it. What was once white was now blood red. Jungkook reached up a hand to brush his lips only to find that they were stained with his blood too. 

          “Sh*t.” he muttered, stuffing away the napkin. Jungkook took the water bottle next to him and took a gulp before his lips, hoping the bloodstain isn’t as visible. A sigh escaped his lips as he slouched back in bed, staring at the ceiling with a stoic expression. He closed his eyes for a brief moment before reaching for his notebook, scribbling something inside.

Turn the page maybe we’ll find a brand new ending.